LG 48CX

That was a C9 though.

Yes, because that’s what they happened to have available to test with. Since it hasn’t been possible until now because of the HDMI 2.0 bandwidth issue, there’s no reason to think that it won’t work. He lists and mentions the BX and CX in the video. The bandwidth is there, so unless there’s a firmware bug it should work like it does on the B9 and C9. We will know for sure soon enough!

Have any of the reviewers verified all of the 4K /120 modes on the CX and or C9 yet with HDMI 2.1?

So I just managed to pre-order a playstation 5. Now I'm debating whether I move the 55" C6 OLED thats currently in my movie/console game area in the basement into the bedroom (no TV in there currently), then move the 55" CX OLED from my office into the basement to be used with the PS5 (Would also allow me to watch Dolby Vision content at 60hz, the C6 is limited to 24hz). I would then buy a nice 1440P or 3440x1440 monitor for my gaming PC. Thinking that way the 2080Ti will be more than enough.

I'm not sold on 4K gaming - I think the reason I like the CX so much is for the image quality and smoothness, not because of its 4k resolution. I hate turning down settings in games, infuriates me. There's also the fear in the back of my mind with using the CX as a computer monitor - I do not want burn in after 1-2 years. Decisions decisions.

So I just managed to pre-order a playstation 5. Now I'm debating whether I move the 55" C6 OLED thats currently in my movie/console game area in the basement into the bedroom (no TV in there currently), then move the 55" CX OLED from my office into the basement to be used with the PS5 (Would also allow me to watch Dolby Vision content at 60hz, the C6 is limited to 24hz). I would then buy a nice 1440P or 3440x1440 monitor for my gaming PC. Thinking that way the 2080Ti will be more than enough.

I'm not sold on 4K gaming - I think the reason I like the CX so much is for the image quality and smoothness, not because of its 4k resolution. I hate turning down settings in games, infuriates me. There's also the fear in the back of my mind with using the CX as a computer monitor - I do not want burn in after 1-2 years. Decisions decisions.
For the moment, the Best Buy plan covers burn in, but it's over $200.

My strategy when I bought the C7 three years ago paid off 2x recently. I bought it as secondary PC monitor for games / regular use also. I KNEW it would eventually burn so I purchased it at Best Buy with the 5y extended warranty. It indeed burned so I called in the warranty last month. They had me take a picture and after emailing it they simply sent back a gift card for the original purchase amount. When I went to the store to buy the replacement (55" CX) it was $200 more than I originally paid three years ago - no problem they game me a $200 price reduction on the spot.

Now get this - when I asked if they would come pickup the old one for disposal they said they would but for a fee otherwise it was all on me to get rid of it. I did some googling and found threads talking about an LG "one time courtesy replacement of burned panels". I called their 800 number and a week later they sent out a repair guy with a replacement panel to fix the old one.

Have any of the reviewers verified all of the 4K /120 modes on the CX and or C9 yet with HDMI 2.1?

Not yet, though I'd be surprised if rtings doesn't go back and verify once they get a GPU that can handle it. I'm holding off for exactly that reason personally.

Speaking as someone who owns an older OLEG (LG B6), you are fine as long as you take some basic precautions. Screensaver after 15 minutes, hide the damn windows taskbar (this is the one that bit me; I do have some burn in because I didn't do that step), and don't run the OLED light at high values outside of HDR use. That being said, newer OLEDs are a bit more resistant then by B6 is (and to be fair, I used it almost exclusively as a PC monitor); I'd say as long as you aren't stupid with it you should be fine. If you still have concerns, Samsungs QLED might be a better way to go.

So the 3000 series can provide 4:4:4 at 120hz 4k am I correct?
We still don't know if the CX can display 4K 120 Hz 4:4:4. Everything points to it downsampling to 4:2:2.

No. I'm tired of all the cookie cutter GPU reviews that don't even look at issues with new technology like HDMI 2.1. The one reviewer who tried it with a C9 just raved about how great OLED and 4K is, and didn't bother with any technical testing.

Last edited:
It can.
(From SweClockers forum), but reportedly vrr has issues.

The CX merely accepts an RGB or 4:4:4 signal. It still downsamples it to 4:2:2 internally at 4K & 1080p 120 Hz.

With the internal downsampling from a 4:4:4 or RGB signal, text does not look as bad as sending it a native 4:2:2 signal, but the downsampling is still visible.

The CX merely accepts an RGB or 4:4:4 signal. It still downsamples it to 4:2:2 internally at 4K & 1080p 120 Hz.

With the internal downsampling from a 4:4:4 or RGB signal, text does not look as bad as sending it a native 4:2:2 signal, but the downsampling is still visible.
Possible, but that makes no technical sense?
It still needs to have bandwidth to accept and process the signal and then it's just more work to downsample than to just display it fully.
The CX is clearly capable of displaying a full RGB signal at 60Hz, so it should just be a matter of bandwidth.

The poster of the screenshot is someone I trust would notice 4:2:2 and be claims 4:4:4 works. Also one of the first I see with a 3080, most previous info was with the sketchy dp-adaptor.
With that said, I don't know personally, just relaying the info.

Well, some strange happenings with me.

I own a C9 along with a new RTX 3080. After a long painful wait, I can finally game @ 4K 120hz which is ... amazing, Game changer.

Intitially, I had a LOT of really weird trouble with my old cable which was a premium 4K 60hz rated gold plated 18awg 6' cable. Weirdness in that parts of the screen would be missing, for example, about 30% of the right side would just be gone as in a black section. Sometimes the left side and sometimes a narrow band of blackness in the middle. I quickly deduced that this must be my current cable and the bandwidth limitations of that cable.

So a quick trip to Microcenter and $27 later I had a 8k @ 60hz / 4K @ 120hz 48GBs 6' HDMI cable. Did it fix the problem, yes, ( I think ) but I had to reboot, remove the plug and play monitor from the hardware tree, reboot again, reinstall drivers and it started working .... KIND OF.

COD Warzone would not launch and instead go straight into a unrecoverable black screen. After fiddling around, turning off Gsync ... yes, TURNING OFF Gsync ... it fixed my problems.

On a side note, COD Warzone with high / ultra settings runs at 110FPS @ 4K @ 120hz Full Screen Border-less. It's beautiful.

Can anyone help me with the Gsync issue?? I would like to turn it on and use that feature and have COD Warzone play correctly. In fact, and advice on how I should have my settings???

PXL_20200917_163537805.jpgPXL_20200917_225722350.jpgPXL_20200917_232020555.NIGHT.jpgPXL_20200918_013743948.jpg

It can.
(From SweClockers forum), but reportedly vrr has issues.

Can you link to the thread? I am also interested in how it behaves with a real HDMI 2.1 device and whether it downsamples to 4:22 SDR at 120 Hz or does whatever the hell it is doing in HDR mode like when used with the Club3D adapter.

I can confirm that the TV should be able to handle 4K 120 Hz 10-bit RGB just fine, every piece of software (NVCP, Windows Display settings, TV diagnostics) reports this is what is being used but the TV is clearly doing something to the signal since the LG C9 does not have this issue at all when used at the same settings with the Club3D adapter. I really hope it's just a bug that LG will fix with a firmware update as more HDMI 2.1 devices come to market.

So what I'm reading here and on avsforum is that

- people with a nvidia 3080 and either a C9 or a CX OLED are getting black screen with VRR enabled at 120hz 4k on hdmi 2.1 so VRR is not functioning

- the CX is internally downsampling to 422 chroma even if sent a 444 signal at 120hz, while the C9 does not have this issue at all

--------------------------

Hopefully this will be cleared up by november when I'll be looking to buy an OLED.

I own a C9 along with a new RTX 3080. After a long painful wait, I can finally game @ 4K 120hz which is ... amazing, Game changer.

Intitially, I had a LOT of really weird trouble with my old cable which was a premium 4K 60hz rated gold plated 18awg 6' cable. Weirdness in that parts of the screen would be missing, for example, about 30% of the right side would just be gone as in a black section. Sometimes the left side and sometimes a narrow band of blackness in the middle. I quickly deduced that this must be my current cable and the bandwidth limitations of that cable.

So a quick trip to Microcenter and $27 later I had a 8k @ 60hz / 4K @ 120hz 48GBs 6' HDMI cable. Did it fix the problem, yes, ( I think ) but I had to reboot, remove the plug and play monitor from the hardware tree, reboot again, reinstall drivers and it started working .... KIND OF.

COD Warzone would not launch and instead go straight into a unrecoverable black screen. After fiddling around, turning off Gsync ... yes, TURNING OFF Gsync ... it fixed my problems.

On a side note, COD Warzone with high / ultra settings runs at 110FPS @ 4K @ 120hz Full Screen Border-less. It's beautiful.

Can anyone help me with the Gsync issue?? I would like to turn it on and use that feature and have COD Warzone play correctly. In fact, and advice on how I should have my settings???

View attachment 280292View attachment 280293View attachment 280294View attachment 280295

HDMI Ultra Speed cables are still a shitshow with no proper certification. http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/hdmi-2-1-cables-scam.htm

So apart from trying yet another cable there is not much you can do. It is probably a bug with 4K 120 Hz VRR on the LG TVs. You could try dropping down to 8-bit color and turning off HDR and see if that changes anything. Further testing would be dropping down to 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 to see if having more bandwidth helps.

Also make sure you have Pixel Shift off when using 120 Hz because it will otherwise blur the screen.

PS. Congrats on getting the 3080, a lot of people seem to be pissed about not being able to buy one thanks to bots and scalpers. How do you like it in terms of noise levels? Is that card just 2 slots like it looks in the pic?

Interesting to know if LG will solve this internal downsampling issue on the 48CX. It breaks the whole point of owning one.
Or maybe they will add the full 4K support only in 48CXI models next year that will probably come with increased price and a new chip... Since their current chip in the 48CX simply doesn't support such resolution. In that case I wonder how it passed the Nvidia certification.

Interesting to know if LG will solve this internal downsampling issue on the 48CX. It breaks the whole point of owning one.
Or maybe they will add the full 4K support only in 48CXI models next year that will probably come with increased price and a new chip... Since their current chip in the 48CX simply doesn't support such resolution. In that case I wonder how it passed the Nvidia certification.

To be fair the difference is hard to see in regular use. People who just watch TV/movies or play on consoles will be none the wiser.

On my pc, when my 43" samsung nu6900 defaulted to it's named input being named HDMI instead of PC, it dropped the (RGB) 444 and I could tell instantly on torn edges of text. I would never find that acceptable on any screen. Once I changed the input back to "PC" the screen supported full rgb properly and the tattered text went away.

While this is the most obvious in static text on the desktop it happens in PC games and photos too. Some pc games also have a lot of text, including RPGs and RTS, storied games and plenty of games with stats. It doesn't just affect text either, it's just more obvious and painful to look at in text. Movies are made in 4:2:0 so yeah, not going to be an issue there. Existing consoles too but I don't know what the new consoles will be considering they will have hdmi 2.1.

The quest(1) OLED VR headset supports these incidentally ... Rec2020, Rec 709, DCI-P3, Adobe RGB
https://developer.oculus.com/learn/color-brightness-mastering/?locale=en_US
Color Management
The Oculus Go and Rift S’ LCD limitations prevent them from meaningfully differentiating brightness levels below 13 out of 255 for 8-bit sRGB or 0.0015 out of 1.0 max for linear-RGB shader output values. If a VR app uses an extensive amount of these dark ranges, it is recommended to author content in a higher brightness range as much as possible.

We recommend app developers to master all of their applications for the Oculus Rift and Rift S to the Rift CV1 color space on an Oculus Rift CV1, Rec.2020 color space for Oculus Quest, and Rec.709 color space for Oculus Go. The OLED display has a wider color gamut than the LCD and allows for richer visual experiences. VR apps authored for the Oculus Go and Rift S color spaces tend to have dull or washed out colors when viewed on the Oculus Quest and Rift CV1 displays.

Requested rectilinear-mirror outputs are composited without any color space adjustment. However, if a client requests a post-distortion (i.e. non-rectilinear) mirror output, it will be provided with the same color adjustment that was applied for the HMD output. Post-distortion mirror may not have acceptable color-space accuracy when viewing on desktop.

Oh boy with all these issues that keep on popping up, I am so glad I did not end up selling my Acer X27 yet 😵 my CX still makes for a great TV at least....except for the raised blacks in Dolby Vision 😑

They are wrinkles that could very well get ironed out.. This is very early adoption at this point. A hdmi 2.1 gpu wasn't available until a day ago more or less if that.

If it turns out to be something unfixable at the hardware level I might start looking at a 55" C9 or E9 in november I guess, if available. I'm not really interested in BFI so other than the size I don't think it would be missing out on anything really.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure 4:4:4 has been being downsampled to 4:2:2 since the B6, since I'm pretty sure my B6 is doing that. RGB Full is fine for text rendering if you keep sharpness down a bit though (I think I'm at 10 sharpness). I've actually had *more* problems trying to get 4:4:4 to work and have stuck with RGB since then.

They are wrinkles that could very well get ironed out.. This is very early adoption at this point. A hdmi 2.1 gpu wasn't available until a day ago more or less if that.

If it turns out to be something unfixable at the hardware level I might start looking at a 55" C9 or E9 in november I guess, if available. I'm not really interested in BFI so other than the size I don't think it would be missing out on anything really.

Whats interested is people claim that VRR works with the adapter, so I'm actually more inclined to blame NVIDIA right now for any VRR issues. The fact the adapter works means the TV is known able to accept the signal.

View attachment 280292View attachment 280293View attachment 280294View attachment 280295
Thanks for posting this, and congratulations on your new card purchase! I suspect a lot of 30xx owners are in for a surprise when they realise their own HDMI cables aren't really ready for this beast of a TV/display.... me included. But I didn't spend a lot on them, it'll just be a case of waiting til I can get a card and also reading reviews on here for those cables that are known to work.

Alright so can I get the TDLR on the C9. HDMI 2.1 is fully working with a 3080 at 4:4:4 but as of now VRR/gsync is broken on both the C9 and CX? It probably is never going to get fixed on the C9 I bet.

Whats interested is people claim that VRR works with the adapter, so I'm actually more inclined to blame NVIDIA right now for any VRR issues. The fact the adapter works means the TV is known able to accept the signal.
VRR isn’t even an option with the adapter.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure 4:4:4 has been being downsampled to 4:2:2 since the B6, since I'm pretty sure my B6 is doing that. RGB Full is fine for text rendering if you keep sharpness down a bit though (I think I'm at 10 sharpness). I've actually had *more* problems trying to get 4:4:4 to work and have stuck with RGB since then.

RGB is 444. YCbCr 444 just has to be converted to RGB.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/8rlf2z/psa_4k_144_hz_monitors_use_chroma_subsampling_for/
Since RGB-format images don't have luma or chroma components, you can't have "chroma subsampling" on an RGB image, since there are no chroma values for you to subsample in the first place. Terms like "RGB 4:4:4" are redundant/nonsensical. RGB format is always full resolution in all channels, which is equivalent or better than YCbCr 4:4:4. You can just call it RGB, RGB is always "4:4:4".

Also, chroma subsampling is not a form of compression, because it doesn't involve any de-compression on the receiving side to recover any of the data. It is simply gone. 4:2:2 removes half the color information from the image, and 4:2:0 removes 3/4 of it, and you don't get any of it back. The information is simply removed, and that's all there is to it. So please don't refer to it as "4:2:2 compression" or "compressed using chroma subsampling" or things like that, it's no more a form of compression than simply reducing resolution from 4K to 1080p is; that isn't compression, that's just reducing the resolution. By the same token, 4:2:2 isn't compression, it's just subsampling (reducing the resolution on 2/3 of the components).

The poster of the screenshot is someone I trust would notice 4:2:2 and be claims 4:4:4 works. Also one of the first I see with a 3080, most previous info was with the sketchy dp-adaptor.
The internal downsampling is not noticeable in the NVIDIA Control Panel's white / blue / black colour scheme. It's clearly visible in "chroma-444.png". A native 4:2:2 signal looks much worse and is instantly noticeable, which is what people would be looking for. Perceptually, the internal downsampling is in-between 4:2:2 and 4:4:4.

If it was an adapter issue, it doesn't explain why 1440p 120 Hz works fine. If anything, odd resolutions like 1440p should be broken while 4K and 1080p should work fine, but it's the opposite. We already know 1440p 120 Hz is a "special" resolution on the C9 and CX.

RGB is converted to 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 in the TV. The older models supported 4:4:4 rendering with PC icon. With the CX, 4:4:4 is downsampled even with PC icon when the resolution is 4K or 1080p 120 Hz. 60 Hz works fine. The C9 does not have this issue at 120 Hz.

Last edited:
Hopefully a firmware upgrade from LG is in the works.

How do we even know the issue is known by LG? Does someone need to open a ticket with them or something? Would that even get proper escalation? It feels like Nvidia has a partnership / interest in the LG OLED as its the only TV certified for GSync as I understand it. They should push this up the chain.

Last edited:
It's Nvidias fault:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...e-45638-game-ready-driver-feedback-thread-re/

Massive issues also on other monitors with Gsync-compatible. Perfect timing xD
How? There is absolutely no mention of the downsampling.

Based on the appearance of the image, the GPU is indeed sending a true RGB signal. 4K 120 Hz RGB internally downsampled with PC icon looks identical to 4K 60 Hz RGB internally downsampled without PC icon. With PC icon, 4K 60 Hz RGB is not downsampled.

Reactions: elvn
like this
How? There is absolutely no mention of the downsampling.

Based on the appearance of the image, the GPU is indeed sending a true RGB signal. 4K 120 Hz RGB internally downsampled with PC icon looks identical to 4K 60 Hz RGB internally downsampled without PC icon. With PC icon, 4K 60 Hz RGB is not downsampled.

Sorry, i was referring to the gsync black screen issue.

So the downsampling is still occuring if you have a 3080 at 120Hz/4K? If so that is very disappointing, one of the main reasons why I bought this LG OLED is to get 120Hz 4K at 4:4:4 with a 3000 series card.

Thank you early adopters, I can now search for a deal on a C9 instead. 55" kinda sucks, but I can move my desk back a bit from my wall mount....again.

So as of now it seems like:

- nvidia VRR at 4k 120hz 444 on hdmi 2.1 is broken ... most likely nvidia driver issue and affects the C9, E9, CX as well as other "g-sync compatible" monitors. This should be fixed in a reasonable amount of time I'm guessing

- LG CX internally downsamples 4k 120 Hz RGB to at least 4:2:2, losing color information and making text "tattered". This does not happen on the C9 and E9 from what I've heard. So far no word on if it's fixable via firmware on the CX at some point of if it's a hardware limitation.

The fact that the ports are 40Gbps is making some people nervous about the CX having cut some corners hardware wise. Hopefully that isn't the case. It could just be early adoption wrinkles software wise. Hopefully it will all get sorted out by november which I've been waiting a long time for as my time to purchase an OLED.

Just got my triple CX48's installed for my sim rig. Bit of an issue with the center screen which is the one I was using first before I bought the other two CX's.

The two new ones (left and right) both went through the TV setup and automatically turned on HDR and were in HDR mode. They are on nice cables running to the Club 3d Display Port Adapters.

The center TV is running on HDMI. I swapped out the HDMI cable and still can't get HDR on this center CX48. I am running them on on 2 Pascal Titans in SLI...

I can't seem to find a setting in the CX48 menus to turn on HDR. Am I missing it somehow?

Or should I get another CLUB 3d Adapter and go all display port?

EDIT: So I just tried switching the center to one of the display ports (same HDMI cable), and it automatically went into HDR. So it's an HDMI issue. Sigh. Is it the old HDMI ports on the Pascal Titans? I don't even know what version they are.

Back