LG 48CX

Pre-ordered thru BB, says between July 2 -9, but I doubt it. We'll see.

I keep going back and forth on pre-ordering. On one hand I will not really get best use out of it till 3090 hits in Sep (I have 1080 Ti) at which point I may actually save some money if the price drops (as it usually does). But with COVID, we may run into supply issues and this thing may be hard to get in fall?

I keep going back and forth on pre-ordering. On one hand I will not really get best use out of it till 3090 hits in Sep (I have 1080 Ti) at which point I may actually save some money if the price drops (as it usually does). But with COVID, we may run into supply issues and this thing may be hard to get in fall?
I am in the same boat but I have a regular 1080. It is a 10 minute drive to pick this thing up and I am close to just saying fuck it and buying now. The 3090 might also have stock issues considering that the 2080 Ti did. I guess my only issue is whether I want to wait and get the Best Buy 2 year burn in protection for $190.

Ugh July eh? If I have to wait that long I'll just hope that Amazon gets it in stock around the same timeframe and order from there since I get 5% back.

I am in the same boat but I have a regular 1080. It is a 10 minute drive to pick this thing up and I am close to just saying fuck it and buying now. The 3090 might also have stock issues considering that the 2080 Ti did. I guess my only issue is whether I want to wait and get the Best Buy 2 year burn in protection for $190.

So I finally decided to buy it from BB, but now its sold out? Wow that was quick......

It was only listed as in stock at NFM, not BB

Right but I was able to pre-order earlier, placed it in cart, went to check out but then decided not to pre-order. Now I changed my mind and I cant even add it to the cart anymore saying its "sold out".

Last edited:
Right but I was able to pre-order earlier, placed it in cart, went to check out but then decided not to pre-order. Now I changed my mind and I cant even add it to the cart anymore saying its "sold out".

I sure hope monitor manufacturers are taking notice.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I sure hope monitor manufacturers are taking notice.
Unfortunately monitor manufacturers don't really manufacture anything, they just slap a panel in a plastic shell. They don't make panels, and no one is making OLED panels between laptop and TV screen size, with the vast majority being smartphone sized.

I placed an order earlier at Best Buy now its sold out. It was also cheaper it was listed at $1499 isn't the retail price $1599?

I'm glad I'm waiting to see what happens. In my view no sense pre ordering, buying, etc., a 48CX until the new GPUs come out. Still gaming on a 1080Ti. COVID probably has what limited supply they had put on hold. Could be a long Summer.

Unfortunately monitor manufacturers don't really manufacture anything, they just slap a panel in a plastic shell. They don't make panels, and no one is making OLED panels between laptop and TV screen size, with the vast majority being smartphone sized.

That's not true at all. While the panels themselves are manufactured by a small number of companies, the integrators (e.g. brands like ASUS or Acer) still design the hardware running the display. LG right now is the only manufacturer making larger OLED panels which they then combine with their own tech for their TV range as well as sell to Sony and Panasonic so they can make their OLED models. The hardware and software running these panels results in differences in their performance and features.

As for monitor manufacturers taking notice, most of them are tied by what panels LG, AUO, Samsung etc are making. Apple is probably one of the few brands actually asking LG to make them 6K screens but I don't know how that relationship works for ASUS, Acer or Dell for example. It's so far pretty clear that display manufacturers are out of touch with what people would like to buy for larger desktop displays and seem to have little interest in improving what they sell in the 40-43" area.

I'm glad I'm waiting to see what happens. In my view no sense pre ordering, buying, etc., a 48CX until the new GPUs come out. Still gaming on a 1080Ti. COVID probably has what limited supply they had put on hold. Could be a long Summer.

You could still enjoy it as a TV or for console gaming in the meantime. Plus who knows what availability/stock of the 3080/3090 will be. Unless you're waiting for potential holiday deals.

I'm super tempted to get it asap just because I want to game on an oled. I also use my computer tv/display now for netflix as the living room is usually occupied by other people in the household with taste that is nowhere near a fraction as pristine as my own. Right now, I'm using my 43" sony x800d for everything, and the colors are not as vibrant, the black levels are not great, there is no local dimming to even try to get it better. That is a feature for smaller tvs like this though. So I'd still see a massive quality improvement for media and games right now, even before I was able to drive the display at 120Hz.

That's not true at all. While the panels themselves are manufactured by a small number of companies, the integrators (e.g. brands like ASUS or Acer) still design the hardware running the display. LG right now is the only manufacturer making larger OLED panels which they then combine with their own tech for their TV range as well as sell to Sony and Panasonic so they can make their OLED models. The hardware and software running these panels results in differences in their performance and features.

As for monitor manufacturers taking notice, most of them are tied by what panels LG, AUO, Samsung etc are making. Apple is probably one of the few brands actually asking LG to make them 6K screens but I don't know how that relationship works for ASUS, Acer or Dell for example. It's so far pretty clear that display manufacturers are out of touch with what people would like to buy for larger desktop displays and seem to have little interest in improving what they sell in the 40-43" area.

That's exactly my point. What panel would Acer/Asus/etc put in a >27-32" and <48-55" monitor that's better?

I'm still waiting on november deals on 48" CX or a 55" C9 or E9.

I'm also still concerned about the near black issues reported when VRR is active since I'd be using it mostly for gaming.. maybe 60/40 or 75/25 gaming/media. It is also concerning in regard to ps5 vrr not just pc vrr. Hopefully they will come up with some kind of workaround or fix if the reported issues are true.

I posted what is below in the avsforum thread
2020 LG CX–GX dedicated GAMING thread, consoles and PC
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've read in the LG OLED threads that:

- There was flashing on near blacks
- LG made a near black flashing fix by using a type of dithering on near blacks to mask it (even if the rest of the screen wasn't dithered or in the same way)
- The near black fix was resulting in noticeably bad resolution/detail loss in areas on screen in games so LG adopted a black flattening method for near blacks in game input/mode instead.
- People found that after VRR was made available, activating VRR would cause the black flattening "near-black fix" to be bypassed.

The near black fix via black flattening being bypassed when VRR is active reportedly:

- has been a problem since VRR was first made available on the C9 the end of 2019 and still exists in both the C9 and the CX
- causes the black areas around bright or white objects to have grey-blacks and/or strange looking gradients/localized banding
- can't be fixed in a valid way by tweaking gamma since the grey-blacks are localized around bright objects (and considering the odd gradient halos)
- could be eliminating some of the main benefits of an oled.,, avoiding FALD halos by having per pixel ultra black depths and side by side contrast

Please let me know if this information is all accurate and if you have any information about this issue.

This should be easy to test by enabling and disabling VRR on a game with dark or black backgrounds/game areas and bright objects, especially a HDR game.

Remember, if you get tired of waiting for the 48CX, the 55CX is available and plentiful (and only $200-300 more expensive).

Remember, if you get tired of waiting for the 48CX, the 55CX is available and plentiful (and only $200-300 more expensive).
Yeah the Passport discount price is taunting me every time I look at it...but based on the discount I'm anticipating the 48" being around $1300 and it's really the size I want anyway...

1592519655479.png

Best Buy now shows $1599 lucky to those that were able to order it at the $1,499 price!

This is a bummer. I was so ready to snag one from BB for $1,499. Now they are gouging too. Maybe when they get stock the price will come back down.

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding! OLED!

Between cost of development and low sales (it would be an enthusiast product), they would never turn a profit on it. LG has already gotten the price of OLED TVs to a semi-affordable level. What makes you think any other manufacturer can compete?

Between cost of development and low sales (it would be an enthusiast product), they would never turn a profit on it. LG has already gotten the price of OLED TVs to a semi-affordable level. What makes you think any other manufacturer can compete?
A $600 6" phone has 4k and OLED. A $1500 48" TV has 4k and OLED. A 27" or 32" between those price ranges will sell like crazy.

A $600 6" phone has 4k and OLED. A $1500 48" TV has 4k and OLED. A 27" or 32" between those price ranges will sell like crazy.

The way they make 6" OLEDs and 55" OLEDs is vastly different. Companies have tried and are trying to make monitors, but it isn't easy. It's the same problem right now with Micro LED, but at an even more extreme level. They have 1" screens and 100" screens, but nothing in-between.

The number of 6" phone OLEDs sold and the potential market for a 27-32" OLED monitor are probably at least two orders of magnitude different, probably a whole lot more. It would be a niche of a niche. The only hope would be if they start making 8k 65" TV's and cut those panels the way they're making the 48".

Speaking realistically, I don't think it would. The market appeal of a smartphone is far broader than an enthusiast PC monitor. Most PC monitors are between $100-300. That seems to be the mass market sweet spot. It would be virtually impossible to get an OLED monitor at 27-32" to this price point.

Think of it this way; a smartphone does a lot of different things for a lot of different people. A 4k Smart TV does a lot of different things for a lot of different people. Thus, the price can be justified on both. But a PC monitor does one specific thing: displays the output of your PC. This is why people can justify a $1000 smartphone or a $1500-2000 4K smart TV. But a $1000+ OLED PC monitor? That's a tough sell considering its very limited scope of use.

And trust me when I say I would happily purchase a $1000 OLED PC monitor if it could do 4k, 120hz, and gsync. But, I am a PC enthusiast.

Last edited:
- causes the black areas around bright or white objects to have grey-blacks and/or strange looking gradients/localized banding
- can't be fixed in a valid way by tweaking gamma since the grey-blacks are localized around bright objects (and considering the odd gradient halos)
- could be eliminating some of the main benefits of an oled.,, avoiding FALD halos by having per pixel ultra black depths and side by side contrast

Never saw anything like this on my C9 when playing with the PC. There are NO halos or any kind of blooming, gray blacks, gradients around bright highlights and black background. If i have some time, i will make some comparison-screenshots.

Never saw anything like this on my C9 when playing with the PC. There are NO halos or any kind of blooming, gray blacks, gradients around bright highlights and black background. If i have some time, i will make some comparison-screenshots.
I see it in the mystify screensaver (standard windows color swirls on black) with game mode picture mode, for white on black only - it's pretty faint, still a lot better than any fald. Can't see it in standard picture mode (edit: can see it in standard too, when it's dark). I have never seen it in actual realistic content even when using game mode.

Last edited:
The main offenders for black issues on VAs and from reports of the VRR on oled issue are games like Ori and the Blind forest, binding of Issac, etc.. Any games with very deep black backgrounds and/or black outlines combined with very bright characters and objects are the stress test. Hard line contrast.

To re-iterate --- the reports are that it only happens with VRR mode being active so you'd have to be sure VRR is being utilized by whatever you are watching or playing. Before the VRR firmware came out it wouldn't have been an issue, and probably for any content that isn't using VRR now.

I appreciate any feedback about the issue because it is concerning.

I think 2020 is not a good year to buy TV's because QD-OLED TV's from Samsung in 2021 of next year might be the next best thing.

OLED48CXPUB is in stock right now at BB for $1599. Although I'm seeing a shipping estimate for Jul 13.

Yep. I see the same on my zipcode with a later date in July for store pickup option.

Does anyone have any experience with Best Buys' geek squad protection? Not sure if worth it, but tempted for burn-in protection.

I think 2020 is not a good year to buy TV's because QD-OLED TV's from Samsung in 2021 of next year might be the next best thing.
Those are unlikely to show up in anything but large sizes and reports from showings behind closed doors at this year’s CES were not positive.

Central Ohio

Hmmm...Trigger finger is itching. I'm still worried about this VRR/black level stuff though. Will wait for the early adopters to report more. I'm not sure how long LG takes with firmware updates, if they get done at all.

Reactions: elvn
like this
Back