LG 48CX

Bless Bestbuy and living in southern California. 2 days from order to delivery.

View attachment 259804

hey cool guy, I live on the southern coast of alabama, and i got mine in 2 days too..best buy is getting these things like they stole them.

I did find it kind of weird that bestbuy/fedex didn’t require a signature on a 1,600 purchase..seems like I’ve had to sign for almost everything like $400+. but they just sat it at my door, a giant blue box with the giant font reading LG CX OLED, just sitting at my front door step like it was a pizza.

Sure.

Looking at it again I think this issue has nothing to do with LG's OLED but instead it's a gsync issue itself. I have played game after game after game on my CX and there has been absolutely zero "brightening of near black objects". None. This weird flickering I've encountered in the Witcher 3 before on an older gsync monitor of mine so I'm positive this is just a gsync problem with this game in particular.

Top video looks like an artifact due to the way OLED works with the animated grey cloud in the back. Some darker shades of grey are lost when a pixel transitions from off and full black to on.

The second makes it look like an issue with the cable you're using. What type of cable and how long? Remember that G-SYNC does not work on this TV with Pascal cards.

Funny how all that talk about OLED burn-in makes you change your habits...
I find myself occasionally moving windows slightly to another spot (I never use fullscreen, except in games).
I already lowered the desktop icon opacity and also sent a feature request to WPE-team to add a possibility to make desktop icons invisible when a window is in focus. Who knows, maybe they'll listen... Holy crap they responded already!
Also the Hardforum grey background is useful for scanning the display surface when you move the window around ;)

Thank you for staying connected. I did check and we don't have stock for this TV at the moment. So we have sent a request to the manufacturer. It will be shipped from the manufacturer directly so there is delay. As per the current status, it will be delivered by 07/29/2020. However, we are trying our best to deliver it at the earliest. You will be notified the shipping details once it is picked up by a carrier.
Fuck Best Buy.

Funny how all that talk about OLED burn-in makes you change your habits...
I find myself occasionally moving windows slightly to another spot (I never use fullscreen, except in games).
I already lowered the desktop icon opacity and also sent a feature request to WPE-team to add a possibility to make desktop icons invisible when a window is in focus. Who knows, maybe they'll listen... Holy crap they responded already!
Also the Hardforum grey background is useful for scanning the display surface when you move the window around ;)

I've been using a streamdeck for quite awhile now, combined with displayfusion for window management.

You can set .exe's to a launch icon function in streamdeck and assign it an icon. Whenever you press that app's streamdeck icon it will open that app, and what is great is that it will also focus that app and bring it forward if it is already open. Focusing the app then allows me to use other window managment buttons on it if I want to. If you want to set up the app similarly using a function in displayfusion, it will allow you to use some neat script tricks like "if already open and minimized -> restore" , or "if already open and restored, minimize) and a bunch of other things if you wanted to piece together things from displayfusion's library of pre-made scripts. The default streamdeck app button saves hotkey use since it doesn't use a keyboard hotkey at all though and is a lot easier since you just point to the exe when you set up the button.

I don't use icons on my desktop. You can cut and paste all of those icons into one folder "Desktop Icons" or whatever you want to call it. Keep that folder on a different monitor or better yet, put it in your documents folder or something. I also make that folder a favorite in my 3rd party file manager (you can probably favorite it / pin it in window's default file manager just as easily). You can keep a lot of app/launch icons on the taskbar already. I keep the taskbar transparent using Translucent Taskbar app, then I use Taskbar Hider to set the taskbar to a hotkey so I can lock it away and show it with that hotkey toggle rather than relying on mouse overs.

You can also type this in the windows file manager address bar to get to your taskbar icons and favorite that folder if you instead wanted to launch them from there: " shell:User Pinned\Taskbar "

Links to Translucent Taskbar and Taskbar Hider are within the quoted messages below:

you can also use transparent taskbar and set the taskbar to auto hide. I also use "Taskbar hider" which lets me set the show/hide as a toggle hotkey instead of relying on mouseovers.
With the latest OLED technology, I think that as long as you're using the set in a varied manner and taking some basic precautions, you should never have any issues with burn-in unless you have some sort of lemon.
  • hide taskbar (use buttery taskbar to COMPLETELY remove it (ie, also get rid of that last pixel or two))
  • hide desktop icons
  • black desktop background (or moving/alternating desktop background)
  • blank(black) screensaver that activates after a short period of time
  • set OLED light to sometihng reasonable (40-60) when not watching HDR content or gaming
  • perhaps use dark mode apps / modes to reduce the amount of pure white / light grey blasting the OLED
It sounds like a lot, but I've had the display one day and just started putting these things into practice and it already feels "natural"..

These also work. I use them on my VA LCDs even because I prefer it that way:

after I installed theTransluscent Taskbar app (TranslucentTB) awhile ago and set my taskbar to hide, being 100% see-through it doesn't leave the taskbar sliver anymore. As long as the icons are hidden there is nothing static in the taskbar area at all.

TransluscentTB - Microsoft store

You can also install Taskbar Hider to always hide the taskbar and show/hide toggle it with a custom hotkey.

http://www.itsamples.com/taskbar-hider.html

A few things I found out with taskbar hider after experimenting with it:

-You have to close and restart the app in the system tray if you change the hotkey for the new hotkey to work
-If you have windows set to hide the taskbar automatically ("hide taskbar in desktop mode"), the taskbar hider app only works as a "lock" on the taskbar state. E.g. hiding the taskbar even on mouseovers until you hit the hotkey to unlock it again.
-If you have windows "hide taskbar in desktop mode" turned off, the taskbar hider app's hotkey acts as a toggle, showing or hiding the taskbar. It stays locked in either position until the hotkey is hit again.
-unlike when your taskbar is hidden normally, hitting the windows key to bring up the windows menu does not "wake up" and show the taskbar anymore. Thats a good thing to me.
-you can still just alt+tab / shit+alt+tab(reverse), ctrl-alt-tab (leaves open apps selection window open even after keys are released), and win+tab opens tiles of all open apps on all monitors to choose from, so unless you are launching an app from the taskbar or using right click on it's icon you could just keep the taskbar hidden more often.
-there is about a 1 to 2 second delay on bringing the taskbar up but I haven't found that bothersome. It hides pretty instantaneously.
-It can show/hide the windows taskbar on all monitors in the array if you run it in admin mode
- It obviously doesn't work with the displayfusion pro taskbars on other monitors but displayfusion has it's own hotkeys and functions if you need that.

I set my taskbar hider app's hotkey to ctrl + shit + Z since I'm unlikely to use mod keys with z in a game much, and Z is on the bottom of the keyboard sort of so it seems to fit there. I could set it to a streamdeck key but that wouldn't be as quick.

Since I have two 43" 4k VA monitors right now I usually leave a lot of windows tiled so not much is hidden. If I need something I'll use the shortcut keys listed in the above quotes to show all of the windows tiles or I'll just hit that app's streamdeck button. Windows Key + B focuses the system tray pull up arrow on the primary monitor incidentally, after which you can hit enter to make it pop up and use arrow keys, menu key, or shift+F10 to navigate it if you don't want to with mouse. So if I wanted to I could easily make a streamdeck button with an icon to show the taskbar and focus the system tray, and on a second press re-hide the taskbar. So if I needed to right-click the running app icon to get a menu or I need to access the system tray I could hit my taskbarhider hotkey to show the taskbar temporarily but I am using displayfusion's taskbars on my side monitors which include the windows system tray so really I will never need to access the system tray via my gaming/media OLED personally.

Hope this gives you some ideas and options. By the way streamdeck has a free phone/tablet app if you want to try it out.

Last edited:
Deckboard is a free solution similar to Streamdeck if you want to use a phone for that type of thing. Has at least an Android app.

So what's you're plan? Gonna stick it out with BB or try and cancel to order some where else. I know BB is a total pain to cancel orders with after the first 30 minutes.
I got a supervisor who finally managed to cancel the original order for me, placed a new one w/ them as they tossed me free overnight shipping. Says delivery 7/9/20 as of this moment, we shall see though. :rolleyes:

I got a supervisor who finally managed to cancel the original order for me, placed a new one w/ them as they tossed me free overnight shipping. Says delivery 7/9/20 as of this moment, we shall see though. :rolleyes:
Nice. Let's hope both our TV's arrive in one piece.

I'll give BFI a run tomorrow. I just haven't played any game yet where I can hold 120fps locked.

I believe you can make custom refresh rates with CRU or Nvidia CP and run BFI. So if you can't hold 120, you could try 90hz or 80hz.

Or that's what I've heard from one other person. We really need some more people to test this out

LG software updates. For some reason the 48" isn't included in the model list. Hopefully that's a mistake.

hey cool guy, I live on the southern coast of alabama, and i got mine in 2 days too..best buy is getting these things like they stole them.

I did find it kind of weird that bestbuy/fedex didn’t require a signature on a 1,600 purchase..seems like I’ve had to sign for almost everything like $400+. but they just sat it at my door, a giant blue box with the giant font reading LG CX OLED, just sitting at my front door step like it was a pizza.

I'm sorry you took offense but calm down.

Top video looks like an artifact due to the way OLED works with the animated grey cloud in the back. Some darker shades of grey are lost when a pixel transitions from off and full black to on.

The second makes it look like an issue with the cable you're using. What type of cable and how long? Remember that G-SYNC does not work on this TV with Pascal cards.

If that's the case then it should've happened with other games too yet the issue is isolated to the Witcher 3, at least so far. I'm not using a Pascal card either. 2080 Ti.

Not enough for what exactly? You'd be hard pressed to hit more than 120fps at 4k unless you are playing overwatch or csgo. And in that case you might as well say 165Hz isn't enough either and get a 240Hz monitor.

I would let him be. Once I read his reply, I knew he didn't fully understand exactly what he was commenting on in terms of what is needed to push 165hz @ 4K. More for us. You have to understand that once someone takes a position against you, you will rarely change their mind. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Like a pizza hahahaha

Dude, where I live, your shit would have been GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

In my games if I drop below 120fps when set at 120hz and BFI i get noticable stutter and not perfect movements. Have not tried to lock 60fps though. Maybe its a difference?

Yeah, you need your refresh rate to be divisible by your frame rate at all times. That means you need to be locked at 120fps or 60fps (or 30/40fps...but I'm gonna say that isn't a real PC gaming option, sorry consoles :( ) with a 120hz refresh rate or the scan of the BFI will be mid frame change and look terrible.

As far as the east coast/west coast theory that was posed earlier, I don't believe the west coast folks are necessarily more likely to get them sooner. I live in VA and got mine pretty early on, in what seemed to be the second major batch that BB got. And that's probably because I ordered after they sold out the first time and went on Backorder status, since I had initially ordered from B&H.

Also, my set got the 03.10.20 update this morning. Has anyone found a changelog that lists the features, improvements, and changes included with each version?

So, what games do you all think look best on this display? Curious to know for people who have gotten theirs and tested some out. I might pick one up while waiting for better gpus since my current games are not visual stunners.

So, what games do you all think look best on this display? Curious to know for people who have gotten theirs and tested some out. I might pick one up while waiting for better gpus since my current games are not visual stunners.

What games? ALL THE GAMES! Old games, new games, you name it. Maybe games with loads of dark scenes in particular like the first 2 Metro games. I replayed 2033 and Last Light Redux and it was almost like a whole new experience playing on an OLED for the first time. Really looking forward to playing Death Stranding, Halo 3 MCC, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Control on this baby.

What games? ALL THE GAMES! Old games, new games, you name it. Maybe games with loads of dark scenes in particular like the first 2 Metro games. I replayed 2033 and Last Light Redux and it was almost like a whole new experience playing on an OLED for the first time. Really looking forward to playing Death Stranding, Halo 3 MCC, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Control on this baby.
This once you ues an oled for gaming it's hard to go back to something else. They really make darker games stand. If you haven't watch interstellar on it.

As someone who plays games that are almost entirely in dark/gothic settings (Full RE/RE Remake franchise, Bloodborne, DS3, etc.) , this is music to the ears.

Nobody mentions the awful gamma shift that OLEDs have. Also, black color is the only difference in colors vs the other panel types ...

I've played Destiny 2, Call of Duty (2019), Red Dead Redemption 2, Assassins' Creed Odyssey, and Far Cry New Dawn since Monday.

and I have to say it was an absolute sleeper but Assassins Creed Odyssey and it wasn't even close. I don't know if it was the bright white pallet of the many buildings in Greece with the contrast of the surrounding bright baby blue sea but it looked incredible, and I even felt like maybe all that high brightness and contract made everything including the characters, especially their clothes look like higher resolution because you could see so many little details like the stitching on their shirt that other games kind of lose when it goes the gritty dimly lit route.

Red Dead did have a sunset that I happened to ride up on as I was coming up over a hill, that was so pretty that I literally said out loud to my video game horse in my arthur morgan voice "would you look that girl, they say only god can draw like that!"

Last edited:

Pretty much this. To these eyes, every game looks better on an OLED and yes, a lot of that is due to the true blacks and contrast but also due to the benefits of how OLEDs handle motion that were discussed previously.

I play a lot of dark/horror games and the difference there is just staggering. Arkham Knight looks fantastic on an OLED. Amnesia: The Dark Descent. SOMA. Alien: Isolation. DUSK. DOOM 3/2016/Eternal (the latter, especially, with HDR). Bioshock. No Man's Sky. The list is endless. Any dark or night scene is going to knock your socks off because you're no longer wading through a sea of gray.

I was blown away going from a quantum dot LCD to my first OLED, and it just happened again with the 48CX. I'm not even able to take advantage of G-Sync until I get a new card, and I haven't even tried the BFI so I'm not even experiencing the full potential of this thing. The sheer image quality and smoothness of 60-120Hz 4K gaming is just incredible. Fortunately for me I tend to run behind on new releases, so by playing "catchup" I haven't run into any issues with a game not running smoothly. I'm obviously not hitting 120Hz in every game with my 1080Ti but there is a significant, marked, and noticeable improvement in games that can hit more than 60, which is the majority of what I'm playing right now. Two examples are DUSK and DOOM Eternal, the latter of which although newer, was built on an engine that's just butter on most decent systems. The 3080Ti will add G-Sync and give me the ability to push higher frames in games like RDR2 that are more taxing. The best thing is just not being capped at 60 anymore for the times when my card can push more than that. I need to enable the Steam FPS counter so that I can get a better idea of where I'm at, but everything that I've played so far has been a faster and more enjoyable experience.

It pains me to say it, but unless RDR2 gets DLSS patched in, running it at 4k much above 60FPS with max/near max settings isn't going to happen even on a 3080ti :( It drops into the 40's at 1440p on a 2080ti...

Nobody mentions the awful gamma shift that OLEDs have. Also, black color is the only difference in colors vs the other panel types ...
What gamma shift? The only issues for OLED I know of, are Auto Dimming, Burn in, and black to gray smearing/ artifacts.

Would you be thinking QLED? That's still VA with gamma shift, though Sony and Samsung have new polarizers that help that quite a bit on some models.

It pains me to say it, but unless RDR2 gets DLSS patched in, running it at 4k much above 60FPS with max/near max settings isn't going to happen even on a 3080ti :( It drops into the 40's at 1440p on a 2080ti...

Yeah, I fired it up on the B7 and could tell that it was clearly the most demanding game I’d played at 4K. But I recall seeing some tweak guides posted that I hadn’t dug into yet that supposedly help a lot in terms of improving performance. Have you tried any of those?

What gamma shift? The only issues for OLED I know of, are Auto Dimming, Burn in, and black to gray smearing/ artifacts.
It also has very noticeable gamma (or color) shift. Nvidia Control Panel turns from reddish to bluish tint as you move it around the screen, for example. :) Reddish in the center (since it's calibrated to 6500k with calibrator placed in the center) and it turns bluish as you move it away from the center towards the sides.

It also has very noticeable gamma (or color) shift. Nvidia Control Panel turns from reddish to bluish tint as you move it around the screen, for example. :) Reddish in the center (since it's calibrated to 6500k with calibrator placed in the center) and it turns bluish as you move it away from the center towards the sides.
Do you have any examples of this. It does not make sense for it to occur on a pixel perfect display such as OLED. There is no backlight or polarizer to effect uniformity. No reviews have mentioned it. If you are experiencing this, I would have to say it's not the panel causing it. Unless you are refering to white balance uniformity, which can be a problem on OLED, but is a problem on most dsiplay tech. White balace is effected by RGB gamma, but is not a result of gamma alone.

You're running in 120hz 4:2:0 color aren't you, lol. I can notice this a bit with my eyes, but it's a viewing angle thing from me sitting quite close to the screen. If I move my head to look at the outside of the screen dead on it's back to the same tint.

Yeah I'm sticking with 3840x2160 Full RGB 8Bit at 60hz until we get HDMI 2.1 GPU's. 4:2:0 looks bad compared to full RGB.

Yea, I haven't noticed any color shift on my CX 55. It doesn't matter what angle you look at it from, the colors are beautiful.

LOL....Thanks alot. :mad: I hadn't ever noticed that color shift but I bet I'll see it every day, now! :D:D:D

My CX48 got delivered today. The thing is huge and the stand is garbage....I really need a good articulating wall mount..

I just got mine. Sold my C9 months ago and completely forgot how clean/fast pixel response is even at 60hz on these. 120hz is super crisp in motion.

Gonna mess with BFI now.

EDIT: I can't remember what black level is suppose to be set at, high/low and in the NVCP full or limited?

EDIT2: NVM pretty obvious which to choose.

Last edited:
Just tried BFI now and WOW, I haven't seen a really really good motion blur reduction technology since the Eizo FG2421. Every other crap LCD monitor with backlight strobing that I've tried just ended up having nasty strobe crosstalk (*cough* Asus VG27BQ *cough*). Since I was already running low brightness to begin with, I also took zero brightness hit as well. Man I love this thing even more now. Time to get rid of the 240Hz Omen X27. 120Hz OLED BFI >>> 240Hz sample and hold TN. Period.

EDIT: Of couse I could say how good the BFI is, but here it is in action against the FG2421. The alien and street map lose detail due to 4:2:0 chroma but the motion clarity is cleannnn.

Last edited:
I just got mine. Sold my C9 months ago and completely forgot how clean/fast pixel response is even at 60hz on these. 120hz is super crisp in motion.

Gonna mess with BFI now.

EDIT: I can't remember what black level is suppose to be set at, high/low and in the NVCP full or limited?

EDIT2: NVM pretty obvious which to choose.

Please share your setting!...man the interface is very confusing.

Yeah BFI at high is amazing but unusable to me due to the flicker. I can barely tell low apart from medium but even medium is pretty subtle.

Also I am gonna sacrifice Gsync for 120hz once that adapter arrives because 60hz on the desktop after a almost a year of 120hz with PG27UQ is absolutely miserable.

I just tested this and it works! I enabled GPU scaling (No scaling) in de Nvidia control panel and set 1920x1080 resolution with 120Hz. I indeed do get a small window in de middle. The tv still reports 3840x2160 and 120Hz as the input resolution.

Ohh perfect! Thank you that's really nice! Now im really considering this adapter :D

Back