Intel 34nm SSD will have a 60% reduction in price!

Can't wait for lower prices. I'll drop the $$ on a bigger SSD at some point and move this drive to be an OS drive on my desktop I think. . .

I'm SO happy with my 30 gig drive w/ 2x8 gig SDHC's for music/extra space on my work laptop. SSD is where it's AT. . .. .so fast. :D

Personally, TRIM support was the one big thing I was waiting on, and the only thing I was hesitant on with some of the current drives (besides price)... If Intel does end up adding TRIM support only to the newest drives that's a pretty ass move on their part, but it still won't keep me from snapping one of these up in Sept/Oct to go along w/my fresh Win7 install. :p Provided the competition hasn't found a way to step up price-wise... 80GB for $200-ish is good enough for me right now though.

I'm sure a year later there'll be 160GB drives for less but meh, as the above poster mentioned, I can always upgrade my OS drive down the line and move the 80GB drive to the netbook as I'm sure I'll want one there eventually as well to reduce heat and power usage (and just to make it a lot more rugged).

There's not enough difference for me to sell my V1 for a V2 but I really like the price reduction.

The trickle-down effect will be nothing but positive! :cool:

according to ZZF the -01 drives are SATA 6Gbps, -C1 are SATA 3Gbps. But thats not official as far as I can tell.

I'm kinda pissed that intel is screwing the first people who supported them. Ocz is doing everything in their power to help their loyal customers

Would a firmware update with TRIM coming around Windows 7 time require a format of the whole drive?

Would it make sense just to wait for the TRIM update to minimize performance degradation until then?

Does the Win 7 RC support TRIM?

Would a firmware update with TRIM coming around Windows 7 time require a format of the whole drive?

Would it make sense just to wait for the TRIM update to minimize performance degradation until then?

Does the Win 7 RC support TRIM?

Who knows whether it'll be a destructive write fw flash or not. Time will tell.

If you have the money, I'd get it now. Intel rates their drives (at least for their first gen) for at least 5 years use of 100GB/day writes, and that's being really strict. I bet most common users will get at least ~8+ years out of their drives. When TRIM comes out, I bet you'll get even better performance and future longevity.

Edit: -snip misinformation-

Last edited:
I'm kinda pissed that intel is screwing the first people who supported them. Ocz is doing everything in their power to help their loyal customers

Lol, you obviously weren't there when the first OCZ Core series came out. The X25-M worked great when it came out and when an issue was found, they eventually addressed it. Not as fast as I would have liked them to, but most people didn't even notice anyway. As far as TRIM goes, I don't know why people are making such a fuss about it, my X25-M's are doing great and I really could care less about TRIM right now. What about OCZ's first gen SSD, no TRIM support for them, nor even a single Firmware update. They didn't even work right and still don't.

Let's be fair in our criticism here-

Intel is coming out with a drive that lowers the price for us consumers and increases the performance, I'd say that is a positive thing. And until it's proven otherwise, Intel could still release TRIM support for the first gen X25-M, not that they really need it.

I agree with Griff805 100%. Intel released a drive that worked great from Day 1, with no OS tweaks needed. When an issue was identified they released firmware for it, and the firmware update was a lot less painful than updates on drives from other manufacturers (OCZ) *and* it fully addressed the issue. Their customers were in no way "screwed" - they got a drive which was faster than anything else at the time, and is still faster in real world use than any other non-Intel drive.

Intel has not stated that TRIM support will not be available for the 50 nm drives, only that it will be supported for the 34 nm drives. This is most likely for marketing purposes (they want to highlight this new product).

I hope newegg does not run out of stock on Tuesday! I am definitely picking one up.

They are in stock plenty of places. I just ordered two 80's. Where are you looking that they are not?

They are in stock plenty of places. I just ordered two 80's. Where are you looking that they are not?

Care to share?

I've been looking as well. When you put the model number into google (SSDSA2MH080G2C1) the only two sites that look even somewhat legitimate and american are Zipzoomfly and Buy.com. Zipzoomfly has been "out of stock" since the listing went up; they probably never had any in the first place. Buy.com has also been out of stock other than a few hours last night when they were gouging people for like $300/drive; who knows if/when those people will see their drives.

I think it's pretty hard to say they are in-stock "plenty of places" when sites like newegg don't even have them yet. I guess if you toss in all the scam sites and sites based in asia you could call that "plenty", good luck actually obtaining a drive.

ZZF never seems to get stock asap and I didn't think anyone bought drives from newegg anymore...

Anyway, I spoke to cdw and tiger and both claim to have the 80's in stock (one had the 160's but I forget which).

You are correct though, that's not exactly 'plenty' so my bad there. Since they were in stock at the first two places I called, I jumped to the conclusion that they were everywhere else.

ZZF never seems to get stock asap and I didn't think anyone bought drives from newegg anymore...

Anyway, I spoke to cdw and tiger and both claim to have the 80's in stock (one had the 160's but I forget which).

You are correct though, that's not exactly 'plenty' so my bad there. Since they were in stock at the first two places I called, I jumped to the conclusion that they were everywhere else.

well I just called my rep at CDW and he told me that they are not in stock, but I could pre-order one, and it would ship when it became availabe.

Tiger only has the X25-e on their website so......I dunno about that.

Hope you bought the new one :)

Got it from Buy.com before the price gouging for $228 ... arriving tomorrow with 2-day shipping.

Then again I ordered the hour I received the "in stock" notice.

well I just called my rep at CDW and he told me that they are not in stock, but I could pre-order one, and it would ship when it became availabe.

Tiger only has the X25-e on their website so......I dunno about that.

Hope you bought the new one :)

I ordered two of the 80's verbally, not through the website. The wording my guy used was available and shipping now, not "in stock" exactly, so maybe that means 3rd party? I should have tracking soon so we'll see.

GLSauron said:
SSDs aren't delicate like magnetic drives are.

I realize that, I'm just out of the habit of even thinking newegg.

I ordered two of the 80's verbally, not through the website. The wording my guy used was available and shipping now, not "in stock" exactly, so maybe that means 3rd party? I should have tracking soon so we'll see.
wanna pm your reps info?

Just ordered at pugetsystems and after I placed the order it said May no longer be in stock.

Hopefully it'll go thru since my bank balance reflects the cost. After shipping around $500 for the 160GB.

Hopefully I can ebay my old 160 for at least 250 bucks.

Just ordered at pugetsystems and after I placed the order it said May no longer be in stock.

Yeah, since the first shipment is arriving tomorrow so it should show in-stock mid-day tomorrow and be on its way to you tomorrow evening or Monday at the latest :)

These things have been selling like hotcakes - which is great for SSDs in general, since the more people buy the more they make and the more prices will come down!

Personally I'm loving my 80GB first-gen Intel. So fast...

OMFG !!!!
eyes_popping_out_of_thzl5o.jpg

• When I checked yesterday whether my usual retailer has the new model listed, there were only the 1st generation SSDs
  • When I checked just now, I found something interesting ...

ssdpvc4lw.png

Yay !!!

The 80GB's are already OOS at Newegg. I saw them while it was in stock but instead of buying I started reading up on them on on forums. When I decided I'd use my 10% off coupon ($20 off) it said "out of stock." :(

Back