LG L246W

Well I am about 1 hour away from last final!!:) After I finish I may just go grab it after on my way from school. I need an outlet and I have my computer all ready just waiting for Stalker, C&C3, HL2, Sup Commander. There is a triple rewards point card I have. But it does not start till tomarrow. Mabey I can get them to give it to me today. Who knows, But I will get this monitor by tomarrow at the lastest.

I just finished updating nvidia drivers and played with the settings and wow this display really rocks now! Blacks are deep and colors are just right, I am trying and can't find anything to complain about this monitor, 1:1 seems to work fine for my needs, perhaps the only thing I could think of would be the round base style. While I originally thought this would be a try and return purchase, I decided to keep it. Oh and the funny thing I realized, I got a price match but the other monitor was the L245W :D Yeah my search for a good 24" monitor stops here for now.

Looks like Best Buy's put this monitor on sale this week for $649. Wasn't out for very long before they discounted it, I hope the prices continue to slide. :) For anyone who just bought this monitor at $699, I believe Best Buy will refund you the difference if you go to customer service with your receipt.

Seems the new Westinghouse is also on sale this week...

Thanks for the earlier recommendations in this thread!

On Sunday I ran to BestButy to pick one of these up. I really like it! I'm moving form a 4+ year old Viewsonic 19" CRT to this. It takes up oh-so-much less desk space (well, front to back, anyway) and is much crisper for the programming and surfing I do. After calibrating with a GMB i1 Display, it looks fantastic.

Dan

I purchased one of these today from the local Best Buy shop. So far, I'm impressed. I'll be using it only for PC use since I am not a gamer of any type. At one time, I owned one of the Gateway 24 in screens and I think the LG is superior to that. I did have to turn down the brightness setting but that's it. I'm pretty happy with the monitor thus far.

I went to my local BB (Chattanooga) a few days ago to check out the new 24" LG in person. They didn't carry it yet. :( Dude that works in that department said it might be a month or so before they started carrying it. :rolleyes:

Still loving mine and the only thing I would love to see personally is an extra HDMI and USB port. I have been trying different settings and so far and the only real change is to reduce brightness to 49%, and colors down to 90%

I've been reading that the LG doesn't scale to PC aspect ratios. Does this mean that you cannot use a program in anything but the native resolution? I would think this would be bad for some games. And how about the bootup screen before the system goes into windows XP?

Scales to 1:1 pixel ratio at the store, or fills the whole screen. It didn't appear to support
stretching with aspect ratio intact. The display was using only VGA so the other inputs may
act differently.

C Snyder

My display has started... acting weird. It'll black out for an instant, or even as long as a second, then come back to normal display. It's almost like it lost the signal briefly or something. Similarly, every once in a while I see the display jump. Like for the briefest moment, the display will have shifted every pixel on-screen up by 100 pixels.

This can't be right. Should I trade it for a different one?

Dan

My display has started... acting weird. It'll black out for an instant, or even as long as a second, then come back to normal display. It's almost like it lost the signal briefly or something. Similarly, every once in a while I see the display jump. Like for the briefest moment, the display will have shifted every pixel on-screen up by 100 pixels.

Dan

Exactly what my FP241W started doing.... They have the same panel if i'm correct???
:confused::(

Has anyone who owns this monitor ever tried hooking it up to a Gamecube/Wii or any other device at 480p with component? I noticed Jim didn't try 480p in his review, although other resolutions over component seemed to work well. I'm thinking of getting this monitor, and I'd like to get a Wii in the future, so it would be helpful if someone can confirm that 480p works over component with all the scaling options and such. Thanks. :)

there is no dvi connection. included is a dvi - hdmi cable, BA005.

there is no dvi connection. included is a dvi - hdmi cable, BA005.

Yes I know. What I am saying is I wish they had put a DVI port as well as the HDMI like BenQ.

You know, HDMI for PS3 and DVI for PC. It would save having to swap the cables all the time.

In fact it's because the BenQ has both, it's the reason why I am going to purchase the BenQ.

LG should learn from this and stop being so stingy.

Yes I know. What I am saying is I wish they had put a DVI port as well as the HDMI like BenQ.
In fact it's because the BenQ has both, it's the reason why I am going to purchase the BenQ.

LG should learn from this and stop being so stingy.

According to the LG website, they include a DVI to HDMI adapter. If so, what's the big deal? Just use your existing DVI cable.

Mofongo

According to the LG website, they include a DVI to HDMI adapter. If so, what's the big deal? Just use your existing DVI cable.

Mofongo
I think his point was that since there's only one HDMI, you can only plug in one digital device at once. If they included HDMI + DVI or even two HDMI's, then you could leave both a PS3 and the PC plugged in all the time and just use the input button to toggle between the two. As it is now, you need to manually switch cables.

Of course, you could always get an external HDMI switcher... Monoprice has them starting at around $30, but if you want a box with many inputs and a remote it can get pretty pricey.

Sorry to bump this again, but I'd still like to know if anyone has successfully hooked up a Wii to this monitor over component. I've heard the Wii has had problems with some TVs over component at 480p, so it would be helpful to me if someone can verify whether it works on this monitor. Thanks :)

I would primarily be using this monitor for normal PC use and Xbox 360 gaming. I am aware that it only supports 1080i via component for the 360. Is there a huge difference between 1080p and 1080i?

CompUSA has this monitor for $639 after a $60 mail in rebate. Someone go buy one and hook up a PS3 to it and let me know how it performs! Thx!
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=BROWSE&dimtype=brand&N=200011+402736&Ne=400000&product_code=344641&Pn=FLATRON_L246WP_BN_24_inch_1080p_LCD_Monitor

I believe if you go read Jim Robbins review of this monitor against other 24 inch LCDs that it isn't great for consoles but ok as a pc monitor as it doesn't display 1080p content correctly.

Alright guys, I finally got a chance to test out the new 24 inchers I got in stock. Keep in mind I'm sort of limited in what I can do here at best buy as far as testing, and I only have the ability to run analog. Pretty much what I did was just ran some DVDs on a gateway tower.

Tower specs:
C2D E4300
1024MB DDR2
Intel 950 graphics chip

The Monitors:

1. LG 246WP: Brilliant. Thats pretty much it. Even on analog this thing shines. The thing I liked the most about it was that it did not drown out the blacks like the Gateway does. I specifically noticed this in playing Batman Begins, which is a very dark movie, but I could still see all the detail in the shadows. I also ran Willy Wonka. which was definatly the best looking movie on the monitor. On the Gateway this movie looked good, but just made a big shadow if someone in the film turned the wrong way. The LG did not wash out the blacks, I could still make out every detail. There was no visible tearing or ghosting. It was bright enough, but not too bright. I can't wait to actually hook this thing up with HDMI.

2. Westinghouse L2410NM: Blah...would not even position the screen right at 1920x1200. I tried everything. The only way I could view the whole desktop was at lower resolutions. The video quality was ssubpar, much darker than the LG. I couldn't really test much because of the screen positioning problem. It does have HDMI, hopfully that performs better...

3. Acer X241WSD: The Acer looked good on the desktop, still noticably darker than the LG, even at high brightness. Video playback was nice, the colors aren't as rich as the LG's. It has the same problem the Gateway has with drowning out the blacks. This can be helped a little bit if you turn the contrast down to like 40 and the brightness almost maxed.

The overall and obvious winner is the LG. I think they did a great job with their new line of pannels. It would be nice if they put HDMI and DVI though.
I had your problem with the westing house when I was using the VGA.til i went in the menus and did the auto. it fixes that. but now I using a HDMI to DVI cable.

I believe if you go read Jim Robbins review of this monitor against other 24 inch LCDs that it isn't great for consoles but ok as a pc monitor as it doesn't display 1080p content correctly.
It doesn't support 1080p over component (the manual only lists up to 1080i), and it unfortunately won't do 1080 over VGA because (I think) it only supports "PC" resolutions over VGA (i.e. 4:3, 5:4 and 16:10 resolutions) -- this is why Jim had trouble with the 360. However, I don't believe there's any problem with 1080p over HDMI, so it should work OK with a PS3 provided you use this type of input.

Dan

Is he the only one with this problem? And those who have this monitor, please could you tell me if it's with a NVIDIA or ATI....

Is he the only one with this problem? And those who have this monitor, please could you tell me if it's with a NVIDIA or ATI....

FWIW, I saw in another thread (Benq 24"?) that the problem only seemed to exist over DVI, and sometimes only with the cheap supplied DVI cables. I've switched to the VGA cable and the problem has disappeared. So, the problem exists with my video card's drivers, DVI port, the DVI cable, or DVI on the monitor. I haven't gotten to try another DVI cable yet.

FWIW, I saw in another thread (Benq 24"?) that the problem only seemed to exist over DVI, and sometimes only with the cheap supplied DVI cables. I've switched to the VGA cable and the problem has disappeared. So, the problem exists with my video card's drivers, DVI port, the DVI cable, or DVI on the monitor. I haven't gotten to try another DVI cable yet.

I had the BenQ and this problem. Since this monitor as the same panel i fear it will have the same problem, except there's only one(that i know of) with this problem with LG. This problem only appears with DVI since the signal isn't the same then VGA, but this problem never happens over HDMI. it's related to the driver/sync. Most people with this problem have ATI card....

Another DVI cable wont solve your problem... sadly

Just thought I would put in my 2 cents worth. I have had the lg l246w sitting on my desk for several weeks now. It is connected to a BFG 7800GSOC video card using the DVI/HDMI cable that comes with the panel. I have only used it as a pc monitor. Knock on wood, I have had no issues with blackouts.
So far I am very happy with it.

Lon

I have had my LG now for a week. No problems and I play Call of Duty 2 for at least an hour per day.... yea, my college work gets a bit behind. That is okay because I seem to be able to research faster now with this 24 incher. Plus when I have to do web sites, it is nice to code on one side and have the test page on the other. I have watch Spiderman, Alien and Enterprise with this monitor and they look good. I also have a 7800GT runnning the DVI to HDMI connection to the monitor. I am very happy with this monitor.

I just picked one up from compusa. because shipping to hawaii is a nightmare, it was the most reasonable display out there.

i picked one up last night. so far the LG is not bad.. backlight good, angles good, colors good.. but... why is it when i set it to 1:1 scaling in the OSD and i pick the native resolution (1920x1200)... if i go back to, say 1600:1200.. it's stretched again....? does anyone else have this problem?

ahh~~ other then my samsung 215tw, though the panel is somewhat brighter on the left side, i have yet to find another monitor that does all i want. :mad: thinking of just rma'ing the samsung.. would such an issue be covered under warranty? and how long would this whole process take??

I just picked one up from compusa. because shipping to hawaii is a nightmare, it was the most reasonable display out there.

Hope you get a good one, CompUSA Hawaii doesn't accept open boxed monitors as returned, you can only exchange for another one.

Just thought I would put in my 2 cents worth. I have had the lg l246w sitting on my desk for several weeks now. It is connected to a BFG 7800GSOC video card using the DVI/HDMI cable that comes with the panel. I have only used it as a pc monitor. Knock on wood, I have had no issues with blackouts.
So far I am very happy with it.

Lon

I have had my LG now for a week. No problems and I play Call of Duty 2 for at least an hour per day.... yea, my college work gets a bit behind. That is okay because I seem to be able to research faster now with this 24 incher. Plus when I have to do web sites, it is nice to code on one side and have the test page on the other. I have watch Spiderman, Alien and Enterprise with this monitor and they look good. I also have a 7800GT runnning the DVI to HDMI connection to the monitor. I am very happy with this monitor.

Both of you own NVIDIA and this problem often happens with ATI... so it's still a plausible problem.... damn... and now that the 275T is out.... i'm looking foward to this monitor instead(275T)

no dead pixels, do you mean just a lemon in general?

I meant like return for a refund not an exchange. Since it's open you can't return the monitor. Found that out when my 24" Gateway monitor had it's wonderful inverse ghosting. I was only able to exchange for another 24" Gateway with inverse ghosting. It sucked big time.

The bad was that Gateway was the only 24" monitor being sold in Hawaii, until 1.5 weeks later when LG, BenQ and Westinghouse 24" monitors popped in Best Buy or CompUSA.

Well, that's my problem. Glad you got no pixels, enjoy the screen size!!! :)

Back