Just Cause 3

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Hardware' started by Blade-Runner, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Q-BZ

Q-BZ [H]ard as it Gets

Lots of insane fun coming our way here!

2. DPI

DPI Nitpick Police

Too many timesink games all being released so close together! Looking forward to this one, loved Just Cause 2.

3. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones [H]ard|Gawd

Wish I picked this up for $25, its $30 now at CDKeys.

4. Flogger23m

Flogger23m [H]ardForum Junkie

While Just Cause does need to be open world I do miss shorter games. Like Crysis 1. Something that allows you to play a bit differently and you can easily jump in and re-play a mission. Just too little time for so many open world games these days.

5. DPI

DPI Nitpick Police

Seriously. 2015 has definitely been thee year for big budget open worlders.

Witcher 3
    GTA 5
    Mad Max
    MGS V
    Fallout 4
    Assassin's Creed Syndicate
    Just Cause 3

You'd basically have to have no life to play all of them or even most of them.

6. Zorlag

Zorlag Limp Gawd

Dying Light goes to same pile as well I reckon.

7. Flogger23m

Flogger23m [H]ardForum Junkie

And if you want to add in early 2016, Deus Ex (maybe not too open world, but probably ~40 hours) and Tomb Raider. The last Tomb Raider game was a nice length but the new one is open and supposed to be much larger. Even the new Mirror's Edge. Never thought I'd wish for shorter games, but I hate playing a story based game and then shelving it for a week. I forget the story/controls/what I was doing.

8. st4rk

st4rk Gawd

1 original ip...

9. Derangel

Derangel [H]ard as it Gets

Deus Ex isn't coming until August.

10. Cmustang87

Cmustang87 [H]ardness Supreme

None of those are original. Those are all either sequels or games based on other intellectual property.

EDIT: Doesn't make them bad though. Witcher 3is awesome, but it's the only one on that list that I've played.

11. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones [H]ard|Gawd

Its back to $25 on CDKeys if anyone is interested.

I picked mine up today!

12. mr_zen256

mr_zen256 2[H]4U

I'm surprised there hasn't been more activity in this thread. JC3 looks like it's going to be a blast to play. Can't wait until the 1st of December.

First hour gameplay video

13. LurkerLito

LurkerLito 2[H]4U

I am on the fence. I liked JC2 but that darn backlog just keeps growing lol.

14. Q-BZ

Q-BZ [H]ard as it Gets

15. Eshelmen

Eshelmen [H]ardness Supreme

Is this like Garys Mod thrown into a game? Or is story actually useful?
    I'm not really sure if this is one big playground and then the story is just a filler to keep you going?

I've never played the JC series.

16. sblantipodi

sblantipodi 2[H]4U

it seems an interesting game.

17. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones [H]ard|Gawd

I see it in reverse. Hopefully they will do what they did with Mad Max, I'm sure you're not going to get bored, as long as you do a mix of the main missions, side quests and obviously obliteration of camps/items on the map :)

18. Eshelmen

Eshelmen [H]ardness Supreme

In a way it reminds me of Mercenaries.
    Are the similar?

19. crusty_juggler

crusty_juggler [H]ard|Gawd

I feel Just Cause is similar to Mercenaries, yes.

JC2's story was irrelevant to me. I felt the most fun was to be had making things go boom and clearing encampments. Also flying around discovering locations.

So yeah, one giant playground.

20. Disposed

Disposed [H]ardness Supreme

It seems to me that this story is much more serious. I liked the underlying humor in the second game. The story was pretty much awful but it had personality at least.

So on the fence with this game. Stupid backlog. I have a feeling that thanks to so many bad ass games being released this year this will be completely overshadowed and end up super cheap come the spring sale.

21. Q-BZ

Q-BZ [H]ard as it Gets

GMG keys just showed up. Steam preload is already a go.

22. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard as it Gets

23. lee0539

lee0539 [H]ard|Gawd

does sli/crossfire work with this game?

24. Converge

Converge [H]ard|Gawd

Can't wait to try this game out. Always wanted to play the other JC games but never got around to it. I'll be picking this one up on PS4 most likely. If I had a better rig I'd definitely go for PC but I don't atm

25. KickAssCop

KickAssCop [H]ardness Supreme

You missed Dragon Age Inquisition, Dying Light, and Ass Creed Rogue for PC.
    If you count Forza Horizon 2, Rise of Tomb Raider then you have even more games.

26. naticus

naticus [H]ard|Gawd

27. RamonGTP

RamonGTP [H]ardness Supreme

Just ordered it too... Is there anyway to activate this on steam?

28. Derangel

Giant Bomb put up a Quick Look of the PC version of the game and TB was streaming it earlier. It's looking like it'll be pretty good on the PC.

29. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard as it Gets

30. Derangel

That was amazing. I love all the crazy shit you can do in games like this.

31. Stiler

Stiler [H]ardForum Junkie

So from a lot of early impressions I've read it seems like it's more of the same.

Story is virtually non existent/sucks.
    Characters have little/no depth
    Rico's voice actor has changed and not for the better
    Vehicle handling sucks and isn't fun to drive around in
    Rather then the voice acting/writing being humorous and fun it's more try-hard.
    AI is dumber then a box of bricks (See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7724xQLT7A )

It still seems to be a fun game to run around in and do random things, but not the type of game that will hold my attention for a long period of time.

Sounds like a buy really cheap (like 23 bucks at release lol) and have fun with but move on to something better when it comes around.

I wish they put more thought into the story or characters, let you pick your side, make vehicles more fun to play with rather then an afterthought with barebones physics.

32. crusty_juggler

To be completely honest, if they just took everything from the old game, added in some new explosion animations, more destructibles and a different map, it would be a fantastic game.

Looks like they did just that. If it ain't broke, don't explode it I say.
    Sounds good to me!

But yeah, this isn't the game for people who want an engrossing story line. It's for those who wish to plant C4 on things and make them go boom. It's mindless fun.

33. VulcaN

VulcaN [H]ard|Gawd

The story can't be bad, they didn't implement multiplayer mode because they wanted to focus more on the story

34. RamonGTP

RamonGTP [H]ardness Supreme

Sounds like you want the game to be different then what it's intended to be and reading reviews that have that same mentality. Most people who buy JC3 will know what to expect, and I suspect the majority will be just fine with it. JC2 was a blast and you could say the same thing about that game.

35. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

Sounds like a $5 purchase like the last game was, then.

36. Stiler

Stiler [H]ardForum Junkie

There's a difference between having a good open world game that allows you the freedom to do what you want a la Just cause and knows what people enjoy it for and can STILL deliver a memorable story w/fun characters.

Just because the game is meant to be about the freedom and fun of doing what you want doesn't mean they have to intentinally make the story terrible or have unmemorable/unlikable characters.

Look at Far Cry 3, Vas was fucking hilarious and he made the game a lot more memorable because he was such a funny well written character.

It's like 80's/early 90's action movies that know exactly what they are and have fun with it but still actually try to have fun with the story/characters and not just mindless pew pew.

Take for example, Die Hard, Rambo, Running Man, Stone Cold, They live, Commando, I come in Peace, Big Trouble in little China, Robocop, Kickboxer, Beverly Hills Cop, etc. Fun action movies with memorable stories or characters. I enjoy the hell out of them.

Now take The Expendables. Mindless action movies that don't really have a decent story to stand on and characters that are ho hum. I got bored half way through, didn't care to even try to watch the third one. Just people trying to cash in a pay check without even trying to write a story or have memorable characters.

Just Cause 3 seems like the ladder, going through the motion, not even attempting to create a fun memorable story or characters that you can laugh at/with, just barebones.

37. Derangel

Vas was the ONLY part of Far Cry 3's "story" that was worth a damn. He was fun (until they stupidly killed him off) but a single character does not make a good story. The rest of FC3 was just as mindless as Just Cause.

38. yourgrandma

yourgrandma [H]ard|Gawd

As someone who did not enjoy jc2 at all other then the multiplayer this is everything i expected it to be.

Just Cause is as brainless as it gets, the game barely has any AI and the majority of the combat mechanics are extremely dull compared to something like far cry.

Literally the Only appeal to JC is it's large open world 'sandbox' (aka wandering around doing the same 5 missions) even its destruction is still far behind red faction or mercenaries games. The only appeal to this game would have been the multiplayer from what i played in jc2 was a great idea, except they decided to not even bother with it :rolleyes:.

39. Derangel

Credit to the people that put an insane amount of time and effort into making the multiplayer mod but for me is just something to do for a little bit when I was done with the single player of JC2. I'd rather have Just Cause be a single player experience. Personally I have zero interest in multiplayer shit in 99.999999% of games out there anyway.

40. crusty_juggler

I like brainless destruction.

If I want deep story lines, I will (and do) play The Witcher 3. Also, I'm glad the trend of shoehorning multiplayer into every game is seemingly over with. We're seeing a clear divide between single player titles and multiplayer focused ones and I think that's good for both sides.