LG 48CX

Wait. What? kasakka didn't you say in this thread that 3840x1600 @ 120hz works with the club3d adapter? This doesn't make sense. Why wouldn't 120hz work at this rez on an actual 3080 but work on the adapter with a 2080 ti?

I have absolutely no idea. All I did was just open the custom resolution box in NVCP running latest drivers, type in 3840x1600 120 Hz in its boxes and add it. No timing changes or anything. NVCP is also set to use display scaling, setting it to use GPU scaling might help as it would then create 3840x1600 on the GPU and output it scaled to 3840x2160 with black bars. Same end result pretty much.

Reactions: elvn
like this
I've tried to update the PAL version. No success. The new version is 03.11.25 - which isn't available on the UK website yet. An older one is thought (03.11.05), one that isn't pushed yet through OTA (latest OTA for me was 03.10.4). I used that to test if the procedure is correct and it worked through an USB drive on the side of the television.

I've also tried to just rename the Korean Firmware to the filename of the older UK version that did work - but it doesn't trigger the 'Do you want to update' dialog on the screen unfortunately. So we have to wait for a PAL compile.

I've got a response on this from LG. They're working on the firmware for PAL.

I have absolutely no idea. All I did was just open the custom resolution box in NVCP running latest drivers, type in 3840x1600 120 Hz in its boxes and add it. No timing changes or anything. NVCP is also set to use display scaling, setting it to use GPU scaling might help as it would then create 3840x1600 on the GPU and output it scaled to 3840x2160 with black bars. Same end result pretty much.

Right I've tried all settings I can think of trying to create any custom resolution above 60hz and it just blanks out. I've tried different scaling settings in the NVIDIA control panel including having the GPU scale and the display. It definitely isn't a bandwidth issue as it should have clearly been able to handle that before the firmware update. Personal opinion is that it is a strange HDMI 2.1 to HDMI 2.1 issue between the video card and the display. If custom resolutions work with the Club 3D adapter, it's got to be DP 1.4 related.

Either way, awesome display but I am know I am in the minority where the custom resolution is a deal breaker for me if I can't get it working correctly... Shouldn't be this hard. The only other thing I can think of is when you create a custom resolution in NVCP, I think it is trying to set it in the TV mode where all the 60+hz refresh rates are under the PC list of resolutions. Not sure if there is any other way to do this.

EDIT: Ok, been trying a ton of different custom resolutions and refresh rate. I've found that regardless of ANY resolution I try, it's the custom refresh rates that make it not function correctly. Definitely not a bandwidth issue or even a resolution/aspect ratio. Here are the list of settings I have tried, all result in a black screen

• 2560 x 1440 @ 75hz
  • 2560 x 1440 @100hz
  • 3840 x 1600 @ 75hz
  • 3840 x 1600 @ 100hz
  • 3840 x 1600 @ 120hz
  • 3840 x 2160 @ 75hz
Yet if I choose any of the precreated resolutions/settings, they are work with the scaling settings in the NVIDIA control panel such as 2560x1440 @ 100 and 120hz, 2560x1600 @ 60hz etc etc.

1601471859405.png

Last edited:
Right I've tried all settings I can think of trying to create any custom resolution above 60hz and it just blanks out. I've tried different scaling settings in the NVIDIA control panel including having the GPU scale and the display. It definitely isn't a bandwidth issue as it should have clearly been able to handle that before the firmware update. Personal opinion is that it is a strange HDMI 2.1 to HDMI 2.1 issue between the video card and the display. If custom resolutions work with the Club 3D adapter, it's got to be DP 1.4 related.

Either way, awesome display but I am know I am in the minority where the custom resolution is a deal breaker for me if I can't get it working correctly... Shouldn't be this hard. The only other thing I can think of is when you create a custom resolution in NVCP, I think it is trying to set it in the TV mode where all the 60+hz refresh rates are under the PC list of resolutions. Not sure if there is any other way to do this.

EDIT: Ok, been trying a ton of different custom resolutions and refresh rate. I've found that regardless of ANY resolution I try, it's the custom refresh rates that make it not function correctly. Definitely not a bandwidth issue. Here are the list of settings I have tried, all result in a black screen

• 2560 x 1440 @ 75hz
  • 2560 x 1440 @100hz
  • 3840 x 1600 @ 75hz
  • 3840 x 1600 @ 100hz
  • 3840 x 1600 @ 120hz
  • 3840 x 2160 @ 75hz
Yet if I choose any of the precreated resolutions/settings, they are work with the scaling settings in the NVIDIA control panel such as 2560x1440 @ 100 and 120hz, 2560x1600 @ 60hz etc etc.

As a final solution I would try reinstalling drivers with the clean install option in case there is something weird going on.

The other option to define custom resolutions is Custom Resolution Utility but it's also an easy way to end up with no image. If you have a FE card then having only one HDMI port is going to be a problem here as with two you can just toggle to the other one and run in extended mode to fix issues if one screen ends up blank. If you have another monitor you can connect then you could try CRU. I don't know which section you would use to define the custom resolutions, probably need to add a DisplayID block. In my experience CRU vs NVCP is no difference in behavior though.

As a final solution I would try reinstalling drivers with the clean install option in case there is something weird going on.

The other option to define custom resolutions is Custom Resolution Utility but it's also an easy way to end up with no image. If you have a FE card then having only one HDMI port is going to be a problem here as with two you can just toggle to the other one and run in extended mode to fix issues if one screen ends up blank. If you have another monitor you can connect then you could try CRU. I don't know which section you would use to define the custom resolutions, probably need to add a DisplayID block. In my experience CRU vs NVCP is no difference in behavior though.

Just tried this with the latest drivers, clean install and I even switched to the other HDMI port on my 3080 for kicks. No difference. ANY custom resolution, even 3840x2160 at a rate higher than 60hz, results in a black screen.

Last edited:
Just tried this with the latest drivers, clean install and I even switched to the other HDMI port on my 3080 for kicks. No difference. ANY custom resolution, even 3840x2160 at a rate higher than 60hz, results in a black screen.
Did you try to reset the TV? I can't get custom resolutions working either (3840 x 1600 @ 120hz), but 120hz 4K works fine.

I can confirm the new firmware fixes the G-sync/Chroma issue on the CX models. So happy it was resolved right away :) Now back to gaming.

I can confirm the new firmware fixes the G-sync/Chroma issue on the CX models. So happy it was resolved right away :) Now back to gaming.
Excellent news indeed. Now I'm really excited to get a 3090. Come on Amazon, hurry up and ship that sucker!

Some people are reporting stutter/frame skipping above 96hz with Gsync. Anyone experiencing this?

Some people are reporting stutter/frame skipping above 96hz with Gsync. Anyone experiencing this?

Been playing a good solid hour of No Mans Sky, and I do not notice any stutter above 96hz? If anything since the firmware update it has been much smoother (at least for me).

Is G-Sync working now in 4k120Hz HDR with 4:4:4?

Or still limited to SDR?
G-SYNC was never limtied to SDR.

Windows does not support HDR at 8-bit 4:2:0. The minimum for HDR is 8-bit RGB / 4:4:4 with dithering or 10-bit 4:2:0.

G-SYNC was never limtied to SDR.

Windows does not support HDR at 8-bit 4:2:0. The minimum for HDR is 8-bit RGB / 4:4:4 with dithering or 10-bit 4:2:0.

So does G-Sync work with HDR 4:4:4 now? Manually switching to something different every time I want HDR and G-Sync is kind if a no-go for me.

So does G-Sync work with HDR 4:4:4 now? Manually switching to something different every time I want HDR and G-Sync is kind if a no-go for me.

There was never any incompatibility between HDR and G-Sync that I know of. I've run 1440p 120hz RGB HDR with G-Sync on it plenty of times.

Getting ready to rock 3080 and CX48 tomorrow and double checking same settings.

For HDR 4K 120Hz gaming content, I need to apply HDR ON in the Windows Display settings and then in the nVidia Control panel Desktop color depth: 32bit, Output color depth: 10 bpc, Output color format: RGB and Output dynamic range: Full?

Anything else? If G-sync is enabled, VRR is activated automatically if the TV HDMI input is PC + Game mode?

For SDR content and general desktop, do I need to change HDR OFF in the Windows Display settings every time?

EDIT: Ok, been trying a ton of different custom resolutions and refresh rate. I've found that regardless of ANY resolution I try, it's the custom refresh rates that make it not function correctly. Definitely not a bandwidth issue or even a resolution/aspect ratio. Here are the list of settings I have tried, all result in a black screen

• 2560 x 1440 @ 75hz
  • 2560 x 1440 @100hz
  • 3840 x 1600 @ 75hz
  • 3840 x 1600 @ 100hz
  • 3840 x 1600 @ 120hz
  • 3840 x 2160 @ 75hz

View attachment 284235

Anyone else with a 3080/3090 willing to test this out? 3840x1600 not working at 120HZ would be super disappointing...

Didn't someone post a reply from an LG rep that 4k HDR RGB wasn't possible with G-Sync?

I can tell you that I have HDR 4k G-Sync working with No Mans Sky. Not sure about other games, but I can confirm it does work.

But, I do not enable HDR on the desktop. Only in the game do I have it enabled at 400 nits.

Just got my Club3D adapter. Anyone have the latest firmware update? 3080 won't show anything out of the box...

Since all the links seem to be expired, I put v1.02 and v1.03 up on Dropbox. https://www.dropbox.com/s/4cbxcf0fepsncx8/CAC-1085.zip?dl=1
Hook up the USB on the adapter to a USB port on your computer. You first need to install the billboard driver and then you can install the firmware. I would just go straight to v1.03 as it has worked fine for me.

Make sure you have set the following:
  1. Enabled the display in Windows.
  2. Set your HDMI input to PC mode from Home Dashboard.
  3. Enabled HDMI Ultra Deep Color for the input.
  4. Enabled Instant Game Response for the input.
If you get blank screen or no signal, remove the USB-C cable from the adapter and plug it back in. If you try to go to HDR mode at 120 Hz you might encounter an issue where it looks washed out. Switch to 4K 60 Hz and back and this usually fixes the issue.

If you have a 3080/3090. Is there any advantage using the Club3D DP adapter vs HDMI 2.1 8k cable ? Or it it for multi screen or for people with 2080s ?

Since all the links seem to be expired, I put v1.02 and v1.03 up on Dropbox. https://www.dropbox.com/s/4cbxcf0fepsncx8/CAC-1085.zip?dl=1
Hook up the USB on the adapter to a USB port on your computer. You first need to install the billboard driver and then you can install the firmware. I would just go straight to v1.03 as it has worked fine for me.

Make sure you have set the following:
  1. Enabled the display in Windows.
  2. Set your HDMI input to PC mode from Home Dashboard.
  3. Enabled HDMI Ultra Deep Color for the input.
  4. Enabled Instant Game Response for the input.
If you get blank screen or no signal, remove the USB-C cable from the adapter and plug it back in. If you try to go to HDR mode at 120 Hz you might encounter an issue where it looks washed out. Switch to 4K 60 Hz and back and this usually fixes the issue.

You are a rockstar kasakka! I really appreciate your prompt help! After updated my Club3D adapter to the latest, I am running 3840x1600@100hz as a test and it's working great on the 3080-- No GSYNC of course but buttery smooth compared to 60hz.

I haven't been able to test the 2080 Ti yet but I will. So odd that HDMI 2.1 to HDMI 2.1 won't work for custom resolutions over 60hz but DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 does work... but GSYNC doesn't? So odd.

EDIT:

Noticed that 3840x1600@120hz with Club3D adapter cuts off the edges of the screen:
1601510495356.png

Also gamma/brightness seems to be lower and mode is forced to RGB in NVCP...

Last edited:
So are the Korean firmware for the various CX models, confirmed to be working on US/CAN models?

Has anyone rolled up or down from previous Korean firmware to a US firmware or vice versa?

I see a few people on here, on reddit reporting that it works for the LGOLED48CXPUA.

Finally got a 3090 coming Friday. Can't wait to at last use this display to its potential (and also not upgrade anything for a couple years).

If you have a 3080/3090. Is there any advantage using the Club3D DP adapter vs HDMI 2.1 8k cable ? Or it it for multi screen or for people with 2080s ?

The only reason to go DP1.4 over HDMI 2.1 would be if you need to drive multiple displays, since most 3000 series cards only have one (some two) HDMI 2.1 outputs. Not sure how that would work with VRR though...

But for a single display? There's no reason to bother with DP 1.4 that I can think of.

You are a rockstar kasakka! I really appreciate your prompt help! After updated my Club3D adapter to the latest, I am running 3840x1600@100hz as a test and it's working great on the 3080-- No GSYNC of course but buttery smooth compared to 60hz.

I haven't been able to test the 2080 Ti yet but I will. So odd that HDMI 2.1 to HDMI 2.1 won't work for custom resolutions over 60hz but DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 does work... but GSYNC doesn't? So odd.

EDIT:

Noticed that 3840x1600@120hz with Club3D adapter cuts off the edges of the screen:
View attachment 284405

Also gamma/brightness seems to be lower and mode is forced to RGB in NVCP...

Hmm I haven't noticed it cutting out the edges. Make sure Pixel Shift and Quickstart+ are off. I can double check later today.

Gamma and brightness also do not differ from HDMI on my 2080 Ti when running at 60 Hz. RGB is also not forced, I can run YUV444, YUV422 etc just fine. Will verify these things when I can get the firmware update for my model.

I have also tested the adapter on my C9 and that looked the same to me in all modes but I only tested for chroma subsampling. The C9 does not have the subsampling issue so no firmware fix needed there.

I think you should file a ticket to Nvidia in case this not working over HDMI is a driver bug. To my understanding the TV should not know any different.

Excuse me? 3 48" CX?
...pics?
I posted a pic of the rig on page 105, Sept 21st. I don't want to take up more real estate on the board posting it again.

BTW, my left CX48 is not lagging any more. Somehow the mode got turned off "game". This setup is rocking for me now in 7680x1440. I can't wait to upgrade to an RTX 3090 to really get it going, and try triple 4k. My SLI Pascal Titan XP's can't perform well enough for me there.

I can also confirm now that Horizon Zero Dawn with HDR + G-Sync works flawlessly after 3 hours (Wife is playing)

So, I think we can put that rumor that HDR + G-sync not working to bed.

Anyone having questions about that should make certain they are capping their fps 3 (up to 5 if necessary depending on some games) below the 120 top limit and keep their settings dialed in so that they don't ever drop beneath the bottom end of the VRR range in their frame rate graph. Specifically, never bumping down near 40fps or lower anywhere in their game's actual frame rate range throughout (not the frame rate average). I'd guess that would mean over 70fps average for some games, maybe over 55fps average for tighter ones, generally. The vrr range of the TV is 40 - 120.

Have something a bit confusing with my three CX48's after you guys have me checking LG Firmware.

My left and right TV's are on 3.10.41, but my center is on 3.00.70. I check for updates on the center TV, but 'No Updates Found'...

Anyone having questions about that should make certain they are capping their fps 3 (up to 5 if necessary depending on some games) below the 120 top limit and keep their settings dialed in so that they don't ever drop beneath the bottom end of the VRR range in their frame rate graph. Specifically, never bumping down near 40fps or lower anywhere in their game's actual frame rate range throughout (not the frame rate average). I'd guess that would mean over 70fps average for some games, maybe over 55fps average for tighter ones, generally. The vrr range of the TV is 40 - 120.

Yeah, the wide VRR range is one huge advantage over Samsungs QLED TVs for PC users, but I'd personally like if in the future LG and others could drop that minimum down to 30. But yes, if you go outside the VRR range performance will be a little messy since your defaulting back to standard Vsync.

Have something a bit confusing with my three CX48's after you guys have me checking LG Firmware.

My left and right TV's are on 3.10.41, but my center is on 3.00.70. I check for updates on the center TV, but 'No Updates Found'...

Check if they have different model numbers for some reason from the Support section. You can also update the firmware yourself with USB stick if you want. The process is this:
  1. Download firmware file from LG website. US firmware is not compatible with EU models so preferably use the region website.
  2. Use a USB stick formatted to FAT32 with more than 1 GB space.
  3. Create folder LG_DTV in its root.
  4. Extract firmware .epk file into LG_DTV folder.
  5. Connect USB stick to one of the TV USB ports.
  6. It should pop up a dialog about firmware update. If it doesn't, the firmware most likely is not compatible with your TV.

Yeah, the wide VRR range is one huge advantage over Samsungs QLED TVs for PC users, but I'd personally like if in the future LG and others could drop that minimum down to 30. But yes, if you go outside the VRR range performance will be a little messy since your defaulting back to standard Vsync.

80 fps average would be dead center between 40 and 120 so 75+ , 80fps average is probably a safe bet. Some games stay within a +/- 15fps range from average so you could get away with around 60fps average on those I guess.

Personally I don't think you are getting as appreciable of a performance/aesthetic increase out of a 120hz monitor until you dial in at least 100fps or 110fps average though, in regard to blur reduction or motion clarity increase and motion definition and pathing increases.

(70) 85fps <<<<< 100fps >>>> 115fps (130fps)

which is something like:

25% improved smearing FoV movement?? <<<<<< 40% blur reduction + 5:3 motion def increase >>>>>>> ~ 50% blur reduction ("fuzzy" blur) + 2:1 (double) the motion definition/smoothness

When you are at 120hz on a desktop you are always at 120fps solid, where people like to see their mouse movement and window dragging so much smoother. Once you cut down too much from 120fps solid (117 capped) goal in games, your 50% blur reduction/ +50% clarity increase is reduced and you aren't getting double the motion frames thoughout your graph anymore either... and that low end of the frame rate graph is usually in long views in game worlds, long vistas etc and importantly, in periods with combat and FX firing which tanks your frame rate.

sub 60fps is absolutely chunky e.g. 30fps. I play bloodborne on ps4 from time to time and it's quite a transition to digest even if coming from a 60fps (solid) souls game like dark souls 3 or Nioh on pc. Even just the character animations aside from the FoV movement are quite chuggy. Nioh and DarkSouls3 are playable at 60fps solid with no dips, graphics cranked. I'm looking forward to some of the newer souls-like games (and assassin's creed valhalla with souls-like stamina system supposedly) on the OLED eventually for the glorious black depths, 4k rez, and the fact that some of the newer ones are 120hz capable. It's too bad interpolation causes input lag. A 60fps game would really benefit from increased frames on a 120hz display.

Last edited:
sub 60fps is absolutely chunky e.g. 30fps. I play bloodborne on ps4 from time to time and it's quite a transition to digest even if coming from a 60fps (solid) souls game like dark souls 3 or Nioh on pc. Even just the character animations aside from the FoV movement are quite chuggy. Nioh and DarkSouls3 are playable at 60fps solid with no dips, graphics cranked. I'm looking forward to some of the newer souls-like games on the OLED eventually for the glorious black depths, 4k rez, and the fact that some of the newer ones are 120hz capable. It's too bad interpolation causes input lag. A 60fps game would really benefit from increased frames on a 120hz display.

Bloodborne has terrible frame pacing. If you have a PS4 Pro, turn on the boost feature in the settings, it helps. If there is ever a game that I would like remastered for PS5 or just released on PC, it's BB. Love that game despite its issues but that "sometimes 30 fps" experience is rough coming from PC games or even modern "stable 30 fps" PS4 games.

For me anything with a stable 60+ fps is good but I like having the headroom to go above that number. Everything on top of that is an improvement in how it feels to play.

Unfortunately Souls games and 120 Hz is not happening in anything but Sekiro on PC. That needs a mod tool but after that runs quite gloriously at 100-120 fps and I haven't noticed any issues, I played through it like that several times. I hope they support arbitrary framerates in their future games.

Back