Just Ordered My Westinghouse L2410NM!!

managed to snag one of these at best buy today for 329. Can't beat it for a 24" price.

Now to find a dvi->hdmi adapter :p

how does this thing compare for gaming? Guy at BB today was saying how Samsung gives much better colors ect. I realize it has a MVA panel but 8ms seems kinda crummy for FPS (which I mainly play) As you can see in my other thread my Samsung today sucks and I unfortunately had a thread asking which is better before but nobody answered. So! lol which is better seriously this time for FPS? In reviews it doesn't sound that impressive http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2141605,00.asp

Well I got this monitor today as well. I'm surprised at how sexy it looks, very nice glossy finish on the bezel and the glass at the bottom is a nice touch. As others have noted, it's way too bright right out of the box. I adjusted the brightness using some online tests here and there involving white points and whatnot ( why isn't there a damn website that has everything all in one place?). Anyway, I'm not an extremely anal person and the monitor is good enough. Please note that this is coming from a fairly average guy.

So far I have only played Far Cry since my x800xt can't really run anything newer at the native res. Of course, Far Cry isn't really a dark game so I don't know about the black levels yet but it did look very nice. I didn't notice the 8ms response time being an issue. I could probably pull off HL2 on the x800 at this res but it's not installed and I probably won't bother.

Overall, for $375 out of the door, it is an excellent purchase. I might tweak some settings for the hell of it, although I probably won't even notice the difference.

P.S. the backlight is even, no cloudiness detected. Good stuff

I think its bestbuy canada only (boxing day sales aka our version of black friday)

I'm happy to get 1:1 over component for my 360 :p

So far not seeing any stuck/dead pixels either

colour me happy :)

Yes, it was only available in Canada for $329.99 as an exclusive Boxing Day sale.

Monitor is amazing thus far. I'm going to examine #2 shortly and run some tests for you guys.

However, for those of you who just purchased yours. Do the following:

- Look in the upper right quadrant of your screen
- Compare it to the other 3 quadrants
- Do you notice any sort of graininess or do your pixels resemble little boxes?

It's quite subtle so look closely to see if you suffer from it or not. Also, anyone have the whine when brightness is below 100? I think I might have it but it's so quiet that I can't even hear it while I'm typing, let alone listening to music.

I'm thinking about upgrading form my Dell 2005FPW to this, seeing the egg has them in the mid 300s, which seems like a steal.

I know my monitor is rated at a 16ms response time, and this is an 8ms, a significant upgrade. But from what I've been reading, people are having ghosting issues? Is this 8ms not true, or is that just the specific individual? Will this response time be better than my dell, because I'm not bothered by any ghosting on that. Thanks.

Yes, it was only available in Canada for $329.99 as an exclusive Boxing Day sale.

Monitor is amazing thus far. I'm going to examine #2 shortly and run some tests for you guys.

However, for those of you who just purchased yours. Do the following:

- Look in the upper right quadrant of your screen
- Compare it to the other 3 quadrants
- Do you notice any sort of graininess or do your pixels resemble little boxes?

It's quite subtle so look closely to see if you suffer from it or not. Also, anyone have the whine when brightness is below 100? I think I might have it but it's so quiet that I can't even hear it while I'm typing, let alone listening to music.

Yep, I got the whine when I turned down the brightness. Apparently this happens at anything other than 100%. It's become background noise now. Wait, there it is again, heh. It's only if I think about it. Also, I have the screen door effect going on as well, but what the hell, i don't pay much attention to that corner of the screen.

I'm thinking about upgrading form my Dell 2005FPW to this, seeing the egg has them in the mid 300s, which seems like a steal.

I know my monitor is rated at a 16ms response time, and this is an 8ms, a significant upgrade. But from what I've been reading, people are having ghosting issues? Is this 8ms not true, or is that just the specific individual? Will this response time be better than my dell, because I'm not bothered by any ghosting on that. Thanks.

You will notice no ghosting if you don't notice it on your 2005FPW.

@skadebo:

Yeah, I'm still debating if the screendoor warrants a return. I don't want to be going back and forth to BestBuy all the damn time, haha.

However, I opened up monitor #2 and it appears the screendoor effect is either much more minimal, or nonexistant. However, this one has a stuck/dead red pixel right in the middle of the screen. Ugh. This one is definitely getting a return. I cannot stand dead/stuck pixels of any kind, hehe.

Monitor #2 doesn't have the whine noise either.

Why must it have a dead pixel? God damnit.

:(

It's official, I love this monitor! I just hooked up my old Playstation from the middle east for kicks and it WORKS! It looks great, heck even the built in speakers are alright, for the job, heh. I guess this screen can take a pal input.

I just bought the L2410NM today from best buy. I noticed that when I watch moives, the image quality is pretty bad, ie. looks fuzzy and pixelated. Especially those in rmvb format. Comming from a 19 inch crt, I thought the picture quality of my dvds would increase and not the other way around.

I've read the first 12 pages or so of this thread and I don't remember hearing anyone complain about their movies looking fuzzy on this monitor, so I don't know if it is because I didn't set up my monitor properly or that dvds are meant for TVs instead. What's weird is that my movies look crappy but my web browser looks fantastic.

Just tried hooking up my ps2 over component cables and fired up FF12 (which is non progressive). This monitor actually does a great job of it. Far better than my vga box i used to use on my old display.

BB:

The Samsung is a downgrade, however, the LG might be considered an upgrade.

You realize the Samsung uses a TN panel I hope.

The Westy you have is MVA.

Didn't realize the Samsung is a TN. Scratch that idea.

Hmmmm.....

Is there any fix for the non-wakeup problem? System in Sig. I guess I *could* use the analog connection, but I really hate the idea of doing that.

No dead pixels, no screendoor effect that I can detect, and no issues with gaming, though I am a casual FPS'er at best. I guess I have to build a new system to match the monitor. <G>

BB

Solution: Set powersave to never shut the monitor down, use the power button instead when I get up from the PC.

Not the best, as the HDD and Processor stay powered up, but it works.

*shrug*

BB

FYI, the blue screen in HDMI mode is caused by the HDCP handshaking that only happens with HDMI. its there on my other 22 inch monitor with HDMI too.

both of my screens flicker blue when the ps3 changes its HD resolution.

Yeah, I've heard the no signal screen is common on other monitors as well. Not strictly a Westinghouse problem.

However, I'm thinking it might be able to be address with a simple firmware update. Perhaps a few emails to Westinghouse by a sizable amount of people and they'll be on well on their way to deciding what they can do about it. Who knows, I could be wrong.

Exchanged both my units today at BestBuy and the 2 new ones don't appear to have the screendoor effect at all and if they do it's so minimal that it can't be seen unless my eyes are literally an inch from the screen. I've essentially convinced myself that it's not there, unlike on my previous unit where it was plain as day that it was highly defective.

Overall, I'm extremely impressed with the monitors and can't wait for my two DVI-to-HDMI cables to come in the mail. Should be here this coming week. Or at least I can hope.

Hey guys, just wanted to chime in on my thoughts with this monitor.

Mine has the screen-door issue on the right side starting about 4 inches in. The best way that I can describe it is like the right side screen is using interlaced video and the left side is using progressive video. For some reason it's more noticeable through component.

In case anyone is wondering, it does support 1080p through component inputs -- I've checked on both an Xbox 360 and a PS3. Hooking up consoles and computers via HDMI is definitely far superior to the analog inputs on the screen, but HD component still looks decent enough.

I'll take some pics of a variety of games and HD modes later on in the week once I get my new system built (in sig :D )

EDIT

I just calibrated all the inputs on my monitor, so here's my settings if anyone else wants to try them:

HDMI:
Brightness 82
Contrast 34

Component:
Brightness 59
Contrast 64

S-Video:
Brightness 61
Contrast 48

Video:
Brightness 61
Contrast 48

VGA:
Brightness 82
Contrast 34

Colors:
R 32
G 32
B 38

Backlight on 82

I do notice the diffraction coating on mine. I don't know if its what you guys are considering the screen door effect. However, I only notice it if I am closer than 24" or so to the monitor.

It DOES make it difficult for photo editing, as I have trouble determining if the grain I see is the screen or in the image until I zoom way in to "pixel peep". Since I got this as a gift, and grandma decided to throw away the box already, :eek: I'm "stuck" with it.

Techx - they were on sale prior to Christmas for 379.00 and some got a mail coupon to work on it. YMMV on the coupon because they say "for regularly priced items only" but sometimes you can bluff/cajole/demand a clerk use the coupon and they'll do it.

BB

Ive actually read most of this thread and havnt found info how on this screen plays with xbox 360?

Ive actually read most of this thread and havnt found info how on this screen plays with xbox 360?

I've tested my 360 through component and VGA since I don't have an HDMI model. Both can output at 1080p, and the VGA output is way more crisp than through component. No real ghosting or lag either: I can still keep up the ol' 4:1 K/D ratio in CoD4 multiplayer and still play Rock Band with zero lag offset. :)

Jediskilz173:

Do you see black bars top and bottom (or can you make the black bars appear top and bottom by picking a 1:1 mapping mode) when inputting 1080p through VGA?

How does 720p look through VGA? Can you get the right aspect ratio for 720p? Bars top and bottom?

I too am curious to know as I have searched the thread but found nothing conclusive.

What I want to know is this, does it offer scaling while still keeping the aspect ratio via hdmi? If I hook up a cable box to it outputting 1080i or 720p, will it scale it with the proper aspect ratio (will it have black bars at the top and bottom)?

I am asking about hdmi specifically as I want to get an hdmi switch with a remote control so I can swap from my media center pc to hd cable from accross the room (have both pc and hd box connected to the hdmi switch).

The monitor will preserve aspect ratios from all inputs except regular video (and maybe s-video?). It has two modes for HD content: Normal (preserves aspect), and Fill (which stretches every side of the image to fill the 16:10 aspect of the monitor. SD material also lets you use the Zoom mode.

There is no 1:1 pixel mapping mode that I've seen for the monitor, so 720p content that doesn't come from a computer will still be stretched even if the aspect ratio is preserved. If you are using it through a computer, you can just have your video card do the scaling instead of the monitor if you want true 1:1 pixel mapping from it.

Here's some comparison pics I just took of my 360. Bear with me on the image quality since I don't have a real digital camera, I had to use my 1080i HDV camera's still mode. :mad:

Click on the images to load a higher-res version.

16x9 Normal Mode (Monitor bezel outlined in red)

16x10 Fill Mode (Monitor bezel outlined in red)

VGA 1080p Normal Mode

Component 1080p Normal Mode

Thanks for the info and taking the time to take pics :)

One last question. Whats with the hdmi sleep issue I keep hearing about? If pc is hooked up to hdmi and it puts the monitor to sleep, does it really go to a blue screen? I will be using a 8800gts if that helps.

Yep, it goes to the standard blue screen that most LCD TV's use if there's no signal. I just set my computer's power settings to never turn off my monitor and use a black screensaver instead.

Thanks for the info and taking the time to take pics :)

One last question. Whats with the hdmi sleep issue I keep hearing about? If pc is hooked up to hdmi and it puts the monitor to sleep, does it really go to a blue screen? I will be using a 8800gts if that helps.

The monitor will preserve aspect ratios from all inputs except regular video (and maybe s-video?). It has two modes for HD content: Normal (preserves aspect), and Fill (which stretches every side of the image to fill the 16:10 aspect of the monitor. SD material also lets you use the Zoom mode.

There is no 1:1 pixel mapping mode that I've seen for the monitor, so 720p content that doesn't come from a computer will still be stretched even if the aspect ratio is preserved. If you are using it through a computer, you can just have your video card do the scaling instead of the monitor if you want true 1:1 pixel mapping from it.

Jedi - you are the man! Thanks for the detailed answer. Good to hear that 720p and 1080p can at least both be displayed in the correct aspect ratio. The colors seem a little different between component and VGA - what is your impression of the two? I would think VGA is superior, but how bad is component, comparatively?

Jedi - you are the man! Thanks for the detailed answer. Good to hear that 720p and 1080p can at least both be displayed in the correct aspect ratio. The colors seem a little different between component and VGA - what is your impression of the two? I would think VGA is superior, but how bad is component, comparatively?

I turned sharpness all the way down on the component input because I don't like my video overly processed, so that's why it doesn't look as sharp as VGA. Honestly, either input looks as good as it's going to get before you start spending over 1.5k on higher-end display equipment.

I review video games, so I have to spend a ton of time sitting in front of HD monitors and be able to 1) pick out fine detail and 2) have good enough response times to have a fun experience -- this Westinghouse fulfills both those requirements for me quite nicely.

Woah.

Looks like crap with the HDMI-to-DVI that just came in the mail.

Anyone want to give me some calibration settings for HDMI-to-DVI? >_>

Even if I could manage to calibrate this (which I'm struggling with) the text still appears to be a bit shoddy on DVI-to-HDMI meanwhile it looked absolutely stunning when hooked up via VGA.

I have ClearType enabled.
What's going on here?

:(

I think the monitor Gods have something against me.

Ok, so I reboot my system after getting some new video drivers and suddely after seeing something in a user posted picture it finally holds true for me.

Monitor #1 is displaying "DVI" in the menu and looks stunning after I quickly calibrated it.
Monitor #2 is displaying "HDMI" in the menu and looks like crap, pretty much.

A quick swap of the ports in the back of the computer and the opposite is true.

WHAT IS GOING ON? This is so flippin' random.
>_>

This is weird as shit.

In control panel it says L2410NM (1 of 2) is connected using DVI (which it is... DVI-to-HDMI cable).
It also says L2410NM (2 of 2) is connected using HDMI, not DVI.

That's why I have such shitty quality on 2 of 2.

Any clue how the hell I'd fix this?

Does this monitor have any sort of build in IR that I could use a universal remote with?

I figure it probably doesn't, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

weird ... my screen doesn't have any defects at all , i got mine a few months ago , my friend recently got one from best buy thou and his makes a hissing noise and has color issues on the top right. he returned his and got a new one but it still has problems on the right side. i guess the recent batch is messed up. I'm happy mine doesn't have any issues.

InFeXiOn: You're using two DVI->HDMI cables?

What graphics card?

I have a Galaxy 8800GT.

In the Nvidia control panel it shows one is hooked up through DVI (looks amazing).
And one is hooked up through HDMI (looks like crap).

They are both hooked up through two DVI-to-HDMI cables.

WTF? :(

The best picture I've gotten using this monitor with the xbox 360 is to set the xbox to output the games at their native 720p resolution, set the monitor to normal scaling to preserve aspect ratio, and turn the sharpness all the way down (or close to it) on the monitor. This makes a big improvment in the picture. Also when I have the xbox at 1080p there is too much aliasing. I also turn the gamma up on the monitor a few points since it crushes blacks a bit at default, turn "DLC" off (it seems to also crush blacks and make the picture have weird contrast) and turn the backlight on the monitor down to about 50-60. If you use the component cables the colors in the picture tend to bleed into each other more and the picture is too soft. Use VGA or HDMI if you have it.

Back