Just Ordered My Westinghouse L2410NM!!

Woooot!! Just got my L2410NM from Newegg!!

Sexy as hell, I tells ya. A HUGH improvement over my 17" laptop screen. 1400x900 gets to be a little small after a white. ;)

The colors are brillant. Whites look pure white, and the blacks are pretty damn close. I have some slight screen leakage on the sides but I really don't care.

Overall, I'm 100% satisfied with this display. 2 thumbs up! :)

*Using a 10' DVI (dual-linked) to HDMI cable. :D*

6500K color, 72 brightness, 50 contrast, 3 sharpness (though I tuned it to 1 and 5 but saw no difference).

Woooot!! Just got my L2410NM from Newegg!!

Sexy as hell, I tells ya. A HUGH improvement over my 17" laptop screen. 1400x900 gets to be a little small after a white. ;)

The colors are brillant. Whites look pure white, and the blacks are pretty damn close. I have some slight screen leakage on the sides but I really don't care.

Overall, I'm 100% satisfied with this display. 2 thumbs up! :)

*Using a 10' DVI (dual-linked) to HDMI cable. :D*

6500K color, 72 brightness, 50 contrast, 3 sharpness (though I tuned it to 1 and 5 but saw no difference).

Did you notice the buzzing sound at all when you lowered your brightness below 98?

Nope, none at all. I even turned the brightness down to 50. Nada.

Extremely pleased! :)

Edit: Wait, there is a slight buzzing noise but that's if I have my head directly up to the side of the display. I'm talking about pressing my ear to the panel.

Nope, none at all. I even turned the brightness down to 50. Nada.

Extremely pleased! :)

Edit: Wait, there is a slight buzzing noise but that's if I have my head directly up to the side of the display. I'm talking about pressing my ear to the panel.

Any idea what the manufacture date is on yours? With the buzzing I'm experiencing, you can't hear it too much when there's ambient noises, but if it's dead silent in the room, it's noticeable.

Man, the state of LCD shopping today is really abysmal. We should not have to constantly worry about defective products.

I just returned the Soyo 24" I had purchased after it developed some problems and I was just not comfortable with its quality. I'm looking for a new 24", I'm willing to spend more than the $300 I spent on the Soyo, and the Westy seems like by far the best option.

However, at this point it seems like the only place to buy it is form Newegg, which has a great price, but a terrible return policy. As I understand it you can only return it if it is defective or has 8 dead pixels. If it buzzes, could you return it?

Also - does BestBuy have a restocking fee on LCDs? I was thinking I could buy one from Newegg, and if it is defective, I'll buy one from Bestbuy and if that one is good I'll just put the defective one in the box from Bestbuy and keep the good one. *sort* of dishonest, but considering the hoops they make us jump through...

Any idea what the manufacture date is on yours? With the buzzing I'm experiencing, you can't hear it too much when there's ambient noises, but if it's dead silent in the room, it's noticeable.

I'll check again later tonight when I get home.

Earlier today I was at fear of deal pixels popping up but that was just tiny particles of that foaming materal that protected the monitor. :eek:

Man, the state of LCD shopping today is really abysmal. We should not have to constantly worry about defective products.

I just returned the Soyo 24" I had purchased after it developed some problems and I was just not comfortable with its quality. I'm looking for a new 24", I'm willing to spend more than the $300 I spent on the Soyo, and the Westy seems like by far the best option.

However, at this point it seems like the only place to buy it is form Newegg, which has a great price, but a terrible return policy. As I understand it you can only return it if it is defective or has 8 dead pixels. If it buzzes, could you return it?

Also - does BestBuy have a restocking fee on LCDs? I was thinking I could buy one from Newegg, and if it is defective, I'll buy one from Bestbuy and if that one is good I'll just put the defective one in the box from Bestbuy and keep the good one. *sort* of dishonest, but considering the hoops they make us jump through...

Yeah... We shouldn't have to buy a product expecting problems to be there and if we experience no problems, feel like we just got "lucky."

Lol.

On a side note, I mailed my $50 MIR today. Hopefully I'll get the money in 8-9 weeks. :/

Best Buy doesnt charge any restocking Fee. I bought a westy 24" and saw 3 deadpixels. Returned it in 3 hours and bought another one which has been pixel free so far. Anyway, the only good deal on this LCD is from newegg.

Or you can wait till BB has some kind of deal going on for it again.

I was looking for some opinions on which monitor would be best for my needs and for the money.

I can get the Soyo for about $285, this Westy for $366 or I can get the LG L246WP for $450. I really don't game at all any more but the monitor will be used for TV and movies a lot. I was looking at getting a LCD TV instead but those seem to be a little out of my price range unless I get a 720p.
I'm asking because I will not have a chance to see any of the monitors before I buy it. Thanks

Westy comes with a 1 year warrenty where as LG comes with a 3 year warrenty. But Westy has component, compsite, HDMI and VGA inputs and has inbuilt shitty speakers.

I'm thinking of ordering a Westy from NewEgg, and if it turns out to be bad, I'll get one from Bestbuy and just put the bad Newegg monitor in the Bestbuy box and return it to bestbuy. That way I pay the Newegg price without having to deal with the newegg return policy.

whadaya think?

Westy comes with a 1 year warrenty where as LG comes with a 3 year warrenty. But Westy has component, compsite, HDMI and VGA inputs and has inbuilt shitty speakers.

The different connections are not very important to me. I use it a lot for TV/Movies, but have everything going into my computer first any way. I did get a Soyo to look at but it had 3-4 dead pixels in the middle of the screen. Even ignoring that, I was not real impressed. I have not had a chance to set it up correctly yet and that might help. I'll probably do that tonight. My Bestbuy has the Westy on display now so I'll stop by and take a good look at it as well.

Well I just picked up a 2410nm from my local BB, just to see how I like it (and if I do, buy it from Newegg). It's gorgeous. There is a hum at <100 brightness though, we'll see if the one from Newegg has it as well.

It'll need some calibration. At default the whites seem to be blown out. I haven't done extensive testing yet though.

Well I just picked up a 2410nm from my local BB, just to see how I like it (and if I do, buy it from Newegg). It's gorgeous. There is a hum at <100 brightness though, we'll see if the one from Newegg has it as well.

It'll need some calibration. At default the whites seem to be blown out. I haven't done extensive testing yet though.

Welcome to the club. :D

I gotta say, Westinghouse sure did their design right. This thing is *pretty*! It's like, I sort of know its too good for me, so every minute it chooses to stick around I'm sort of grateful :)

I'm thinking of ordering a Westy from NewEgg, and if it turns out to be bad, I'll get one from Bestbuy and just put the bad Newegg monitor in the Bestbuy box and return it to bestbuy. That way I pay the Newegg price without having to deal with the newegg return policy.

whadaya think?

Actually quite clever! But be warned... When I worked in retail we would grab the S/N's off the box/unit before it left the store with the customer. This was to prevent something sneaky like this happening. But singe BB is a big chain that just cares about pumping people in and out, they may not even take a look. They might take a quick peak just to make sure you didnt put a few bricks in a box, but as far as looking at the s/n, well....I don't think they keep tract of that stuff. So I'd say this might work 80/20.

I gotta say, Westinghouse sure did their design right. This thing is *pretty*! It's like, I sort of know its too good for me, so every minute it chooses to stick around I'm sort of grateful :)

Yup, like I said, it's one of the best, if not the best, looking 24" I've seen in the market. Looks aside though, have you run into any problems? The buzzing sound in particular? I actually sent you a PM too.

just responded to your PM.

As for the Westy - there is a buzz when volume is lower than 98. An annoying one, actually. It happens in "text" and "Economy" mode as well.I've just kept the monitor at 100 so far.

My DVI->HDMI cord hasn't arrived yet, so I'm running my MBP off DVI-->VGA. The picture looks very clear, but I'm excited to see a digital signal.

Haven't tried my 360 yet. I'll be trying Component when I get a chance. I'll try my Wii as well.

As far as I can tell, no dead pixels, good voltages, and no ghosting.

Hey all,

Just picked this monitor up from BB Canada. Only one dead pixel but at the absolute top right corner (i.e. location 1,1). Did a visual check with Nokia Monitor Test. Read through the entire thread. I do have some questions about some of the issues that have been raised.

I do get a buzzing sound if I turn "Back Light" below 98. (no big deal - my 21" Gateway was a hair louder and that was constant)

Screen door effect - Could anyone post a picture of their desktop with a common wallpaper that would illustrate this. So I can compare mine to it. (Then again since I don't notice it my monitor might not be effected).

However, I have a problem that was not mentioned before. The text on my monitor is sharp, except for when I highlight them or if they are italics. For highlights they look like not all the area around the letters are filled in with the highlighted colour (or double vision) and italics look like there are shadows to the left and right of the letters. This only occurs on on the HDMI input (be it native HDMI or from DVI-D adapter). I do not have this problem with VGA input (probably because VGA has the auto config option). Nor did I have this problem with my Gateway on DVI input.

I am running CAT 8.1 on a ATI 1250 on board chip (M2A-VM HDMI).
Resolution: 1920x1200
Monitor is set to "Normal" i.e. 1:1 mapping
OSD: 1.1
Date Stamp: 2007-08-02
Font type is "Standard"

Attached is a picture of the text issue. Unfortunately, the italics was not illustrated well as the area came out dark in the picture. The non-highlighted text is sharp and the highlighted one is well represented (also see the "1. Plug and Play Monitor" selection.

Thanks,
Dedo

PS - I don't play games so input lag and ghosting is not really issue.

UPDATE:
Returned the monitor. I could not stand the double vision text in HDMI. Was very pronounced on web pages where the text was a little darker than the surroundings. Guess I'll have to stick with my Gateway a little longer.

Well, I have a differing opinion than most in this thread. I recently picked up the L2410NM and was very disappointed. I typically use dark wallpapers on my computer. One in particular has a large black-ish gradient in the background with a silver toroid/ball type thing highlighted with a blue glow. The black gradient looked like mud on the Westy. Heavy color banding. It looked like a dark scene in a movie, poorly compressed with MPEG-2.

The inputs and enclosure were all very nice though. I liked the clear plastic light bar at the bottom too. It reminded me of the Sony Bravia when it had the glass surround. Very classy. The OSD isn't as bad as I expected either. It's actually quite nice. My only complaint is that the buttons all run together, so it's hard to tell which button you are pressing without looking around the side.

For $350, I probably could have tolerated it -- considering that most "decent" 24" displays are still over $500 -- but ultimately, I ended up returning it and getting something else.

Just my $0.02.

Well, I have a differing opinion than most in this thread. I recently picked up the L2410NM and was very disappointed. I typically use dark wallpapers on my computer. One in particular has a large black-ish gradient in the background with a silver toroid/ball type thing highlighted with a blue glow. The black gradient looked like mud on the Westy. Heavy color banding. It looked like a dark scene in a movie, poorly compressed with MPEG-2.

The inputs and enclosure were all very nice though. I liked the clear plastic light bar at the bottom too. It reminded me of the Sony Bravia when it had the glass surround. Very classy. The OSD isn't as bad as I expected either. It's actually quite nice. My only complaint is that the buttons all run together, so it's hard to tell which button you are pressing without looking around the side.

For $350, I probably could have tolerated it -- considering that most "decent" 24" displays are still over $500 -- but ultimately, I ended up returning it and getting something else.

Just my $0.02.

Was this after proper calibration or straight outta the box?

And dedo, I'm not sure what's going on with your problem. I'm still on VGA and waiting for my HDMI to DVI cable so I'll let you know if I have that problem.

I just got my DVI-HDMI cable today and I actually notice very little difference in quality. That is, the VGA looked really good. This is using my Macbook Pro.

I just got my DVI-HDMI cable today and I actually notice very little difference in quality. That is, the VGA looked really good. This is using my Macbook Pro.

Did you notice anything like dedo mentioned above? That's the first time I ever heard of a problem like that on any monitor.

In case it wasn't mentioned yet, starting today BestBuy has this monitor on sale for $360. Think I might finally get this.

No, I never experienced anything like Dedo did.

And wow - I can't believe that NOW Bestbuy puts this thing on sale, right after I went and bought it from Newegg with their shit return policy. Ah well, hopefully I don't have any problems with the newegg monitor.

I just got back from BestBuy with my new L2410NM monitor and I ALMOST love it.

I spent about 15 minutes getting it calibrated. Using the 32-32-38 colors suggested in this thread with 80 brightness and contrast. And I bumped up the gamma in my Nvidia drivers to 80 (still looked like crap until I did that).

There is a screendoor effect in the upper right corner, but I wouldn't of even noticed it until I read what to look for an specifically looked for it. It's a small thing and wouldn't bother me.

I'd absolutely love this monitor if only I was hearing impaired. Maybe a few more years of playing my MP3 player too loud and that will happen. However in the meantime the high pitched buzzing from this monitor at anything under 99 brightness is quite annoying. With the TV and music off, I hear it quite distinctly sitting back three feet away. Unfortunately not quiet enough that I could imagine getting used to it.

I noticed some people claim they don't hear anything from there monitors with lower setting brightness so I'm not sure if they are hearing impaired, in a louder environment or this buzzing noise isn't normal on these monitors. I guess I'll return mine to BestBuy and see if I have better luck with another.

I noticed some people claim they don't hear anything from there monitors with lower setting brightness so I'm not sure if they are hearing impaired, in a louder environment or this buzzing noise isn't normal on these monitors. I guess I'll return mine to BestBuy and see if I have better luck with another.

I've got mine set to 88 brightness (in HDMI) and I hear no buzzing sound at all -- same with the other inputs with varying levels of brightness and backlight. I've got very sensitive hearing so I'd hear it if it's there. It seems that the quality is very inconsistent with this monitor because I've been perfectly happy with mine, while others have had terrible experiences with buzzing, calibration, and dead pixels. It's just the luck of the draw I guess.

Well I took it back to BestBuy. And of course they didn't have any more for replacement. For shiggles I took the monitor to the GeekSquad area for testing. That was a stupid idea in hindsight. The store is so noisy that we couldn't really hear it, so basically got to have a teenager treat me like an idiot and try to convince me buzzing is normal. Haha.

There are some other stores in the city that are a longer drive. Maybe I'll try another monitor tomorrow. SuperBowl is on now, so can't dick around with this anymore.

I'd say its so high pitched that it might mean only those who aren't experiencing high frequency hearing loss (Very normal as you age) would hear it, but it's not THAT high pitched.

Really torn between the Westy L2410NM and the LG L246. I am not so concerned about
features, mainly PQ and build quality. The Westy is certainly cheaper, but I can also get
a good deal on the LG.

Anyway, I have a couple questions about the Westy:

1. How hard is it to implement portrait mode with a third party stand that supports 90 deg
rotation?

2. After re-reading most of this thread, I am confused about 1:1 pixel support. Based on the
display at BB (which is using the d-sub), it would appear that this monitor doesn't truly
support 1:1. The feed was set at 1280x1024 and the "normal" setting only preserved
the aspect ratio, only black bars on the side. Am missing something or is this it?

Really torn between the Westy L2410NM and the LG L246. I am not so concerned about
features, mainly PQ and build quality. The Westy is certainly cheaper, but I can also get
a good deal on the LG.

Anyway, I have a couple questions about the Westy:

1. How hard is it to implement portrait mode with a third party stand that supports 90 deg
rotation?

2. After re-reading most of this thread, I am confused about 1:1 pixel support. Based on the
display at BB (which is using the d-sub), it would appear that this monitor doesn't truly
support 1:1. The feed was set at 1280x1024 and the "normal" setting only preserved
the aspect ratio, only black bars on the side. Am missing something or is this it?

There are 2 thorough threads on these monitors so you're just gonna have to read through everything and see what you like better. At the same price, I'd say get the LG, but the LG clearance price tends to run around $396. Also, you need to consider that the LG is on clearance so stock is running thin nationwide. This means that if you have problems, it'll be hard to get a replacement for the same model either during your 30 days with BB or through LG's warranty down the line. Of course, all these things depend on your location and your BB's stock of monitors. Good luck.

I just got back from BestBuy with my new L2410NM monitor and I ALMOST love it.

I spent about 15 minutes getting it calibrated. Using the 32-32-38 colors suggested in this thread with 80 brightness and contrast. And I bumped up the gamma in my Nvidia drivers to 80 (still looked like crap until I did that).

There is a screendoor effect in the upper right corner, but I wouldn't of even noticed it until I read what to look for an specifically looked for it. It's a small thing and wouldn't bother me.

I'd absolutely love this monitor if only I was hearing impaired. Maybe a few more years of playing my MP3 player too loud and that will happen. However in the meantime the high pitched buzzing from this monitor at anything under 99 brightness is quite annoying. With the TV and music off, I hear it quite distinctly sitting back three feet away. Unfortunately not quiet enough that I could imagine getting used to it.

I was wondering the same thing with the buzzing noise. I thought that the buzzing noise could be a "problem" with every monitor, and maybe it was just that some people were noticing it while others weren't. Well, all I can say is that from everything I've read, and trust me, I've literally read everything there is to read about this monitor online, it seems like the majority DO have this buzzing sound. I can't say whether or not it's a quality control issue since besides the buzzing, my monitor is flawless, but maybe it has something to do with the parts inside (placement, construction, etc).

I was wondering the same thing with the buzzing noise. I thought that the buzzing noise could be a "problem" with every monitor, and maybe it was just that some people were noticing it while others weren't. Well, all I can say is that from everything I've read, and trust me, I've literally read everything there is to read about this monitor online, it seems like the majority DO have this buzzing sound. I can't say whether or not it's a quality control issue since besides the buzzing, my monitor is flawless, but maybe it has something to do with the parts inside (placement, construction, etc).

Yeah, this buzzing isn't good. I have the Samsung 245BW and L2410NM in for comparison. The L2410NM is a tad sharper, with no backlight bleed, but the buzzing just about kills it for me. I have to be able to turn the brightness down. I sent an email to Westinghouse, awaiting their reply.

Back