LG 48CX

I took my CX back at the last moment. I mean, after reading this thread, and reading nothing but concern and disappointment, it scared me enough to just rock out my Samsung NU8000 for another year or two.

This LCD looks great.

I actually have a Samsung 55" NU8000 as well (the TV that got me into this crazy TV buying spree). While I agree that the NU8000 looks great for a non-Quantum Dot Samsung TV, it doesn't hold a candle to the CX. The CX is brighter, faster, has gsync, has perfect blacks, has significantly better HDR (edge-lit zones vs over 33 million individually lit subpixels), etc.

To each their own, but as someone who owns both, let me tell you that the CX is light years ahead of the NU8000 in every respect.

Relatively speaking, it's downright cheap. Perhaps Alienware will do a release at some point and extract the full gaming potential of the panel!

[and hopefully will ship a tub of lube to ease the burn from their likely MSRP...]

People don't seem to understand this. The Samsung Q90T 55" is only $100 less than the CX on Best Buy's website... and that TV has like 50 local dimming zones, no gsync, contrast doesn't even come close to OLED/CX, and then you have the 55" Alienware OLED gaming monitor which is a cool 3k and has LESS features... oh, and the Alienware monitor uses the same LG OLED panel as the C9.

The CX in its current form is a damn good value for the performance it offers.

Last edited:
The sharpness setting on the cx actually seems to be a pretty competent post-processing AA. I have been messing around with it a lot and it seems a setting between 15-25 is good, which incidentally is the range the presets from LG have, so they did their homework on that.

Anyone who has tried chasing 120 fps in 4k knows that every little bit helps, so give it a try, disable AA ingame, try sharpness 15-25.
The input lag i tested earlier was with 25 sharpness, so most likely it doesn't add any significant amount (post processing AA is very cheap + we turn off all other processing for gaming, so it has a lot of "spare" computing resources). I actually think ... it's pretty nice. Mainly tested in wow. Definitely better than FXAA, FXAA high, msaa 4x.. but probably worse than msaa x8, then again msaa x8 costs a lot of fps. Hard to compare objectively. I'm going to use it as AA for now and see how I like it over time, really helps keep the 117fps target.

Going to retest input lag sometime soon with sharpness on/off and see, and game mode as well in case it is even lower.

If anyone thinks I've gone insane, even a little chip in a hdmi cable can perform ppaa/similar with good results and virtually no extra input lag; for example.

For anyone who actually owns a CX, can you confirm if it can run 1080p@120hz 4:4:4? RTings.com states that it can't, yet I've read posts claiming it worked on the C9. Also if it can run 1080p@120hz 4:4:4, can G-Sync + HDR be enabled together at that res? And my final question, does enabling integer scaling in the nvidia control panel improve the clarity @ 1080p?

I also have been struggling to decide between the PG27UQ and the CX. Personally I've never liked IPS screens due to their 'IPS Glow' and their horrendous black levels. I've wanted an OLED display since ~2010, but with the only OLED monitors being ~$3k-$4k, and knowing that most TV's display PC text like crap is causing me to be incapable of deciding. I also generally play a lot of dark games and usually in a dark room.

For anyone who actually owns a CX, can you confirm if it can run 1080p@120hz 4:4:4? RTings.com states that it can't, yet I've read posts claiming it worked on the C9. Also if it can run 1080p@120hz 4:4:4, can G-Sync + HDR be enabled together at that res? And my final question, does enabling integer scaling in the nvidia control panel improve the clarity @ 1080p?

I also have been struggling to decide between the PG27UQ and the CX. Personally I've never liked IPS screens due to their 'IPS Glow' and their horrendous black levels. I've wanted an OLED display since ~2010, but with the only OLED monitors being ~$3k-$4k, and knowing that most TV's display PC text like crap is causing me to be incapable of deciding. I also generally play a lot of dark games and usually in a dark room.

Yes, the CX can do 1080P@120hz 4:4:4 + GSYNC + HDR. No problem. In fact it can do the same @ 1440P as well.

Yes, the CX can do 1080P@120hz 4:4:4 + GSYNC + HDR. No problem. In fact it can do the same @ 1440P as well.

Thanks for the reply, that's awesome to hear.

Edit: I found a 4 day old post on reddit claiming that the CX currently has a bug where 1080p won't run @ 4:4:4 but 1200p or 1440p will. Link If that's true I'd imagine it'll be fixed with a firmware update.

Last edited:
Did you know that CX doesn't support the hardware calibration and autocal software is not supported? Unlike the C9 and C8 that supported the hardware calibration?

I have not been able to make HDR work in 120Hz 4k 4:2:0. Not in desktop, not inside destiny2.
It looks like 8-bit with dithering and subsampling is not supported. On my Predator X27, I can enable HDR with dithering on 8-bit RGB / YCbCr444, but not on 8-bit YCbCr422. However HDR works on 10-bit YCbCr422 as expected. It seems logical that dithering cannot be applied without access to every pixel via full color sampling.

The sharpness setting on the cx actually seems to be a pretty competent post-processing AA. I have been messing around with it a lot and it seems a setting between 15-25 is good, which incidentally is the range the presets from LG have, so they did their homework on that.

Anyone who has tried chasing 120 fps in 4k knows that every little bit helps, so give it a try, disable AA ingame, try sharpness 15-25.
The input lag i tested earlier was with 25 sharpness, so most likely it doesn't add any significant amount (post processing AA is very cheap + we turn off all other processing for gaming, so it has a lot of "spare" computing resources). I actually think ... it's pretty nice. Mainly tested in wow. Definitely better than FXAA, FXAA high, msaa 4x.. but probably worse than msaa x8, then again msaa x8 costs a lot of fps. Hard to compare objectively. I'm going to use it as AA for now and see how I like it over time, really helps keep the 117fps target.

Going to retest input lag sometime soon with sharpness on/off and see, and game mode as well in case it is even lower.

If anyone thinks I've gone insane, even a little chip in a hdmi cable can perform ppaa/similar with good results and virtually no extra input lag; for example.

NVIDIA's Image Sharpening under 3D settings in the control panel works the best. It renders at a lower resolution and upscales, but is better than generic GPU or Display upscaling in the resolution settings. First preference should be given to in-game render resolution settings as the HUD will still be sharp at native resolution.

NVIDIA's Image Sharpening under 3D settings in the control panel works the best. It renders at a lower resolution and upscales, but is better than generic GPU or Display upscaling in the resolution settings. First preference should be given to in-game render resolution settings as the HUD will still be sharp at native resolution.
From what I can tell that does nothing at all or very little (4k native, 4k resolution). I think it only works when scaling.
I have tried it a bit in 1440p but I can't make 1440p scaled look as good as 4k 4:2:0. Happy to try if you know some perfect settings.

From what I can tell that does nothing at all or very little (4k native, 4k resolution). I think it only works when scaling.
I have tried it a bit in 1440p but I can't make 1440p scaled look as good as 4k 4:2:0. Happy to try if you know some perfect settings.

It's not magic but it does work at any resolution. Try something in between like say 80% of 4K and then apply image sharpening, IMO it can be hard to distinguish from native resolution. If you enable the "GPU scaling" checkbox in the global image sharpening settings, NVCP will create custom resolutions for you where it will apply your designated image sharpening if you use them.

Yes, NVCP UI is a confusing piece of crap and the whole app needs an overhaul or replacement.

This is probably a basic OLED question but in regards to the CX 48" how does it look in a bright room? My new office (we just moved) is pretty bright through natural sunlight(no curtains/blinds yet). I'm wondering if that's good or bad for OLED TVs? Specifically the CX. Do I need to darken the room or anything?

This is probably a basic OLED question but in regards to the CX 48" how does it look in a bright room? My new office (we just moved) is pretty bright through natural sunlight(no curtains/blinds yet). I'm wondering if that's good or bad for OLED TVs? Specifically the CX. Do I need to darken the room or anything?

While OLEDs don't like bright sunlight shining on them directly, I have mine next to a very big window and it has not been an issue. I haven't bothered adjusting settings for bright and dark viewing and there would be plenty of room to go for at least SDR content.

I don't think HDR content would be watchable in a brightly lit room without curtains, frankly. My C9 is in a room with floor to ceiling windows on all exterior walls, and with the(rather poorly light blocking, mind you) vertical blinds it's usable, but not great. Of course, HDR is designed to be watched in darkness so that's no surprise.

For SDR, it's totally fine if you turn the brightness up.

It's not magic but it does work at any resolution. Try something in between like say 80% of 4K and then apply image sharpening, IMO it can be hard to distinguish from native resolution. If you enable the "GPU scaling" checkbox in the global image sharpening settings, NVCP will create custom resolutions for you where it will apply your designated image sharpening if you use them.

Yes, NVCP UI is a confusing piece of crap and the whole app needs an overhaul or replacement.
I have read articles where they claim the nvidia sharpness works quite well for gpu-scaled resolutions, but the lg cx we currently run 1440 hardware scaled or native 4k 4:2:0, so I dont think theres a scenario to use it before we get hdmi 2.1?

I tried some different settings (0.5-0.75-1.0) in 1440p and 4k with it, but I can't find a setting that is even remotely as good as the tv:s sharpness at 15-25 (that again, really seems to act like a PPAA at native resolution). Enabling both at the same time looks really bad.

Last edited:
I have read articles where they claim the nvidia sharpness works quite well for gpu-scaled resolutions, but the lg cx we currently run 1440 hardware scaled or native 4k 4:2:0, so I dont think theres a scenario to use it before we get hdmi 2.1?

I tried some different settings (0.5-0.75-1.0) in 1440p and 4k with it, but I can't find a setting that is even remotely as good as the tv:s sharpness at 15-25 (that again, really seems to act like a PPAA at native resolution). Enabling both at the same time looks really bad.

It can be useful for games with TAA like Red Dead Redemption 2. That game tends to look a bit fuzzy unless you apply some image sharpening. I think they have patched the game to give you more range on the built-in TAA sharpening slider so that works too.

Just a heads up that red dead redemption 2 is supported by nvidia freestyle which has a built in sharpness tool/slider which can be used to sharpen or unsharpen, along with a lot of other settings sliders. It's like an ez mode re-shade, made with the help of the original re-shade author.

Just a heads up that red dead redemption 2 is supported by nvidia freestyle which has a built in sharpness tool/slider which can be used to sharpen or unsharpen, along with a lot of other settings sliders. It's like an ez mode re-shade, made with the help of the original re-shade author.

It is also slightly more performance intensive than image sharpening from NVCP. The Freestyle version is at best something you should use to get your desired settings, then replicate those in NVCP image sharpening and turn off Freestyle sharpen for max framerates. The NVCP image sharpening can also apply at a different spot in the pipeline so it is better if you are upscaling from a lower resolution.

Bright rooms aren't specifically bad for OLEDs, they're bad for all TVs. In a bright room there's light shining onto your TV screen changing the image you see by making different part of the screens brighter, reflections on the screen, etc.
It's harder to tell how much better one TV is compared to another when that's happening. OLEDs are better TVs so their advantage diminishes in bright rooms because you can't as easily tell how much better they are.

Some people argue that if a TV can get brighter (which very high end LCDs can do better than OLEDs) that the brightness can overcome the noise from the bright room better. I agree it can help a bit, but in reality contrast does more for that than brightness which OLEDs are vastly superior in. And when you simply raise the overall brightness of the image you lose a lot of detail.

If you're getting a TV for a room that's always bright I wouldn't even consider a high end TV, at least not for the image quality.

Last edited:

You must run the TV at native resolution and ideally full colour sampling (4K 60 Hz RGB) for image sharpening to work properly. You cannot run the TV at 1440p, or it will render at an even lower resolution and result in double upscaling. I think it always uses the native resolution from the EDID.

If GPU Scaling is unchecked then it just applies a sharpening filter, which is probably destroyed by the TV upscaling.

Last edited:
It is also slightly more performance intensive than image sharpening from NVCP. The Freestyle version is at best something you should use to get your desired settings, then replicate those in NVCP image sharpening and turn off Freestyle sharpen for max framerates. The NVCP image sharpening can also apply at a different spot in the pipeline so it is better if you are upscaling from a lower resolution.

Yep I should have stated that you could lose 2 - 5 fps depending what filters you have enabled and what game. Freestyle is well worth it on a lot of games imo for the ease of use and the on-the-fly adjustability, and for some of the other available filters not just for the sharpening. I use it on grim dawn, nioh, and dark souls 3 currently to great effect. Grim dawn's frame rate is very high already for me and nioh and dark souls 3 are 60fps solid since they have a 60fps cap.. Witcher3 examples online of freestyle show about 3 - 5 fps drop depending and that is a demanding game graphically.

DLSS 2 provides a new quality lower resolution upscaling and thus a way higher framerate. I wonder how freestyle and dlss 2.0 play together, and if nvidia will provide DLSS 2 tweaking options. With both freestyle and DLSS you are limited to the titles nvidia supports of course.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/testing-nvidias-dlss-20-higher-frame-rates-for-free (march 27, 2020)
"In so many words, DLSS offloads the rendering effort of anti-aliasing to an AI network, and uses the Tensor cores on RTX cards to process that data in tandem with Nvidia's servers. And to clarify in the case of Nvidia's DLSS: DLSS can be both an upscaling and an anti-aliasing technology in one, depending on the resolution you're playing at. (Upscaling is the practice of improving the quality of an image that may be blurrier or rendered in a lower resolution.) This happens through an incredibly complex AI-based neural learning network, known as NGX, that is trained on tens of thousands of still images from a game. The AI uses those learnings to display a cleaner and more efficiently rendered image than what traditional anti-aliasing techniques are capable of."

Last edited:
i would gently like to ask to any LG 48CX owner here, if please can do the following tests:

if i am not wrong, this tv blur reduction model is called "oled motion pro" and has 4 modes: auto, low, medium, high.

-first, i would like to know how much brightness is reduced in the high settings, if its posible to take the measure in cd/m2 would be great or if any owner also have a crt monitor, i would apreciate to know how is the oled brightness level in "high" mode compared to the crt peak brightness (luminance) level, i mean, if it is about the same, higher or lower than the crt.

-would like to know it the 48CX blur reduction mode works with refresh rates from 60hz to 120hz, if its selectable only for each, or for example within a range of those frecuencies: 60hz,70hz,80hz,90hz,100hz,110hz,120hz

-perfom the blur reduction modes in the following motion test link, and please report if the text on the moving map is clearly readable in all the modes, or at least in the "high" mode and report if the text seems double or repeated (moving double images) or just seems normal, as if the image was static
https://www.testufo.com/photo#photo=toronto-map.png&pps=1920&pursuit=0&height=0

many thanks, would really appreciate if anyone can do me that favor.

Another question for LG 48CX owners... are you using a custom mount on a desk - for height, swivel or aspect ratio adjustment? If so, what model are you using?

Did you know that CX doesn't support the hardware calibration and autocal software is not supported? Unlike the C9 and C8 that supported the hardware calibration?

It doesn't mean they can't add it in the future. Rtings seemed to indicate they might add it later?

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/cx-oled

After calibration, the color accuracy is nearly perfect. The white balance dE is nearly zero, so shades of gray are displayed almost perfectly. Any color inaccuracies aren't visible without the aid of a colorimeter.

The C9 has an auto-calibration feature, but the CX doesn't have one yet. We'll update the review if one is made available in a firmware update.

You can see our recommended settings here.

I would suspect that without measuring equipment being able to tell what the brightness difference is might be more difficult at the very brightest end of the scale. Whenever I have looked at QLED vs OLED in stores here the main difference to me has been the lack of any halos on the OLED in HDR demo videos that specifically show high contrast stuff on dark background, like this one. Now these are of course TVs set on store demonstration modes in bright ceiling lighting.

Here at home looking at my Samsung KS8000 vs LG C9, the C9 just has a lot more depth to its image, regardless of HDR vs SDR.
The KS8000 was a beast for its time. I still have my 55inch version in my loft. It was main TV till this week when it got replaced with a hisense 75h8g

My desk will never support that big of a TV for gaming. I just hope smaller size OLEDs start hitting the market. 27-30inch is the max I can fit on my desk with an arm.

It doesn't mean they can't add it in the future. Rtings seemed to indicate they might add it later?

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/cx-oled
Guys the tv still had the auto calibration feature , I have two brand new 65 inch cx and had them both calibrated by a license calibrator chad b. It does it through hardware now so you cant even copy settings anymore as it does most of the work thru the auto calibration

Reactions: elvn
like this
Another question for LG 48CX owners... are you using a custom mount on a desk - for height, swivel or aspect ratio adjustment? If so, what model are you using?

I was thinking about getting a Humanscale M8 or Ergotron HX as an arm for my sit/stand desk, but I'm still up in the air on what I should do as well. The arms should technically support it due to the lower weight of the 48".

The KS8000 was a beast for its time. I still have my 55inch version in my loft. It was main TV till this week when it got replaced with a hisense 75h8g

Yeah it was good for its time and still works fine as my bedroom TV. It has plenty of flaws and the LG OLEDs are so much better on every metric except burn-in and stand.

Hopefully getting my LG CX 48" in about 10 days. I have a Multibrackets HD arm that I was supposed to return but the small company where I bought it from is apparently bankrupt so I think I might be stuck with the monitor arm. So I am going to try to make it work with the LG CX instead as it's well within the weight limit. If I can fix the tilt portion to stay put it should be fine. I have a VESA 100x100 to 300x200 adapter plate ready as well as some HDMI 2.1 cables.

I was thinking about getting a Humanscale M8 or Ergotron HX as an arm for my sit/stand desk, but I'm still up in the air on what I should do as well. The arms should technically support it due to the lower weight of the 48".

The ergotron LX HD should be able to. I have those on my 43" tvs. I still recommend you put it on a separate desk/bench to increase distance. So for some people a pillar style TV stand with a slim back would probably work out just as well. I'm not a fan of wall mounting because I like modularity in case I want to move things or change things, or use it somewhere else later on.

There are a few options from ergotron kasakka and I were talking about a little earlier in this thread same thread:

The HX arm seems smaller they do say they support up to 41 Lbs so would be a more sure bet weight wise. They go for around $265 + tax so are in the same ballpark as the ergotron LX HD ones. I think they are smaller but made a lot stronger to 41 LB probably so that they're capable of having a dual LCD bracket on them to support two smaller lcds from what I've seen in some of the pictures/models of the ergotron HX.

The ergotron LX HD I have are only spec'd to 30 LB but I'm pretty confident that they would be able to hold the LG 48" CX 's 14.9 kg ~ 32.84888 Lbs.without stand once I tighten all the fittings with the allen wrench. Will have to see to be certain of course. Otherwise one of those flat belt post floor stands for my scenario. For a standing desk you'd have to make sure of the max weight and what ease the lifting mechanism has under heavy weight.

48" CX is 32.8 LB.
ergotron LX HD is 17.5 LB.
ergotron HX's shipping weight is around the same ~ 17.6 LB.

So the standing desk would have around 50 LB on it just counting the TV~ monitor and one of the heavy duty arms. That doesn't take into consideration any other peripherals on the desk and your own hands/arms weight resting and pushing peripherals around on it.

The ergotron LX HD on a cintiq 27" art/drawing screen showcased in an install video from lawrencecandraw on youtube:
View attachment 240385

Me installing the arm on one of my 43" 4k VA tvs-as-monitors. It came with some vesa extension "wing" arms that connected from the main arm's vesa holes to make a metal "X" but I had that plasma adapter plate so I used that instead.

View attachment 240386

Example showing the ergotron LX HD which uses a pole style arm for greater height options:
View attachment 240387

Example showing the ergotron HX's shorter arm style since it doesn't use a pole. You would have to make certain of the clearance and if it fit it probably wouldn't be much above the top of desk and wouldn't allow much vertical wiggle room.
View attachment 240388

Some examples of floor TV stands with flat belt style pillars that would keep the monitor height and adjustments separate from a desk. I think these kinds of stand require hands on for loosening and re-tightening of the extension pole when adjusting the height.

View attachment 240389

View attachment 240390

For a standing desk you might be better off just mounting a short 3rd party TV stand with some tilt and swivel capability directly to the desk surface.

View attachment 240391

that one looks good too. Thanks.

View attachment 240392

You can buy a calman kit with sensor and it will auto calibrate through its hardware
Nice to know, but I have made up my mind in favour of the acer predator X38. Godlike display with configurable sRGB preset. Crazy stuff.

Nice to know, but I have made up my mind in favour of the acer predator X38. Godlike display with configurable sRGB preset. Crazy stuff.

Looks very interesting, but for someone like me that wants true HDR this seems inferior to CX in HDR (only 400 nits), it lacks true blacks (IPS vs OLED) and is more expensive (north of 2K). So for my purposes and usage, nothing appears to come close to CX at the moment.

From that video sounds like C9 is a better buy granted at 55" min from what I can see.

Although this guy always seems salty about LG in general and pushes you towards Sony.

Last edited:
The ergotron LX HD should be able to. I have those on my 43" tvs. I still recommend you put it on a separate desk/bench to increase distance. So for some people a pillar style TV stand with a slim back would probably work out just as well. I'm not a fan of wall mounting because I like modularity in case I want to move things or change things, or use it somewhere else later on.

Thanks for the details. Yea, that's why I've been hesitating for a long time on this. Do you think a normal stand that isn't fixed would be too unstable when lowering or raising the desk? Something similar to this.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
From that video sounds like C9 is a better buy granted at 55" min from what I can see.

Although this guy always seems salty about LG in general and pushes you towards Sony.

A quick google shows that guy was slandering the C8 range years earlier, again pushing Sony. On top of that seems to have conspiracy theories and disabling comments on stuff that pointed out where he was wrong...just not worth anyone's time IMO when you can read about any issues on AVSForum, Rtings or HDTVTest tests, with actual test results and comparisons.

Removed the video from the comment so nobody gives this guy more traffic.

Back