• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

LG 48CX

Okay.. so I'm about to pull the plug for a 55" LG CX for 1200 EUR.

Can someone please talk me out of it? (Coming from a 43" Philips HDR1000 VA Monitor)
 

Attachments

  • tenor.gif
    tenor.gif
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Before I pull the trigger - 2 last things:

1) can I use the monitor without the stand AND without a wall mount? Will the panel be strong enough to not break if I place it directly on the desk and lean the backside against the wall? I use my current monitor like this but it has a panel depth of about 1.5cm.. I seriously need the extra depth as 48" would be borderline and 55" will be over the top for sure.. (60cm deep desk, leaning back on my office chair with feet on the table for about 1.2m depth currently). But it's also my main driver for doing productive work so I end up at about 70-80cm when coding..

2) could anyone try CRU and check if the G-Sync/FreeSync range can be expanded into the 30-40ish range? My 43" Momentum goes down to 35Hz G-Sync compatible without issues and it will be weeks if not months before I can get my hand in a 3080 or RDNA2..
 
Before I pull the trigger - 2 last things:

1) can I use the monitor without the stand AND without a wall mount? Will the panel be strong enough to not break if I place it directly on the desk and lean the backside against the wall? I use my current monitor like this but it has a panel depth of about 1.5cm.. I seriously need the extra depth as 48" would be borderline and 55" will be over the top for sure.. (60cm deep desk, leaning back on my office chair with feet on the table for about 1.2m depth currently). But it's also my main driver for doing productive work so I end up at about 70-80cm when coding..

2) could anyone try CRU and check if the G-Sync/FreeSync range can be expanded into the 30-40ish range? My 43" Momentum goes down to 35Hz G-Sync compatible without issues and it will be weeks if not months before I can get my hand in a 3080 or RDNA2..

Please don't do #1. It's gonna fall sooner or later for sure, and the upper half of the panel is literally ~3mm thick. People have posted floor stands that are relatively inexpensive and will get the job you want done safely.
 
Last edited:
Okay.. so I'm about to pull the plug for a 55" LG CX for 1200 EUR.

Can someone please talk me out of it? (Coming from a 43" Philips HDR1000 VA Monitor)

It won't look as sharp as the 48" LG CX model as that has a pixel density of 91.79 PPI vs 80.11 PPI on the 55" LG CX which is similar to a 27" 1080p monitor.
 
It won't look as sharp as the 48" LG CX model as that has a pixel density of 91.79 PPI vs 80.11 PPI on the 55" LG CX which is similar to a 27" 1080p monitor.
but you'll also look at it from further away...
 
Please don't do #1. It's gonna fall sooner or later for sure, and the upper half of the panel is literally ~3mm thick. People have posted floor stands that are relatively inexpensive and will get the job you want done safely.

Feared as much. I'd anchor it on the wall securely so it doesn't fall over, but I'd still need to place it on the desk.. I'm not too worried about the bottom edge as I'd wrap it with a door seal - I'm more afraid of potential tensions on the panel..

but you'll also look at it from further away...

Yeah, not necessarily lol.

That being said: 80ppi at 60-80cm doesn't scare me too much.. I've been a hardcore simracer for the past 2 decades and had been racing on triple 40" 1080p at 70cm distance before VR gained any traction.. My everyday TV setup also is a Sony HW65 1080p projector on a 2.8m screen at 3m seating distance..

I would have preferred the 48" screen, but they're scary expensive in my region compared to the 55" (1600+ EUR for the 48" and ~1200 EUR for the 55") and the former is about as available as the RTX30 unicorn cards..

The CX48 would be a perfect fit for desktop gaming (the 43" I have now is just a tad too small for my liking) - but as I said: expensive and barely available..
 
Before I pull the trigger - 2 last things:

1) can I use the monitor without the stand AND without a wall mount? Will the panel be strong enough to not break if I place it directly on the desk and lean the backside against the wall? I use my current monitor like this but it has a panel depth of about 1.5cm.. I seriously need the extra depth as 48" would be borderline and 55" will be over the top for sure.. (60cm deep desk, leaning back on my office chair with feet on the table for about 1.2m depth currently). But it's also my main driver for doing productive work so I end up at about 70-80cm when coding..

Absolutely not. It won't be in any way stable even though the weight is mostly in the bottom portion of the screen. I would also not put it on a 60cm deep desk because even a 80cm one is just barely good enough for my CX 48. If you want to buy this, buy a floor stand that can mount a TV. The stock stand is not going to be good for things like putting it slightly past the edge of the table.
 
Absolutely not. It won't be in any way stable even though the weight is mostly in the bottom portion of the screen. I would also not put it on a 60cm deep desk because even a 80cm one is just barely good enough for my CX 48. If you want to buy this, buy a floor stand that can mount a TV. The stock stand is not going to be good for things like putting it slightly past the edge of the table.

Thank you, that insight is very much appreciated!

Regarding depth: I was sceptical when I got my current 43" monitor because of the 60cm desk, but I got used to it pretty fast and it's actually comfortable - even for productive work. The only problem was the height of the monitor at first but after removing the stand and putting it point blank on the desk that problem went away.

I also mostly use it in a lean-back relax position on my rocker chair and that distance is enough (~120cm) that I can't differentiate between 1440p upscaled and 2160p native.

I'm guessing the 55" will be borderline usable in my scenario but I can't justify spending 400+ EUR more on the 48"..
 
Thank you, that insight is very much appreciated!

Regarding depth: I was sceptical when I got my current 43" monitor because of the 60cm desk, but I got used to it pretty fast and it's actually comfortable - even for productive work. The only problem was the height of the monitor at first but after removing the stand and putting it point blank on the desk that problem went away.

I also mostly use it in a lean-back relax position on my rocker chair and that distance is enough (~120cm) that I can't differentiate between 1440p upscaled and 2160p native.

I'm guessing the 55" will be borderline usable in my scenario but I can't justify spending 400+ EUR more on the 48"..

With the 55" you would want even more space between you and the table. 55" is massively larger than 43". Again a floor stand with or without wheels or a wall mount will be the best way to mount this so maybe spend some of the money saved on that.

PS. If somebody is already using a floor stand for something similar, do you have any recommendations? I kinda want to get one too so I can push mine a bit further than my monitor arm allows.
 
The super thin bezel actually extends below the bottom of the rear chassis. Without the base or a wall mount, the bezel itself will bear the load. NOT a good idea.
 
With the 55" you would want even more space between you and the table. 55" is massively larger than 43". Again a floor stand with or without wheels or a wall mount will be the best way to mount this so maybe spend some of the money saved on that.

PS. If somebody is already using a floor stand for something similar, do you have any recommendations? I kinda want to get one too so I can push mine a bit further than my monitor arm allows.

I and some other people in this thread are using a Fitueyes stand. It's decent and rather well built and can be found in both Europe and America at least. There might be better options though, especially because this one has rather limited height adjustment. Basically the lowest setting is a bit high still and you'll probably want to use only the 2 lowest screws (even though it's supposed to be 4 holes) for desktop use.
 
The super thin bezel actually extends below the bottom of the rear chassis. Without the base or a wall mount, the bezel itself will bear the load. NOT a good idea.

Yeah, I just visited a store to see that in person.. That super-thin bezel trend is freaking annoying to say the least. What was wrong with a 1cm panel depth.. it's always been the borders that annoyed people, not the depth.. especially if you have a 5cm deep box mounted on the backside... Those super thin panels are more fragile than it's worth imho..

PS: the recommended seating distance for 4k 16:9 material for maximum immersion and detail actually is height × 0.75. Would be 45cm for the 48" and 51cm for the 55" and I don't disagree with that tbh. I already use a 1:1 ratio on our projector setup and it's working just fine *for me*. Yeah, I'm a freak in that regard but the longer I think about it, the more sense the 55" makes for me.

PPS: yeah, those values above aren't going to be comfortable with a light-emitting screen. But with a relaxed seating position I'm at more than double those values..
 
45cm for 48" what? That'd have you craning your neck constantly and the pixels would be huge and everything would look pretty gross.

https://stari.co/tv-monitor-viewing-distance-calculator

The ideal for most people is about 1m for this TV. You can go down to 76cm if you have less than stellar vision (I do, but less than 1m is very uncomfortable for me when gaming).
 
Last edited:
Really depends on who you ask:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship

Rtings has 55" 4k at 0.98m optimal distance at 4k (which agrees with your standpoint). I'd second that for *comfortable* viewing and a cinematic experience.

To be clear: I wouldn't want (like ever) do productive work on a 55" at that close of a distance like I mentioned above. But I do believe that it's the distance where you'd get the most immersion out of. Is it practiable: hell no. Is it doable: yeah, maybe - for some special nutjobs like me.
 
This is what I've found from using various sizes of monitors over the years...
...
A7gEgdY.png


With my 43" 4k screens now at around 4' away (in preparation for a 48" CX later) - I've had to increase the scaling beyond 1:1 to 125% ..


I thought this might be of interest... though it is specifically for movie watching not for pc use (especially a multi-monitor array).

The viewing angle ‘sweet spot’ seems to be around 45-50 degrees

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/2013314viewing-angles/
New cinemas built to THX specifications have a minimum viewing angle of 36 degrees from the last row of seats.

The viewing angle ‘sweet spot’ seems to be around 45-50 degrees
where SMPTE, THX and 20th Century Fox recommendations converge. This matches quite closely with CEDIA’s 43 degree viewing angle recommendation for 2.4:1 ‘Cinemascope’ content as per CEB-23. For reference 43 degrees is 3x picture height using a 2.35:1 screen.

Depending on where you like to sit in a commercial theater you might have a viewing angle of anywhere from 36 to 60 degrees. Personal preference is therefore an important factor and should be a prime consideration when laying out your home theater.

384148_382904_Erick2520Garci2520diagram.gif
 
Last edited:
Is it me or is BFI mode Borked with this driver update?

I had a 3080 and just traded up to a 3090.....and cannot enable BFI mode to save my life.

I had ZERO issues setting BFI mode on my 2080ti.

Also, just like my 3080.....I am having issues getting gameplay smooth with the 3090.
It feels like a minor microstutter is there when I try to play BFV, Starwars Squadrons, Pub-Oh-Geez....

Grrrrrr......

I am running a brand new EVGA 1000PSU with this
 
Is it me or is BFI mode Borked with this driver update?

I had a 3080 and just traded up to a 3090.....and cannot enable BFI mode to save my life.

I had ZERO issues setting BFI mode on my 2080ti.

Also, just like my 3080.....I am having issues getting gameplay smooth with the 3090.
It feels like a minor microstutter is there when I try to play BFV, Starwars Squadrons, Pub-Oh-Geez....

Grrrrrr......

I am running a brand new EVGA 1000PSU with this

Do you have G-Sync disabled in NVCP? You could disable instant game response on the TV too.
 
Do you have G-Sync disabled in NVCP? You could disable instant game response on the TV too.

Yes, IGR disabled and gsync disabled.

I can only get BFI working 4k60 RGB or 4k120 420 limited

I cannot get BFI working 4k120 Full 8bit or 10bit RGB

Anybody else has this issue?

Also, games just lack smoothness...they were much smoother on my 1080ti
and the only thing I changed in my system was going from 650 corsair psu to 1000evga psu
and the 3080 & 3090 now.
 
Also, games just lack smoothness...they were much smoother on my 1080ti
and the only thing I changed in my system was going from 650 corsair psu to 1000evga psu
and the 3080 & 3090 now.

Your games lack smoothness using G-Sync? This is concerning. I (supposedly) have a 3090 coming in next week myself.
 
Man, this is one long ass thread. All you guys have me super tempted to get the 48" CX. I have decent desk space that is 32" deep so I figure that should be fine. Should have room width wise for it now that I have replaced my monitor speakers with the creative Katana (54" from the edge to where my computer sits). I have placed an order in for a Acer Predator CG437K for $999 (backordered a couple weeks), my plan was to get it and a HP Reverb G2 VR headset for the same $$ as the CX. Figured I'd sacrifice some PQ with the Acer so I could have both, but part of me still wants to get the CX. I have not noticed ghosting on my high refresh VA monitors, so I do not think that will be a issue. That said, should I cancel the Acer/HP orders and just get the CX and maybe just get the VR headset next year? The last of my gaming upgrade budget is tied up in getting a new AMD/Nvidia card to power the 4k goodness once I see what AMD has to offer here is a few more weeks.
 
Games on my 2080ti run as smoothly as smoothly can be. The 3000 series just cant stop sucking.
 
Man, this is one long ass thread. All you guys have me super tempted to get the 48" CX. I have decent desk space that is 32" deep so I figure that should be fine. Should have room width wise for it now that I have replaced my monitor speakers with the creative Katana (54" from the edge to where my computer sits). I have placed an order in for a Acer Predator CG437K for $999 (backordered a couple weeks), my plan was to get it and a HP Reverb G2 VR headset for the same $$ as the CX. Figured I'd sacrifice some PQ with the Acer so I could have both, but part of me still wants to get the CX. I have not noticed ghosting on my high refresh VA monitors, so I do not think that will be a issue. That said, should I cancel the Acer/HP orders and just get the CX and maybe just get the VR headset next year? The last of my gaming upgrade budget is tied up in getting a new AMD/Nvidia card to power the 4k goodness once I see what AMD has to offer here is a few more weeks.

However great the CX is - it can't replace VR experience.

I would however cancel the Acer order (whatever monitor that might be) and get the cheapest display you can grab (really, anything, get some used one for 40 bucks or sth) and save up for the CX on a later date
 
That's weird. Even with future frame rendering + dx11?

Some other people mentioned stuttering with >96fps on the CX but I can't test myself since the gods of nvidia did not grace me with an Ampere GPU.
 
My experience has been smooth as silk (3090 w/ waterblock + 48CX) since the firmware update.

Been playing Metro and Borderlands 3. No stuttering issues at all.

After a reboot, I do sometimes lose display until I toggle instant game response. Not hugely annoying, but still an issue.
 
My experience has been smooth as silk (3090 w/ waterblock + 48CX) since the firmware update.

Been playing Metro and Borderlands 3. No stuttering issues at all.

After a reboot, I do sometimes lose display until I toggle instant game response. Not hugely annoying, but still an issue.

Hmmm looks like DX12 is the culprit in BFV.....and Squadrons is just another half backed launch
 
Can anyone confirm what cables (including lengths) support this screen at 4K 120Hz from a RTX 3080?

The only one that I've been able to find on this thread so far sounds like:
  1. Club3D CAC-1372 (less than 10ft)

Any others?
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Is there a difference between the models OLED48CXAUB at Costco and the OLED48CXPUB at Amazon? As far as I can tell the specs are the same, but was not sure if something was removed for the AUB model. Costco is giving 3 additional years warranty (squaretrade) for free on top of the normal 2 for the same price of $1450.
 
Is there a difference between the models OLED48CXAUB at Costco and the OLED48CXPUB at Amazon? As far as I can tell the specs are the same, but was not sure if something was removed for the AUB model. Costco is giving 3 additional years warranty (squaretrade) for free on top of the normal 2 for the same price of $1450.
They're identical. Certain big sellers get different model numbers from LG.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Have you guys seen the 48 sony? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...4k_a9s.html/SID/wtbs_5f791b8af28c82563bb80b71

maybe it wont have the problems some of you are facing.

I don't know about the A9S, but Rtings reviewed the A9G and two things that I see initially are higher input lag and not G-Sync compatible. Maybe someone here will pick one up and compare for us. :) Plus, I've not owned a Sony TV in forever...not sure how they are in terms of resolving issues via firmware updates. We know that LG is pretty darn good there, historically.
 
My experience has been smooth as silk (3090 w/ waterblock + 48CX) since the firmware update.

Been playing Metro and Borderlands 3. No stuttering issues at all.

After a reboot, I do sometimes lose display until I toggle instant game response. Not hugely annoying, but still an issue.

I don't know man...I just tested BFV with gsync OFF, FPS capped @ 119 and Vsync on and it is A MILLION times smoother than
gsync ON. Same thing with COD MW 2019.

Do you have the travesty known as BFV and or COD 2019 to test?

Also can you test if BFI 4k120 FULL 8-bit or 10-bit RGB works....cause that doesn't work on mine.
Only 4k120 limited 420 works with BFI.

If you are seeing similar results as me, then LG & Nvidia need to fix this shit!
 
Back
Top