Intel push-pins (RANT!)

legendz411

2[H]4U
What in <insert diety>'s good name was Intel thinking? They take so much damn pressure, it's stupid. Why would they choose such a hard mounting system. Got-dang it. :mad:

The worst part isn't the pressure, it's the fact that I'm terrified my motherboard is going to snap in two.

Srs.

Anyone ever have a mobo. snap on them installing a LGA775 HS/F (stock or otherwise)?

What in <insert diety>'s good name was Intel thinking? They take so much damn pressure, it's stupid. Why would they choose such a hard mounting system. Got-dang it. :mad:

The worst part isn't the pressure, it's the fact that I'm terrified my motherboard is going to snap in two.

Srs.

Anyone ever have a mobo. snap on them installing a LGA775 HS/F (stock or otherwise)?

yea i hear ya..

In the beginning it was extermely difficult for me to remove/remount. Now that i did it so much i got the hang of it.. EZ as 123 now!! :):)

When I installed my Vendetta 2 cooler I thought I was going to break the board in two. The bending isn't even the worst part though. Getting the last two pins to snap into place after doing to first two and then trying to snap the pin inset furthest into the motherboard is a bitch! Now I gotta do it again when my new mobo arrives. Yippie.

Bolt-through mounting bracket for the win.

Except not all HS/Fs have a bolt through :( Unless there is some generic bolt-thro that works for all HS/Fs on LGA775!

The last two are the worst, I agree. The first 2 go in with no problem, then the bending and creaking start.

I can't stand the push-pin system at all. I think its' also insane that this system is used on some of the larger coolers on the market. They require a ridiculous amount of pressure to mount and worse is the fact that they wear out quickly. (A few times mounting, removing and re-mounting them wears them out pretty fast.) I've also had the pins work loose from time to time. I've never had more than two pop out at any given time and they really only did it because the pins were worn, but I just can't get over what a bad design those are.

I prefer a bolt-through system like the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme uses.

I miss the big levers the old s478 P4's had. Those were so easy. They put a lot of scary pressure as well but was much more manageable.

I miss the big levers the old s478 P4's had. Those were so easy. They put a lot of scary pressure as well but was much more manageable.

I hated those too. If they weren't in perfect alignment they'd never lock in place or worse yet you'd break the levers or break the mounting hardware on the heatsink.

Never had that happen...

I've installed and removed tons of them. Plenty of them worked well, and a few didn't. So I've experienced both sides of the coin. I'd rather have the Socket 478 style lever system than the push pins of LGA775 but I don't like either setup very well.

Installed/removed tons of the snap-in pins before, never had any break or the motherboard snap. I still prefer the bolt-through kind, but the snap-ins still work.

What is wrong with us these days? Don't we got something to really complain about besides some short coming on engineer's parts when they design platforms?

Here use these types of coolers....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835150083

It uses a bracket that goes behind the motherboard and you just screw the heatsink spring level screws and VIOLA!!! The project is complete and easy compared to a push pin. Sometimes I wonder about us as a country because it seems like we are a bunch of unhappy people.

What is wrong with us these days? Don't we got something to really complain about besides some short coming on engineer's parts when they design platforms?

It uses a bracket that goes behind the motherboard and you just screw the heatsink spring level screws and VIOLA!!! The project is complete and easy compared to a push pin. Sometimes I wonder about us as a country because it seems like we are a bunch of unhappy people.

Sure, you can replace it with alternate mounting hardware (and I have), but there is no reason why intel shouldn't have a decent mounting system in the first place. It would take any reasonable engineer 10 minutes to design a better system. Why don't they?

Really?
...Seriously?

Sure, you can replace it with alternate mounting hardware (and I have), but there is no reason why intel shouldn't have a decent mounting system in the first place. It would take any reasonable engineer 10 minutes to design a better system. Why don't they?

This is what I'm getting at. It is SUCH a bad design, you would think Intel would have refreshed the mechanism after so long.

Really?
...Seriously?

This is what I'm getting at. It is SUCH a bad design, you would think Intel would have refreshed the mechanism after so long.

What kills me is that this system is used on coolers like the Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX. :eek:

my Tuniq Tower had push pins, I got rid of when I was swapping out just b/c of those crappy things. TRUE 120 is THE BEST.

I'm convinced that the problem is that the electrical engineers who do such a good job on the electronics get the task of designing connectors and mechanical gadgets too. This they fail at miserably (Peter principle).

Hence, the old D connectors that were a pain to use, ribbon cable connectors with no obvious polarity, SATA connectors that are fragile, heat sink mounts that suck, cases that are pretty much useless etc, etc. If you've been playing with computers for a few decades, you've seen lots of bad design.

As far as the push pins go - if you mount the stupid thing before putting the MB in the case, you can get to both sides of the board at once. Make sure the black centre pin is completely withdrawn. Push the white split end into the hole gently and squeeze the two sides of the plastic together with the other hand to let it slide into place with little force. On the top side of the MB, make sure the white bit on the bottom of the bracket is snug to the MB. Make sure the black pin cap is rotated to the locked position, not the released position. Then push the black pin through while supporting the bottom side with your other hand. The first pin is easy. For the second pin, do the diagonally opposite corner next. Same technique, but it will require some force to squeeze the whole assembly together. The final two should be easy if the first or second doesn't pop out - this can happen if the black pin is not pushed all the way in. Don't ask me why I know this. Easy enough unless you have small hands and humongous multi-kilogram heatsinks. But then you should mount the MB on the heatsink instead :)

If it was up to me, I'd have the MB makers put a standard mount on the MB with the socket and then design the HS to bolt into that.

I thought for sure I fried my Q6600 when I first bought it due to the stupid push pins not seating properly. I gave the HS a good tug, didn't move and I thought it was secure. Boy was I wrong when damn thing shot up to thermal shutdown temp instantly after turning it on. Thankfully, it didn't appear to do any damage and I haven't had any side effects, but I did develop an instant hatred for the push-pin system.

Or you can go with any Zerotherm product like I did. Their screw down method is pretty straightforward and way less involved then the push pin design. Did I mention it keeps my E8500 under 50c on load. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost$nipa

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835150083

Really?
...Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aethelwulf

Sometimes corporations are so greedy that they don't want to overhaul a design that will take away any profits when the current design is good enough in their own eyes. We customers only have the choice to buy not to buy the product. Please keep in mind sometimes engineers want to fix some short coming on products but can't get the authorization to do so.

Stock:

click click click click - done.

High performance aftermarket:

Yea, I want spring loaded bolt on.

At least the bolt through kind won't fall off.

Never seen it happen with over 200 boards built and shipped via UPS (not known for gentle handling during shipping) No clue what you are doing wrong. You might try the instructions or better quality boards with proper sized holes. This and my previous post (which I thought was clear) are in reference to the stock Intel heatsink. I have also never had an issue with Artic Freezer 7 pro with about 30 of those shipped. I do not build Nvidia chipset boards, perhaps some issue with those I am not aware of.

i still take the mobo out to put in most push pin heatinks because i hate to bend the board.

went straight to the tuniq 120 here...now looking at the intel hsf, I can see where it would pretty much suck. Looks like twice the W4oR3 to get them back out? True or false ? I'll stick to the screws/stand-offs. I'm more afraid of the LGA socket than anything. Anyone waste some pins yet?

Never seen it happen with over 200 boards built and shipped via UPS (not known for gentle handling during shipping) No clue what you are doing wrong. You might try the instructions or better quality boards with proper sized holes. This and my previous post (which I thought was clear) are in reference to the stock Intel heatsink. I have also never had an issue with Artic Freezer 7 pro with about 30 of those shipped. I do not build Nvidia chipset boards, perhaps some issue with those I am not aware of.

I've seen it happen two times. Granted both times were when an Intel stock heat sink was used on an NVIDIA chipset board. It's possible there is a minor difference in the diameter of the mounting holes. However when re-using the stock Intel heatsink enough times you do wear out the mounting hardware quite a bit.

went straight to the tuniq 120 here...now looking at the intel hsf, I can see where it would pretty much suck. Looks like twice the W4oR3 to get them back out? True or false ? I'll stick to the screws/stand-offs. I'm more afraid of the LGA socket than anything. Anyone waste some pins yet?

Never and I've probably done 100 LGA775 processor installations or more by now.

8 push pins at varying heights in order to make people cry themselves to sleep.

Its going to be keyed. One of the pins will be 1 mm wider and will only fit on one of the holes. You get to guess and try to figure out which one it is. :D

Its going to be keyed. One of the pins will be 1 mm wider and will only fit on one of the holes. You get to guess and try to figure out which one it is. :D

and of course you will only realize this after 7 pins are already in.

my Tuniq Tower had push pins, I got rid of when I was swapping out just b/c of those crappy things. TRUE 120 is THE BEST.

That's weird, my Tuniq Tower bolts on.

I personally will not use a heatsink that utilizes the push pin design. They've been nothing but trouble on the few systems I've had to use them on. For my own systems, I use bolt through heat sinks only. In my case, a TRUE120, Tuniq Tower and Thermalright Ultima90.

in all honesty, if you know how to do it (and its not that hard), the push pins work fine.

i've done numerous 775 systems and i never have a problem with the push pins. get one corner in, then get that opposite corner, then hold it in and do the other 2. you shouldn't have any problems.

I've never had a problem with them, but I'd rather not deal with them if I can avoid it.

Back