Intel 34nm SSD will have a 60% reduction in price!

Heh, at 'least they were available for something pretty close to the MSRP so I guess there'll be no price gouging on 'em... Wonder if they'll drop at all from now 'till Nov, or if I should just go ahead and get it now anyway. I'm doing a fresh OS install right now, but I know I'll need to do another one then anyway, hrm.

Of course they'll drop from now till Nov, it took one day and there is already price shakeups going on with the indilinx camps, samsung won't be far off and the cycle will continue.

so tempted...but promised myself I'd wait and buy one along with an oem Win7 copy in oct/nov...

so tempted...but promised myself I'd wait and buy one along with an oem Win7 copy in oct/nov...

This. I am running on the RC now, planned on a new format session with the retail copy. Little point in getting one now when the prices will surely drop and then I can save myself a reformat/reinstall session (hours and hours).

Hopefully come mid-October They edge closer to that 2/GB mark. Ill buy one at current prices but I would be happier than a pig in crap if the 160GB was under $400.

OMFG !!! Have checked just now and my reteiler has stock of the 80 and 160GB versions !!

80 GB = 199.90 Euro = $ 284.11
160 GB = 394.90 Euro = $ 561.17

What do you think about these prices ???

FYI, apparently Intel plans to release their 320GB drive the "first half of next year".

I am incredibly disappointed. I have a dying drive in my tower that I've been putting off replacing for months in anticipation of this release. Yesterday it started locking up like crazy and today it's exhibiting vibration issues, so there's no way I can keep this around another 6-10 months. I need AT LEAST 250GB on my main drive. I can't keep buying time for that long. That's just way too long to be "settling" for something less than ideal, especially considering how long I've already waited. If I'm going to be spending $500-$600 on a replacement now there's no way I'm going to turn around in less than a year and drop another $600.

Congratulations, Intel. You've gained a large market with the price dropping and lost every buyer who actually needs decent sized storage.

You are incredible disappointed ?

Excuse me, but am I missing something here Angelic ?

If you have a "dying" HDD and you have not backed it up yet, then your data can't be of any importance, right ?
But if they are dear to you, why not getting a cheap, conventional HDD for the time being ?

I don't get you.

I'm disappointed that Intel has decided not to release the drive until next year.

The data is backed up. I've kept it backed up since day 1. I actually keep two different backups of all my important data. That's not the point. Intel first leaked news of the drive in January. Myself, along with a lot of people, have been anxiously awaiting Intel's 320gb drive release. Now Intel has decided they're not releasing for yet ANOTHER 6-10months. It's not worth continuing to wait around for Intel to finally get their foot in the door with averaged sized drives. Waiting a few more weeks or a couple of months is one thing, but I'm not going to wait another 6-10months, until I can finish building my ideal machine, and if I'm going to drop a significant amount of money into a drive now I'm not going to turn around in less than a year and do it again. At that point there's no telling what other companies will come out with. OCZ already has 1TB drives, and most companies have at least something around 256GB. Intel might not even be on top anymore. They are already *way* behind as far as capacity, and they're not *that* far ahead in performance. There are other companies which make nice drives. I would think it would be in Intel's best interests to want to catch up with the rest of the market in capacity.

Last edited:
Its your call, OCZ has a 256GB drive, so don't go with Intel. You have a choice, so you shouldn't have a problem? Or are you complaining that Intel isn't accommodating to your needs? You also have an option to buy two 160GB drives and put them into one 3.5 housing... RAID them and you're done?

p.s. Wheres my Flux capacitor! I've been waiting for that one since the 80s... and my Mr fusion, they promised it by 2012!

I hope the price is around the $150 range for 128GB by Christmas.

Probably won't happen, but I don't think I'm biting till its around $1 per GB.

I'm disappointed that Intel has decided ...

ok.

If you are disappointed, then you have expected too much.

On what grounds are you disappointed ?
Have you read anywhere about a promise that has not been kept ?

If you came to a conclusion which has resulted now as being wrong, who do you wanna blame ?
You are frustrated because something you are expecting is not going to happen in the timeframe you would like to see.

Do you see where I wanna get to ? If someone made you a promise and does not keep it, you have the right to be frustrated.
But if you just expected something and it did not happen, whom you are angry about ?

I still don't get you.

I hope the price is around the $150 range for 128GB by Christmas.

Probably won't happen, but I don't think I'm biting till its around $1 per GB.

sad but true, I am almost in the same boat. But i barely held my hand back yesterday and almost purchased the 160GB. Just the speed difference that everyone keeps talking about, i know it will get cheaper, but thats ok. I know I will feel it in load times and it will be the single biggest upgrade in years. im thinking $2=1GB will get me to bite. (im hungry)

Guys, the price of flash is not going down, it's going up. The only reason these drives exist is cheap flash. Get in while the gettin's good.

I'm ecstatic. Been waiting for 2nd gen Intel SSDs for a while now. Had Intel released the 320gig version I would have been in for 5. Till then I picked up two 160g with the plan on migrating those once the 320s arrive.

I have just placed an order for the 80GB version.

The retailer told me that only a few SSDs were left cause the demand was absolutely crazy.

YAY !!

Guys, the price of flash is not going down, it's going up. The only reason these drives exist is cheap flash. Get in while the gettin's good.
Correct. The flash market basically crashed in 4Q08 along with the rest of the market. But it looks like we are entering a phase where the YOY decrease in flash prices will be slowing dramatically.

2.gif

I am not 100% sure that the prices will go up again.
they might stall, but the whole concept of introducing a 34nm chip is to get better yields. so now they can make more chips in the same time period and using the same materials.

this leads to cheaper chips.

What was the price on each drive at Newegg? (It now just shows as Deactivated.)

Here are the results of my 40GB Seagate Barracude 7.200 ... just for comparison.

Would you say these are normal values ?

crystalmarkhe6m.png

Someday magnetic storage will be finally done and over with, but it looks like its still gonna be awhile, especially at current prices.

Which means I still gotta deal with future HDD crashes, data loss and noisy read/write heads/motors....*sigh*:(

It's funny how on many vendor pages I'm seeing notes that the new part numbers are "Discontinued".

So either thats slang for "Not in Stock" or the preorders have well outpaced availability.

Right now even NewEgg has it as a "Deactivated Item" as of my posting this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167016

I'm planning to snag one about the same time as I get a retail copy of Win7.

This soft launch is letting me be fiscally responsible. Damn you Intel.

I just contacted newegg support. Any orders placed last night before it became deactivated are still valid.
All that happened was they ran out of stock. Glad I placed my order last night these things sold out damn fast.

My guess for the deactivation is they probably would of had too many preorders and didn't have enough supply
to keep up.

Last edited:
Ordered a 160 gigger last night from Newegg. Rush order + overnight shipping, total was like $475. Expensive, but I've been wanting an SSD for a good 8 or 9 months, and have been tracking the technology for almost 10 years!

Just wished they had gotten them in a day sooner so I could play with it over the weekend. That, or if Newegg offered Saturday delivery...

This will be going in a Macbook Pro. Will probably pick up another in a few months for the Windows 7 launch. Hopefully, prices will be lower by then. Not sure if I can swing $1000 worth of drives...

Ordered a 160 gigger last night from Newegg. Rush order + overnight shipping, total was like $475. Expensive, but I've been wanting an SSD for a good 8 or 9 months, and have been tracking the technology for almost 10 years!

Just wished they had gotten them in a day sooner so I could play with it over the weekend. That, or if Newegg offered Saturday delivery...

This will be going in a Macbook Pro. Will probably pick up another in a few months for the Windows 7 launch. Hopefully, prices will be lower by then. Not sure if I can swing $1000 worth of drives...

If you did UPS it should be there on Saturday.
Delivery is not up to Newegg its the carrier.

Good golly that is some hella fast 4K write performance. WOW.

C'mon NewEgg, get 'em in!

lol i wish it was really 60% price reduction like the title says. that would put this drive at around $150, which would be like a miracle

ce5348754e3c35133dc2a77.png

Wow. This thing is fast.

As Anand said, you kind of have to use the system in order to experience how fast this is. Itunes+quicktime installing in 20 seconds. Winrar in 1/2 a second.

/goes off to time Office 2007

I ordered mine from newegg last night just after 6PM and was relieved when I finally got my tracking number a few hours ago. I don’t use my Bios to set any passwords so I’m glad I missed Intel’s recall.

The main game I play is World of Warcraft, which compared to most other games has always had been more hard drive dependent. You can be loading so many different things in the game at once that it actually favored server hard drives. My 15K SCSI drives could best even a velociraptor in WoW.

But when I saw the game played on an SSD, it was the most monumental difference I’d ever seen. It made the difference between my 15k scsi drives and a normal 7200rpm drive seem pitiful. Now I finally get to retire those drives after a solid 4 years of service.

MAUdiskmark.jpg

Fujitsu MAU3036NP 15K SCSI

Yeah, I neither use passwords.
What size did you order. 80 or 160 GB ?

You've got a funny name dude ...

SuperStock_1532R-4014.jpg

I just checked my newegg order and it says shipped. I don't have a tracking number. I ordered fedex 1day. So I should have it monday. I've never used a password on my drive. It's good that Intel caught that at the last minute. Last thing you want is bad press on a new product.

Back