L5640 "special" - confirmed motherboard compatibility thread

[H]ecklerKoc[H];1036220967 said:
Anyone Interested to see if the EVGA SLI LE is compatible?

If you feel like it, sure. I don't know how many others are running this board.

For anyone who has tried an EVGA motherboard that hasn't worked, what do you get on the debug LEDs? I'm getting nothing but FF on mine. EVGA tech support is telling me I should be getting C1 or some other CPU-related error code. I tried one of my X5650s from my SR-2 system (had to break one of my Indigo Extreme applications...grr!) as well and got the same thing.

For anyone who has tried an EVGA motherboard that hasn't worked, what do you get on the debug LEDs? I'm getting nothing but FF on mine. EVGA tech support is telling me I should be getting C1 or some other CPU-related error code. I tried one of my X5650s from my SR-2 system (had to break one of my Indigo Extreme applications...grr!) as well and got the same thing.

I'm getting FF as well with two different L5640's and the newest bios.

I'm getting FF as well with two different L5640's and the newest bios.

Bummer! I was kind of hoping my board was just bad. Well, this is puzzling. I'm guessing both of our boards aren't bad.

I don't suppose you have an i7 you can put in it to test? Since you mentioned the board has the latest BIOS, I'm guessing you already have.

I don't suppose you have an i7 you can put in it to test?

Been folding for months with an i7 920! The L5640 was my upgrade for her.

I have 2 - x59 SLI boards and 1 - x58 Micro board.
I will try it again in my other X58 SLI when I get home.
I'm off to the borough auction to buy a full server rack with lots of goodies.:D:D

Been folding for months with an i7 920! The L5640 was my upgrade for her.

I have 2 -x59 SLI boards and 1 - x58 Micro board.
I will try it again in my other X58 SLI when I get home.
I'm off to the borough auction to buy a full server rack with lots of goodies.:D:D

Well crap. Thanks for the info. What rev is your board? The one I got from B-stock is Rev 1.0. Looks like there must be a hardware limitation on at least the older rev boards.

Well crap. Thanks for the info. What rev is your board? The one I got from B-stock is Rev 1.0. Looks like there must be a hardware limitation on at least the older rev boards.

Same deal with my Biostar. It may just be that they won't work.

I just got this back from EVGA tech support...

If it is a revision 1 board there maybe a compatibility issue with hex cores depending on the exact manufacturing date.

...and I'm guessing ours are conveniently before that manufacturing date.

Where can I find the rev info on the board?

vcore 1.38125V
CPU PLL 1.96V
QPI 1.375V
IOH 1.3V
ICH 1.2V

For those of you with A0 Extra Spicy CPUs from that ebay guy.
Can you confirm or deny if Turbo is working properly. I cannot seem to get Turbo to kick in.

You have speed step and turbo enabled? you have to turn both on with the SR-2

I just got this back from EVGA tech support...

*snip*

...and I'm guessing ours are conveniently before that manufacturing date.

This is scaring me...I have an SLI X58 Micro on the way. It's got the latest BIOS so I really hope it works. If not I'll have to find another board and it will be another week before I can run my new baby :(

This is scaring me...I have an SLI X58 Micro on the way. It's got the latest BIOS so I really hope it works. If not I'll have to find another board and it will be another week before I can run my new baby :(

Is it a new one? If so, I doubt you'll have an issue.

have we confirmed that the MSI X58M MATX board works/does not work? I know someone mentioned that somebody was trying to use this board...

have we confirmed that the MSI X58M MATX board works/does not work? I know someone mentioned that somebody was trying to use this board...

I've got one and I'll test it tomorrow. I was going to get to it today but I've been dealing with sick family members all day.

Both motherboards are Rev 1.1

Both motherboards are Rev 1.1

Well that sucks. Sounds like EVGA customer service is full of shit.

Musky, just to be safe, I'd put down the X58 SLI as not compatible unless someone else can prove otherwise.

Well that sucks. Sounds like EVGA customer service is full of shit.

Musky, just to be safe, I'd put down the X58 SLI as not compatible unless someone else can prove otherwise.

Done, with rev 1. If someone can confirm or deny later versions, I'll update it.

Maybe we can have one of our members who knows how to do custom BIOS (musky? DooKey?) do one for these boards? I don't really know what that involves but if it's simple it would be a great quick fix.

Maybe we can have one of our members who knows how to do custom BIOS (musky? DooKey?) do one for these boards? I don't really know what that involves but if it's simple it would be a great quick fix.

I'll take a peak at it.

Edit: This is an Award bios. I only know how to deal with AMI.

Last edited:
Got a kick out of reading this ebay auction

Scroll down to the compatible motherboard list. look familiar?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back