LG 48CX

View this image at 100% without any scaling. It is the best test of 4:4:4 vs 4:2:2. Download the image and view it outside browser (this will not work inside browser as scaling destroys the test)

You will be able to read one or the other (4:2:2 at the top or 4:4:4 at the bottom).

Attachments

• ibyJcwdIniHUEs.png
    ibyJcwdIniHUEs.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 0
Does anyone know how to ensure "screen shift" is kept off? It needs to be kept off to keep text sharp.

I reset my TV a couple of days ago, and since then every time it restarts it shows "screen shift" as off, but text is blurry. So I need to keep going into the menu to turn it on & off again.

What, so complaining actually overclocks the panel?
Just a wild guess, but it could be limited hardware resources in the scaler where it can handle only a single 120 Hz resolution at 4:4:4. If it's reprogrammable, they could update the scaler for 4K 120 Hz at 4:4:4, rather than 1440p. That would also explain why 1080p 120 Hz doesn't work at 4:4:4. In a low volume product, the scaler might be an FPGA.

Last edited:
View this image at 100% without any scaling. It is the best test of 4:4:4 vs 4:2:2. Download the image and view it outside browser (this will not work inside browser as scaling destroys the test)

You will be able to read one or the other (4:2:2 at the top or 4:4:4 at the bottom).

Interestingly, I just ran a test on my B6 using 4k60, and 4:2:2, 4:4:4, and RGB Full all display the same. The 4:4:4 line is barely visible in all cases, but the 4:2:2 is clear. Note that text rendering is *significantly* better using RGB or 4:4:4, so I'm sure that whatever I set is being applied.

Does anyone know how to ensure "screen shift" is kept off? It needs to be kept off to keep text sharp.

I reset my TV a couple of days ago, and since then every time it restarts it shows "screen shift" as off, but text is blurry. So I need to keep going into the menu to turn it on & off again.

You can't because this is a bug.

It's comical how worthless all these media sources are. They're literally paid to review this hardware and provide consumers with information like this, but nope. As always, all the real information comes from the community of users and not the paid shills.

Its as if we live in a world of absolute corruption and spoonfed consumerism!

Your CX has Covid!

Was looking foward to picking one up when Titan A releases, really want to check out the BFI, think I prefer it to VRR, I would reduce settings to keep fps above 100 if I had to. But these issues are showstoppers.

AW55 can do 8bit + dithering too with HDR enabled. Going to try the Calibration Tools program Elvn mentioned to see if dithering can be enabled without enabling HDR. But no, don't keep it and sell it to me! lol

I have Elvn "Cliff Clavin of H" on ignore, nothing personal just tired of the copy pastahh!
hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Ok so I see 444 at the bottom, doeso that mean right now I have 4k 120hz Full RGB 12bit 444 BT.2020? Cause that's what im running right now with the adapter on my E9.
The 444 at the bottom is very clear, like normal. But the 422 at the top is barely visible. What does that mean?

4k120 444 for me on C9

I know but it's 10ft...that's too long....why can't they make like 3ft or 6ft ones? I don't understand.

Probably because under 10 foot copper should be fine. Shouldn't be enough interference to affect the cable at a 6 foot length. I just ordered one of the 48Gbps 6 foot cables they have.

After trying the club3d adapter for a week running 4k 120hz RGB,... I switched back to just HDMI and I realize every seem to look much better without the adapter ......colors, sharpness, text and even motion..
Also, the adapter seem to get really really hot.....so I's really considering returning the adapter now...

well damn was supposed to receive my unit today from amazon, but didn't get it. package says delivered, signature on file though :)

4k120 444 for me on C9

Make sure you save the image to disk and view it using Windows image viewer (not a browser). Then make it full screen and make sure the image is not scaled in any way (the image itself is 960x720 pixels so it should only cover a small part of the screen. The key is to not resize it up or down).

This test has worked very reliably for me on 2015 samsung TVs and the C7 OLED.

When this is working properly you will see 4:4:4 very distinctly and 4:2:2 will be barely perceptible shadow (or the other way around if your display is 4:2:2). If you scale the image you will see both but not very clearly (which is useless)

Its as if we live in a world of absolute corruption and spoonfed consumerism!

Your CX has Covid!

I have Elvn "Cliff Clavin of H" on ignore, nothing personal just tired of the copy pastahh!

It's called doing research. You're just sore from overpaying for your alienware without HDR, and having it drop $1000 right after you bought it lol.

tVPJYjN.png

If I want to read bumper sticker sentiments and personal b.s. I'd go to facebook or twitter. I learn a lot on this forum and I try to help people with whatever info I can find and learn. I can also learn when I'm wrong which some people seem to have a hard time doing.

Last edited:
What's the best way to watch HDR from pc? Was using MPC+madVR but HDR passthrough doesn't work with latest Nvidia driver, using an older driver isn't practical since I'm playing death stranding and pre-ordered HZD

http://bugs.madshi.net/view.php?id=647

Would just copy films to my 8tb external drive and use the tv's player but enough have DTS that it's a pain

Apparently LG is doubling its OLED production. As we know from freshman economics, increasing supply, especially to the degree that LG is doing it, has the potential to lower prices if it drops per unit costs.

Anyway, that and maybe they'll have enough manufacturing space/panel volume soon to consider a 43" experiment... :) We can dream anyway...

Link is below:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/24/21336883/lg-display-oled-panel-manufacturing-plant-tv-china-lcd

So sad a great South Korean company investing so much into communist China. I know those plans were in motion well before the Chinese Kung-Flu, but sad nonetheless.

Make sure you save the image to disk and view it using Windows image viewer (not a browser). Then make it full screen and make sure the image is not scaled in any way (the image itself is 960x720 pixels so it should only cover a small part of the screen. The key is to not resize it up or down).

This test has worked very reliably for me on 2015 samsung TVs and the C7 OLED.

When this is working properly you will see 4:4:4 very distinctly and 4:2:2 will be barely perceptible shadow (or the other way around if your display is 4:2:2). If you scale the image you will see both but not very clearly (which is useless)

Yea that's what I did. I downloaded the picture and open it full screen without scaling or resizing. I see 444 very clear and the 422 is barely. So what does that mean? Does that mean I am running 444 and it's working ?

No matter what settings I use I get a lot of noise playing TLOU 2 on PS4 pro. Hdr game mode is what I've been using. No matter what I do I can't get a clean picture. I've had the Cx48 for about 2 weeks and have my PC settings dialed in perfect, 4k, 60hz, RGB, 8bit which looks awesome. I finally had some time to hook the console up and it doesn't look good at all. Its getting late. I'll try again tomorrow.

TLOU has some disgusting film grain if that's what you're referring to by "noise"

If I use the Club3D adapter and set 4K 120 Hz it seems to want to go to 4:2:2 even at 8-bit though NVCP says RGB Full. 4K 60 Hz seems to only show 4:4:4 at 60 Hz or under if you try to use 10 or 12 bit color.

I got a reply from Club3D that said:

Could you make sure the TV is running its latest firmware
Under Advanced Display Settings please make sure the resolution matches your resolution under Nvidia Control Panel
Please select the Resolution under PC settings

Under TV Dashboard - please change input device to PC
Instant Game Response On
HDMI Ultra Deep Colour On
Aspect Ratio Setting – Just Scan On
Under Dashboard – Select Input Setting - PC
Under General – Additional Settings – Live Plus Off

I said I have done all that and after that have received no response from them. I will give them a few days next week to get back to me and if they don't have a reasonable answer I will just return the adapter.

Last edited:
So I got the 1m (3ft) 48gbs hdmi cable from Club 3D to test with the Adapter. And it works perfectly, the only issue I still have is when I restart my PC, I lost the BT2020 gamut colors, and also I can't use the PC icon for the HDMI because it makes the screen flickers, even though I can still see eertything, there are these flickerings around the screen. So right now I'm using the Game console icon for the HDMI input. I mean it's still not 100% working but at least it's worth it to me. The 4k 120hz HDR Full RGB 12bit looks stunning on Desktop and Games. Texts are clear as hell.

So I got the 1m (3ft) 48gbs hdmi cable from Club 3D to test with the Adapter. And it works perfectly, the only issue I still have is when I restart my PC, I lost the BT2020 gamut colors, and also I can't use the PC icon for the HDMI because it makes the screen flickers, even though I can still see eertything, there are these flickerings around the screen. So right now I'm using the Game console icon for the HDMI input. I mean it's still not 100% working but at least it's worth it to me. The 4k 120hz HDR Full RGB 12bit looks stunning on Desktop and Games. Texts are clear as hell.

If you are not using PC mode I don't think you are getting 4:4:4/full RGB. I suggest checking Ziran's test image or this one.

For me with the adapter I can only get 4:4:4 at 4K 8-bit 60 Hz even though NVCP reports otherwise. 4:2:2 does look perfectly fine to my eyes though but in Ziran's test image I can barely see the 4:4:4 text and in the one linked above I can see the bottom two rows look fuzzier.

it seems to want to go to 4:2:2 even at 8-bit though NV
If you are not using PC mode I don't think you are getting 4:4:4/full RGB. I suggest checking Ziran's test image or this one.

For me with the adapter I can only get 4:4:4 at 4K 8-bit 60 Hz even though NVCP reports otherwise. 4:2:2 does look perfectly fine to my eyes though but in Ziran's test image I can barely see the 4:4:4 text and in the one linked above I can see the bottom two rows look fuzzier.

Uh I did that test image on Game console mode, and I got 4k 120hz Full RGB 12bit 444

Ok I finally bothered to haul my PC to the living room and connect it to my 65" C9. The Club3D adapter with Club3D 2m cable works significantly better on this one.

When looking at the two test images, if I have the C9 input set to Game console it seemed to output at 4:2:2. With the input icon set to PC it outputs 4:4:4, even at 4K 120 Hz 12-bit from what I can tell!

But the more remarkable thing is that I suffer far less of the issues I am getting on my CX 48". I got the blank screen requiring power cycling a couple of times rather than 90% of the time, and I haven't got the "should be 4K 120 Hz but is 1920x2160 120 Hz" issue at all. HDR toggle still seems to cause the need to power cycle the adapter.

It seems like Club3D has not tested this adapter at all on the CX series, only the C9 which works a lot better. It's far from perfect but still, a lot better. This unfortunately is not helpful for me since I am not going to use the PC with this TV. But the C9 at least delivers on its promises for 4K 120 Hz support. LG have obviously done something wrong on the CX because it has more problems. We will have to see if firmware fixes and HDMI 2.1 GPUs improve this situation. I would like to get 4K 120 Hz 10-bit 4:4:4.

Ok I finally bothered to haul my PC to the living room and connect it to my 65" C9. The Club3D adapter with Club3D 2m cable works significantly better on this one.

When looking at the two test images, if I have the C9 input set to Game console it seemed to output at 4:2:2. With the input icon set to PC it outputs 4:4:4, even at 4K 120 Hz 12-bit from what I can tell!

But the more remarkable thing is that I suffer far less of the issues I am getting on my CX 48". I got the blank screen requiring power cycling a couple of times rather than 90% of the time, and I haven't got the "should be 4K 120 Hz but is 1920x2160 120 Hz" issue at all. HDR toggle still seems to cause the need to power cycle the adapter.

It seems like Club3D has not tested this adapter at all on the CX series, only the C9 which works a lot better. It's far from perfect but still, a lot better. This unfortunately is not helpful for me since I am not going to use the PC with this TV. But the C9 at least delivers on its promises for 4K 120 Hz support. LG have obviously done something wrong on the CX because it has more problems. We will have to see if firmware fixes and HDMI 2.1 GPUs improve this situation. I would like to get 4K 120 Hz 10-bit 4:4:4.

I don't know why you only get 422 with your C9 input set to Game Console. I am running input set to Game console on my E9 and I get 444 12bit Full RGB 4k 120hz. And yes , I did the 444 / 422 test image above.

I can't seem to get anything but 4K 120 Hz 4:2:2 out of the Club3D adapter on the CX 48". Even at 8-bit. 4K 60 Hz works at 8-bit just fine. Exact same setup as I used with the C9, exact same settings as far as I can tell.

The adapter is definitely going back unless Club3D can get me a firmware update for it or something. Even on the C9 I got enough blank screen issues that it would not be acceptable.

Not sure if this was covered, did not see it - but does anyone have issues with resolution changing when shutting off their TV and turning it on? My screen becomes zoomed in and fuzzy (even though it says resolution is unchanged). So after turning on the TV I have to constantly change resolution and then switch back to get to the original. Really annoying!

Not sure if this was covered, did not see it - but does anyone have issues with resolution changing when shutting off their TV and turning it on? My screen becomes zoomed in and fuzzy (even though it says resolution is unchanged). So after turning on the TV I have to constantly change resolution and then switch back to get to the original. Really annoying!

This is maybe the pixel shift bug. It will turn back on even if in the UI it says it is off. Just toggle pixel shift on and back off and it should be solved. This mainly seems to affect 4K 120 Hz.

Last edited:
I know but it's 10ft...that's too long....why can't they make like 3ft or 6ft ones? I don't understand.

RUIPRO sells 3ft / 6ft / 10ft 48Gbps fiber cables. The cost is crazy and I have no experience with the 48Gbps cables from them but they are available from a reputable provider. I personally own two of the RUIPRO 18Gbps cables and it has historically been the most recommended fiber cable on avsforums.
https://www.amazon.com/RUIPRO-Dynam...ruipro+fiber+cable&qid=1595691366&sr=8-4&th=1

With that said, someone posted earlier and said they watched a youtube video where it was determined that the Club3D adapter was not compatible with fiber cables. Seems like a pretty big YMMV type situation, but if you really wanted to play around with it the option is there.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thats gotta be it then. I just started the game and no matter what settings, off or low, looks like white noise. I gotta be doing something wrong. I'll figure it out though.

Edit: I just figured it out. I think I'll wait for the patch

https://naughtydog.helpshift.com/we...-a-way-to-adjust-the-film-grain-setting&p=all

I wouldn't hold my breath on them adding a film grain slider. You get use to it after a few hours so just play and enjoy the game. I just finished it up and moved on to Death Stranding.

Anyone able to post a pic of the lg cx 48 on a ergotron hx desk mount. And..

what would be the optimum desk depth for desktop use?

Anyone able to post a pic of the lg cx 48 on a ergotron hx desk mount. And..

what would be the optimum desk depth for desktop use?

It would just look like a picture of the display floating. Desk depth as deep as you can find really. I have mine on a 80cm deep desk and wish it was a bit deeper.

So from the above, I guess there's a question as to whether the CX can do 4K 120 Hz 4:4:4? But maybe with the additional variable that there's the adapter involved presently?

So from the above, I guess there's a question as to whether the CX can do 4K 120 Hz 4:4:4? But maybe with the additional variable that there's the adapter involved presently?

There should be no reason why it could not but we won't know for sure until HDMI 2.1 GPUs are out.

Back