LG 48CX

yeah sounds like they phoned the HDR in instead of making it a shining example of PC HDR gaming.

Last edited:
There was a Cyberpunk patch today and I think HDR might be fixed....it's tough to tell with the Nvidia driver raising black globally with HDR on but I THINK it might look better...

It isn't just raised blacks. The colorspace is crushed to the point that similar colors are rendered as the same color and make harsh gradients. It makes the game look like a low bandwidth Netflix stream in dark areas.

I have not noticed that at all. I’ll keep a sharp eye out for it tonight, but if it’s like you describe I can’t imagine I wouldn’t have noticed it already.

i 100% am not seeing this in dark areas. I even tested with GSYNC on/off to see if that had an effect, but no difference. I see the black levels raise when switching to HDR but that’s the only change. I can’t get ‘inky’ blacks in this game regardless of settings. Perhaps it’s an ‘ignorance is bliss’ sort of thing :D

Hopefully this isn't old news in this thread but the latest Nvidia driver breaks HDR somehow. I saw the raised black thing that some of you mentioned, although it was nowhere near as bad as an IPS. My desktop background is black and I noticed I could see the border when I normally can't, and it disappeared again in SDR mode. Rolled back to last week's driver and it's fixed, and CP2077 runs fine framerate wise. Haven't actually played it yet to see if I notice a difference in dark areas but working HDR on the desktop is a decent first step.

i 100% am not seeing this in dark areas. I even tested with GSYNC on/off to see if that had an effect, but no difference. I see the black levels raise when switching to HDR but that’s the only change. I can’t get ‘inky’ blacks in this game regardless of settings. Perhaps it’s an ‘ignorance is bliss’ sort of thing :D
The place I could see it the best was in the VR tutorial....it's cycled out of my autosave at this point. I'll keep an eye out for it and try to get pictures (unless it actually is fixed in the 1.04 patch today).
Hopefully this isn't old news in this thread but the latest Nvidia driver breaks HDR somehow. I saw the raised black thing that some of you mentioned, although it was nowhere near as bad as an IPS. My desktop background is black and I noticed I could see the border when I normally can't, and it disappeared again in SDR mode. Rolled back to last week's driver and it's fixed, and CP2077 runs fine framerate wise. Haven't actually played it yet to see if I notice a difference in dark areas but working HDR on the desktop is a decent first step.
Yeah I pointed this out the other day after noticing I could see the difference between screen and bezel on my black background desktop when HDR was on.

Since updating to the latest driver every time I turn my TV on the display flickers (more like random flashes of other parts of the screen). Unplugging and replugging the cable solves the issue, but then I have to rename the input. I am using a Zeskit 8K cable that has served me well up until the new drivers.

I didn't realize putting the input into PC mode made such a difference. I was going to dismiss the CX48 and return it until I looked around for some settings. Anyone have settings or setup suggestions that I might not know about?

I bought the Zeskit hdmi cable but I haven't had any issues with the one that came in the box with the CX48 on my 3080.

Also how many of you guys bought an extended warranty that covers burn in?

So after some combination of disabling/reenabling Gsync, turning some displays on/off, installing Windows updates, and rebooting....My blacks are back to black with HDR on. No idea...

...but then after locking the computer, turning the TV off/on again, unlocking the computer...back to raised blacks.

Last edited:
For the record I have had this happen a few times in previous drivers as well, even in SDR content. The fix seems to be to go to 4K 60 Hz and back. There are still some bugs with the LG C9/CX because even my PS5 will sometimes output a washed out picture requiring me to turn HDR off and back on to fix. It might be a PS5 problem too of course but it certainly happens.

A little while back I bought a X-Rite i1 calibration tool for a previous monitor. Can this also be used for the LG CX48? Wasn’t sure after all the initial non calibration tool tweaks if it was still worth it.

A little while back I bought a X-Rite i1 calibration tool for a previous monitor. Can this also be used for the LG CX48? Wasn’t sure after all the initial non calibration tool tweaks if it was still worth it.
Yes you can. Displaycal even has a calibration profile for LG OLEDs you can use. Calman can be used (but it's really expensive) to store a hardware calibration. Personally I'd just use displaycal to adjust RGB and be done with it. I also have an i1display pro but I've been too lazy to do it yet. Screen looks great already with some minor tweaks.

Bought a MSI 3080 Trio last night to upgrade my 2080ti, and I did not have a adapter for the 3rd 8 pin.

Now i wait for amazon to deliver it tomorrow, gah the wait!

Yes you can. Displaycal even has a calibration profile for LG OLEDs you can use. Calman can be used (but it's really expensive) to store a hardware calibration. Personally I'd just use displaycal to adjust RGB and be done with it. I also have an i1display pro but I've been too lazy to do it yet. Screen looks great already with some minor tweaks.
Great, good to know! I may break it out just to see. And totally agree, screen is perfect with minor adjustments to OLED light, ck trady, brightness etc.

Has anyone gotten an RX 6000 series GPU for the LG CX? Curious if VRR and HDMI 2.1 features work well on it.

How well would an Alienware M15 laptop w/ a geforce rtx 2070 run this monitor? I know that card doesn't have HDMI 2.1 so I know 120hz refresh rate isn't possible, but I've been gaming at 60hz and don't mind doing so until I build a new system with a more current card. Mainly will be watching movies, gaming, and editing photos.

Thanks.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz (12 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 32768MB RAM

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Max-Q Design
Display Memory: 24310 MB
Dedicated Memory: 8031 MB
Shared Memory: 16279 MB

Last edited:
When using it as a PC monitor, anyone have experience with either a wall mount or desk mount solution? For the wall mounting, I'd prefer an articulating arm that can still fold just about flat as opposed to one of those less adjustable versions that seem to be aimed at TV use.

So I played COD BOCW on the RX6800XT with the CX48. Seems fine. What data would you guys want me to use?

So I played COD BOCW on the RX6800XT with the CX48. Seems fine. What data would you guys want me to use?
Key ones would be that it works at 4K 120 Hz 10-bit color with HDR and that VRR works either using the Freesync option in the TV menu or without it. If you can, try running a game at settings (e.g high raytracing or render res) that put it around the framerate of the lower range of VRR, 40 fps and see if you can see any flicker if it transitions from under 40 to above 40 and back.

You can also use the diagnostics behind hitting the green button on the remote many times until a screen pops up in a corner to see what it sees as output and whether VRR works or not.

Deal Via Slickdeals, only 3' left.

Zeskit via Amazon has Zeskit 8K Ultra HD High Speed 48Gpbs HDMI Cable on sale when you follow directions below. Shipping is free with Prime or on orders $25+.

Thanks community member weeed for finding this deal

Deal Instructions:
  1. Choose the Length Cable you would like to buy
  2. Add to cart
  3. Apply promo code 60NoLabel8K during final checkout
  4. Final price will be as follows (after discount)
    • 3' Zeskit 8K Ultra HD High Speed 48Gpbs HDMI Cable $6.80

Would this stand be a good option for this TV?
https://www.displays2go.com/P-16610...DrT2-xf2RRZ56L8xp8YV78LFQVMV5L5hoCxyIQAvD_BwE

I work/game/watch movies at a height adjustable desk while walking on a treadmill (which I highly recommend for those of you working from home), so having a height adjustable stand is a must, as is having one that will rotate the screen because when photo editing I sometimes have the primary monitor in portrait orientation.

Also bumping my earlier question re: if an Alienware M15 laptop with a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 card will adequately power non-cutting edge games (Stalker Call of Prpyat, Elite Dangerous, Subnautica are a few I'm playing/planning to play) at 4K 60hz - I am happy with a framerate at 30fps or above. (Once the latest cards become available, I will likely build a small form factor gaming PC w/ an HDMI 2.1 card to drive 4K 120hz content).

Thanks!

Last edited:
So how do i know a game has HDR on?

On my living room tv it says HDR when a console game switches into it.

I have my 3080 hooked up now to my LG CX 48, put i don't see HDR pop up as I load a game.

Thanks

I own both too and the CRG9 is now my gf's monitor while I use the CX. The way I use it is to put secondary windows up top - things I don't look at all the time like say email or time tracking apps etc. The apps.I use constantly live in the lower portion of the display which makes it more comfortable.

Your situation is a bit tough because to get enough viewing distance you do want to wall mount. For a sit/stand desk setup you would want a floor stand that is motorized so the display can be raised as you raise your desk. Those are pretty expensive. I just use a floor stand with mine and it is much better than the previous monitor arm setup I had. Less wobble, more distance.

I really liked the CRG9 a lot for work but as a gaming display it was a bit too wide. I liked running many games better at 3840x1440 custom resolution. 3840x1600 is great on the OLED.
Ya I also have mail spotify etc at the top, but I dont want that stuff wearing on the panel so if I am not actively using it I just minimize it. And so I end up not using the top 20-30% of the panel a lot of the time because I will neck pain. So solution is to lower it or get further away from it (or it getting further away from me).

I'm not gonna buy a variable floor stand. That does not make economical sense. But thanks for the suggestion.

I edit photo/videos so I dont find the C49RG90 very good for that. No Adobe Profile and the sRGB is not really good in my opinion. And after seening colors, blacks and generally images on my OLED I cannot go back to that monitor for work. For any non-image work its great tho. I too find it too wide for gaming.

Ideally I would get one of those LG 38" 3840x1600 Ultra wide curved panels. But again. after seeing OLED its hard to go back. The clouding, the inconsistent backlight etc is hard to go back to. I just wish LG makes a 40" 21:9 curved OLED 3840x1600 next year for computer usage. That would be ideal!

But ya. Still no great solution for mounting it on the desk. I think my only bet is the ergotron HX eventhou it wont get my that much more distance. Does anybody know if it can be rotated so that the lower arm is haning out back and the upper arm is over the desk. And would it be able to the the 48" CX weight wise? Because wouldnt that make it so that it is further away from the person. It would requires some room behind the desk, but I am okay with that.

I have my 3080 hooked up now to my LG CX 48, put i don't see HDR pop up as I load a game.

Thanks
You should see the HDR logo pop up in the top right when you switch to an HDR application. Also you can click the scroll wheel on the remote, point to the input (“PC HDMI 1” on mine) on the bottom left, click it, and a pop up will come up showing your resolution and it’ll say HDR if you’re in HDR.

Last edited:

Thanks
Most games require you to turn on HDR in the Windows display settings, and then the TV will always be receiving an HDR signal. It's up to your eyes to tell the difference toggling HDR on/off inside games after that.

Most games require you to turn on HDR in the Windows display settings, and then the TV will always be receiving an HDR signal. It's up to your eyes to tell the difference toggling HDR on/off inside games after that.
Ya that is what i was looking for did not realize you had to turn it on in Windows.

Thanks

Key ones would be that it works at 4K 120 Hz 10-bit color with HDR and that VRR works either using the Freesync option in the TV menu or without it. If you can, try running a game at settings (e.g high raytracing or render res) that put it around the framerate of the lower range of VRR, 40 fps and see if you can see any flicker if it transitions from under 40 to above 40 and back.

You can also use the diagnostics behind hitting the green button on the remote many times until a screen pops up in a corner to see what it sees as output and whether VRR works or not.
Can confirm vrr works for me. I forgot to take a picture last night though.

This is what I think was the best articulating floor stand I found when looking but it's pricey:

NSlbHdh.gif'

https://www.displays2go.com/P-16610/Black-Cheap-LCD-TV-Stands-Economy-Design-32-47-Monitors

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00681HGB6/

I'd probably get this one below if I was going to switch from it from being on the included stand (on another desk). That is, unless I absolutely required a lot of articulation like tilt and spin. Otherwise you could just roll it on the wheels outside of those requirements.

https://www.amazon.com/Kanto-MTM65PL-Mobile-Stand-Screens/dp/B00RPP3262

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/kanto-...el-tvs-up-to-65-black/5022900.p?skuId=5022900

oG5cATR.jpg

There is also what looks like a good floor foot stand model at monoprice that someone linked earlier.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I haven't seen a single ounce of burn-in using my CX 48 normally 8h a day. I run what I can in dark mode but occasionally may have something like a bright Excel open and bright websites are pretty normal. It's been fine. Ask me again in 2-3 years.

I'm up to 1793 hours power on time on mine for work and play. 0 burn-in.

My CX55 is currently at 3363 hours, and no burn-in so far.

Of note:

I keep my display at around 0-50 OLED light (except for HDR movies, which I watch at 100).
Lots of static content from work laptop (no screensaver)
For my desktop, I have a 5 minute screensaver (Mystify) with 1 hour off-time.
I vary my content between mostly youtube videos, youtube tv, games, and online forums.
I turn off the display if I'm walking away for a long time.
I run the screen refresher every couple of weeks as long as I can remember.

I have a 2 year Best Buy warranty, so if any permanent burn-in (burn-out) shows up, the panel will be repaired ASAP.

Guys, thank you for your replies.

I ordered it :)
Should have it in around 2 weeks.
Preparing myself mentally for it to arrive, plus installing all games I want to play once on :)

Remember if you are running Nvidia 460.89 or 460.79 HDR is broken. When it activates black levels are massively elevated and black becomes grey.

If you use the a proper setting of say RGB / Full in the Nvidia CP and set the TV to Black Level High as it should be... you will see washed out greys for black and this will lead you to think your TV setting is incorrect and set it to Black Level Low instead. This will "look" proper on a black desktop... but you're actually massively crushing the blacks in HDR because it was never the correct setting in the first place.

I'm mentioning this because there is already a HUGE amount of confusion on setting these options to begin with and the broken drivers make it FAR MORE CONFUSING than it should be.

Earlier drivers are working correctly. So before you wonder why your CX settings aren't working the way people say they should, make sure you aren't using either of these drivers. I'm currently using 457.51 and HDR works. (as well as fixing several other issues such as power on flickering and corruption)

Remember if you are running Nvidia 460.89 or 460.79 HDR is broken. When it activates black levels are massively elevated and black becomes grey.

If you use the a proper setting of say RGB / Full in the Nvidia CP and set the TV to Black Level High as it should be... you will see washed out greys for black and this will lead you to think your TV setting is incorrect and set it to Black Level Low instead. This will "look" proper on a black desktop... but you're actually massively crushing the blacks in HDR because it was never the correct setting in the first place.

I'm mentioning this because there is already a HUGE amount of confusion on setting these options to begin with and the broken drivers make it FAR MORE CONFUSING than it should be.

Earlier drivers are working correctly. So before you wonder why your CX settings aren't working the way people say they should, make sure you aren't using either of these drivers. I'm currently using 457.51 and HDR works. (as well as fixing several other issues such as power on flickering and corruption)

I've found that the HDR raised black seems to happen randomly, and disabling/enabling Gsync fixes it....till it happens again. It's listed as an issue in the release notes of the drivers that came out today at least, so even if Nvidia hasn't fixed it yet they're at least acknowledging it.

As to black level high/low....the TV knows what to do and does it right with the black level set to auto, people should just leave it there.

Last edited:
Yeah I've gone back to 457.51. There's 0 difference in performance between it and the latest when playing CP2077 but at least HDR worked correctly.

Anyone using a 1080Ti?

Do you play at 4k? or 1440p? How is performance?

Looking to build a new PC within the next 6 months once I can snag a 3090 or maybe a 3080Ti (if annoucned) but for now I'm stuck with a 1080Ti.

Anyone using a 1080Ti?

Do you play at 4k? or 1440p? How is performance?

Looking to build a new PC within the next 6 months once I can snag a 3090 or maybe a 3080Ti (if annoucned) but for now I'm stuck with a 1080Ti.
I am. At 4K. Performance is brutal out of the box. Think I started out with something like 10 FPS. Turned off Film Grain and Chromatic Aberration immediately and got to around 20 FPS. I'm reading some tweak guides on other settings that affect performance and can get to just shy of 30 FPS by lowering a bunch of them from Ultra or High to Medium. I'll continue to read up and maybe find some guides or videos from other people using a 1080Ti but I might have to shelf this game for now. I'm not going to play it at 26 FPS along with severely compromised visuals. I want to experience the game as it was intended and trying to run a visually stunning game like this at 4K on a two-gen old card isn't going to be that, I'm fairly sure of it.

Reactions: Sky15
like this
Back