L5640 "special" - confirmed motherboard compatibility thread

The Gigabyte GA-X58-USB3 booted up last night. :)

Once I get Windows and it's thousands of updates loaded it'll be time for moar 'D."

The Gigabyte GA-X58-USB3 booted up last night. :)

Once I get Windows and it's thousands of updates loaded it'll be time for moar 'D."

Added. Any idea what bios? I was looking pretty hard at that board myself, but had never heard of it before.

Added. Any idea what bios? I was looking pretty hard at that board myself, but had never heard of it before.

It's a newer board. It's very similar to the UD3R. Main difference is the lack of SATA 3.0. Due to its newness and similarity to the UD3R, I'd venture to guess that it supports the L5640 with all BIOS revs.

The BIOS is F2. I have it folding at stock for the time being. Next up, overclocking!

Hi all,

I have a slight problem, I installed a L5630 processor on an Asrock X58 Extreme mobo (not extreme3 or 6 just regular extreme) and its only showing up as 2 cores and 4 threads with the 2.6 bios update, it says on the OP's list that Asrock X58 extreme with 2.5 bios is compatible with L5640 so does that also apply for the L5630 or is it a different story?

I had never heard of an L5630 until right now. I have no idea on compatibility, and i am pretty sure no one around here has one.

@musky

Its basically the same as a L5640 except just .13 ghz slower. Don't know if they share compatibility with mobo's but they should as they are in the same product line.

Appears to be a quad core.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Yeah, oops I guess it wasn't the same its a six-core vs a quad-core. But either way any thoughts on shared compatibility between these two, shouldnt it still work on the Asrock x58 xtreme board?

Yeah, oops I guess it wasn't the same its a six-core vs a quad-core. But either way any thoughts on shared compatibility between these two, shouldnt it still work on the Asrock x58 xtreme board?

Where these Xeon chips are concerned, it can really be hit or miss when you're trying to stick them into a consumer level single socket board. It just depends on whether or not the board manufacturer wants to go to the trouble of inserting the needed micro codes into the bios.

Where these Xeon chips are concerned, it can really be hit or miss when you're trying to stick them into a consumer level single socket board. It just depends on whether or not the board manufacturer wants to go to the trouble of inserting the needed micro codes into the bios.

Agreed. The Gigabyte board I mentioned above is giving me fits trying to overclock it. If I could get my Gene II's BIOS updated to accept hex cores I'd be ok.

So the L5640 ES will not work with the Gigabyte X58A-UD5 correct? I got mine to run last night but it would not let me OC it. Wish I had read this thread before buying :\

If that's the case, the 5640 will be up for sale :(

So the L5640 ES will not work with the Gigabyte X58A-UD5 correct? I got mine to run last night but it would not let me OC it. Wish I had read this thread before buying :\

If that's the case, the 5640 will be up for sale :(
2 things:

1) It should work. I have one in my X58-UD5 overclocked nicely. Have you updated your BIOS? I wonder if gigabyte did something different with their newer mobos, since compatibility seems to have changed a bit coming from their original line of X58 mobos.

2) If you sell it for a good price, DIBS! I'm interested :)

I have the rev1 of that mobo, and I'm using F5 bios.

I set BCLK to 180 manually, core volt to 1.2v and multi to 18. But no OC once I boot into windows. Oh, and idle temps went up 12C from 32 to 45 :(

CPUz.png

update CPUz. It doesn't always play well with this hardware. I'm wondering if you actually ARE overclocked, you just don't know it yet :)

I'm having a similar problem with the X58 USB3 as it won't even boot outside of stock settings. :(

Posting my BIOS screens for my EX58-UD5 + L5640 combo per request.
Sorry about the image quality, took them with my phone in a hurry

What microATX motherboard would this processor be compatible with?

Thanks guys!

The compatible list is on page 1, very first post...

Only one on our confirmed list that I can see is the ASUS Rampage II Gene though I would BET that other ASUS microATX boards would also work as well with the right BIOS.

Just want to update this thread ..

This chip L5640 works great on Gigabytes GA-X58A UD3R Rev 2 BIOS version FC

What microATX motherboard would this processor be compatible with?

Thanks guys!

I could have sworn I had a couple of MSI boards in the compatibility list, including the X58M. I'll see if I can figure out what happened to them. PM Doozer - I believe he was the one testing the X58M.

I have a DFI Lanparty JR and an ASUS Rampage III GENE. If someone wants me to confirm compatibility, let me know. Otherwise I don't want to rip apart my SR-2 to get the L5640 out.

Yeah ... not bad at all with this giga board ... :D

Code:
http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/210/l5640221x18a.jpg

Last edited:
Just for interest sake - I got E5620 working on Gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev.2.0 with beta bios from Stasio - FF2 . Beta bioses here .

I think that if the E5620 works , the L5640 should too .

I don't know if it made a difference - but I flashed bios w i7 950 , went into the bios and manually set multi to 18x and set QPI , uncore and dram ratios as low as possible .

Got the E 5620 at 211 x 19 - seems stable - must still stress properly , also managed 225 x 19 , not stable though . I struggled for 2 weeks getting setup going as I had no compatible chip to flash bios with . Was on the verge of going out and buying i7 950 . ;)

Last edited:
Back