Kingdoms of Amalur

Domingo

Fully [H]
I'd never heard of this game before this morning, but started looking into it after seeing an article on Joystiq this morning.
Seems like a pretty cool action RPG produced by the guy who was responsible for Morrowind and Oblivion.

Anyone know anything good or bad about it?

Curt Schilling has his hand in it too, and I have a lot of respect for that guy. Huge EQ2 player back in the day, they originally started the game to be an MMO and turned it into a single player game. There are some good lengthy videos of gameplay and they all look like a lot of fun.

Curt Schilling has his hand in it too, and I have a lot of respect for that guy. Huge EQ2 player back in the day, they originally started the game to be an MMO and turned it into a single player game. There are some good lengthy videos of gameplay and they all look like a lot of fun.

No, this is merely a singleplayer game set within the same setting as the MMO that they're supposedly still creating.

Personally I'm not an MMO guy, so I'm just hoping for something along the lines of the TES games with hopefully better combat.

No, this is merely a singleplayer game set within the same setting as the MMO that they're supposedly still creating.

All I know is if they are supposedly still making the MMO, they are the most hush-hush company to ever make one.

Yeah im excited for this game. Still don't know though PC, or PS3. I'm leaning Ps3 because sometimes I like to just sit in my bedroom and play games.

Personally I'm not an MMO guy, so I'm just hoping for something along the lines of the TES games with hopefully better combat.

I have hopes for this game.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1614900&highlight=Amalur

This was an older thread that had a little media in it and some back and forth.

http://reckoning.amalur.com/en/ag
Main site

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdoms_of_Amalur:_Reckoning
Info

This says February 7, 2012 release date in USA and February 10, 2012 in Europe.

I like what I see. I hope this thing is good. I need an "ease off" game from Skyrim. ;)

Game looks good, but not great. Saying that I'll probably buy it if I can catch it on sell but probably not till then.

I have been following the game a long time.

It's an open world rpg with the visionary lead (that's his title) of Ken Rolston (Lead designer of Morrowind and Oblivion) with RA Salvatore doing all the lore and Todd Mcfarlane doing the art.

Being developed by Curt Schilings 38 studios.

The game started at Big Huge Games, then 38 studios came in and got them. This is not an mmo. It is an open world single player only rpg. THe mmo is still being developed as well, it will take place in the same setting and is known as Project Copernicus.

There will be a demo for the game on the 17th, on pc/xbox/ps3.

For those that don't know much about it, the main draw of tohe game aside from it's open world, and huge 200-300 + hour length is the combat.

It's a very action oriented combat system, it's not a hotkey based usual rpg style system or a bare bones system a la TES.

some videos to show it off: (I love Claudia black, wish she had a character in the game and wasn't just the narrator for the trailers)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KygVM-WUJ2U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjkJ7XSZmV4

Another major selling point of the gmae is the "destiny" and skill system. The game doesn't limit you to a strict class or skill system. You are free to mix and match your character's skills and develop them however you wish, mixing in magic with melee, or stealth, or range, anything.

As you progress you gain "destiny cards" that enhance what your character is doing, so say if you build a jack of all, you'll get a destiny that enhances how diverse you are, etc. You mix finesse with magic and you get one for that.

It basically rewards you for playing however you choose, rather then funneling you into a certain role likle most rpgs.

That sounds great especially with names like that involved. More than likely I take the gamble on it.

I was looking into this game a lot at first, then I saw a heavily armored warrior type rolling around in the battlefield to avoid attacks. I instantly lost all interest. I don't mind action RPG but it's got to have some sense to it.

I was looking into this game a lot at first, then I saw a heavily armored warrior type rolling around in the battlefield to avoid attacks. I instantly lost all interest. I don't mind action RPG but it's got to have some sense to it.

Yes because magic, elves, dragons, and shit makes perfect sense?

I'm genuinely curious if that is all you dislike about the game? The rolling mechanic.

Yeah im excited for this game. Still don't know though PC, or PS3. I'm leaning Ps3 because sometimes I like to just sit in my bedroom and play games.

PC for sure on this one - I read a Creation Kit is coming out for it.

Full plate armor isn't heavy. it's a common myth that it's so over-burden that you could fall down and not get up, can't mount your own horse, etc.

A guy in full plate armor could easily do a carthweel, or roll, if he wanted.

I have my eye on this one, and I'm hoping it turns out alright. After the Great Year of Disappointment that was 2011, I've learned not to not really look forward to anything to any great extent now.

Full plate armor isn't heavy. it's a common myth that it's so over-burden that you could fall down and not get up, can't mount your own horse, etc.

A guy in full plate armor could easily do a carthweel, or roll, if he wanted.

As long as rolls and the like are offset by stamina, it really shouldn't be an issue. It is comparatively heavy and stiff, but a roll or cartwheel can be done by someone proficient.

Narrative and back story is written by R A Salvatore, am cautiously optimistic that this may be a return to the days of engrossing rpg stories, ala Baldurs Gate and Planescape Torment.

LOL, posts like these just crack me up sometimes. It takes so little to all of a sudden lose interest? Really?

Is this the only problem you have with the game because if so there's a very easy solution: Don't use the rolling mechanic. ;)

It's just like people raging about Steam Achievements. Don't like 'em? Don't use 'em.

PC for sure on this one - I read a Creation Kit is coming out for it.

Wow, no kidding. This thing is going to be mods and the works?

Last edited:
Yes because magic, elves, dragons, and shit makes perfect sense?

I'm genuinely curious if that is all you dislike about the game? The rolling mechanic.
It makes a joke out of the combat system. Why play an agile and dextrous fighter when the largest, bulkiest, and strongest warriors have the same exact moves...

It makes a joke out of the combat system. Why play an agile and dextrous fighter when the largest, bulkiest, and strongest warriors have the same exact moves...

Fair point.

Have you seen how the rest of the game and combat actually works? I sure haven't so I'd like to see it if you've tracked something down.

I really like the look of this game but that might be my biggest gripes is that all 3 classes might essentially play the same with different eye candy but stiler posted that their will be a demo on the 17th so I'm definitely going to play it before making judgement if I wait till this hits the bargain bin or if I might buy it shortly after launch.

There will be a demo on the 17th

That's great news.

I agree that if I play that demo and I see classes and such don't make any difference it's going to be a bit of a letdown right off the bat.

Umm, because they don't? Not every character has the same movies, it depend son what skills you raise.

A finesse warrior won't fight the same as a stregnth warrior.

Looks like I'll have to play the 360 demo, too. All of my Mass Effect stuff is on that system...doh!

Wow, no kidding. This thing is going to be mods and the works?

Donno man, I SWEAR I saw info on a end user development/mod kit in an interview, but I can't find any info on their forums about it. Maybe I'm FOS.....

will the decisions I make have any real consequences in this game?

Yes

Look up some lets play videos on youtube. There is a good 40ish minute long developer walk through that pretty much explains everything in the game.

Yes

Look up some lets play videos on youtube. There is a good 40ish minute long developer walk through that pretty much explains everything in the game.

I like what I see.

Pretty cool back and forth cross over promotions with Mass Effect 3. Play the demo for either game and it gets you unlocks on the other. Preorder one game and it gets you even more unlocks on the other and so forth.

Giantbombcast, Amalur edition posted today:

http://www.giantbomb.com/podcast/

Should have some good info - sit down with some Big Huge Games reps.

I'm definitely going to try the demo, but I need to "finish" Skyrim before launching into another RPG.

What is this doing in the PC gaming subforum? Is it a PC centric game? I'm not trolling, I just have not read much on it, and every vid I've seen has been played on consoles.

I'm glad they're putting out a demo simply because there's a few quibbling questions that I have watching those videos that feeling and seeing things for myself will tell in short order.

I'm glad they're putting out a demo simply because there's a few quibbling questions that I have watching those videos that feeling and seeing things for myself will tell in short order.

Hell yes. Not to mention the fact that their release of a demo shows their confidence in the game they're making.

Love it!

I don't prefer the cheesy graphics, but at least they hired some olde-sounding voice actors
happy.gif

LOL yeah, you mean instead of a bunch of guys that speak American dialect in a medieval setting? Always makes the game interesting.

I also am not a fan of the art direction, but it doesn't matter that much if the game is good shit.

I also am not a fan of the art direction, but it doesn't matter that much if the game is good shit.

Indeed. I can get over some of the art direction real fast if she's got it where it counts everywhere else.

It is a good sign and vote of confidence in their product that they're putting a demo out and especially several weeks before release.

Back