L5640 "special" - confirmed motherboard compatibility thread

Asus P6T Deluxe bios looks nothing like a eVGA bios!!!

lol...that may be true (I don't have an Asus board), but it is still AMI. You want a real shock, look at a Biostar Tpower bios...also an AMI but very different looking.

Settings?? I could use the help!!
Sorry, but I'm afraid I can't be too much help... I don't have much time to fiddle with it this week, so the settings were very basic. I put it on the X.M.P. mode in the BIOS and changed the multiplier to 18. I then put the CPU bus speed to 200MHz and the RAM to 2,005MHz. All voltages were still at stock (auto) settings.

I tested it on the P6T Deluxe V2 with the latest BIOS (#1003). It only took a couple minutes to get it running at a moderate overclocked rate of 3.6GHz. Here is a screenshot:

408459512_o.jpg

At load, it runs in the upper 50's with a Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme.

Should we put this (P6T Dlx V2) into "confirmed" list as well ??

P6T6 WS Revolution rev 1 (i think) runs this processor fine, using latest bios 0803

Last edited:
Anyone try ASRock boards yet?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

How the hell did I miss that? Anyways, thanks, and musky, please check ur pm's lol

Asshat :)

edit
That was a very rough night let me tell you

are there any microATX boards that support this chip?

oh I joined it allright :eek:

bought 5 of them lol

the irony is now I have no money for motherboards... maybe in another two or so paychecks

time to sell my body on 8th street again

anyone want to buy some video cards? lol

Sweet! Can't wait to see your production start to climb.

Fold On!

ya assuming I can find inexpensive mATX boards :(

oh I joined it allright :eek:

bought 5 of them lol

the irony is now I have no money for motherboards... maybe in another two or so paychecks

time to sell my body on 8th street again

anyone want to buy some video cards? lol

Do a search for "asus p6t" on eBay. There are a few that are going for less than $100.

I have confirmed Kendraks finding that any SR-2 bios will work with these chips. I think my new board has A41, which isn't even listed on the bios page.

This is a beautiful sight.

beautifulrd.png

Won't be that cool for long.
Off to overclock this bad boy :D

The Good: When the PSU blew up yesterday, it did not fry my mobo.

The Bad: It appears the DFI Lanparty DK X58-T3eH6 is not compatible with the L5640, using the 2010-04-22 BIOS. I got an 88 code on the LCD and it wouldn't POST. I swapped the i7 920 back in and it's working. However, don't add this to the first page yet. There's a new BIOS that just came out this month, and I also need to confirm the processor works (gulp!). My second L5640 arrives tomorrow, so I'll pop them both into the SR-2 and test before trying the DFI again.

The Ugly: Both GPU boxen have been down all day. The dead PSU is on the brown truck back to Sparkle, but it'll probably be at least a week and a half before a replacement arrives. I'll try to get some GPUs up and running in the meantime, but probably not until tomorrow.

edit: Looks like I spoke too soon. I rebooted and now I can't get the PC to power on at all. The motherboard just blinks at me.

Last edited:
Doh. I was so excited to get the chip that I forgot to test the X58M. I'll do that tonight and post the results.

First test on an eVGA motherboard wasn't good.

It didn't post. I'll be doing a little research work on the eVga forums today to find a solution.

EDIT: Found this link for eVga motherboards. L5640 should work.

Last edited:
I can get 220+ on my X58 Pro-E but I've found out that MSI boards don't allow you to lock in one of the turboboost multipliers. My L5640 will jump up to a 19x multiplier every now and then but I have no way of locking in anything over 17x. Time to shop for a new mobo I think.

I noticed the same thing Doozer with my Pro-E. Doesn't matter too much since my L5640 will only do 3.7ghz stable.

Well, the EVGA X58 SLI (v1.0 board) I got from B-stock isn't working.

EVGA website shows compatibility and EVGA customer service assured me it would ship with the most current BIOS installed, so I'm guessing someone's information is wrong.

Anyone else have any luck with the X58 SLI?

The major bitch of it is I don't have an i7 available to test and update the BIOS. Might have to see if one of the small computer shops in the area has a system pull i7 and will let me borrow it.

Well, the EVGA X58 SLI (v1.0 board) I got from B-stock isn't working.

EVGA website shows compatibility and EVGA customer service assured me it would ship with the most current BIOS installed, so I'm guessing someone's information is wrong.

Anyone else have any luck with the X58 SLI?

The major bitch of it is I don't have an i7 available to test and update the BIOS. Might have to see if one of the small computer shops in the area has a system pull i7 and will let me borrow it.

I don't think we have had an EVGA board tested other than the SR-2s

What happens when you shove and go? Sometime things just work.

Confirmed Compatible with the Asus Rampage II GENE.

Another system that was running had its i7-920 OC'ed to 4126 removed and the L5640 ES popped in. The following image is what the board automatically set. The R II I G has the current BIOS firmware.
L5640%20ES%20-%20Asus%20Rampage%20II%20GENE%20-%20First%20Run.jpg

Bigger image for those who want it at this URL:
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_H6G8c7wgQmo/TJ254x2vgCI/AAAAAAAAAGw/rfKWZIm91c4/L5640%20ES%20-%20Asus%20Rampage%20II%20GENE%20-%20First%20Run.jpg

Nice when things just work out! Now on to OC!

** Quick Update:
First restoration to a reasonable OC, Voltage, and Memory Speed. I have to say the Rampage II GENE is a very tolerant board when paired up with the G.Skill F3-16000CL6T-6GBPID Kits.

L5640%20ES%20-%20Asus%20Rampage%20II%20GENE%20-%20First%20OC%20Bump.jpg

Bigger image for those who want it at this URL:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_H6G8c7wgQmo/TJ2_7HwTO7I/AAAAAAAAAG0/M42HYz84j-4/L5640%20ES%20-%20Asus%20Rampage%20II%20GENE%20-%20First%20OC%20Bump.jpg

Now time to let the new CPU bake in a little.

Last edited:
Up to 215 bclk now. 3870 mhz.

Back