L5640 "special" - confirmed motherboard compatibility thread

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
My L5640 chip will be delivered today.
Hope it works fine on my P6T Dlx V2 board ....

Mines here, play with it tomorrow night, gotta work now

psst

I have an SR2, and one lonely L5640.

just sayin

I'M WORKING ON IT!!! :D:D

Wife didn't like the $450 electric bill this month. :eek::eek::eek:

So I need to take a couple boxen's back to work and one to my daughters house to cut the bill down.
Then buy an SR-2 to replace my main computer, since I really don't game much any more!

Well, add the EVGA X58 SLI Micro Rev 1.0 to the incompatible list :( if EVGA or someone else cant do a custom BIOS for the few of us who are stuck with this board I guess I'll just have to sell or trade it. Sigh.

well if you want to sell it... My SR2 only has 1 CPU lol

I think I want to keep it Vaulter, I'll let you know if i change my mind though.

Musky, I'd love to try it on my own but that link is from 2003 :p I might do some digging tomorrow though. The few minutes I spent on research today were pretty inconclusive.

Got a kick out of reading this ebay auction

Scroll down to the compatible motherboard list. look familiar?

Saw that. Felt like asking for a royalty fee for the information because copyright theft.
The bastage!
;)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ok. . just managed to get some time to play with my puppy ...
Used i7 920 to update BIOS (P6T Dlx V2) to 1003
Replaced i7 920 with L5640 chip
Booted up and was able to go to BIOS window.
Changed Multiplier to 13 and BLCK to 200
Saved changes and rebooted
It went straight into window (used old - pre-installed window xp to test)

currently, the windows still tries to "installed" proper drivers .....

Will see how this thing goes .....

P.S: Currently on STOCK hsf from i7 920 .. this puppy will be under watercooling system.

Well, I gave in and bought an ASUS X58 Sabertooth. Assuming it will work. I just didn't have the time or patience to deal with modding the BIOS for the EVGA board. Plus I feel safer having a board with a warranty.

EDIT: Thank you musky for helping out. I don't mean to dismiss your generosity :)

Last edited:
mine are due in on the 29th.. then I get to stare at them while I save up for the rest of the parts.

Ouch .. Does anyone have this issue? ...

Both BIOS and CPUz can't read CPU's info ... they both displayed: Intel 000

I finally took a close look at the EVGA X58 SLI board and it's a rev 1.1. :(

There's an open box Rampage II Gene at Newegg. Maybe I'll get that since it's on the list. Any thoughts before I pull the trigger?

i've heard it's a good board

hope you don't need the i/o back panel

Every open box but one that I ever bought from Newegg came with the i/o panel. The one that didn't just required an email to ASUS and they sent me one for free.

It should be if it's a rev 1.1 or newer board.

Compatible revisions for EVGA boards:
E757 - rev 1.1
E758 - rev 1.2
E760 - rev 1.1
E762 - rev 1.1
haven't we seen rev 1.1 boards that aren't compatible though?

the guy that is trying to flip those CPUs has got to be a folder.. but he couldnt be a [H] folder...

Ordered the Gene II. It looks like the Mrs. will be getting that faster PC sooner than she thought.:D

Hmm, so what's the catch with the Sabertooth? It's the cheapest ASUS X58 board out there but the specs look pretty badass.

No idea, it just seems like an awesome board that came out of nowhere. It's the best rated X58 on Newegg with a lot of reviews. I love ASUS.

Back