Ikea desk gallery

Added a shelf... also new monitor.

IMAG0023.jpg

Sorry if I have missed the answer to this, I am new here and I wondered if anyone might tell me what desk this is please?

An update from my previous post. I've added a Summera CPU holder and 2 Signum cable organizers.

Office by mike-greene.com, on Flickr

VERY nice job with cable management. It looks so clean and inviting. I have been putting off getting one of those Signums for my Fredrik, but I think your pictures put me over the edge (that and I haven't had their swedish meatballs in like a year lol).

Sorry if I have missed the answer to this, I am new here and I wondered if anyone might tell me what desk this is please?

I think they're an steel alternative model for the Fredrik or Galant? I totally forgot.

Webdes03, very clean! I have the same galant desk and putchased the tower holder and cable managers last weekend. For some reason mine looks nowhere near as clean as yours. Couple of questions:

1. Did you buy cord extensions to get your components (mouse, keyboard, etc.) to reach the tower?
2. Can you post a closer up shot of how you mounted the tower holder brackets to the underside of your desk?
3. Why did you not remove the wheels under your Lian-Li? I have the same case and mine was constantly rolling off the bracket - even the "brake" wouldn't hold it from rolling off.

Thanks in advance, and fantastic setup again .

I honestly rarely touch the case, so it hasn't been an issue of it sliding. I thought about taking the wheels off, but it looks cooler with them on I think haha. There's also a tiedown strap that comes with the Summera that helps hold it if you get it tight enough.

As far as cables go, I had to get some longer DVI cables than the ones that typically come with your monitors. The left monitor would reach with your standard length but it was really tight. I also have a USB over Cat-5 converter on a 6 foot Cat-5 cable that puts a USB hub right at the end of my cable tray (vs. running all of the cables all the way to the CPU). I could have just used a 6 foot USB extension, but I had this laying around so I put it to use.

Stand by and I'll get you a couple more pics...

2. Can you post a closer up shot of how you mounted the tower holder brackets to the underside of your desk?

It's really straight forward. In their infinite wisdom, Ikea includes sufficient mounting hardware to mount this several ways (all pretty clearly illustrated in the "instructions"). All of their photos had the shelf hanging inwards towards the center of the desk, but I just flipped it around as the hardware holding the small half round prevented me from mounting it any further to the left (if that makes sense).

The mounting is exactly the same, it's just flipped 180°...

Office PC Mount by mike-greene.com, on Flickr

Office PC Mount by mike-greene.com, on Flickr

VERY nice job with cable management. It looks so clean and inviting. I have been putting off getting one of those Signums for my Fredrik, but I think your pictures put me over the edge (that and I haven't had their swedish meatballs in like a year lol).

+1.:D

*spots someone who actually uses all those stickers you get with new parts* :p

My Ikea desk. Don't remember the name. It's just a basic ~2'x3.5' table with the interchangeable legs. None of the fancy stuff here. Put a fair amount of time into mounting the speakers and LCDs though.
IMG_3655.jpg

My Ikea desk. Don't remember the name. It's just a basic ~2'x3.5' table with the interchangeable legs. None of the fancy stuff here. Put a fair amount of time into mounting the speakers and LCDs though.
IMG_3655.jpg

It looks cool. Aren't your computers kind of far? That would drive me to drink:cool:

I do like the way you maximize your space, though.

It looks cool. Aren't your computers kind of far? That would drive me to drink:cool:

Why would the distance to one's computer matter? Unless you're one of those weirdos who still uses CDs/DVDs, of course ;)

Why would the distance to one's computer matter? Unless you're one of those weirdos who still uses CDs/DVDs, of course ;)

I guess I'm a wierdo. I don't want to have to get up to plop in another DVD blank every time I backup someone's files after they have screwed their OS install, motherboard failure and such. Specialy, if its the only photos of the kids.

I guess I'm a wierdo. I don't want to have to get up to plop in another DVD blank every time I backup someone's files after they have screwed their OS install, motherboard failure and such. Specialy, if its the only photos of the kids.

I honestly can't remember the last time I used the DVD drives of any of my systems. Two servers I have running don't even have a DVD drive, I installed the OS from a USB stick. Faster and more convenient :)

Also, I have a USB hub on my desk so that it doesn't matter that the PC is a full meter away from me :D

I honestly can't remember the last time I used the DVD drives of any of my systems. Two servers I have running don't even have a DVD drive, I installed the OS from a USB stick. Faster and more convenient :)

Also, I have a USB hub on my desk so that it doesn't matter that the PC is a full meter away from me :D

To each his own, I guess.:p

I did take a few shots but they came out too dark. Here are some older photos before I got the extension and cable management.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/Nickjames_photos/My Gaming Room/DSCN0629.jpg

DSCN0630.jpg

I will take some new ones tonight when I get home from work, with better lighting. The reason I took these photos in such darkness is because I was hiding my cable octopus behind the monitors. I hadn't drilled the holes yet so all my power cables, monitor, USB devices everything was put into a giant ball, tight wrapped, and thrown behind the monitors. It looked horrible.

Can you please give a links to those two wallpapers ? :)

Meh. Annoying thing is cabling, because everything needs to be long. Running 15' DVI cables. On the back of the desk there are two USB hubs, one for each PC (left PC is HTPC, right is gaming PC). Also a PS/2 extension for the keyboard.

I snapped two night shots.

The pretty one:
IMG_3669.jpg

Why it's nice to have a deep desk:
IMG_3668.jpg

Last edited:
Meh. Annoying thing is cabling, because everything needs to be long. Running 15' DVI cables. On the back of the desk there are two USB hubs, one for each PC (left PC is HTPC, right is gaming PC). Also a PS/2 extension for the keyboard.

I snapped two night shots.

The pretty one:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/taylorcans/IMG_3669.jpg

Why it's nice to have a deep desk:

That's a good trick. From your previous post you really can't see all the wire behind the LCDs. :cool:

nah...that's just 4 LED lights mounted under the top shelf. The polaroid pictures help block most of the light. Otherwise, you would be blinded by the light....

Yeah, I can imagine. Hence my remark :D

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I've been sifting through pictures for days trying to construct a desk that I would like. I'm purchasing my desk tomorrow (writing down all the bin numbers to get the items in) and I wanted to get your input on whether or not I'm missing any useful accessories to the following:

Galant Table Top with Frame 63" (Birch) with 2 t-legs - $200
Ekby Jarpen (Birch) (monitor shelf) - $15
Capita Legs 4" - $10
Galant Drawer - $45
Summera Drawer insert (not shown) - $5
Signum Cable management wire rack - $10
Summera Computer holder rack - $18

I've never been to Ikea before so it should be a nice experience. I finally get to try those Swedish meatballs that everyone talks about. I'm nervous about having to drill holes myself because I've never done it before. I'm also a little nervous about the color. I've been considering the black/brown color. Any thoughts?

I've got the black / brown finish on mine and I love it. Seems to scratch easy though. But, if I had to guess, that is true of all of the finishes.

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I've been sifting through pictures for days trying to construct a desk that I would like. I'm purchasing my desk tomorrow (writing down all the bin numbers to get the items in) and I wanted to get your input on whether or not I'm missing any useful accessories to the following:

Galant Table Top with Frame 63" (Birch) with 2 t-legs - $200
Ekby Jarpen (Birch) (monitor shelf) - $15
Capita Legs 4" - $10
Galant Drawer - $45
Summera Drawer insert (not shown) - $5
Signum Cable management wire rack - $10
Summera Computer holder rack - $18

I've never been to Ikea before so it should be a nice experience. I finally get to try those Swedish meatballs that everyone talks about. I'm nervous about having to drill holes myself because I've never done it before. I'm also a little nervous about the color. I've been considering the black/brown color. Any thoughts?

Looks like you have a great and very complete setup drawn. I've never really been a huge fan of the Galant kit because it's pretty expensive when you can easily build your own desk of similar size for almost a third of the price, but the downside is a custom desk doesn't have all the necessary pre-drilled holes aside for those intended for the legs. AFAIK most of the accessories easily add onto the Galant frame except for the maybe Signum rack. IKEA designed their desks to be very modular and easily accessorized. Other than that the Birch color is nice since the black/brown easily shows oily fingerprints, scratches and dust. Sometimes I wish my Jerker was birch colored instead of black...but only sometimes. :D

Post pictures when you're done!

Thanks everyone for the advice.

So, I made a few mistakes (jesus that Ikea store was huge). I'm going back tomorrow to return and purchase a few things:

The 4" Capita legs were too short (returning them). I need my keyboard to slide underneath the monitor stand. I'm going to purchase the 6" Capita legs and god help me if they're not tall enough.

The EKBY board is too wide. I have the Canon MP980 printer and with that big EKBY board it won't fit on the desk. I'm going to get the 31" EKBY board.

I ended up not getting the Galant drawer and the Summera drawer insert because I really had no use for it.

I'm really nervous about the birch color though. I haven't opened the desk packaging yet. I suppose I shouldn't let my neurotic self worry about it. I'm just worried that down the road I will want a TV stand and bookcase and I think those things look much more modern in the darker colors. I guess having a light desk and a dark colored TV stand and bookcase would be ok, right?

Also, could someone who has the Knos desk pad comment on whether or not it's worth it to purchase? I mean, if it gets hot in your room does your arm stick to the pad?

Last edited:
I think that having a bit of contrast in your furniture colours is refreshing :) I don't do colour-matching on my own furniture either, let alone on design. I like a bit of chaos :D

Also, could someone who has the Knos desk pad comment on whether or not it's worth it to purchase? I mean, if it gets hot in your room does your arm stick to the pad?

I like it, adds an extra layer of protections. Stops keyboard from sliding around a bit. Yeah if your skin is wet it will stick, it's a fake leathery plastic material with a metal backing. I think it adds a bit of style though so I like it.

Ok, I've run into one problem with the T-legs on the desk:

I tried putting together my Galant desk and I noticed that no matter what, the height adjuster faces me on one leg and faces away from me on the other. Yet, in the instruction manual it shows that both T-legs should have the height adjuster (little black circle on the legs) both facing away from me. The little metal piece sticking out of the top of the T-leg has to go into the metal whole so I don't know what else to do. Anyone had this problem or can you look at your T-legs and see if that black circles are both facing towards or away from you?

Ok, I've run into one problem with the T-legs on the desk:

I tried putting together my Galant desk and I noticed that no matter what, the height adjuster faces me on one leg and faces away from me on the other. Yet, in the instruction manual it shows that both T-legs should have the height adjuster (little black circle on the legs) both facing away from me. The little metal piece sticking out of the top of the T-leg has to go into the metal whole so I don't know what else to do. Anyone had this problem or can you look at your T-legs and see if that black circles are both facing towards or away from you?

You can't really have all the adjusters facing the same way. I've tried with mine.

On my Left Corner Galant desk, I have an extension on each side and two of the black screws are facing away from me, but I have one that does face the other way. Never really noticed and not much of a concern for me either as it can't go any other way.

Remember, the instructions weren't made in English to begin with so don't worry about it. :)

Ok, put together the desk and I really don't notice it.

I still have a few finishing items to pick p at Ikea and will post pics. That 63" desk is so huge, I freaking love it.

Just wait till you add on some extensions, there was one picture a few pages back where they essential have two Galant desks in a U shape.

My gf immediate said no when I showed her the picture and before I could ask if I could do something similiar... :(

I'd like to get the computer holder but my Dell XPS Gen5 weighs around 50-60 Lbs. I can't find any information online about the weight maximum for that item.

I'm also going to pick up a lamp..probably one of those clamp on lamps because I notice that the table does shake slightly when I type.

Last edited:
The computer holder, depending on where you place it, can hold quite a bit of weight.

I have three of them actually, one is mounted inside the tubular metal for my Antec 1200 with no problems at all, the second is mounted under my desk and clamps to the tubular metal and that is a Antec 900 case.

Again no problem, it is my two APC 1000 Battery Backups that cause a slight sag but that is due to them being in the far back corner of my desk with lesser support from the actual metal.

My next desk will for sure be an Ikea desk.

One thing I dont understand about mounting computers under a table is would it be bad to have the top fan blow all of that hot air constricted under that table? Even though the air will eventually rise from the sides of the table, a good amount of it is constantly being sucked in by the intake, no? I suppose if your only intake is from the side (facing outward) and the front, it would not matter. But I am using the rear of my case as an intake as well for my H50 with the top as the exhaust. Same question for a PS3/Xbox.. Ive been seeing a lot of these crammed under desks/cabinets next to a bunch of other electronics. My fat PS3 gets reallllly hot.

I don't know why but for some reason my Galant desk shakes a bit when I'm typing.

Update: I believe I found the reason why the desk is so shakey. The black feet on the t-legs are not screwed in all the way. They were all different heights. I didn't know those needed to be screwed in as tightly as possible. Hopefully that'll help someone else down the road. If the desk is still shakey after I get those screwed in, I'm going to put 4 screws into each side of the frame and that definitely will do the trick.

Last edited:
Back