LG 48CX

Didn't realize but I looks like a couple of more posts to supreme I guess. I post more per post rather than some people's short shitposts I guess.

and the other wasn't? lol

hate to get dragged to that level yeah. shit flingers. Better with no shit at all.

Ok, I found the auto off timer which was under "timers". The 4 hour automatic shut off was already selected. But maybe it only functions for use as a TV and not desktop use?

EDIT: Also unplugged a bunch of USB's. My screen saver and power management works again. I will spend some time later checking for which device it was. If you guys run into your SS not working, definitely unplug stuff and find out what's keeping the computer live.

Whew, ok. Carry on!
Glad you figured it out. Yeah windows is really idiotic and disables suspend/sleep if it thinks you have a gaming peripheral like a game pad plugged in. It’s so stupid. I learned the hard way as well as I like to keep my gamepads plugged in.

The LG C1 seems like an iterative update compared to the CX... same with the C9.

Outside of the new EVO line, it seems like LG isn't improved OLED very much. This is ok, as for the moment, there's nothing else out there that can touch it.

The LG C1 seems like an iterative update compared to the CX... same with the C9.

Outside of the new EVO line, it seems like LG isn't improved OLED very much. This is ok, as for the moment, there's nothing else out there that can touch it.
Yup seems to be a similar situation as C9 vs CX. Not much appreciable difference so it comes down to getting the one that's available or cheaper. While the C1 will get firmware updates longer, it's not like there is much that needs to be improved on the CX. Or C9 for that matter, I'm happy with the performance of that although my C9 is a living room TV for media and console gaming.

I've seen some reviews that c1 is a bit brighter than cx (about 100 nits in peak small window and 15 full screen) but I can't find it now.
I've not used any other oled before but c1 is bright enough. At least when I use dynamic tone mapping

I measured it on my unit with a meter and it was like the reviews said. 25 is around 100, 30 around 120 etc. I did not measure higher values because I have no interest in those and use the TV in a dark room (in practice I use 20-25 for SDR).
Coo, thanks for confirming

on which one ? on cx, reviwes said 36 is 120nits

btw -anyone got tips how to use chrome? I already set windows to dark mode, autohide taskbar, 1minute blank screen saver and hide icons. But the bookmarks and top bar in chrome is still the last static element
Thanks, yeah, so I use mostly is OLED light at 9-10, so its pretty low, in my dark room.
I was worried as I use my CX48 for work at home for 10-12 hours a day, office work, but keeping it at OLED 10 for example shouldn't do anything to it, even if I keep excel spreadsheet for like an hour on the screen.

Thanks, yeah, so I use mostly is OLED light at 9-10, so its pretty low, in my dark room.
I was worried as I use my CX48 for work at home for 10-12 hours a day, office work, but keeping it at OLED 10 for example shouldn't do anything to it, even if I keep excel spreadsheet for like an hour on the screen.
Personally I've gotten used to 0 OLED light now. It's surprisingly comfortable. Doesn't work in a bright room though.

I've run it at somewhere between 20-30 for 9.5 months now, zero problems so far.

For anyone interested, Gigabyte is releasing a 48" OLED monitor likely based off of the CX panel: https://www.aorus.com/monitors/4k

1618255196280.png

For anyone interested, Gigabyte is releasing a 48" OLED monitor likely based off of the CX panel: https://www.aorus.com/monitors/4k

View attachment 347293

That's a pretty nicely done website too. Shame that there are no specs yet. I kinda want to see where they are going to go with the inputs on this thing, whether it's just going to be HDMI 2.1 ports or if it will have DP as well. Also interested in any possible Picture by Picture modes. Those are the kind of things that might make me want to swap from my CX 48".

If you look at the gallery of pics it shows a dp port. Any idea of release? I'm chopping at the bit here was going to pull the trigger on the cx

considering how much work LG has put into the firmware for us already... I'd be leery as hell of any other brand. LG has actually, for the most part, tried hard to solve every issue possible. Which a company SHOULD when you buy a $1500 panel.

Don't expect that level of service or attention to detail from Gigabyte or any other PC parts vendor. We got lucky that LG is so involved.

Sure, maybe it's just the LG CX rebranded... but let someone ELSE find out if the firmware is getting released identically to LG's and just as quickly.

There were rumors that LG was going to start selling OLED panels to Samsung. Could be they're selling to other vendors like Gigabyte as well. But who is actually responsible for the function of it?

considering how much work LG has put into the firmware for us already... I'd be leery as hell of any other brand. LG has actually, for the most part, tried hard to solve every issue possible. Which a company SHOULD when you buy a $1500 panel.

Don't expect that level of service or attention to detail from Gigabyte or any other PC parts vendor. We got lucky that LG is so involved.

Sure, maybe it's just the LG CX rebranded... but let someone ELSE find out if the firmware is getting released identically to LG's and just as quickly.

There were rumors that LG was going to start selling OLED panels to Samsung. Could be they're selling to other vendors like Gigabyte as well. But who is actually responsible for the function of it?
I hate to say it, but you may be right. Look at what Dell was able to mess up with the AW5520QF. And they sold it at a $2,000 premium over the LG TV.

LG has already been selling their OLED panels to Sony and Philips so selling it to Gigabyte is just another vendor. The 48" model seems to be made in enough quantities now that they can make it happen.

The pictures seem to show the smaller 32" model's inputs and I could not spot any pics of the inputs on Gigabyte's 48" OLED. It won't be just a LG CX repackaged as I would expect that they would strip out all the WebOS functionality. Ideally it would perform the same though as I would expect LG and Gigabyte might have some collaboration on how to drive the panel correctly.

I would be very open to OLEDs with a more monitor like set of inputs and features. That's what I am hoping the rumored 42" model would bring.

I hate to say it, but you may be right. Look at what Dell was able to mess up with the AW5520QF. And they sold it at a $2,000 premium over the LG TV.

If Gigabyte has the stones to charge anywhere near the CX/C1 price then it's pretty much DOA. I imagine the appeal of this monitor is to get OLED picture quality without all the smart TV features and pricing.

So for anyone else that balked at the $150 price tag on the SHARC eARC extractors, I did a bit of research on the cheaper options and have some bad news and some good news.

https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-eARC-Audio-Extractor-Setting/dp/B08863L9BC - This one does not work. It appears to only do ARC even when the eARC button is pushed. Don't waste your time/money.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002177075057.html - This one works great! I've only tested 7.1 LPCM right now, but it does that fine. My settings on the device are both dip switches on, I plugged in all the HDMI cables then powered it on. On the TV, HDMI ARC audio output, HDMI input audio format - bitstream (I know...), digital sound out - pass through, eARC - enabled. Well worth the $40. I have not yet tested CEC volume/power toggle passthru because that isn't part of my general use case, but I will and report back.

Verified encoded formats (DD/DD+/TrueHD/Atmos) and CEC volume/power control passthru, everything works.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If Gigabyte has the stones to charge anywhere near the CX/C1 price then it's pretty much DOA. I imagine the appeal of this monitor is to get OLED picture quality without all the smart TV features and pricing.
The appeal is to get automatic power on/off functionality since it's a "monitor". When has a monitor ever been cheaper than a similar spec TV? It's guaranteed to cost more, the question is just how much more.

LG Display and LG Electronics are seperate companies, which is why your see LG panels all over the place. Gigabyte could slay the market with a full bandwidth DP capable CX clone, as long as there are no firmware or other issues.

I may be interested in the Gigabyte 48" OLED version, especially if there's improvements such as DP input, possibly better specs/HDR, etc. but I highly doubt it. I also fear they may put a matte screen on it as well since it looks like it has the same screen shine as the other monitors (yeah I know, it's a computer generated image). We'll see...I'm in the market to downgrade my 55" C9 to a 48" C1. Starting to get some minor burn-in due to working from home for over a year now working on it, and the 55" is still technically too uncomfortable for my setup.

One thing a monitor is better at however is custom refresh rates - TVs typically being very picky at only running at very specific refresh rates and nothing else in-between, below, or above (though VRR certainly makes this much less of an issue than previously).

In particular, I'd be interested in seeing if the refresh rate could be cranked up higher than 120Hz since we already know that the CX is capable of refreshing the panel at 240Hz (which is how it achieves 120Hz + black frame insertion).

Of course, monitors also tend to have vastly inferior upscalers - 1440p tends to look considerably better on a 4k TV than on a 4k monitor, and the same goes for the likes of 768p on a 1080p TV vs 1080p monitor (though a lot of TVs also do a weirdly poor job with upscaling 480p to the point where monitors can actually be better, but getting good 480p scaling is more of a thing for retro game consoles than PCs since PCs have the option of using integer scaling and/or emulators).

Last edited:
The appeal is to get automatic power on/off functionality since it's a "monitor". When has a monitor ever been cheaper than a similar spec TV? It's guaranteed to cost more, the question is just how much more.
Hi, long time lurker here who registered to let you know that I recently published an application for powering on/off the screen together with your PC. Might help with making the TV more monitor-like if you are on a windows PC. https://github.com/JPersson77/LGTVCompanion

I'm not getting my hopes up at all but it's interesting nonetheless. I don't have any major complaints with the CX right now, just minor quirks. But some of them wouldn't exist if it was actually a monitor so yes... curious to know more about this Gigabyte thing.

One thing a monitor is better at however is custom refresh rates - TVs typically being very picky at only running at very specific refresh rates and nothing else in-between, below, or above (though VRR certainly makes this much less of an issue than previously).

In particular, I'd be interested in seeing if the refresh rate could be cranked up higher than 120Hz since we already know that the CX is capable of refreshing the panel at 240Hz (which is how it achieves 120Hz + black frame insertion).

Of course, monitors also tend to have vastly inferior upscalers - 1440p tends to look considerably better on a 4k TV than on a 4k monitor, and the same goes for the likes of 768p on a 1080p TV vs 1080p monitor (though a lot of TVs also do a weirdly poor job with upscaling 480p to the point where monitors can actually be better, but getting good 480p scaling is more of a thing for retro game consoles than PCs since PCs have the option of using integer scaling and/or emulators).
Refresh rate support is not a real issue on the LG CX though. 120 Hz seems to work just fine even with custom resolutions at least for me. HDMI 2.1 puts a bit of a spanner in the works since getting a powerful GPU with that is so difficult and expensive at the moment.

Does the panel actually need to be 240 Hz capable for 120 Hz BFI? The tech LG uses seems to be some sort of rolling scan looking thing so that might just work with 120 Hz as it is not inserting full black frames in there.

The things I would welcome on the Gigabyte version:
  • DP input for easier 4K 120 Hz support.
  • Picture by Picture modes so the multiple inputs can be utilized better.
  • Automatic wakeup/sleep as the computer sends signal.
  • Not getting that stupid "No signal" text on your screen.
  • Fast BFI toggle.
  • Not having to configure PC modes or the TV forgetting them if you disconnect a cable.
Otherwise it should perform like the LG.

But to be honest I don't expect Gigabyte to come through. I expect they will do the bare minimum to get these on the market and will price them too high.

Yeah I think anyone hoping for something better from Gigabyte is going to be sorely disappointed.

It's most likely going to be more expensive.
The only company to sell OLEDs cheaper than LG is VIZIO and they are barely cheaper with tons of issues. Every other company has sold them for more, and the only other monitor was sold for basically double the price.

It's probably going to be worse.
It took a lot for LG to get everything working perfectly. It has 4k 120hz VRR 4:4:4 with nearly non-existent input lag. None of the other brands selling this panel have come close to being as good for gaming.
The Dell monitor simply lowered brightness and removed HDR to combat burn-in and didn't have any anti-burn in technology like LG and the other TVs do. What do you think Gigabyte is going to do?
Do you really think Gigabyte is going to have Picture in Picture on a monitor? That's extreme wishful thinking.
If they're making it a monitor they're most likely stripping all the TV guts and not going to have any features beyond what their normal monitors have. And with that no burn in protection measures, near black compensation, etc.

I would love for it to be better and cheaper but it most likely will be worse and more expensive.

The only improvements that could be made over LG are small nit-picky things. Unless they put a badass heatsink on it with increased brightness which would make it much more expensive, or add simultaneous VRR BFI which I highly doubt they will.

The beauty of LG's C9, CX, and all models in-between, is their processor that goes along these displays. It allows them to make continual changes to the display firmware and fine tune it as time goes on. Monitors very rarely have this level of flexibility.

However, that lack of flexibility is also a bit of a blessing, too. LG's OLED TVs are full smart TVs with all of the software bugs and glitches that come along with having a computer built into your display. Monitors rarely have the swath of bugs that the LG C9 and CX have had throughout their life. I commend LG for continuing to improve and refine their displays to deliver what was promised.... full HDMI 2.1 capabilities with 4K120 RGB 10-bit (yea, it's not 12-bit, so what) and VRR. They made an incredible Smart TV that also happens to be one of the best PC monitors on the market as well. Those 2 items are usually mutually exclusive.

But lets be real.

If the CX had ONLY been a monitor, most of the issues we've experience would have probably been resolved before the display ever left the factory; it would have been a far more focused testing effort since half of the use case is no longer an issue. Of course, if the CX had only been a monitor, it would have cut the market for this display by around 80-90%, which would have made it a tough sell.

I guess we will see with Gigabyte.

DP input for easier 4K 120 Hz support

LG's own 27" 4k monitors are capable of 4k @ 160hz with DSC over DP. So it would be theoretically possible. In fact as a manufacturer to separate the reason for owning this over just the plain TV (with all its extra functionality) you could add this as a selling feature.

Making it a true 'PC Gamer' choice as consoles cannot manage greater than 120hz 4k.

Personally im much more interested in a Monitor like this than the Smart TV version.
With Instant ON/OFF, perhaps VESA mount, KVM with powered USB / USB-C 3.1, DP1.4 with DSC 4k@160hz & throw in some LED ring lighting etc.. I would use it over a regular TV also (so id buy two or three of these for my home / business ).

I loath 'Smart' anything in my digital home. It adds needless cost, complexity, accidental surveillance and eventual network security vulnerabilities as the unit outlives it's update window. Il add the services it uses on my own thank you very much, with trusted devices i attach. I don't need 3 gazillion leaky out of date apps installed inside my Display.

Last edited:
The beauty of LG's C9, CX, and all models in-between, is their processor that goes along these displays. It allows them to make continual changes to the display firmware and fine tune it as time goes on. Monitors very rarely have this level of flexibility.

However, that lack of flexibility is also a bit of a blessing, too. LG's OLED TVs are full smart TVs with all of the software bugs and glitches that come along with having a computer built into your display. Monitors rarely have the swath of bugs that the LG C9 and CX have had throughout their life. I commend LG for continuing to improve and refine their displays to deliver what was promised.... full HDMI 2.1 capabilities with 4K120 RGB 10-bit (yea, it's not 12-bit, so what) and VRR. They made an incredible Smart TV that also happens to be one of the best PC monitors on the market as well. Those 2 items are usually mutually exclusive.
There is no reason monitors could not also be iterative experiences but for some reason manufacturers just don't build upon what they have already made in the past or every high end model from ASUS, Acer etc could come with similar feature sets, just improved yearly. Display manufacturers, even large ones like Samsung clearly just don't put in any extra effort to make them great to use so at this point a smart TV is actually a better user experience in many ways.

I wish LG brought back the multiview functionality as a proper picture in picture system like they have in some of their larger desktop monitors so you could make even better use of the multiple inputs on these TVs. That's kind of what I am looking for in the rumored 42" model so I can hook up multiple computers at the same time and not have to switch inputs to see each of them.

Hi, long time lurker here who registered to let you know that I recently published an application for powering on/off the screen together with your PC. Might help with making the TV more monitor-like if you are on a windows PC. https://github.com/JPersson77/LGTVCompanion
Great work! The power off seems solid but powering on doesn't seem to be working for me (even when a pixel refresh isn't running).

Back