Just played with the GS3 !!!

ExplodingTaco

2[H]4U
Although this is a just based on 30 minutes or so . . . It is the best phone I have ever used. I like the HTC One X but this just moves it to another level. Amazing devise. This will be my next phone.

I have an upgrade coming and I have been seriously considering splurging for this so I can keep my unlimited data for another 2 years on Verizon.

Any comments on this vs. the Droid RAZR (probably the other one I would consider)? Is the bigger size an issue?

I have an upgrade coming and I have been seriously considering splurging for this so I can keep my unlimited data for another 2 years on Verizon.

Any comments on this vs. the Droid RAZR (probably the other one I would consider)? Is the bigger size an issue?

The bigger size is not noticeable, and this phone is in an entire different league than the Razor. The razor feels bigger than it is and it is nowhere near as fast. The samsung software is also just more refined. I would have chosen the HTC One X yesterday; Today it is the GS3 hands down.

Lol Op u srs?

Which one did you get to use? international or the US variant?

Both, I could not tell the difference.

Any specifics as to why you are so excited or what moved you about the GS3?

The phone is lightning fast but same basic speed as One X (as would be expected.) The screen looks phenomenal, but I've seen. Side by side with the 4s and one x it was just better. The design is sleek and functional. But most of all i like the software. It will take more than 30 min to be sure but it was the most refined OS I have used. It is one of those devices that is greater than the sum of its parts. You will have to play with one.

I played with the Sprint version too, it's very smooth and ergonomic, fits right in your hand. Could not get it to lag at all, and browsing is like day and night compared to the GSII not that the previous version was bad, its just that much better ;)

Totally agreed OP. The SGSIII takes Android to a new level. It is the smoothest smartphone I've ever used, ever. Even smoother than iOS based iPhone 4S. iOS is known for UI smoothness, but SGSIII is even smoother than that.

The SGSIII is a huge upgrade from the SGSII. You have to use it first to understand what I'm saying.

Are you guys talking about the international Quad Core version ? Wonder how the dual core U.S. version will feel just as slick and smooth ?

Talking about the U.S. version. Should be just as smooth, my Galaxy GS2 is smooth as butter and the processor on this GS3 is superior.

My Brother's iPhone4 contract is up now after 2 years. He is looking to make the jump to Android. Is the new Galaxy S3 a good upgrade compared to his iPhone4 ? In layman terms, what does the S3 do better or offer, over the i4 ?

My Brother's iPhone4 contract is up now after 2 years. He is looking to make the jump to Android. Is the new Galaxy S3 a good upgrade compared to his iPhone4 ? In layman terms, what does the S3 do better or offer, over the i4 ?

In layman terms, everything. Being a bit more specific, 4g speeds, bigger screen, a better than siri alternative (though apparently still lackluster) better google services support, better battery life, better notifications and customization, flah, navigation, international support (for verizon in the coming months).

Ok, so which is the preferred color then? Blue or White??

Cake or Pie? Chocolate or Vanilla?

I'm not sure exactly what you expected as an answer.

Myself I went with blue. My wife got a white one.

I'd snap this up if it were a Nexus phone. Nexus or nothing. Can't wait to see what they come up with to replace my Galaxy Nexus.

Hehehe I have to make a decision, but I may be out of luck and be forced to choose blue, depending on how Sprint has it set up anyway. I just know I want the s3 with the 32...

I'd snap this up if it were a Nexus phone. Nexus or nothing. Can't wait to see what they come up with to replace my Galaxy Nexus.

FTW :) For me the only Android phone is the "Nexus" brand, and with the Nexus-5.0 due out in just a few months, I much rather wait for that, than get locked into the S3. Plus Touchwizz yuck

Where is this Nexus 5.0 official announcement?

Nothing official, but latest word is big release Nov 5th, selling directly from the Google Play/Market store. 3 different "Nexus" phones releasing at the same time from the top Android manufactures. Most likely Samsung...HTC...and ? Google I/O end of this month should give us a early preview of Android 5.0 Jellybean.

October will be the month Google officially previews the new Nexus line.

Nothing official, but latest word is big release Nov 5th, selling directly from the Google Play/Market store. 3 different "Nexus" phones releasing at the same time from the top Android manufactures. Most likely Samsung...HTC...and ? Google I/O end of this month should give us a early preview of Android 5.0 Jellybean.

October will be the month Google officially previews the new Nexus line.

I hope they fix the only complaint I have about my Galaxy Nexus......Add a Gorilla Glass screen.

How does the S3 screen compare to the galaxy nexus?
I really want to switch to android and specifically S3 for my next phone but I hated the screen on the galaxy nexus.
It always seem really dim and grainy compared to my iphone 4 when browsing dense sites with white background.
I'm really hoping the S3 is better.

I wonder if the smoothness has something to do with the international version having a way better GPU although still not better than the one on the 4S. I really doubt that it could be smoother than the iOS, or even WP (btw, can't wait for the announcement next week).

The US versions uses the Snapdragon S4, which has a pathetic GPU in the Adreno 225. If it is the GPU hardware acceleration on the new Exynos, I really doubt that the US versions would be as "smooth." However, the US versions can crunch more numbers...

So is AMD and Apple right? Is having a superior GPU more important than having a superior CPU in the mobile world?

I'm going to wait for the Snapdragon S4 Pro or Prime, or whatever that has something better or equivalent to the Adreno 320 GPU.

How does the S3 screen compare to the galaxy nexus?
I really want to switch to android and specifically S3 for my next phone but I hated the screen on the galaxy nexus.
It always seem really dim and grainy compared to my iphone 4 when browsing dense sites with white background.
I'm really hoping the S3 is better.
It's the same screen.

Seriously, if you want the best screen, get a LG HD phone, but only if you intend on using stock.

If HTC One X has the LG's HD screen, it'll be a no brainer, have my money HTC!

But that is not the case! HTC One X's screen is better, but not that much better than the one in the Nexus Galaxy or the GS3. Pretty much nothing in the One X is that much better than the GS3. If I were to buy a phone today on AT&T, I'll get the One X, due to it having the international design and is slightly better in the screen and the camera. If I were to buy a phone on Sprint, I'll be getting the GS3 due to it retaining the international design, and having more accessories, cheaper repairs, and likely "world-capabilities" out-weighs all the slight hardware pros that the Evo LTE has.

I run one of the many awesome custom roms on my Galaxy Nexus. I get amazing battery life, and the rom has built in color adjustments for the screen. I can adjust every aspect of my screen. Fully customizable. The screen on my GN is the best looking screen I've ever seen with the proper settings. My only complaint is that it can be scratched easily compared to a phone with Gorilla Glass or a similar tech.

The GS3 screen is a quite a bit brighter than the Nexus, esp at 50% brightness which is what most people run at. Frankly both the GS3 and new Evo have great screen which most people will be happy with.

They changed the screen so that the subpixels are closer together compared to the on on the Galaxy Nexus, so yes is better. Still the screen on the HOX is the best screen on the market IMO. According to Anandtechs benchies the A15-like core excels in CPU heavy tasks, fasther than both the iphone 4s and Tegra 3/Exynos in sunspider etc, while the Exynos Mali is better for GPU intensive tasks. What does that mean in real world application? It probably balances out in the end, however I'd rather have a stronger CPU than GPU.

sigh, I WAS eligible for my upgrade in july, then I deployed and now it reads as FEB!!

I'm going into AT&T tomorrow and seeing if I can get that back dated, won't be TOO upset since I didn't pay for those months and they were kind enough to put me on hold with a simple phone call :D

What does that mean in real world application? It probably balances out in the end, however I'd rather have a stronger CPU than GPU.
In realty it means nothing at all because 99% of mobile phone users use their phone to make calls, check email, post to twitter and Facebook, and occasionally do one of the other million things the phone can do.

On a personal note, if someone is running numerical modeling or encoding video on their phone, or attempting to play any decent game worth playing on the tiny screen, then I pity them.

In realty it means nothing at all because 99% of mobile phone users use their phone to make calls, check email, post to twitter and Facebook, and occasionally do one of the other million things the phone can do.

On a personal note, if someone is running numerical modeling or encoding video on their phone, or attempting to play any decent game worth playing on the tiny screen, then I pity them.

All i really care about is user experience. The reason i don't like android is although it is plenty fast it is not smooth so it feels slow. the new crop of phones fixes this. ultimately as long is there is no appreciable lag, who cares how fast it is.

Real question is: Where the hell is a high-powered Windows phone for Verizon? I want that. So sick of my iPhone 4 with it's awful ass battery that drains faster than a sink with barely any water in it.

Real question is: Where the hell is a high-powered Windows phone for Verizon? I want that. So sick of my iPhone 4 with it's awful ass battery that drains faster than a sink with barely any water in it.

I was at a conference in Denmark last week and one of my colleagues has the iPhone 4S while I have the Lumia 900. We are both on ATT and thus we were both roaming on TDC or whatever it was with data enabled. We both used email throughout the day and we both have a weather app that pulls weather data however often. We both did some light web browsing.

Both of us had our phones charged overnight and left the hotel on a full charge at 7:30am. By 7 pm his phone needed to be charged and he had to pull out his laptop to do that. The Lumia 900 was at around 90%.

BTW, even though I had the Lumia unlocked I decided to just keep it on ATT and do international roaming to keep my number and not give my personal data incl. passport number to some EU phone company.

I was at a conference in Denmark last week and one of my colleagues has the iPhone 4S while I have the Lumia 900. We are both on ATT and thus we were both roaming on TDC or whatever it was with data enabled. We both used email throughout the day and we both have a weather app that pulls weather data however often. We both did some light web browsing.

Both of us had our phones charged overnight and left the hotel on a full charge at 7:30am. By 7 pm his phone needed to be charged and he had to pull out his laptop to do that. The Lumia 900 was at around 90%.

BTW, even though I had the Lumia unlocked I decided to just keep it on ATT and do international roaming to keep my number and not give my personal data incl. passport number to some EU phone company.

Damn, 90%? I leave my house and stream music in my car, by the time I'm at the office, I'm at 92%. Ridiculous. I only have a 20 minute commute FYI. I don't even want to update my phone to the latest "hot fix" since people are reporting even worse battery issues. Only 4 more months until I can upgrade and get rid of this thing.

Damn, 90%? I leave my house and stream music in my car, by the time I'm at the office, I'm at 92%. Ridiculous. I only have a 20 minute commute FYI. I don't even want to update my phone to the latest "hot fix" since people are reporting even worse battery issues. Only 4 more months until I can upgrade and get rid of this thing.

How bizarre. I know we are a little OT here but that's a Lumia 900 you are talking about?
Mine was made in Korea and reads

Model 900.1
FCC ID QMNRM-808
IC 661X-RM808

I charge it about ever third night.
On a recent flight I played music (not streamed) for about 4 hours and it barely made a dent in the battery life (unit was set to airplane mode).

Maybe what's killing your battery life is that your unit is constantly scanning for new WiFi connections? I have WiFi off unless I am at a location where I know to have WiFi access and then I turn it on.

I've been following phone tech like a lurker for years and years. This is going to be my first phone definitely. It's got a Wolfson DAC in it right? i.e., voodoo capable?

Back