Jerker Gallery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
wayne said:
i m a lil confused here

what exactly are jerkers?... pieces of tables that you can put together in any way you want like lego? :confused: :confused:
It's a desk from IKEA.

You can get shelves and organiztion units. It's very customizeable.

Mine cost £17.50 from Argos... its made of steel, looks good and is very practical!

well i didnt want to pay 240$ to ship a jerker to my house so i waited patiently for an ikea to open up near massachusetts. finally an ikea opened up in new haven CT so i made a trip down there today and picked up my very own jerker. they didnt have any of the side shelves in stock so i'm shelfless but i picked up this sweet lamp and the dokument tray thingy.

jerker001.jpg

jerker002.jpg

this thing is huge in real life and was worth every penny.

desk.jpg

note: i dont do any computer modding or know much about computers. i just browse here to see what kind of cool stuff you guys are doing.

if you are thinking "wtf is in that box", its my cigar humidor, usually not there. but i put it there because i initially used this same picture to show someone else how my humidor looks. :)

How deep can you get a Jerker. I told my parents I need a desk and a chair and I want to get a jerker I just need to know the deepest in length you can get one because my Viewsonic p220f is a big boy lol. If someone has a link to the jerker specs or knows it off hand it would help. THANKS!! :D

roachm said:
How deep can you get a Jerker. I told my parents I need a desk and a chair and I want to get a jerker I just need to know the deepest in length you can get one because my Viewsonic p220f is a big boy lol. If someone has a link to the jerker specs or knows it off hand it would help. THANKS!! :D
attachment.php

this is definetly a thread from the past, but i would love to see some more pictures of people's jerkers. i am in the market for a new desk this summer, and the jerker is looking like it might be a good choice. it looks massive, i measured my desk, and it is a heck of alot deeper, and quite a bit wider also, i really like the looks of it.

any more pics?

i can take pics of mine but i only have a webcam

EDIT: here are pics, its webcam pics so sorry for bad quality. Also, in the pics, there is a dell, i am using it because i RMAed my mobo so i have to use this POS.
Image006.jpg

Image011.jpg

Image008.jpg

Image007.jpg

Desk was $130, each side shelf was $10 and extra top shelf was $30. i got side shelves because i am going to get bookshelf speakers and they make great stands. if you have any questions, ask me.

They're great so long as you don't put your case on the desk. I use to have dual monitors and thought it was cramped. Of course, I have a lot of useless junk like spindles of dvd, cds, junk mail, plates, forks, etc. all lying around :D

dual monitors? what size, saw this thread and the desks hit the spot but i got dual 21" crt.... can it handle the weight /size?

Max. load: 165 lb might be pushign it close with the monitors..... needless to say i can;t get on there

2 pics of my jerker.

jerker_desktop.jpg

jerker_beneath.jpg

Wire mess underneath has to be dealt with. I took the under pic to show off the neato way of dealing with the power strip mess. I velcro strapped the two surge protectors to the cross member.

~Doc

Why'd they have to name it "Jerker"? They even have a little space in the front cut out as too ease the use of the desk for it's name-sake. I'm in need of a new desk but it has such an embarrasing name....

Does any have a 2405fpw and uses this desk? I'm not so sure on the width. Looks extremely nice otherwise (aside from that horrible name that was either lost in translation or is just a really bad joke)

edit: those added side shelves are enough to support a full case and it doesn't wobble or feel as though it will fall off with a slight bump or nudge? How wide is this desk? I wanted something that will work for the width of my 2405FPW and leave me room for other things.

Since alot of the pics aren't showing (get bandwidth guys!), I'll explain that there are two jerker models mainly. One that has the front elongated U-shape cutout, and the other that's just a large rectangle.

The U version usually comes with at least one top shelf. Both versions can use the side tray attachment.

At least on the rectangular model, which I have, if you want to install the wire management attachment, you have to drill into the desk. True to IKEA form, there are no predrilled holes, so the quality of that drilling is all your responsibility.

I have the black model and it's very neat and sturdy! I have pics up somewhere already...
desk.gif

peacetilence said:
Why'd they have to name it "Jerker"? They even have a little space in the front cut out as too ease the use of the desk for it's name-sake. I'm in need of a new desk but it has such an embarrasing name....

I believe it is Swedish and the J is pronounced more like a Y. In German, the word for "yes" is "ja" and the J is pronounced like the Y in yes. It's like that.

Just found an article in german that talks about the names that IKEA uses. Jerker is a Swedish male name. The desks are all named after men, bathroom articles after lakes and rivers, curtains female names, etc.

Very good read, if you can stand the translated version:

http://translate.google.com/transla...coff=1&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=/language_tools

Learn something new every day! Did you know your brain gets more wrinkled?

Apallohadas said:
Just found an article in german that talks about the names that IKEA uses. Jerker is a Swedish male name. The desks are all named after men, bathroom articles after lakes and rivers, curtains female names, etc.

Very good read, if you can stand the translated version:

http://translate.google.com/transla...coff=1&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=/language_tools

Learn something new every day! Did you know your brain gets more wrinkled?

I gave up trying to understand when I saw the word "unspektakulaerer" which I believe means some kind of cured meat, but might be something a bit less spectacular.

Anyone know if you can get replacement parts, like extra screws and the plastic caps that go on the ends of the support beams? When I moved the movers "somehow" lost some parts. BTW Just so everyone knows according to Ikea the only "add-on" shelves you can buy are painted silver, not matching any of the wood grains that the main desk is. At least when i bought mine in California.

Hmm... I am suprised that no one mention about the table is not made out of real wood(or wood at all?) and I was kind of dissappointed at it but I still got it anyway. I'll post my desk once I get my new monitor.

ssbob said:
Anyone know if you can get replacement parts, like extra screws and the plastic caps that go on the ends of the support beams? When I moved the movers "somehow" lost some parts. BTW Just so everyone knows according to Ikea the only "add-on" shelves you can buy are painted silver, not matching any of the wood grains that the main desk is. At least when i bought mine in California.
Go to Ikea and tell them the parts you're looking for. They should be able to order it for you.

peacetilence said:

Does the name really matter? I know if I get a new piece of furniture in my house, my friends wouldn't ask me what the specific name of it is...they'd just be like "Nice desk!" Or something like that..

I've seen this desk at ikea and I really like it. There's so many different variations to it though, one with a curve one one side, one that's just a flat desk, one with shelves... so many choices!

Gah! Don't let this thread die! Let's bring this puppy back to life. I'm actually in the market for a few Jerkers (normal rectangular) coming the new year! I simply love the simplistic look of this desk! Keep the pics coming!!

All though not the design I was after, the Jerker would fit my needs. Now all I need is an Ikea in my state! I refuse to pay more for shipping than the actual desk. Also how come I can have the big ass box that has the desk shipped to me but not the add on drawers? :confused:

Do they have corner-models at all? My dad needs an affordable desk for his computer, which he wants in the corner, so a corner model is all he'd accept. Any idea?

Thanks.

www.ikea.com

I'm not sure if they do, but if they do have them it'd be on their site. And if they dont have them there, I'm positive that there are some at office max and other places.

DanMattia said:
Do they have corner-models at all? My dad needs an affordable desk for his computer, which he wants in the corner, so a corner model is all he'd accept. Any idea?

Thanks.

Check out the Gallant Series.

yea i always wanted a jerker from waaaay baack in the day but ikea didnt come up to minnesota till the summer i moved into the house i bought and needed to make an extension to the bedroom. well, immediately as we are figuring out how to split up the front porch to make this room and what size the door will be etc, i say look, lets go get the measurements on these jerker desks, cuz if there is one thing thats important to me, a desk has to be wide and DEEP, i hate every desk with a keyboard tray.... real gamers dont use that bs, and i hate desks that may be dep enough but then have drawers built into both side.... im 6'2", i CAN NOT FIT IN THAT SHIT

jerker only for me. originally i woulda preferred the flat rectangle one other folks here have, but then it was TOO wide... for hte room, not for me heh. so the one i have there with the upper shelf and rounded cut was the best bet for depth and width, allowing us to perfectly create the space + the 2 bi 4's and sheetrock + a standard door size purchasable at home depot.

yay for jerkers, i cant belive i never saw this thread before! i wanna take another pic, but that was with my back to the wall. i'll take one from in the other section of the room so it has better dimension.

DanMattia said:

Thanks.

I have the MIKAEL Corner Workstation, very nice. This semester I also went and got a regular MIKAEL desk to add onto my Corner Workstation since my room is bigger. Needless to say my 9 feet of desk puts your Jerkers to shame ;)

I opted for one of the old style jerkers.

jerker.jpg

camera phone image, so it looks like crap, but you get the idea. The intellimouse will soon be replaced. I just wish I could get all these wires out of the way.

peacetilence said:
I opted for one of the old style jerkers.

camera phone image, so it looks like crap, but you get the idea. The intellimouse will soon be replaced. I just wish I could get all these wires out of the way.

What do you mean old style jerkers?

I think its an older model. It's 30 cheaper and offers more horizontal space than the other jerker though it doesn't have the extended bars to add a top shelf nor does it have the front cut out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back