Just played with the GS3 !!!

Why does a phone need to have an uber GPU anyway? I always thought that the UI frame rate was something that is software limited (I.e. my nexus is smoother on jellybean than on ICS with same hardware).

To me good battery life, screen resolution and quick load times and less lag when launching things (PDF, maps, email, etc) were always a whole lot more important than the GPU in a phone.

It doesn't need a good GPU for anything except gaming, and the Galaxy S3's GPU is on the high-end of phones regardless so it'll handle everything out there. The other factors you mention are far more important for normal use.

did you even read what people said in the thread you posted? Fail.

Yes, buddy, I did. You seem to not have clicked through to the link. The quad-core sounds like it has a driver bug, but from US S3 owners (dual-core version) the GPU is great for gaming:

I have a sprint s3 and riptide is awesome on it. Very smooth.
I've played numerous race in Riptide and all were super smooth. I haven't tried dead space yet.

Downloaded riptide today, the graphics were top notch and no lag at all...also you guys should check out Dead Trigger its really sweet.

Tried Shadow Gun and Front Line Commando both very good with excellent gfx.

Lol this thing SEEMS to destroy my tegra 3 tablet in gaming. Ultra smooth

Nova3 is awesome on this phone! Super nice graphics. Looked weird on my Atrix4g but silky smooth on the GS3LTE

Also tested Mass Effect Infiltrator with fantastic results.

Downloaded the new Dead Trigger today. Works well with my sixaxis PS3 controller and the game runs like butter! Crazy graphics that rival the ps Vita. Seriously.

Numerous other quotes like those as well through all the pages. Real-world gaming experiences trump synthetic, not-even-on-the-screen benchmarks like GL Egypt sir ;).

Yes, skip the majority comments off choppiness and lag.

And if what you care about a phone is battery life and usability and basic functionality, I'm sorry, but it's that what an iPhone or other smart_esque feature phone for? (And the iPhone does game)

Yes, skip the majority comments off choppiness and lag.

And if what you care about a phone is battery life and usability and basic functionality, I'm sorry, but it's that what an iPhone or other smart_esque feature phone for? (And the iPhone does game)

Actually, those were all the first comments off the first page, nice try. People can go read the link for themselves, though ;). There's a single guy with the international version with a driver bug saying his game was choppy on page 3 (quad-core with the better gpu according to you that should trounce this one).

And no, an iClone is not for smartphone stuff, it's for fashion. Everything is done better by Android phones, let alone the Galaxy S3. Your iLove is showing by the way.

so I just compared an iPhone to a feature phone and yet I'm still an iPhone fanboy... show how extremely fanboy you are... rdf

and I'm sure people saying "no lag" on the first page without any data to back up those claims is a good benchmark... isn't it like saying that Chicago style hotdog tastes healthy?

and I don't know how you and I could have read the thread that different... all I read is some people find it choppy.

Maybe you should mosey on down to a store and actually try out the device in person before you complain about lag and choppiness, neither of which I experienced when I handled the device.

Maybe you should mosey on down to a store and actually try out the device in person before you complain about lag and choppiness, neither of which I experienced when I handled the device.
Yes, download a game on the phone at the store...

The HTC One I played with at Tmobile the other day was smooth as butter. Having fought with my samsung devices for the past couple years but loving my ancient yet still viable HD2 the next phone I go with will be HTC. The community blows away the samsung community--and that's what this android thing is all about to me. There's no point in touting customization if people aren't going to either roll their own or simply throw cm on the phone and leave it at that.

and you compared it to the international version how???

subjective testing without any evidence to back it up... that is hilarious! what a joke!

I don't have to, comparing it to my overclocked Epic 4G Touch running the same Mali-400 GPU architecture as the GSIII side by side showed the US version is more than capable of playing games. What I find hilarious is that you make baseless accusations on gaming ability when you won't walk into a store and try it for yourself.

and nova 3 is suddenly the best game to test a phone with... it's almost like mobile crysis... NOT! Sadly, there is no Android equivalent of a "mobile crysis" for obvious reasons. No android device until the international SGS3 is capable of running Epic's Infinity Blade (just an example). I wish of the day where we can tell Apple fanboys that we have better games.

BTW, no where did I say the US variant isn't a capable device. But in the PC world, an Intel's two year old mobo with integrated graphics is also capable... I can watch flash movies.. But can I play crysis at 720p?

And just to inform you, the Mali-400 in the S2 is a dual-core gpu where as the one in the S3 is a quad-core gpu.

Last edited:
No Android device is able to run Infinity Blade period because Epic refuses to code for the platform period. I think you're out of your mind if you think the mali-400/mp4 would be able to do the same at 720p (nice strawman by comparing it to integrated Intel graphics :rolleyes:). If you're looking for something on par with Infinity blade then you should look for games developed using Unreal Engine 3 such as Dark Meadow and the upcoming games from gameloft. Even if the gpu in the international version was more capable, do you really think game developers are going to push the limits of that GPU to target a fraction of users? Of course not, they'll go for the largest user base which covers Adreno 225.

I easily got through a 16 hr day with battery to spare . I was mostly on WiFi though... very little LTE.

No Android device is able to run Infinity Blade period because Epic refuses to code for the platform period. I think you're out of your mind if you think the mali-400/mp4 would be able to do the same at 720p (nice strawman by comparing it to integrated Intel graphics :rolleyes:). If you're looking for something on par with Infinity blade then you should look for games developed using Unreal Engine 3 such as Dark Meadow and the upcoming games from gameloft. Even if the gpu in the international version was more capable, do you really think game developers are going to push the limits of that GPU to target a fraction of users? Of course not, they'll go for the largest user base which covers Adreno 225.
it's a legitimate comparison because Windows 7 runs "smooth as butter" on my laptop from 2007 with whatever Intel integrated graphics. Netflix plays without a hitch in HD. I can play Quake 3 at more than 50 fps at 720p screen. And I'm sure that integrated Intel graphics is probably the majority of all computers. A strong CPU with a weak GPU. How could I not make this comparison?

The difference is that that exynos 4 quad already a very strong CPU (just slightly lesser) but with the top on the line GPU that the S4 can't even compete with. It's like having a first generation Core i5 integrated with current generation AMD graphics vs a third gen Core i3 with Intel GMA both built at the same die size.

BTW, the rumor mill is suggesting that Apple will be using the Exynos 4 Quad. So I'm excited that we finally have hardware that caught up to Apple's in every aspect of the way - and released months ahead. There shall be no excuses. So I wish every flagship device matches the Exynos 4 Quad or better in all aspects.

Sorry but I can't compare products out today with those 6 months down the road, you'd be playing the waiting game forever, especially when you're on verizon and the US GSIII is the last phone you can get subsidzed with unlimited LTE. Speaking of LTE, if we were talking about gaming rigs then sure, of course you'd want the best CPU/GPU combination, but we're talking about cloud connected devices here and that requires LTE support which the international version does not. This might seem fine to you, but I'd say that's a significant flaw especially two years down the road when you're still stuck on a phone on 3G. Gaming on a phone is awesome, but you the media streaming capabilities outweigh a lesser GPU any day.

Sorry but I can't compare products out today with those 6 months down the road, you'd be playing the waiting game forever, especially when you're on verizon and the US GSIII is the last phone you can get subsidzed with unlimited LTE. Speaking of LTE, if we were talking about gaming rigs then sure, of course you'd want the best CPU/GPU combination, but we're talking about cloud connected devices here and that requires LTE support which the international version does not. This might seem fine to you, but I'd say that's a significant flaw especially two years down the road when you're still stuck on a phone on 3G. Gaming on a phone is awesome, but you the media streaming capabilities outweigh a lesser GPU any day.

Qft on all counts.

You're saying 3G speed isn't fast enough. It isn't on Verizon or Sprint. AT&T and T-Mobile has HSPA+. They're both faster than the traditional DSL. Are you saying HSPA+ at 8 Mbps isn't fast enough? You can also talk and browse simultaneously. You can also talk your phone overseas and use it. GSM vs CDMA.

so basically you two are just Verizon blind homers.

I love Android, but just can't buy anything but a Nexus. To me having the newest OS updates direct from Google, is way more important than faster hardware.

I have Jellybean running fully stable and fast the 2nd day it was leaked. Did the Galaxy S3 have that option ? Sure they will get CM10, but when ? I am sorry, but pure Android 4.1 JB, is way better than Touchwizz.

Phones are so fast already, to me software trumps hardware now.

Last edited:
I love Android, but just can't buy anything but a Nexus. To me having the newest OS updates direct from Google, is way more important than faster hardware.

I have Jellybean running fully stable and fast the 2nd day it was leaked. Did the Galaxy S3 have that option ? Sure they will get CM10, but when ? I am sorry, but pure Android 4.1 JB, is way better than Touchwizz.

even though I will still probably get a GS3, this is the truth.

Can't hack screen size or quality, let alone great battery life. Gs3 has jellybean coming soon anyway, and I wouldn't be putting passwords, contacts, personal notes, etc into an unknown rom that I didn't make myself.... talk about a gaping security hole!! Wanting so called pure android is an opinion as to being better or not. It is just different.

Can't hack screen size or quality, let alone great battery life. Gs3 has jellybean coming soon anyway, and I wouldn't be putting passwords, contacts, personal notes, etc into an unknown rom that I didn't make myself.... talk about a gaping security hole!! Wanting so called pure android is an opinion as to being better or not. It is just different.
So you're willing to wait for Jelly Bean who knows when but not a Nexus which we know will launch in November? My Epic Touch (GS2) doesn't even have official ICS yet and how long has it been since it's been out? What a hypocrite! ROFL!

So we can agree that the Galaxy Nexus is already better or equivalent to the the GS3 with the exception of CPU and camera... Um... why speed more than $700 minimum over 2 year?

So you're willing to wait for Jelly Bean who knows when but not a Nexus which we know will launch in November? My Epic Touch (GS2) doesn't even have official ICS yet and how long has it been since it's been out? What a hypocrite! ROFL!

So we can agree that the Galaxy Nexus is already better or equivalent to the the GS3 with the exception of CPU and camera... Um... why speed more than $700 minimum over 2 year?

No, the Galaxy S3 comes out to me in a day or two (it's shipping soon) ;), I'll be enjoying my phone just fine with MANY superior features (listed in paragraph below) with 4.0.4 TouchWiz. JellyBean is a bonus, and has been promised for Q3 2012, nothing I need, just a nicety. Also, the Nexus hacked JellyBean is not an official release, you'd be a fool to use it other than for fun in an emulator or whatnot unless you don't care about security at all such as passwords, bank #'s, phone #'s, contacts, etc.

Please use your head prior to rofl'ing, you just look silly on the floor otherwise.

P.S. Galaxy Nexus has a WORSE camera, battery life, cpu, ram, screen quality, screen brightness, and screen size compared to the Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE. Go look at some comparison charts if you don't know how to compare the specs yourself ;).

Same RAM (when compared to the international version)
Slightly smaller screen with greater PPI (bonus to me) and the same Pentile HD Super AMOLED
Battery life on on GSM non-LTE version is pretty good.

Camera and CPU already mentioned.

Since you're saying you don't need Jelly Bean, promise me that you'll never update. Thank you. If you're going to make stupid statements like that, follow through.

Same RAM
Slightly smaller screen with greater PPI (bonus to me) and the same Pentile HD Super AMOLED
Battery life on on GSM non-LTE version is pretty good.

Camera and CPU already mentioned.

Wrong.

Galaxy nexus RAM: 1.0gb
Galaxy S3 LTE ram: 2.0gb.

Galaxy nexus screen: 4.6"
Galaxy S3 LTE screen: 4.8"

Galaxy nexus CPU: slower (1.2ghz dual-core)
Galaxy S3 LTE CPU: faster (1.5ghz S4 SnapDragon dual-core)

Galaxy nexus battery life: ~4 hours (http://www.technolog.msnbc.msn.com/...ife-price-you-pay-verizon-galaxy-nexus-118508)
Galaxy S3 LTE battery life: ~10-12 hours per users, 15 hours on LTE per samsung (http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SCH-I535MBBVZW-specs)

Galaxy nexus camera: 5mp, inferior in all regards per users, quality as well
Galaxy S3 LTE camera: 8mp, great user reviews and solid picture quality with 8mp camera

Galaxy nexus weight (verizon): 5.29 ounces, or 150g (http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/16/verizon-galaxy-nexus-review/)
Galaxy S3 LTE (verizon) weight: 4.7 ounces, or 133.24g (http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SCH-I535MBBVZW-specs)

You done spreading complete FUD and misinformation yet?

Since you're saying you don't need Jelly Bean, promise me that you'll never update. Thank you. If you're going to make stupid statements like that, follow through.

Re-read my post, son... I never said I don't want to get it once it's out, just that it's not a need for me to enjoy the device for the time being. Silly straw-man is silly.

Last edited:
Are you suggesting that the international Galaxy S3 has more than 1 GB of RAM?

Are you saying that I said that the CPU and the camera are better in the Galaxy Nexus? (I think I started out saying they're inferior.) Are you also saying that I suggests that the battery in the Galaxy Nexus last longer than in the GS3? (Love how you're using the Verizon's LTE Nexus to skew this debate)

The screen, well, I like more PPI. Just my preference.

Who is spreading FUD?

No once is disputing that the GS3 is better in most ways, but it is that much better? The screen is equal, the ram is equal, and the battery life is good enough especially after Jelly Bean. The CPU? Jelly Bean right now is pretty darn smooth on the Nexus. Don't know when GS3 will officially get JB. And the camera, as everyone know, you should get a DSLR.

The cost of your Verizon 2-year contact cost over $700 more when compared to StraightTalk. Good choice. I can't tell you how to spend your money. Just saying I could use that $700 on to take a vacation. Or get that DSLR...

And, lastly, "JellyBean is a bonus, and has been promised for Q3 2012, nothing I need." Yeah, I expect you to follow through that comment. If you don't, you're just one big hypocrite and FUD spreading Verizon blind homer.

Are you suggesting that the international Galaxy S3 has more than 1 GB of RAM?

Are you saying that I said that the CPU and the camera are better in the Galaxy Nexus? (I think I started out saying they're inferior.) Are you also saying that I suggests that the battery in the Galaxy Nexus last longer than in the GS3? (Love how you're using the Verizon's LTE Nexus to skew this debate)

The screen, well, I like more PPI. Just my preference.

Who is spreading FUD?

No once is disputing that the GS3 is better in most ways, but it is that much better? The screen is equal, the ram is equal, and the battery life is good enough especially after Jelly Bean. The CPU? Jelly Bean right now is pretty darn smooth on the Nexus. Don't know when GS3 will officially get JB. And the camera, as everyone know, you should get a DSLR.

The cost of your Verizon 2-year contact cost over $700 more when compared to StraightTalk. Good choice. I can't tell you how to spend your money. Just saying I could use that $700 on to take a vacation. Or get that DSLR...

And, lastly, "JellyBean is a bonus, and has been promised for Q3 2012, nothing I need." Yeah, I expect you to follow through that comment. If you don't, you're just one big hypocrite and FUD spreading Verizon blind homer.

Nive ninja edits... What I quoted is what I responded to son.

Did no one ever teach you NEED vs. WANT? It seems not!

Nive ninja edits... What I quoted is what I responded to son.

Did no one ever teach you NEED vs. WANT? It seems not!
So now you're going to accuse me of altering what I said about the hardware?

If you don't need something, why do it? So follow through, or else you're a hypocrite who just loves to troll.

So now you're going to accuse me of altering what I said about the hardware?

If you don't need something, why do it? So follow through, or else you're a hypocrite who just loves to troll.

It's not an accusation, I already quoted your original text ;) then edited in the added comment after as a separate quote.

I see you truly don't understand "need" vs. "want", with such basic concepts eluding you I think this discussion is over. You're clearly not here to talk or debate, just incite ;).

Need means I would NEED it to even use the phone. Want means I would like it once available but can use the phone in the meantime, as stated. Ta-ta.

Last edited by a moderator:
GT, just report his posts as trolling and move along. There's no rational discussion to be had here.

As the OP I feel my opinion trumps you all !!!!!

I have to buy my wife a new phone, and instead of the GS3 Which again I could tell NO difference between the dual and quad even playing a couple of games, I am going to get the Nexus for cost reasons.

As the OP I feel my opinion trumps you all !!!!!

I have to buy my wife a new phone, and instead of the GS3 Which again I could tell NO difference between the dual and quad even playing a couple of games, I am going to get the Nexus for cost reasons.

It does!!!! /bows down :) .

Yeah, that's a definite valid reason :D, I've seen the Nexus on contract for as cheap as free to $50 :). Neither phone is going to disappoint anyone, regardless. Thanks for the thoughts on dual vs quad GS3.

GT, just report his posts as trolling and move along. There's no rational discussion to be had here.
looks like the op listened to logic. the victor emerges.

here's the reason why games in the Nexus and the GS3 feel the same:
omap4's gpu is comparable to S4's.
most android games are not designed to be graphically intensive due to support for low end devices.

p.s. still don't know why anyone would say he doesn't need something and yet takes it anyway. that's what I call trolling.

Last edited:
So i'm new to android coming from iphone. I'm have a weird problem. There are these apps that keep showing up on my homepage. They link to the web. They automatically install and have been even pushing widgets out of the way. Is this a virus or malware?

I've tried avast and avg and they didn't find anything.

You downloaded an app that is pushing you adds, its typically found on those "free" mp3 programs.

these aren't malware, your virus protection won't find anything, also I find defender is the better anti-virus for android

Does uninstalling the app get rid of it? i think it might be the live wallpaper app i downloaded. I uninstalled all of them. Got to wait and see if they show up again.

Back