LG L246W

I've been thinking about getting this monitor for a little while now, but some of the issues stated recently kinda made me rethink. If someone can clear up some of these for me, I may have a better idea of what I should do. The fact that it won't turn back on from standby and the fact that the 1:1 won't stick if you switch inputs seems really annoying. Also, I read on Jim Robin's review that he tested his HD DVD through HDMI on 1080i. I thought this monitor is capable of 1080p? I was planning on buying a PS3 later in the year and would like to have a monitor that can output 1080p.

Also, has anybody tried hooking up a PS2 through component and how does it look? I'm also a gamer and I would like to know if my 7900GT is capable of playing at native res for games like BF2 and Oblivion (may consider buying Supreme Commander).

Well, I took back the first one and went to a different BB and the second looks the same. So, I guess it's just how it is. It's not that bad and if I move my head it goes away, so I guess I'll have to keep this one since I figure they're all pretty much like this. I know one of you said your's didn't have any yellow tint on the lower right, well I guess it's not yellow, but looks a little darker when your eyes and head are placed towards the middle of the screen. But, if you check again on a completely white background you may see it.

...the fact that the 1:1 won't stick if you switch inputs seems really annoying...

from what i've seen, this will only happen if you go to 1920x1200 and back to the other resolution. i haven't been able to try it on anything other than pc though, so i can only give an opinion. i think it will stay at 1:1 as long as you don't hit 1920x1200 :)

edit: also, nvidia cards can scale 1:1 or aspect fill if the monitor can't. unfortunately, i have an ATI :(

I've had my first LCD screen for about a month now and changing from a 19" CRT has been challenging on the colour side of things
Use:
-Simple gaming
-Photography & Video
-Hacking, plenty of programs running.

For my use this new 24" LG screen is Fantastic. Very good color, good blacks, fast, excellent screen overall (no flaws). I give it a 4/5.

Lox

Lox, do you notice a darker tint on the lower right side when you have a white background? But, as you move to the right side it basically goes away?

bootstrap & gman:

Re: a darker tint in the lower-right corner, I don't see one on mine. I will fool around some more and let you know what I figure out.

Question to owners: what color profile do you run? User, sRGB, 6500K? The sRGB and 6500K colors seem to be great, whereas if I run user and put brightness at 63, it seems to be great. What do you guys set things to?

Second question: what color profiling software do you recommend for the PC? I do graphic design.

I have the 245WP-BN.

The only difference I have seen between this and the 246WP-BN is that the 246 has the power light in a different spot than on mine. It has a little bump on the bottom, sort of a half diamond, whereas my 245 model has a simple 90-degree corner light on the lower-right corner. Anyone know any other differences?

I'm going to assume these are the exact same panels besides a case design change. If anyone can confirm this or give detail, that would be great.

bootstrap & gman:

Re: a darker tint in the lower-right corner, I don't see one on mine. I will fool around some more and let you know what I figure out.
That's good to know, thanks XeeN. I hadn't heard of this at all before gman mentioned it -- I believe he's had two of these from different places and found the problem on both, so I'm hoping he just has very bad luck (no offense, gman :)) as I was planning to buy this display very soon.

The only difference I have seen between this and the 246WP-BN is that the 246 has the power light in a different spot than on mine. It has a little bump on the bottom, sort of a half diamond, whereas my 245 model has a simple 90-degree corner light on the lower-right corner. Anyone know any other differences?

I'm going to assume these are the exact same panels besides a case design change. If anyone can confirm this or give detail, that would be great.
Yes, this is correct. Someone at anandtech wrote to LG and asked, and he was told that they both use the same P-MVA panel. The only difference is case design; I'm not sure if both models are available everywhere, but in the US and Canada, the L246WP is for retail (B&M) stores, and the L245WP is for online resellers.

Well, I've fiddle around with the User setting and reduced the Brightness to 50 and Contrast to 60 and it looks much better. Not sure why it helps, but seems to make a difference. Not sure I should 'have' to do that though. I looked at the 24" Gateway today at BB, but I'm not sure if it's better than this one especially in the backlight bleed area. I wonder if on this LG I somehow got 2 from the same batch and they both had the same issue. I know it's not unheard of for this to happen.

Well, I've fiddle around with the User setting and reduced the Brightness to 50 and Contrast to 60 and it looks much better. Not sure why it helps, but seems to make a difference. Not sure I should 'have' to do that though. I looked at the 24" Gateway today at BB, but I'm not sure if it's better than this one especially in the backlight bleed area. I wonder if on this LG I somehow got 2 from the same batch and they both had the same issue. I know it's not unheard of for this to happen.

gman, question for you: at 1900x1200, how much space does this darker tint take up on your monitors that you've had? I know it must not be much at all, but give me a better reference to look at in detail. For instance, in Windows XP on the taskbar, how large is your dark tint in the corner? Is it just faint around the edge of the PM/AM on the clock there or larger, taking up an inch or so? I'll do some more tests with mine with brightness/contrast to see if I can get something to show up.

question 2, now that I think about it: how far from your head is the monitor when you see this tint?

question 3: do you use the 15-pin connector or HDMI? I use DVI to HDMI.

I'm going to switch to this thread to answer some questions about the 245 since the 245 and 246 are confirmed to be identical other than case design and retail availability. Here goes, quotes come from the other post.

As for what you can review, XeeN, a general overview of your impressions about the monitor would certainly be nice (color, ghosting, any backlight bleeding, viewing angles, etc). Also, I suppose this is a long shot, but I still haven't found anyone who owns this monitor and a Wii, and I'd really like to know how good the Wii looks over component input. Other than this, though, anything you can tell us is useful, it's always good to have multiple people giving their impressions of the same monitor so we can tell whether any problems are normal or just flukes. Thanks!

bootstrap: I'll try to answer what I can now, and then will flesh out answers as I have more time with the display... but here goes:

Color: First of all, for my graphic design work the colors are absolutely incredible. I'm testing this next to a CRT built for good graphic design color reproduction and calibration, so I'm very impressed. At its default brightness/contrast, it's so clear and sharp and the colors pop so much that they are actually brighter than what they come out to be in CMYK printing processes. I'm going to be calibrating the LCD as best I can and I've found that by lowering my brightness to around the 40-50 range, I get a good representation of final CMYK print colors that appear on brochures and whatnot. For normal use I'm keeping brightness at 63.

Backlight bleeding: none that I can see. With the monitor on I see no fading on either side or in corners, and see no change of brightness level on the screen. The display also fills my screen perfectly and I have no parts of the desktop going off the edges.

Viewing angles: At extreme viewing angles of the "178 degree" sort, the screen's coating seems to barely reflect light off the walls in my apartment. With the lights off, the blacks stay very black. The perfect viewing angle for me is of course straight in front of the monitor, at which point I can have lights on in my apartment and not see any reflections or glare.

Ghosting: I'll get back to you on this once I test more, but none so far. I'll be doing much more testing the more I own it, obviously, and I'm eager to report back here.

XeeN - I'd be very interested to know how component fares on this monitor. I've been thinking about getting the BenQ for ages and was on the verge of doing so when I found out about this model:rolleyes: , but as the LG is £70 less in the UK, then I'f rather go with it if component gets the thumbs up. It's a pity they didn't stick a DVI input on it, but that's something I can probably live without.

Marmotta: I will see how soon I can test that. Would you be using this from a console or something? I was disappointed about the DVI until I realized that the DVI-HDMI cable included with my screen works perfectly (and in my opinion better) than the 15-pin.

Hi,
I would be very interested in "Input Lag" of this screen. Specifically, how many milliseconds delay versus a clone CRT displaying identical sources such as virtual stopwatch. ;)

My quest for 1920x1200, 8-bit pixels, low response time AND no-input-lag continues!

DMP, if you have any application or good large test you can point me to and instruct me how to track this, I will. I found a very large javascript timer with miliseconds on it online, and had my displays cloned. I'm running the DVI-HDMI cable to my monitor and I like it better than my 15 pin cable. I stared past the middle of the two monitors so my eyes could track changes in the milliseconds and I could not see any difference. They were changing quickly. I also just watched as the seconds ticked by in large text to see if there was any delay, and it seemed like the transition (to me) happened instantly. I've gamed for years and my eyes get bothered by anything lower than 75Hz on a monitor, so I've become accustomed to small changes in refresh rates, but I don't know if my experience benefits us here. Like I said, if you have any recommendations for something else for me to test this with, please let me know how. I get extremely bothered by any input-lag whatsoever - I mean I can't stand it... so for now, it seems perfect to me. I'll report more as I do more testing.

DMP, if you have any application or good large test you can point me to and instruct me how to track this, I will. I found a very large javascript timer with miliseconds on it online, and had my displays cloned. I'm running the DVI-HDMI cable to my monitor and I like it better than my 15 pin cable. I stared past the middle of the two monitors so my eyes could track changes in the milliseconds and I could not see any difference. They were changing quickly. I also just watched as the seconds ticked by in large text to see if there was any delay, and it seemed like the transition (to me) happened instantly. I've gamed for years and my eyes get bothered by anything lower than 75Hz on a monitor, so I've become accustomed to small changes in refresh rates, but I don't know if my experience benefits us here. Like I said, if you have any recommendations for something else for me to test this with, please let me know how. I get extremely bothered by any input-lag whatsoever - I mean I can't stand it... so for now, it seems perfect to me. I'll report more as I do more testing.
Thanks for your impressions, XeeN, they are very helpful. As for input lag, I think the timer is a good way to test it, but it's helpful if you use a digital camera instead of your eyes. :) Just snap a lot of pictures of both monitors with the timer running in clone mode and then you can compute the average discrepancy. Jim Robbins did this in his showdown here (and here's a picture of his lag test setup), and he found the lag to be around 22ms. Obviously the timer you use needs to have millisecond accuracy or else you'd be hard pressed to find any difference. I'd be curious to see how your results compare.

Thanks again for your help. :)

gman, question for you: at 1900x1200, how much space does this darker tint take up on your monitors that you've had? I know it must not be much at all, but give me a better reference to look at in detail. For instance, in Windows XP on the taskbar, how large is your dark tint in the corner? Is it just faint around the edge of the PM/AM on the clock there or larger, taking up an inch or so? I'll do some more tests with mine with brightness/contrast to see if I can get something to show up.

question 2, now that I think about it: how far from your head is the monitor when you see this tint?

question 3: do you use the 15-pin connector or HDMI? I use DVI to HDMI.

In 1900x1200 it's about 11/2 to 2 inches from the edge of the frame. It seems to be worse closer to the bottom. It's only on the right side, none of the left. Like I said I adjusted the Brightness and Contrast and that helped, but I don't think I should have to do that.

My head is about 3 feet.

I'm using HDMI.

I'm not sure if I got both of these from the same batch or not. I'm thinking of trying 1 more and a different batch #. If it's the same then I guess that's just how they are and I learn to live with it. I've read to many negative things on the Gateway 24".

Looking at it again tonight with just a white background on the whole screen it kinda goes from normal to sort of a yellow/tan color starting about 2/3 of the way from left to right. It's just weird as hell.

I'm beginning to think it's just a viewing angle issue because if I move to the right it goes away and looks like it should. I don't know exactly how is anti-glare done whether it's sprayed on or the sheet is made anti-glare in the manufacturing process.

I guess I'm going to try 1 more in a different batch and see how it goes. If it's the same then they all must be that way, though there are some here who don't seem to see it. I know I'm not imagining it. :eek:

Just ordered a L245W-BN for Newegg (a bit more expensive than other shops, but you pay for the service). I had to leave my Westinghouse 37" in storage due to a temp. job assignment :( Hopefully the LG is as good as people say it is :)

I'm beginning to think it's just a viewing angle issue because if I move to the right it goes away and looks like it should. I don't know exactly how is anti-glare done whether it's sprayed on or the sheet is made anti-glare in the manufacturing process.

I guess I'm going to try 1 more in a different batch and see how it goes. If it's the same then they all must be that way, though there are some here who don't seem to see it. I know I'm not imagining it. :eek:

gman, I've done some more testing and viewing of my L245WP-BN and I don't see any tinting at all on mine. Would you like me to get you my batch #? I have not tried switching back to my 15-pin cable but you mentioned you were also using the DVI->HDMI cable.

You aren't seeing a reflection of your desk or any part of the room you're in, right? If I turn all the lights on in my apartment and view the screen from an angle, I get faint reflections of other surfaces of course... if I viewed it too high I'd see a bit of my desk. I'm sure you've thought of that, but I just thought I'd mention it. Since you've seen two with the same issue, make sure there's no chance of it just being a reflection of something in your environment.

Bootstrap: I'll be doing some more timing testing when I get a chance. I'll be using my digital camera. I read the guy's review you pointed to and it's funny - I have the exact same CRT he has. I'm almost sad to stop using it. It's been so good to me. =P Anyways, I'll let you know what average I find, as well as highs, lows, and I may try the 15-pin cable vs. the HDMI to see if there is any difference that way. I'm wondering how many milliseconds a cable adds, and if there would be a way to get a better cable somehow that might shave off more time. Do you think a cable could make that much of a difference unless we somehow got optical DVI-HDMI cables? Do those exist?

Bootstrap: I'll be doing some more timing testing when I get a chance. I'll be using my digital camera. I read the guy's review you pointed to and it's funny - I have the exact same CRT he has. I'm almost sad to stop using it. It's been so good to me. =P Anyways, I'll let you know what average I find, as well as highs, lows, and I may try the 15-pin cable vs. the HDMI to see if there is any difference that way. I'm wondering how many milliseconds a cable adds, and if there would be a way to get a better cable somehow that might shave off more time. Do you think a cable could make that much of a difference unless we somehow got optical DVI-HDMI cables? Do those exist?
Sounds good -- thanks again, XeeN. I did a search for optical DVI cables, and apparently they exist (this was news to me), but I honestly doubt they'll make any perceptible difference. Maybe in latency, but certainly not in image quality. In any case, any latency caused by the cable is probably negligible. The real source of input lag is in the image processing that goes on before the image is displayed -- things like resolution scaling, video enhancements, etc. I'm certainly no expert, but compared to these things I'd think latency from the cables would be orders of magnitude smaller and wouldn't make any real world difference (but again this is just my guess, someone else feel free to correct me :)). It would be interesting to see if there's a noticeable difference when using the monitor's native resolution and when using a lower resolution with the monitor's scaler (instead of the video card's).

Looking forward to your results! :)

I'm going to post my results later tonight when I get a chance, but I'm really surprised. The majority of my shots, at 1/400th of a second, showed the monitors as being equal. The longest delay I was able to record on shots was at 21ms, but the rest of the time they were equal or the LCD showed traces of the last time displayed and was drawing the same time as the CRT over the old time. Anyways, I'm impressed and will post a number of my photos here later. It seems like the delay fluctuates, because I also got a 15ms and 11ms delay types in there too. The main thing that freaked me out was when they were equal. That's... good...

See you guys back here later.

Xeen, I really appreciate your input. Yea I thought about the reflection part so I swiveled the monitor to change what's behind it, but it didn't help.

I actually took it back today and I'm going to try a Gateway. I hope it's not crap.

I really liked the LG, but it's been kinda of frustrating. I guess it's possible I got 2 from the same batch, but I did get them from different stores, so what are the odds?

Let me have your batch#, I haven't open the GW yet, so I may still try another LG. I think both of the ones I had were made in Jan. 2007. How about yours?

Thanks

Let me have your batch#, I haven't open the GW yet, so I may still try another LG. I think both of the ones I had were made in Jan. 2007. How about yours?

gman:

1. How can I determine my batch #? Where do I look?
2. The back of my 245WP-BN (by the cables) says mine was manufactured in March 2007. Wow... 2 months old. That does give 2 months on the two that you've tried... who knows? 3rd time's the charm? Good luck with the Gateway - perhaps it'll be a great one. You have to go through the pain of taking things back, but I suppose you'll be with this piece of hardware for a long time, so who knows... is there any other way to get a different LG from another batch?

Well, I got it from BB and they have a batch # on the box, but it may not mean anything. I have a feeling most of the LG's here in Charlotte may be possibly made around the same time, so I don't know if I could even get one that looks ok. I don't think too many people pay this much for monitors so inventory doesn't rotate too often.

I think for now I'll just try the GW and hope I get lucky. If not I'll take it back and just get a refund and hold off till later for a larger monitor. It's a shame we have to go through this s&#t to find a good monitor.

Here are some of my timing results. It seriously looks like the LG is either half a frame behind on some, or something very very small. So far in using this monitor I have seen no blurring whatsoever with fast movement or anything. My eyes are pretty sensitive so I've been very happy so far. Let me know what you guys translate from these images:

IMG_1091.jpg

What interested me in the pic below is that I can see the crystals lighting up to display 39 on the LCD. It's close behind the CRT.
IMG_1088.jpg

IMG_1094.jpg

IMG_1101.jpg

IMG_1103.jpg

I was able to catch it 21ms behind in this one:
IMG_1104.jpg

15ms behind in this one:
IMG_1110.jpg

IMG_1112.jpg

IMG_1113.jpg

Looks to me like it's drawing ahead of the CRT. It seems like the next frames were drawn "upwards" on the LCD rather than down. There is also the possibility that the 68 was from the last frame.
faster.jpg

Here are some of my timing results. It seriously looks like the LG is either half a frame behind on some, or something very very small. So far in using this monitor I have seen no blurring whatsoever with fast movement or anything. My eyes are pretty sensitive so I've been very happy so far. Let me know what you guys translate from these images:

Excellent, thanks!

Very useful results: I don't think I've seen LCD approach times like this before. :cool:

Cool results, XeeN. It's pretty clear that the LG latency is very low, and that's good enough for me. :)

I've done some game testing on it now. The colors are incredible of course, and that carries over to games. I'd definately say that Vsync is needed because I was actually able to pick up slight tearing when I was playing on a level and getting around 200fps. I only noticed it on corners. With vsync on this thing looks perfect, and like I've mentioned before as a gamer I can't stand anything below 75Hz or else I go crazy from the slight flicker. Even at 60Hz, 1920x1200, I can't see any flicker whatsoever and I couldn't feel any input delay. I'm pretty sensitive to that as well... I've had friend's wireless mice drive me crazy with a few ms delay, and if this LCD had a good input delay that would mean death for me in online games.

I'll keep reporting back as I learn more. Still, though, everything's looking great.

Oh - on a graphic design standpoint, I've done some color tests versus my Mitsubishi 22" Diamond Pro 2070SB-BK (Diamondtron) CRT. If I lower the brightness to 40 and contrast to 50, I can almost get close to how dim the CRT looks in comparison along with the color brightness. However, I've been doing design at 100 brightness and 100 contrast, and it's been wonderful because I've been able to see details that I would normally miss from lack of brightness. I just adjust it down to 40/50 to see what it will look like in print, and then I'm set.

I know that the color gamut is less on this LCD than on a CRT, especially the 2070SB, but if there is a difference in color reproduction my eyes aren't trained to see that. My clients still love the work, so what can you say. I love this - it's a perfect combination of color and speed, so I feel like I have the perfect display for me as a graphic designer and gamer.

I say nix the complaint about a lack of DVI input - I'm using the DVI->HDMI. The only thing I guess you could complain about is if you wanted to use the HDMI input for some other source... but I don't want to use it for anything else, so I'm really happy.

Any of you guys have more questions?

So only one person has anything seriously negative to say about this monitor (the yellow/dark coloring) and he maybe just had bad luck?

So only one person has anything seriously negative to say about this monitor (the yellow/dark coloring) and he maybe just had bad luck?

He tested both monitors and they came from the same batch. His were manufactured in January 2007, mine was March 2007. I really hope more who purchase this monitor can report more findings. He's going to try another batch if possible, after he tries a Gateway 24".

So I decided on a whim to go out and get this monitor at my local BB. I had previously bought and returned a Gateway 24 because I was so unhappy with it. PC looks great obviously, PS3 over HDMI looks phenomenal, and so does the 360. I was a bit scared because so many were having problems with the 1:1 scaling over VGA with the 360, but I am glad that I tried. At 1920*1080 over the 360 VGA cable I get black bars at the top and bottom of the screen, same with the PS3. The new spring 07 update must have fixed the problem others have had. Also with the 360 update you can expand the black levels, right now I am running intermediate and it is so good I almost cry. I am probably the pickiest person in the world and I am so far completely satisfied. Anyone want pics or any other info let me know. I'll report back after the weekend unless you guys need something.

Well, the Gateway doesn't look too bad, but it has back light bleed from all for corners though it's not too bad, but there are two areas on the right hand side about an 1 inch from the top and one at the bottom where it looks like something is pushing up again the screen from the inside of the monitor. Therefore it has some light bleeding around them, doesn't look to good.

LG here I come. If BB will let me exchange one more time I'm going to get another LG and see how it looks. If it's the same and I'm beginning to think it has something to do with my viewing angle or better than I'll probably stick with the LG. It is a great monitor.

With vsync on this thing looks perfect, and like I've mentioned before as a gamer I can't stand anything below 75Hz or else I go crazy from the slight flicker. Even at 60Hz, 1920x1200, I can't see any flicker whatsoever and I couldn't feel any input delay
Just a quick point -- the refresh rate on an LCD means something slightly different than on a CRT. The image on a CRT immediately fades out as soon as it's drawn, so it has to be constantly redrawn to give the appearance of a solid image. This is why you perceive flicker when the refresh rate is too low. On an LCD, the image is "always on", since it's essentially just a backlight being shined through a bunch of tiny filters -- if the image is static, there is no flicker. The "refresh rate" only refers to how often the monitor receives updates from the input device as to what the current image should be. So while tearing is still a legitimate problem, you shouldn't expect to see any "flicker" on an LCD regardless of the refresh rate. This is why many people prefer LCDs for office work, where the images are largely static. The flipside, of course, is that since the image isn't being cleared between each redraw, ghosting becomes a big problem in video and games, since the image is still being displayed during the transition between frames.

I am glad that you've confirmed the lack of input lag during gaming, though, it's nice to have positive subjective feedback in addition to your other tests. :)

So I decided on a whim to go out and get this monitor at my local BB. I had previously bought and returned a Gateway 24 because I was so unhappy with it. PC looks great obviously, PS3 over HDMI looks phenomenal, and so does the 360. I was a bit scared because so many were having problems with the 1:1 scaling over VGA with the 360, but I am glad that I tried. At 1920*1080 over the 360 VGA cable I get black bars at the top and bottom of the screen, same with the PS3. The new spring 07 update must have fixed the problem others have had. Also with the 360 update you can expand the black levels, right now I am running intermediate and it is so good I almost cry. I am probably the pickiest person in the world and I am so far completely satisfied. Anyone want pics or any other info let me know. I'll report back after the weekend unless you guys need something.
Were you running the 360 at 1080i or 1080p? Either way, it's great if this monitor now supports other "non-PC" resolutions over VGA, that should make console owners happy.

LG here I come. If BB will let me exchange one more time I'm going to get another LG and see how it looks. If it's the same and I'm beginning to think it has something to do with my viewing angle or better than I'll probably stick with the LG. It is a great monitor.
Good luck, gman. I hope the third time's a charm. Let us know how it goes.

I dunno if it was 1080i or p, the VGA resolutions all show up as well as 1920*1080 which is what I have it set at. How can I tell?

The new spring 07 update must have fixed the problem others have had. Also with the 360 update you can expand the black levels, right now I am running intermediate and it is so good I almost cry. I am probably the pickiest person in the world and I am so far completely satisfied. Anyone want pics or any other info let me know. I'll report back after the weekend unless you guys need something.

Hey Whoodie, when you look on the back panel, when does it say your LG was manufactured? Just wondering. And when you talk about expanding black levels, are you talking about the XBox control doing that?

Just a quick point -- the refresh rate on an LCD means something slightly different than on a CRT.

Thanks for that info bootstrap. That makes sense. I couldn't see any ghosting and I loaded up some bright levels with high contrast colors to see if I could make something blur or ghost. My eyes couldn't tell if there was any ghosting at all. I'm going to test more with vsync and framerates in the games to see what results I get.

One more thing - I have found that my monitor resumes from standby just fine, but if it's been on standby for a long time, I sometimes have to push the power button twice to turn it off and have it come back on. I'm going to do some testing to see if it's my PC controls not sending a strong signal to the monitor or something else. Just wanted to report on this. For me, it's no issue - I like turning off the monitor since I figure that will save on it's quality over time (normally I leave my PC on 24/7). It only stays in standby (so far) when I'm afk for hours... but the wierd thing is I could swear this returns from standby sometimes when I come back after a long time. I dunno. More testing. I think it's between my PC turning the monitor off from power settings and then not sending a strong enough signal to the monitor to wake it back up. Like I said - time for more testing and I'll report on this later.

Well got another LG though I have not hooked it up yet. For some reason I had to wait forever at BB with my 1 year old so that the Geek Idiot could check the Gateway I returned. It did have some screen problems, but they couldn't see it because it sssooo bright in the store. At first I thought that they were going to say well we don't see anything wrong with it so you can't return it, but of course that's not their policy. They could have just told me to go and get what I wanted, because I thought I had to wait for them to examine the GW.

Anyway, I hope this one is better. I'm planning on keeping this one.:rolleyes:

Xeen, My panel was manufactured in February 2007. Yeah the expanding black levels are in the Xbox display control panel. I accidentally left my computer on all night last night, the monitor took a bit of time to wake up but did so just fine, IIRC the Gateway that I had took a while as well.

Well, the last one I got looked pretty good then.....DEAD PIXELS!! I just cannot catch a break. I'm thinking of just getting a refund and staying with my LG 20" for now. AAHHHH!!:eek:

Well, the last one I got looked pretty good then.....DEAD PIXELS!! I just cannot catch a break. I'm thinking of just getting a refund and staying with my LG 20" for now. AAHHHH!!:eek:
Oh man, you must have the worst luck ever... did this one at least not have the discoloring problem you mentioned earlier? I guess that would be some progress.

Oh man, you must have the worst luck ever... did this one at least not have the discoloring problem you mentioned earlier? I guess that would be some progress.

2 out of the 3 LG 24's i've used had dead pixels. my new NEC has a few too :mad:

Yea, this one looked better and I was going to keep it until I saw the dead pixels.

Oh, well not sure what I'm going to do now.

I'm certainly no expert, but compared to these things I'd think latency from the cables would be orders of magnitude smaller and wouldn't make any real world difference (but again this is just my guess, someone else feel free to correct me :)).

This is true. A good rule of thumb for signal propagation time is approximately one nanosecond per six inches, so if you have a 6-foot cable, you can expect about 12 ns of delay through the cable, or 12 millionths of a millisecond.

Optical DVI would only halve the latency through the cable itself to 6 ns, while adding delay (maybe significant, maybe not, depending on the implementation) in the transmitter and receiver at each end. The only purpose of optical DVI would be to increase the distance a video signal can travel without loss of integrity.

So, yeah. Don't worry about the cable.

Back