Just Ordered My Westinghouse L2410NM!!

is the top of the monitor suppose to be putting out a lot of heat? my monitor smells like it is burning! anyone else experiencing this?

I definitely had a lot of heat coming off mine. I could feel it heating up my place when I had it on for extended play sessions. I ended up returning mine because of my previous issues, so hopefully yours will be better.

I did try the Gateway FHD2400, but the colors were too dark and couldn't be adjusted on my computer for some reason. I had the newest release of their tune software and the newest video drivers for my 8800's, but I couldn't tweak it. I am not one to understand manually tweaking it through the OSD, so I upgraded to an HP w2408h and love it. I do miss not having component connections and decent speakers, but this one doesn't kick out anywhere near as much heat and seems to work better with my Xbox. And the stand is sturdy too!! I think I finally have a 24" I am happy with.

Im using my westy as a PC display and also as a display for the Xbox 360 via the VGA port.
The PC looks fine (just desktop apps) but Im having problems with the 360.

Im finding that while bright games/scenes look good, games that are dark are horribly crushed to black. I cannot seem to correct this (no gamma control on the display as far as I can see (fw:1.1)) and most games have no gamma controls of their own.

Is there anything I can do to help deal with the black crush? A hidden service menu perhaps? I have read several reviews that say this is an inherent problem with this display, but I was hoping that some calibration advice might help alleviate things somewhat.

Thanks!
-Steve

I've run through all the basic troubleshooting with ATI support and they've now told me to come to the forums to find a solution...

The problem:

Over the HDMI connection:

1) Colours appear washed out, or overly bright.
2) Text is difficult to read/ annoying/ blinding after long use.

Here's the story:

I've had this problem since December when I bought a new Westinghouse L2410NM 24" monitor:

http://www.westinghousedigital.com/details.aspx?itemnum=105

The monitor has both HDMI and DSUB connections, and I noticed that the DSUB looked strikingly better at reproducing colours and also made fine text much more readable when hooked up to my HD2600XT.

Interestingly, the same problem occurred with a Nvidia 8400GS i also had around. (The HDMI connection had the exact same poor image quality as the hd2600xt). However, I was able to fix this using the following driver hack:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=58483&view=findpost&p=330319

Which involved editing an .inf file before installing the Forceware drivers.

Finally the Nvidia 8400GS was displaying perfect image quality over HDMI, unfortunately, my more expensive HD2600XT is still not capable of giving me good HDMI image quality.

Can anyone offer a suggestion how I might modify the Catalyst drivers to get my HDMI quality on par with my Nvidia card, or even the DSUB from the same card?

I have uploaded a full size demonstration of the difference between the HDMI image quality vs the DSUB image quality here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CXNIHYOS

Smaller versions can be found below

Take notice to:

1) How the colours change within the different lands on the map.

2) How the black text on the left side is much easier to read on the DSUB picture.

I've also found another person who is having the exact same issue with this same combo of video card and monitor:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=13142644#post13142644

DSUB

HDMI

bobbyr,

That looks like the sharpness is cranked WAY up on the monitor. Play with that control when in HDMI and see if it helps.

I found that in 1920x1200 the default sharpness was fine, but at 1920x1080, the text was blurred and overly smoothed out. Changed the sharpness to one stronger and boom, better text.

It's hard to make it out from your picture, but it definitely looks like a sharpness control issue.

Regards,

10e

So I am getting this weird flicker - yesterday after the monitor was on for several hours, it just went black for a few seconds and came back on. Minutes later it did the same thing for about 2 seconds. Do you think this is an overheating issue, or something potentially serious? Been using it since Early January, and mainly over vga.

Hoping to not deal with customer support...

So I am getting this weird flicker - yesterday after the monitor was on for several hours, it just went black for a few seconds and came back on. Minutes later it did the same thing for about 2 seconds. Do you think this is an overheating issue, or something potentially serious? Been using it since Early January, and mainly over vga.

Hoping to not deal with customer support...

I had that issue with one of my monitors for a while, eventually the unit died after maybe 3 weeks of use. I also noticed that the unit was making this electrical static sound intermittently

I had that issue with one of my monitors for a while, eventually the unit died after maybe 3 weeks of use. I also noticed that the unit was making this electrical static sound intermittently

Did they get you a replacement? How long was the turnaround?

Anyone try playing warcraft III on this thing? I'm setting it for 1280 x 1024 (max resolution) and the image looks squeezed. This is with "normal" settings. Putting it at 1024 x 768 looks better but more pixelated.

Try getting the video card to do the scaling. It will result in a slightly fuzzier, but smoother image.

It's usually in the nVidia or ATI control panel/Control Centre. You select "use video card scaling"

That will help in this situation. I found that the L2410NM was pretty good at sizing these resolutions, but at that point, interpolation quality can become questionable.

Regards,

10e

Try getting the video card to do the scaling. It will result in a slightly fuzzier, but smoother image.

It's usually in the nVidia or ATI control panel/Control Centre. You select "use video card scaling"

That will help in this situation. I found that the L2410NM was pretty good at sizing these resolutions, but at that point, interpolation quality can become questionable.

Regards,

10e
mmm yeah i tried every setting but to no avail.

I've run through all the basic troubleshooting with ATI support and they've now told me to come to the forums to find a solution...

The problem:

Over the HDMI connection:

1) Colours appear washed out, or overly bright.
2) Text is difficult to read/ annoying/ blinding after long use.

Here's the story:

I've had this problem since December when I bought a new Westinghouse L2410NM 24" monitor:

http://www.westinghousedigital.com/details.aspx?itemnum=105

The monitor has both HDMI and DSUB connections, and I noticed that the DSUB looked strikingly better at reproducing colours and also made fine text much more readable when hooked up to my HD2600XT.

Interestingly, the same problem occurred with a Nvidia 8400GS i also had around. (The HDMI connection had the exact same poor image quality as the hd2600xt). However, I was able to fix this using the following driver hack:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=58483&view=findpost&p=330319

Which involved editing an .inf file before installing the Forceware drivers.

Finally the Nvidia 8400GS was displaying perfect image quality over HDMI, unfortunately, my more expensive HD2600XT is still not capable of giving me good HDMI image quality.

Can anyone offer a suggestion how I might modify the Catalyst drivers to get my HDMI quality on par with my Nvidia card, or even the DSUB from the same card?

I have uploaded a full size demonstration of the difference between the HDMI image quality vs the DSUB image quality here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CXNIHYOS

Smaller versions can be found below

Take notice to:

1) How the colours change within the different lands on the map.

2) How the black text on the left side is much easier to read on the DSUB picture.

I've also found another person who is having the exact same issue with this same combo of video card and monitor:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=13142644#post13142644

DSUB

HDMI

I have discovered a partial solution for the problem: (fixes the image quality over HDMI, but breks audio over HDMI).

In researching the problem, I found others having a curiously similar problem, and the belief was that the ATI dvi-hdmi dongle was outputing Video levels=16-236 instead of PC levels=0-255.

Following another's recommendation, I bought a generic dvi-hdmi dongle; I then attached it, restarted the computer, and then witnessed that the colours were FINALLY as they should appear. The HDMI connection now matches the same image quality as the DSUB connection and that of an Nvidia card's HDMI output.

However, because of this fix, you will lose the ability to send aduio over HDMI.

Thanks to all who helped me by providing input, and I hope this information helps anyone else experiencing the same problem.

Pardon my English,

But, shit if I had known you were using that god forsaken ATI HDMI dongle I would have told you to get a real DVI to HDMI cable. That thing causes so much "chroma" noise in the picture that things just look 120% awful.

I have NEVER had anything less than AWFUL results with that thing on 5 different screens at any resolution.

Never use it. Ever. It's crap.

Toss it back in the vid card's box and never even think of using it again.

I hope I've made how I feel clear :)

10e

Hi guys,

Iv'e had this monitor for about almost a year now, i bought it at BB for $379 when they had a holiday sale. So far i havent had not 1 issue with this, the picture is very bright and tack sharp (using HDMI) The cable is a cheap $15 cable made by PPI from Frys that has a HDMI on one end and DVI on the other. It rivals pretty much the apple displays as far as sharpness and brightness. I'd give a 5 star. It does however put out a bit of heat as someone pointed out, almost as much as a CRT. Knock on wood though, no problems yet. :)

I've had this monitor for about 6 months now, and it looks like it's about to break.

I used the monitor mainly for my computer. It blanked out/turned pink occasionally, but only for a few seconds. Now, it's been pink for a few hours and doesn't look like it'll go back to normal. I tried to test my HDTV and PS3 on it, but It doesn't even detect them anymore.

What can I do? I want to get rid of this POS. I bought this monitor from newegg in december... Doubt they can do anything right?

I've had this monitor for about 6 months now, and it looks like it's about to break.

I used the monitor mainly for my computer. It blanked out/turned pink occasionally, but only for a few seconds. Now, it's been pink for a few hours and doesn't look like it'll go back to normal. I tried to test my HDTV and PS3 on it, but It doesn't even detect them anymore.

What can I do? I want to get rid of this POS. I bought this monitor from newegg in december... Doubt they can do anything right?

There is still warranty on that unit, just send it in and get a new one. I think the warranty was 3 years on this monitor by Westinghouse.

I just got one of these open boxed from new egg for 280 and man it is a sleek monitor. Not a huge monitor buff but I know for damn sure I have seen monitors way worse than this for a hundred bucks more.

I just got one of these open boxed from new egg for 280 and man it is a sleek monitor. Not a huge monitor buff but I know for damn sure I have seen monitors way worse than this for a hundred bucks more.

How did you get it for $280? I'm showing $340.
Man, I want this monitor...

Any dead pixels? I'm pretty hesitant about getting open-box displays on newegg...end up getting something that someone else returned for some reason or another

Open box prices vary. I got two P5n-e sli boards one for 45 the other for 60 both came in the perfect condition and still work today.

The monitor is perfect it had all the new monitor plastic still on it. No dead pix no scratches seriously nothing wrong. If I had batteries I would snap some photo's.

I almost didn't buy it because it was open box but I have over 20 open box products from new egg all of them were in perfectly fine so I said what the hell save me cash. But if you don't need to save the money just get it new....I have an addiction to saving money so much so that I often waste money on stuff I don't need or use becuase it was cheap.

So have had it for 3 days now and it worked fine untill I tried to play BF2 which doesn't support wide screen.

I was using a DVI cable with a HDMI adapter.

When the game started out the screen went off my screen it was way too big. so I exited the game and my resolution was changed on my desktop and it wouldn't change back so I restarted the computer then it wouldn't recognize the HDMI input.

I am running it with component cables now but it only does 1920x1080.

any suggestions?

So have had it for 3 days now and it worked fine untill I tried to play BF2 which doesn't support wide screen.

I was using a DVI cable with a HDMI adapter.

When the game started out the screen went off my screen it was way too big. so I exited the game and my resolution was changed on my desktop and it wouldn't change back so I restarted the computer then it wouldn't recognize the HDMI input.

I am running it with component cables now but it only does 1920x1080.

any suggestions?

Check here:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1030

I used the following game path to get to do 1920x1200, although it is not true 1920x1200:

"C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +widescreen 1 +szx 1920 +szy 1200

For all of you who've had your monitor blank out: Are you using the built-in speakers?

I know this will sound weird, but my monitor will blank out when I have a loud enough sound play through the built-in speakers. It happens with the sound going though the HDMI cable or through the analog audio. Here's how I can make it happen almost every time:

1. Set the monitor volume to 100
2. Set the PC volume to maximum
3. Play this sound: http://www.a1freesoundeffects.com/freesounds5/metalclank.wav

If yours is like mine, the screen will go immediately black and the power LED will go out. After a couple seconds it will come back. I've tried similar sounds and different audio programs to play the sounds.

If you set the PC and/or monitor volume lower it will happen less often, but it will still happen once in a while. If you unplug the audio cable, it will never happen. I've seen this playing games and watching videos as well, this is just a way to make it happen repeatably.

I've had this monitor for a few months, and I loved it until a few days ago. It started to blank out and flicker ( using my ps3 and 360 via hdmi), but only rarely. Now it will flicker, and then flicker, and then flicker increasingly and then the screen goes blue and thats it. VGA, composite, and component work fine. Is it hdcp, or what. I ordered a new hdmi cable, that'll be here Monday. but what can i do. Anyone here with this problem please help, this thread is where I heard about this monitor and why I bought it.

If I need to sent it in... Whats the warranty length, and what do I need? i think I threw out the box and the receipt is somewhere. Can I get a new receipt from Best Buy? edit: found receipt buts it sort of faded, date is readable though.

Its ver. 1.0 by the way.

Mine is doing the same. Some flickering, then a blank out for a sec or two, then fine, rinse/repeat.

Seems to happen when it gets warm in the room, rarely when it is cool.

It may be a bad solder joint, or connection. Or it might be one of the chips or mosfets overheating. At some point Im gonna open it up, resolder all the connectors and add heatsinks and an internal fan.

The blanking out is actually the backlight being turned off, but alot of things can cause this, like a temporary lose of signal on a bad input signal, or overheating in the power supply, etc.

The horrible thing is, this is a fantastic monitor, great panel, great color, but they are GONE. Discontinued and there are no replacements. Allegedly if you send it back to Westinghouse, you will get a TN panel unit back, which is not something I want.

I got mine at Sams Club, and if they had stock left, I could just go get a replacement, but its gone. At least the Sams Club policy is, if it dies and can take it back for a full refund.

But there isn't an alternative available for anything short of DOUBLE the price right now. SO Ill keep it running if I can, and wait for a new MVA panel alternative with HDCP/HDMI to come out.

damn, that sounds like my situation. I dont really have the ability to solder or add fans. Is there anything I can do externally to help prevent this. I think it has something to do with overheating. For now I'll use it and when it blanks out, I'll just turn it off and let it cool.

I love this monitor, everything is great so far, and I dont want to get it replaced by a tn panel. Ughhh. If you can, keep me updated on what or how or anything that you have done to fix this issue. I am getting a replacement hdmi cord, but I dont know if that will work, although the problem has only been while using hdmi, any explanation why that would be?

I also noticed that when i take out the hdmi cord, the plug that goes into the monitor is very hot, the entire plug, not just the metal part. The heat really dissipates through the plug, maybe the hdmi plug on the end is overheating and the signal isn't getting to the monitor when it gets to hot. question mark

edit: Ok so today, I was playing ps3, oblivion, via hdmi. And a loud screaching soudn came from the monitor. I thought it was part of the game at first, but the screen froze. I took out the hdmi cord from the monitor and plugged it back in, same screen and frozen still. Was this just an error with the game or ps3, or was it the issue with the monitor? Seems very odd that it happened while this blank out issue s occuring.

just buy a fan and point it at the back of the monitor it should work. Or you could take that air restrictive covering off the monitor and let it freeball that will help dissipate the heat.

Ill be sure to share what I learn. Ill take pictures, etc.

You could use some kind of small house fan to blow behind the monitor to keep the air moving. But using in an AC room is the best thing.
I noticed that too, the connector is just hot because the controller board etc inside gets very warm. Maybe too much horsepower in too confined a space. But yes, the heat, casuing metal to expand, could have an impact on the HDMI connections. Im wondering if signal failure through the video connector could make the monitor shut off the backlight temporarily? The heated connector could act like a "lousy" connection, and give the HDCP and video signal handshaking a fit.

But for me, it sure is temperature related.

I'm am nearly 100% sure its heay related. I only get this issue if i have the vga or composite on, like say I' watching tv. Then I want to play ps3, and sure enough 15-20 min later flickering. But if the monitor is off and I got straight into ps3/360 works fine for 1-2 hrs before any flicker.

For the time being, heat management seems ot be my best solution. I have a old pc fan I rigged up with a ac adapter, its loud, but it works. Any suggestions as a very quite fan?

ok, I got my new hdmi cord a few days ago and the problem has seemed to go away. The new cord is made by Belkin and has a 80 degree celsius rating. I dont know what my old one was, but I've never heard of the company. So I am hoping that the problem was because the hdmi cord couldn't take the heat.

Recently I have been getting a Yellow Line that runs vertical across the screen on the right side of the monitor (near the edge) Its visible more clearly on whiter backgrounds and less for darker colors.

If I change the Input selection (blue screen) the line becomes thinner and black.

If I turn off the monitor for a couple minutes and back on..the line is gone but appears again after a few minutes of use.

Anyone else have this problem?

I experienced this once (the flickering) playing PS3 with the PS3 heat blowing on the monitor and the room was >80ºF. I've since moved into the basement and it's never happened since. I love the monitor, and its on for 6+hrs straight a day if not double that at times.

I experienced this once (the flickering) playing PS3 with the PS3 heat blowing on the monitor and the room was >80ºF. I've since moved into the basement and it's never happened since. I love the monitor, and its on for 6+hrs straight a day if not double that at times.

i definitely think that its heat related no, heat with the hdmi cable. since I got the ned hdmi cable, I've had no problems at all, and I've used it more than even recently.

Well, just read the whole 30 pages of this thread. I wish I remembered that Hardforum had a place for display discussion, but I already picked this particular model, brand new in box for $270 shipped.

This is my first lcd display, but I am glad I have one with no dead pixels, buzzing, or screendoor problem that everyone is talking about. I really hope this monitor holds up, because everyone's experience with Westinghouse's warranty department seems horrible.

I'm really satisfied with this monitor so far, especially for the price I got. I just hope it lasts.....

Well, just read the whole 30 pages of this thread. I wish I remembered that Hardforum had a place for display discussion, but I already picked this particular model, brand new in box for $270 shipped.

This is my first lcd display, but I am glad I have one with no dead pixels, buzzing, or screendoor problem that everyone is talking about. I really hope this monitor holds up, because everyone's experience with Westinghouse's warranty department seems horrible.

I'm really satisfied with this monitor so far, especially for the price I got. I just hope it lasts.....

just hope it doesn't break. Since this model is gone, they'll send you some crap. But I hope it works out, I love this monitor, and you got it for a good deal, $20 less than what I paid.

Is there anyone with this monitor that has had it working for a long period of time? The most I read on here is one year.

5 months so far. A friend of mine has had his for a year, no problems, used 8+hrs a day.

Back