Intel 660p 1TB M.2 NVME - $112.66 (Code: FEBSAVE19)

Discussion in '[H]ot|DEALS' started by legcramp, Feb 4, 2019.

1. SixFootDuo

SixFootDuo [H]ardness Supreme

Almost .......... almost pulled the trigger. .. gonna wait for something faster but a damn good price for a 1TB NVMe

2. Joust

Joust [H]ard|Gawd

At this price...anyone know how these perform in RAID 0?

3. gunbust3r

gunbust3r Gawd

Oh man, tempted to get off my 256GB sandforce sometime does not detect in the BIOS boot drive

4. Cmustang87

Cmustang87 [H]ardness Supreme

Probably quite well, but in a real world it wouldn't be noticeable. However, you might even get to the point of saturating a 32Gb/s M.2.

5. wadec22

wadec22 2[H]4U

This is so tempting...

6. dvsman

dvsman 2[H]4U

Do not press buy, do not press buy ...

7. NKD

NKD [H]ardness Supreme

Coupon good for first time buyers only. Should be notated in OP.

8. Neapolitan6th

Neapolitan6th Gawd

Its deals like these that make me believe the next generation of consoles will feature at bare minimum 128gb SSDs

9. NKD

NKD [H]ardness Supreme

meh there is no point to that thats like 1 and half game lol. I think by 2020 they probably get 1tb m2 or nvme for 50 bucks in a console. I am fairly certain it will be generic label brand but decent enough speeds.

Jim Kim likes this.
  10. vegeta535

vegeta535 2[H]4U

NVMe will be a no go for console. SATA based 1tb drives should he possible for them tho. The cost/performance benefit is not their for NVMe even in 2020.

11. kirbyrj

kirbyrj [H]ard as it Gets

Why not? The cost difference has pretty much reached zero between SATA m.2 and NVMe m.2 drives.

IdiotInCharge and Neapolitan6th like this.
  12. vegeta535

vegeta535 2[H]4U

They always penny pinch on consoles. The days of consoles being loss leaders is over. Sony and MS want to be making a slight profit for each console sold. Sony and MS are not going to loose up to $100 a console like they did during the PS3 era. $400 is the sweet spot for consoles.

13. ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf [H]ardness Supreme

Wait, wut?

Geforcepat likes this.
  14. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

This seems to be cheap across the board for some reason. Maybe it has a chienese tracking chip implanted? Because I just ordered one here in the middle of freaking europe for the equivalent of $140. Mind you we are subject to a 27% VAT so it's basically the same price.

15. vegeta535

vegeta535 2[H]4U

These are QLC drives. While cheapest memory chips. They are also slower and less reliable then TLC drives supposedly.

16. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

Which are slower and less reliable than MLC, which are slower and less reliable than SLC...

...price following the same pattern for most current models.

In any case, QLC shouldn't have major reliability issues- it will just wear out faster, and that will only matter if it's abused. Which is actually difficult for a consumer to do.

Theoretical numbers are pretty easy to come up with and have been reliable for NVMe, but it's hard to imagine a scenario where it would actually be useful vis-a-vis the halved reliability rating. Now RAID-1, I could see, and you'd still get double the read speeds.

17. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

Compared to SATA drives they are still 3x faster. So it's still great value.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  18. dvsman

dvsman 2[H]4U

if the drive is big enough in size, you can always add a little safety / maintain speed by provisioning some extra room on it. I know Samsung Magician allows for it, not sure if Intel comes with software to do the same or not / never used an intel SSD.

19. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

Well, windows 10 seems extremely efficient at abusing drives.
    250GB system drive running w7 since 2012: 35 TBW
    250GB system drive running w10 since 2017 oct: 25TBW

Does that actually work in practice? I mean do you get 2x read speed with raid1?

20. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

All you have to do is make the partition about 10% smaller than the actual size of the drive, no need for special software for it. Samung removed the option for newer drives anyway. I think last I saw it was with the 840 series. Actually I just checked it's there again. Maybe it was some specific version that didn't have it.

21. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...d-based-ssds-better-endurance-whitepaper.html
    Manual Overprovisioning appears not to be needed anymore for home use.
    It ain't included in the latest Intel SSD Toolbox.

22. dvsman

dvsman 2[H]4U

Yeah - I just saw the option in Samsung Magician on my 970 EVO rig ... that's the only reason I figured to suggest it.

But back on point - since I didn't pull the trigger on a Radeon VII, I might have to click on this deal and try out some RAID0 NVME on my next build. I love the cordless / cableless builds when you run m.2 NVME only setups.

23. Richneerd

Richneerd Limp Gawd

Was going to buy one, all sold out!

24. odditory

odditory [H]ardness Supreme

Only until the SLC cache is exhausted, then these fuckers crawl writing at 100MB/s.

Store Steam games and archival stuff on these drives, fine. But for boot drive I'd go Samsung SATA or m.2.SATA before I went QLC clunker. The pseudo-SLC masks the abysmal speed of these things for a lot of tasks but when you're copying big chunks of data to it, be prepared to scratch your head.

Again, there's a reason they're cheap. It's not because the industry decided to grace everyone with kindness and insane value.

25. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

Sure if it's full writes will slow down, but you can't write big chunks of data to a full drive anyway :D It's still great value it should be perfect as a drive for games and things where read speed is important, but writes are not. Except for installation. For a games drive I'd probably choose this over a sata drive even at equal price. But of course I might change my mind when I see the real world performance.

IdiotInCharge likes this.
  26. Ski

Ski Gawd

Oh sweet, this will go perfectly for my Sabertooth x79 mothe....... FUCK!

legcramp likes this.
  27. legcramp

legcramp [H]ardForum Junkie

To be fair, not a lot of people write 100-200GB files.

Edited: meant GB.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Jim Kim likes this.
  28. odditory

Not sure where you're getting those random numbers but you're maybe not understanding this correctly. Try copying a bunch of files from a smaller SSD over - let's say one you're upgrading from - and write speed hits a wall around 150GB. Sometimes you'll see copy speed dip to 0 and appear to be stalled as the cache space gasps for air.

Also, as the drive gets full, pseudo-SLC space shrinks and performance narrows. Read the reviews on the 660p, and Crucial P1 to understand qlc drives better. They're the SMR equivalent of the SSD world.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  29. legcramp

Got the random numbers from here:

https://www.storagereview.com/intel_ssd_660p_series_review

https://hothardware.com/reviews/intel-ssd-660p-review

And I meant to put GB instead of TB. I personally never copied a file larger than 60GB so I am honestly just unaware of what application would require huge file sizes like that but maybe you can school me.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  30. wadec22

wadec22 2[H]4U

31. TFchris

TFchris [H]ard|Gawd

how do these compare with samsungs 960/970 evos and pros?

32. nightanole

nightanole [H]ard|Gawd

intel-660p-slc-cache-sizes.png

SO if you are 75% full, You hit "the wall" at copying just 12 gig, or 25 gig if at 65%. So if your biggest load is 60 gig, you need to keep her at 50% full or less.

legcramp likes this.
  33. odditory

And in fairness, for most users that won't present any problems for typical usage scenarios. I just don't like gotchas, like if I'm copying another drive over to a QLC drive, or restoring a drive image or copying raw 4K files, I don't want to suddenly see filecopy drop to 0MB/s intermittently and then remember "oh yeah this is because I tried to save a few bucks going QLC".

When Seagate 4TB SMR drives first came out, I bought 4 and began copying a bunch of data to them and very quickly windows filecopy appeared to freeze at 0MB/s, and I didn't know why at first -- but all those drives got returned and I bought proper non-SMR for a few more bucks.

34. wadec22

wadec22 2[H]4U

totally agree that this is such a small percentage of the time most will use the drive that it probably isn't relevant. I like the perspective though, as the "gotchas" you refer to are irritating as hell when they arise. with all those things considered, are you using nvme at all right now and if so, which drive(s)? pure curiosity.

35. Neapolitan6th

Neapolitan6th Gawd

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  36. nightanole

nightanole [H]ard|Gawd

imagine how i feel, i was running 3-4 ocz ssds on XP.

Neapolitan6th likes this.
  37. legcramp

Oh I see, so it matters how much space is left on the drive too when hitting that wall. Thanks.

38. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

That happened a lot with Samsung as well. Garbage collection kicks in, and you're watching a nonresponsive system for a few minutes. Especially with the 840 evo / pro drives under heavy load. If you know this drive is not for abuse then you'll be fine. If you buy it do to video editing on it, then the joke is on you. It's like buying a go-kart for offroading.

39. TeleFragger

TeleFragger Gawd

and with consoles (at least xbox...).. they want to get away from you going to the store to buy/sell games and DL the entire game so yeah gonna need some massive room!!!

vegeta535 likes this.