Kingdoms of Amalur

Why do you have to use an injector in either game?

What do you mean? If you want FXAA/Sharpening you have to because it's not an in-game option. Also the ENB stuff tends to alter color saturation and that kind of thing, too.

So, the game finally unlocked and started playing it. I like it so far. Graphics are nice - the mixture of warm colors, with cohorts of enemies, just makes a psychodelic setting.... something that I felt, first time I wandered into Zangramarsh in Outland ;)

Playing rogue, as the speed of daggers and bow perks are most fun so far. Not yet far in the story, so can't comment on it, apart it's generic prologue "You wake from death, have no memory, and your waking area is under attack, so run like hell and that's all we can tell you" :)

And this game is damn impressive in 3D Vision mode. On my hardware from sig, puts a healthy 44 FPS in that mode, with everything maxed. Though, if you want to play it in 3D, you have to lower the depth setting to minimum, as there iwll be problems with ghosting. Nothing that new drivers won't fix - game lacks profile, as it starts as "unrated".

I think I like it so far, lots of loot, gore, combat... we shall see how it goes

Why is Steam downloading a 72MB update :confused:. There's no update news. I hate it when devs put random patches up and don't say what they changed.

No patches on Origin... I downloaded 7,7 GB yesterday, and it didn't require any additional patches. Besides, it was much, much cheaper then on Steam - 50 Euro on Steam, 30 euro on Origin :)

Oh it's probably just a minor update to support the DLC gear pack they just added to the store. Got me all excited thinking it was a camera fix patch.

played the demo, felt like crap. camera angles are awkward, FOV is designed for consoles. minimap is a copy paste from WoW, game design is mostly a copy paste of WoW actually...

played the demo, felt like crap. camera angles are awkward, FOV is designed for consoles. minimap is a copy paste from WoW, game design is mostly a copy paste of WoW actually...

Uh-huh....Because WoW had anything resembling real time or good combat. Try playing it for more than two minutes.

Amalur doesn't even have lock on... /FACEPALM

Despite being extremely consolised and missing half of the key bindings in the Options menu, I finished the demo and the gameplay is pretty good. I'm not a fan of the airy fairy Fable-esque art design though, which is going to make the immersion factor very limited for me. Might pick this up at the $20 price point.

Facepalm indeed. I got this today and that's one of the first things I noticed. Gotta say, not too impressed so far.

Agree for the most part. Combat is better than WoW, but overall it just feels very awkward. I think I'll put it down for a few weeks and see if there are any improvements with future patches. Knew I should have waited a couple months to pick this up.

Despite being extremely consolised and missing half of the key bindings in the Options menu, I finished the demo and the gameplay is pretty good. I'm not a fan of the airy fairy Fable-esque art design though, which is going to make the immersion factor very limited for me. Might pick this up at the $20 price point.

I bit at $30 for an origin copy. Downloaded it and will be starting on it some tomorrow methinks... :D.

Game saves are in My Games/Reckoning. They've .sav files.

No, they're not there... first place I always look.

There's no .sav files in My Documents/My Games/Reckoning, there is only the following:

"0.profile"
"personal"
"scalability"
and a "Default" folder -> "LogSettings" -> settings file

That's it... so, does anyone know why they're not there? Or where else they are/might be?

I've checked everywhere, but no dice.

Note: not all Steam saves end up in the My Games folder, and I cant find anything.
Looking it up, apparently the "profile" file should have a number attached to it, which shows how many saves there are, but mine does not, and it's only 74bytes.

Last edited:
I assume this is sarcasm, but the game really is meant to be played with a controller, and the combat is fantastic with one.

No thank you. While the controller works fine, the 4 skill limitation is fucking stupid.

So far I've got about 15 hours in, and it's still holding me and my friends pretty tightly. We're all in the level 20-21 range. Two more levels and I'll have my Sagecrafting maxed as well as Blacksmithing, so I'm excited to see what items I'll be able to make. I can already make much better weapons and armor than I'm using now, but I at least want to be able to craft Epic gems before I make anything.

I assume this is sarcasm, but the game really is meant to be played with a controller, and the combat is fantastic with one.

I think ocellaris was responding to hardc0re's post, in that it's not a direct copy of WoW's game design because there are no clicking of targets.

I am honestly not sure why in the last 10 posts all of a sudden people are comparing it to WoW.. This game is more like Skyrim or any other Action RPG than an MMO. :confused: This has more in common with Vindictus than WoW. Shit, the only things it has in common with WoW are the picking up of quests (....), the minimap (....), and hotkeys (....).

Jaerb4 said:
I disagree, with the combat being faster-paced, I couldn't imagine this being played on a console.

That's how it is these days. Any dev come up with something new ppl had to compare it to wow. Can't these motherfucker just accept something different? I don't know why everyone have to drag wow into this. They even have to pick on the slightest thing like mini map. Are you serious? Let's talk about the game itself and stop dragging other game into the topic. Is like I buy a car with different rim and people start saying shit like but ferrari rim are much better.

Not to "nag" again, but does anyone with the Steam version know where the hell the actual save files are going?

Please see my post here: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038367358&postcount=578 for info.

I've found one folder of saves in a folder buried in the Steam folder that has no details (looking under file details shows what folder/game they belong to) and there are 99 of them, and I've maxed-out all the saves in the game, just over-writing the last one now.

So would that be them?

They're not in My Games folder at all, as described in my previous post. It should be the "profile" file, but there's no number attached, as I've read there would be, depending on how many saves you've used. Mine just says "0.profile".

Wondering if that Steam folder (some insane number of the folder) with the unnamed saves are the ones?

Not to "nag" again, but does anyone with the Steam version know where the hell the actual save files are going?

Please see my post here: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038367358&postcount=578 for info.

I've found one folder of saves in a folder buried in the Steam folder that has no details (looking under file details shows what folder/game they belong to) and there are 99 of them, and I've maxed-out all the saves in the game, just over-writing the last one now.

So would that be them?

They're not in My Games folder at all, as described in my previous post. It should be the "profile" file, but there's no number attached, as I've read there would be, depending on how many saves you've used. Mine just says "0.profile".

Wondering if that Steam folder (some insane number of the folder) with the unnamed saves are the ones?

No idea, man. Mine are in the My Games folder.

Try a search (Start Menu > Search programs and files on Windows 7) for '.sav'. It picks mine up.

I disagree, with the combat being faster-paced, I couldn't imagine this being played on a console.

You get better precision of directional movement than wasd provides, especially for rolling and targeting. And unlike the Batman games, the FoV is somewhat limited and you don't have to look around to spot small details so controlling the camera with an analog stick isn't very taxing.

I can see it going either way, as I played Witcher on kb/m, but this feels extremely natural with my Rumblepad II.

So would that be them?

I'd like to know too. I need to transfer my saves to my laptop since my desktop is about to be packed away for my overseas move. Is it being saved in the Steam cloud?

Disregard. It is being saved to the Steam cloud.

Actually they took enough care with it that you can't go wrong either way. It's down to personal preference and both preferences were given good care which is more than I can say about a lot of other games.

I'm not very far yet. I'm still doing quests in the first town (I can for see the "just one more quest" syndrome happening). I like what's I've played so far. The graphics are decent and the art style makes up for it not having zOMG cutting edge graphics and it runs smooth as butter. Though male hands look freakishly big (also wtf is with just about every NPC pointing in your face all the time?).

I was playing it with the kb/mouse but switched to a wired 360 controller and I like it better. I'm going the Finesse route. Mostly using daggers and bow right now. Overall I'd say it's a nice break from playing nearly nothing but Skyrim for almost the last 3 months.

I'm enjoying the game with the 360 controller. Combat's no big deal at all, although is there a way to easily swap between targets with the bow? Right now pointing in the general direction seems to more or less work, but is there a toggle or lock-on mechanism?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Origin. All PC versions except the Steam version require Origin to be running to play.

Thanks. Well, I suppose saving $10 and using a giftcard on Amazon is worth it. I never had a problem with Origin before, but BF3 was (and is) a huge clusterfuck on Origin (it keeps trying to redownload the whole game), but that might be a BF3 issue.

I see that the game is on sale for digital download at Amazon for $50.99. http://www.amazon.com/Kingdoms-of-A...46159622&pf_rd_i=kingdoms of amalur reckoning

Anyone know what key they give you for this? Is it usable on Origin or Steam?

It uses Origin and do not use the Amazon downloader, just get your keys, install Origin and redeem your codes there.

Amazon will download and fail to install after the origin piece is put together.

So far, it seems origin runs every time I run the game, not a big deal to me but thought there were posts stating it would not... again not a biggie for me at this time but I do prefer steam.

I did not enable the Origin cloud for this game, don't really want anything hosting back up in EA land for now.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Picked up this up last night. I watched a lot of reviews and it seems like it's what i wanted Fable to be. Really curious.

Found this here: http://www.pcgamingwiki.com/index.php/Kingdoms_of_Amalur:_Reckoning

Save game cloud sync

Steam cloud is natively supported by the Steam version of this game, which will sync save game data. Other version will require hacks in order to support save game cloud syncing.

Dropbox: unknown

Live Mesh 2011: unknown
GameSave Manager: unknown
Save game location

Steam version save game location:
\Steam\userdata\*your number here*\102500\remote\

I also hooked up my 360 controller to try it out last night, and damn if it isn't fun. I thought changing my POV was going to be a real PITA, but it works. Perhaps not as quickly as I'd like, but it hasn't gotten me killed.

Anyone have any decent screens?

Define "decent"? ;)

There's tons of pictures on the game site that pretty much show what it looks like. Click the smaller pics to get full screen images.

http://reckoning.amalur.com/en/r/media/screenshots

Reckoning-WellOfSouls-02.jpg

Reckoning-MountainTroll.jpg

I bit at $30 for an origin copy. Downloaded it and will be starting on it some tomorrow methinks... :D.

Where'd you find it at that price? I'd definitely snag the game at that price point. $60 is a bit much for me, considering I paid $40 for Skyrim.

Back