LG 48CX

End of year TV models are always at a nice discount. The 55" C9 launched at $2,499, so I would say the 55" CX will be $2,299 this round. IMO that would put the 48" CX launch price around $1,799-$1,999 with $1099 by Christmas.

Will upgrade from 55" C9 just to get BFI. The 48" size also means that I can push my desk a little closer to the wall that my "monitor" will be mounted on.

If you are mounting your 48CX behind your desk, it creates plenty of desk space for a 4K 27" or 32" monitor on a desk arm for spreadsheeting if you're not happy with the text clarity or terrified of burn-in also. And you can simply move it out of the way when you're not using it.

It's actually going to be weird to have most of my desk clear!

If you are mounting your 48CX behind your desk, it creates plenty of desk space for a 4K 27" or 32" monitor on a desk arm for spreadsheeting if you're not happy with the text clarity or terrified of burn-in also. And you can simply move it out of the way when you're not using it.

It's actually going to be weird to have most of my desk clear!

Connected to this, has anyone researched best mounts that can provide most movement (in all directions). This is exactly how I plan to set up my cx once I get it. So I can adjust distance, height and tilt for whatever application I need.

The more I hear about these new LG TVs the more I like, especially the 4K BFI 120Hz capability (without frame interpolation) and the low input lag. These will be great gaming monitors too if you can live with the burn-in risk, it will probably be the best picture quality vs motion smoothness (& clarity) ratio out there. Sure it won't be beating TN panel 240Hz (or the upcoming 360Hz) in motion smoothness but hey it's a OLED though and 4K. :)

48" OLED, 4K, 120Hz, BFI/ULMB(?), industry leading low input lag for TV by the sound of it. Yummy! Just need the goddamn GPUs with HDMI 2.1. LG did well this time around, focusing on what people actually was looking for, I was positively suprised they just put the engineer in there and spoke the words we wanted to hear and not some good looking female that has just been thaught what to reiterate for all the people visiting.

Last edited:
Connected to this, has anyone researched best mounts that can provide most movement (in all directions). This is exactly how I plan to set up my cx once I get it. So I can adjust distance, height and tilt for whatever application I need.

The best I've seen are the super adjustable kind meant for mounting above fireplaces. They cost more than the tv.

The other option is to use one of those mobile tv stands and roll it back and forth.

I can adjust the height of my desk and it's very deep so I think I'll just use the stand it comes with.

It might go on some heavy duty monitor arm if you can find a VESA 300x200 adapter for it. Depends on how much it will weigh. The LG stand is rubbish IMO and takes a fair amount of space in the back with its crappy cable organizer part.

This wall mount is one of the wider range of motion ones I've seen. There are also some heavy duty monitor arms that would work, but as mentioned above you will need a 100 x 100 -> 300 x 200 adapter set or plate of some kind.

The 55C9 is 41.7lbs without the stand, so I expect the 48" to be a bit under 40lbs, perhaps ~35.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
playing horror games is going to be a real treat.

Oh, man. Have you had the chance to see or play a horror title on an OLED? It's unbelievable! I love horror games and playing them on anything else now would ruin the experience. And of course that's not to mention that every other game and movie looks simply incredible also, but horror games and dark movies really play to OLED's strengths.

Just a little reminder of what you can look forward to... I present to you the $1,800 38GL950G:

38GL950G.jpg

Compared to my B7 (yes it's on...black Windows desktop with taskbar hidden - that white dot is my out of focus cursor):

256377_IMG_3544.jpg

I got yelled at for posting my pic in the 38GL950G thread and asking them why pay so much for horrible IPS glow and backlight bleed, so I'll post it here where no one will get triggered. :D

Oh, man. Have you had the chance to see or play a horror title on an OLED? It's unbelievable! I love horror games and playing them on anything else now would ruin the experience. And of course that's not to mention that every other game and movie looks simply incredible also, but horror games and dark movies really play to OLED's strengths.

Just a little reminder of what you can look forward to... I present to you the $1,800 38GL950G:

View attachment 214856

Compared to my B7 (yes it's on...black Windows desktop with taskbar hidden - that white dot is my out of focus cursor):

View attachment 214857

I got yelled at for posting my pic in the 38GL950G thread and asking them why pay so much for horrible IPS glow and backlight bleed, so I'll post it here where no one will get triggered. :D

Lol the fact that people would actually pay that kinda money for an LCD in 2020 after seeing what the CX offers is absolutely hilarious.

This 48" Oled is going to be THE SHIT! I wonder if that BFI works in gaming mode.

Why would anybody buy a shitty LCD monitor after seeing these babies!

It is going to be interesting in respect to those unlucky people who suffer burn-in with these, and the arguments LG throw back at consumers who complain at this not being covered under warranty when these TV's are already being marketed with them waving around big flashing "for gamers" signs... it will be painful to watch them try and say people aren't then using them as intended!

This wall mount is one of the wider range of motion ones I've seen. There are also some heavy duty monitor arms that would work, but as mentioned above you will need a 100 x 100 -> 300 x 200 adapter set or plate of some kind.

The 55C9 is 41.7lbs without the stand, so I expect the 48" to be a bit under 40lbs, perhaps ~35.

Looks like an interesting option, popular. this option also seems popular.
However none of those allow for monitor to go up and down in height.

I am not ashamed to admit that I bought a 25ft HDMI cable just to play RE2 Remake on Steam. Ran it from my PC in my office out to the C7 in my living room, and used my wireless XBox controller. Worth every single penny. Game looks gorgeous on OLED, and that's even with Capcom's botched HDR settings for that game.

View attachment 214856

View attachment 214857

LOL I think that says enough. LCD is dead, long live the new king (outside of e-sport twitch shooter users)..

Next thing I'm waiting for is next generation of lithography based VR headsets. 1000Hz... 4k and more... yes please. Between those an OLED/MicroLED panels we will be well served and LCD smearing, artifacting, blurring and horrible backlight clamping will be a thing of the past.

The more I hear about these new LG TVs the more I like, especially the 4K BFI 120Hz capability (without frame interpolation) and the low input lag. These will be great gaming monitors too if you can live with the burn-in risk, it will probably be the best picture quality vs motion smoothness (& clarity) ratio out there. Sure it won't be beating TN panel 240Hz (or the upcoming 360Hz) in motion smoothness but hey it's a OLED though and 4K. :)

48" OLED, 4K, 120Hz, BFI/ULMB(?), industry leading low input lag for TV by the sound of it. Yummy! Just need the goddamn GPUs with HDMI 2.1. LG did well this time around, focusing on what people actually was looking for, I was positively suprised they just put the engineer in there and spoke the words we wanted to hear and not some good looking female that has just been thaught what to reiterate for all the people visiting.
I love the idea of those super high hz screens but are they really that much better than OLED? Have not seen more than 144Hz. Yeah it was clearer in motion but there were other issues that made it not as much of a difference as i'd hoped. It seems the faster they go the more they have issues with pixel transition and colour.
I guess people loving them are not so much in it for the colour/IQ?

I got my C9 just before Black Friday and it was recommended to look at tv stands with mounts (like what you might have in an office or probably schools these days on wheels). With my current room configuration, a wall mount isn't possible. I LOVE this thing. My "monitor" sits about an inch away from the back of my 36" deep desk and the bottom of the tv is level with the desk. I really thought I'd want to be moving this thing around on an arm as well, depending on what I was working on but it really has been great in all situations.

I'm using a FITUEYES branded one but there are several on Amazon that look just about the same. i figure others out there might be like me and not want to give up their monitor arms (but go ahead and do it!).

I got my C9 just before Black Friday and it was recommended to look at tv stands with mounts (like what you might have in an office or probably schools these days on wheels). With my current room configuration, a wall mount isn't possible. I LOVE this thing. My "monitor" sits about an inch away from the back of my 36" deep desk and the bottom of the tv is level with the desk. I really thought I'd want to be moving this thing around on an arm as well, depending on what I was working on but it really has been great in all situations.

I'm using a FITUEYES branded one but there are several on Amazon that look just about the same. i figure others out there might be like me and not want to give up their monitor arms (but go ahead and do it!).

That would be a perfect solution if it also extended, as it is height adjustable and can swivel.

I got my 65 C9 around the same time from BB and I use it as my living room set. We're selling the house by end of year and moving so I don't want to wall mount it yet. My ONLY complaint with this TV, and it's a small one, is how it sits so low on the stand. I understand why it was built this way, but I had originally planned on getting a soundbar but being as the TV is so low I'm thinking it would block the bottom of the screen. So now my mind has shifted to spending a shit ton more on an actual legitimate Atmos surround set up. Which my wife hates the idea of from a cost and loudness perspective.

There is still no word if Nvidia will put HDMI 2.1 on their next series GPUs. No word at all. Nothing.

There is still no word if Nvidia will put HDMI 2.1 on their next series GPUs. No word at all. Nothing.

I think it should be a low risk bet to assume it will have, why would otherwise Nvidia be so willing to cooperate with LG to bring out GSYNC HDMI 2.1 support and be certified GSYNC compatible etc. Those guys who were involved won't just stand silently on the side just "hoping" Nvidia will add it. I mean even the Nvidia reps at the show be like, "I know which will be my next TV/monitor". Seldom I've seen such kind of excitement the reps themselves been of a product that's about to be launched.

If there's even a tiniest bit of chance next gen Radeon cards will have it, Nvidia also needs to have it.

I think it should be a low risk bet to assume it will have, why would otherwise Nvidia be so willing to cooperate with LG to bring out GSYNC HDMI 2.1 support and be certified GSYNC compatible etc. Those guys who were part of it won't just stand silently on the side just "hoping" the engineers will add it. I mean even the Nvidia reps at the show be like, "I know which will be my next TV/monitor"

I just pointing it out. I'm hoping it does happen. I imagine there is pressure for Nvidia to do it. We just have to wait and see. I think June is the rumored time frame.

I got my 65 C9 around the same time from BB and I use it as my living room set. We're selling the house by end of year and moving so I don't want to wall mount it yet. My ONLY complaint with this TV, and it's a small one, is how it sits so low on the stand. I understand why it was built this way, but I had originally planned on getting a soundbar but being as the TV is so low I'm thinking it would block the bottom of the screen. So now my mind has shifted to spending a shit ton more on an actual legitimate Atmos surround set up. Which my wife hates the idea of from a cost and loudness perspective.

Just get a compact 2 channel setup. Powered bookshelf have come a long way these days or a standalone amp.. It'll be much more WAF approved and smoke a crappy memebar in every way if you angle them correctly for listening position.

Not to be a buzzkill but these OLED's are only acceptable as secondary displays used for a specific task at a time (play a game or watch a movie). I own a C9 and have attempted using it as my main monitor but am on the verge of going back to my PG27UQ because of just how annoying the babysitting is.

Black background, no icons, 2 min screen saver, TranslucentTB, AccentColorSwitcher, remove scrollbars in Chrome and use Dark Reader, etc, etc, etc. Also, the banding people have reported in PC mode since 2017 is still present and I guarantee will be present on the CX.

The PQ is amazing of course but for me just not worth the trade off and constant annoyance. Lastly 60hz (for now) blows and I don't think I could use this for another 6 months as is until HDMI 2.1 GPU's arrive.

IMO the biggest improvement when it comes to gaming is not really the contrast as it's hard to tell apart from my PG27UQ in most games with mixed lighting but the pixel response. @ 120hz it's significantly clearer in motion than my PG27UQ.

The banding is probably just the content that was not designed with OLED in mind, no?

Bad calibration/contrast can both hide or make banding annoyingly obvious. I swear in 2020 many still don't understand that 8bit (or even 10 though it's a lot better) just isn't enough to trick our eyes into seeing 100% smooth gradients 100% of the time. Content creators do their best with dithering and stuff but games, websites and non UHD blu-rays are actually full of banding.

Those OLED panels not only have infinite contrast, they also seem to always come with a stellar calibration so I fully expect them to make banding visible a lot more than people are used to.

(unless I'm wrong and OLED banding is a completely different issue but I was just discussing banding on gaming LCDs somewhere else so had to get that off my chest)

No this is some firmware specific thing. I can change the input to "Console" from PC and the banding is gone. HDR in PC mode is atrocious compared to any other mode.

Damn, alright. Hopefully with how much they are talking about PC gaming we will see that fixed this year.

Not to be a buzzkill but these OLED's are only acceptable as secondary displays used for a specific task at a time (play a game or watch a movie). I own a C9 and have attempted using it as my main monitor but am on the verge of going back to my PG27UQ because of just how annoying the babysitting is.

Black background, no icons, 2 min screen saver, TranslucentTB, AccentColorSwitcher, remove scrollbars in Chrome and use Dark Reader, etc, etc, etc. Also, the banding people have reported in PC mode since 2017 is still present and I guarantee will be present on the CX.

The PQ is amazing of course but for me just not worth the trade off and constant annoyance. Lastly 60hz (for now) blows and I don't think I could use this for another 6 months as is until HDMI 2.1 GPU's arrive.

IMO the biggest improvement when it comes to gaming is not really the contrast as it's hard to tell apart from my PG27UQ in most games with mixed lighting but the pixel response. @ 120hz it's significantly clearer in motion than my PG27UQ.

And yet I've used mine for over two years and none of that bothers me in the slightest. Mine is on 8-10 hours per day at a minimum and all I do is reposition my active application window occasionally just to be overcautious...not a big deal to me at all and does not feel like babysitting as it becomes a natural habit.

Some of those things might be super annoying to you, but to make some definitive declaration that these are only suitable as occasional or secondary displays is, well...I think that everyone is capable of deciding that for themselves, ultimately. The good news is the 48" will make it easier to have a second monitor if one decides to.

Just get a compact 2 channel setup. Powered bookshelf have come a long way these days or a standalone amp.. It'll be much more WAF approved and smoke a crappy memebar in every way if you angle them correctly for listening position.

I use M-Audio powered monitors for my PC speakers - what do you recommend for a 2.1 setup that actually sounds really good? Anything with ARC input?

For me it's just the size that doesn't quite work out. 48" is still too big as a desktop monitor for me personally so I'll be hanging onto my Acer X27 for that but all gaming/movie watching will be done on the OLED of course.

Yeah I agree. I had a 49" X900F as a monitor before and find 40-43" the limit in terms of size. My biggest beef with the X27/PG27UQ is that they never completely turn off FALD zones even in pitch black areas.

I would reconsider an OLED @ 40" but there are still annoyances that can't be overcome like the grey taskbar icon highlight over an active window that's still present even with a hidden and translucent taskbar. I just can't use this thing as a monitor, ASBL is pretty obvious when doing any work (programming or office stuff).

I thought you could turn ASBL off in the service menu.

Yeah I agree. I had a 49" X900F as a monitor before and find 40-43" the limit in terms of size. My biggest beef with the X27/PG27UQ is that they never completely turn off FALD zones even in pitch black areas.

I would reconsider an OLED @ 40" but there are still annoyances that can't be overcome like the grey taskbar icon highlight over an active window that's still present even with a hidden and translucent taskbar. I just can't use this thing as a monitor, ASBL is pretty obvious when doing any work (programming or office stuff).

So what you are saying is that I should keep my 43" 4k Sony x800d as a pc monitor hooked up to my desktop in addition to the cx 48 in case the issues described bother me? Ok.

I can deal with changing inputs as needed when playing a game or watching something.

Now to think about what I should play first. I never played that ori game, but it's so colorful. I should try that on the oled.

I use M-Audio powered monitors for my PC speakers - what do you recommend for a 2.1 setup that actually sounds really good? Anything with ARC input?

If you're just doing stereo, roll optical out from the TV. Don't have to spend this much, just looking for something that has optical input and a sub output as an example.

After reading through the discussion regarding WOLED sub-pixel arrangement and ClearType, I felt the need to dig out my ancient HardForum account just to share the following ClearType tweaking utility that IMO beats the pants off of Windows' built-in ClearType tuner since this even includes keep-it-simple-stupid toggles for full-pixel greyscale font anti-aliasing, RGB ClearType, BGR ClearType, and disabling ClearType and font anti-aliasing altogether:

Info: https://github.com/bp2008/BetterClearTypeTuner
Download: https://github.com/bp2008/BetterClearTypeTuner/releases

Better ClearType Tuner.png

One of the 48" LGs is going in my arcade cabinet. Been looking for a suitable monitor replacement for a LONG time. It'll fit in there mounted vertically well, and I can run the games at 2160x1620 (4:3 aspect ratio).

I actually run a vertically-stacked multi-monitor setup of an LCD monitor mounted on top of a CRT monitor (I have a good amount of vertical space but minimal horizontal space) and, as someone that isn't all that picky about resolution, I've thought about doing the very same thing of taking the 48" OLED and rotating it 90 degrees to replace said multi-monitor setup.

And it was this thought of rotating an LG OLED 90 degrees that made me look into an easier way to disable ClearType and/or use full-pixel greyscale font anti-aliasing because AFAICT there's no way that ClearType with its default settings is going to look any good on a 90-degree rotated LG OLED.

Last edited:
The stand in general is a bit shit. The one on my Samsung was far easier to install and it takes less space in the back and sits higher. Samsung One Connect box is also way better for managing inputs.

M-Audio or similar are perfectly fine. Just get a sub that fits the room or DIY one.
Other suggestion for optical from TV might not be a bad idea either.

So when people say 120hz BFI, do they mean the panel runs at 120hz to give you BFI on 60fps games, or can the panel actually go up to 240hz to insert frames in 120fps signals?

With the news of 120hz BFI, these are just no-contest, really. If the NVidia Gsync thing last year didn't tip us off, Especially seeing how LG had the 48'' hooked up to a literal gaming rig at CES, it's pretty telling that they're absolutely aware of who's gonna be getting these.
So when people say 120hz BFI, do they mean the panel runs at 120hz to give you BFI on 60fps games, or can the panel actually go up to 240hz to insert frames in 120fps signals?
The latter.

It does a rolling scan at 120hz, with half of the rolling scan being a black frame.

Back