• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Ikea desk gallery

Anyone care to recommend a lamp that I could check out at Ikea?

Well, considering Ikea has soooo many lamps (and types of lamps), your question is really vague. What type of lamp are you looking for? Table or wall? Size? brightness? rotable? flexible? metal or plastic finish?

if you post a picture of your setup it can help too
 
I have the system in my signature sitting in the Summera. and it pushes in just a touch, but I'm thinking it's more due to the big bulges in the sides of the case pushing out than the weight. I will post some pics as soon as I manage to get some decent lighting (unless I just give up on that and post what I have, but I'm far happier with the setup than I thought I'd be :D
 
Well, considering Ikea has soooo many lamps (and types of lamps), your question is really vague. What type of lamp are you looking for? Table or wall? Size? brightness? rotable? flexible? metal or plastic finish?

if you post a picture of your setup it can help too

I'm looking for a table lamp. I have this setup minus the lamp, (obviously) filing cabinet, Lack shelf above the desk, and all the nick knacks.
[URL=http://img46.imageshack.us/i/desksetup.jpg/] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/URL]
 
I have the lamp in that picture. I think they were $5 when I got it. I liked the first one so much I picked up 2 more.
 
I'm really liking the Fredrik desks, easy to put together, kind of... never before have i made something that tells you to bend the entire unit to get the shelves in, i recommend 2 people for these desks.

PA100128.jpg

PA100130.jpg

PA100133.jpg

PA100134.jpg


Getting there!
I'm just hooking up the speakers, computer and other equipment now. More pics soon, gonna be a very nice workstation when i'm done.
 
I'm really liking the Fredrik desks, easy to put together, kind of... never before have i made something that tells you to bend the entire unit to get the shelves in, i recommend 2 people for these desks.

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m509/rossiroz06/Room/PA100128.jpg
http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m509/rossiroz06/Room/PA100130.jpg
http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m509/rossiroz06/Room/PA100133.jpg
http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m509/rossiroz06/Room/PA100134.jpg

Getting there!
I'm just hooking up the speakers, computer and other equipment now. More pics soon, gonna be a very nice workstation when i'm done.

I can't wait to see the finished product.:D
 
I'm looking for a table lamp. I have this setup minus the lamp, (obviously) filing cabinet, Lack shelf above the desk, and all the nick knacks.
[URL=http://img46.imageshack.us/i/desksetup.jpg/] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/URL]

Alright, I hate to do this because I know that shelf or one just like it was described earlier in this thread. But, the shelf the monitor sits on, is it made of a combination of shelf and some sort of modular feet? I am looking to do this with a dual monitor setup that needs to move up a little and clear some space underneath.

Thanks in advance!
 
Alright, I hate to do this because I know that shelf or one just like it was described earlier in this thread. But, the shelf the monitor sits on, is it made of a combination of shelf and some sort of modular feet? I am looking to do this with a dual monitor setup that needs to move up a little and clear some space underneath.

Thanks in advance!

Hehe, this does get asked alot but the legs are Capita and you can get them in 4", 6" and 8" lengths and the board is a Jarpen that can match your desk color.

I have actually used a much wider and thinner board, I think to a dresser actually, for my monitors before switching to arms.
 
Hehe, this does get asked alot but the legs are Capita and you can get them in 4", 6" and 8" lengths and the board is a Jarpen that can match your desk color.

I have actually used a much wider and thinner board, I think to a dresser actually, for my monitors before switching to arms.

Immense appreciation for your prompt feedback sir. I was going to go with an idea I had seen around the internet where people were taking an Ikea shelf and screwing door stops to bottom. It looked very simple and elegant but I knew this thread had a better, more robust solution. And now I can get a little bit taller legs to pop the speakers under.

But now you have me thinking about monitor arms. The ones I have seen are pretty expensive for my simple needs but can I ask which ones you went with?
 
But now you have me thinking about monitor arms. The ones I have seen are pretty expensive for my simple needs but can I ask which ones you went with?

I went with a 3 way adjustable arm from monoprice.com. They worked out quiet well and never really had any major problems with them.

My only issue was with my 24" monitor trying to stay up, no matter how hard I would use the thumb screw to keep it straight, it would slowly tilt forward and look somewhat down at my desk. I solved this by really just putting a zip tie in the top corners and through the unit to keep it from moving.

However, since I have three monitors and I have looked for ages on getting a mount, finally ordered a Chief three monitor mount and should be here this weekend! :D

As I said, the arms worked great, I actually have them about 6-7" off my desk with the ability to go a little higher even. Just the slight tilting issue that I fixed by zip ties, it was more of never getting my monitors lined up that drove me nuts.

If you are interested in the arms, shoot me a PM and we might be able to work something out.
 
Just got back from Ikea. Bought all the wrong stuff, lol.

For that monitor stand, 6" is too high imho. 31" EKBY Jarpen board is too small width-wise. My monitor hangs to far over it. SO, I get to go back to Ikea tomorrow, return the items, and try to find something again. Wasn't there another shelf that could be used in place of the EKBY for the monitor stand?
 
I also got 3 of them :D

They were $7 when picked it up though :(

I looked and didn't see it. I'm going back tomorrow so I will check it out once again. They might just be discontinued or not available at the Portland, OR store. Anyone have a recommendation for a monitor stand besides and EKBY shelf?
 
Last edited:
Can anyone recommend an alternative to Ikea's computer holder?

My Dell XPS Gen5 is not holding up with that thing. It's about 11" wide and 20" long. I'd like basically a piece of birch with wheels on it.
 
Can anyone recommend an alternative to Ikea's computer holder?

My Dell XPS Gen5 is not holding up with that thing. It's about 11" wide and 20" long. I'd like basically a piece of birch with wheels on it.

I use the Vika Annefors leg (black), have a look, fits an Antec 900 case fine. with room to spare in height.
 
I use the Vika Annefors leg (black), have a look, fits an Antec 900 case fine. with room to spare in height.

Hm, I think I'm going to try a EKBY Jarpen and just put some wheels on it. The main reason I didn't like the Summera Computer Holder is that it doesn't slide out.
 
Switched to posting in proper forum...I apologize, just realized this was a gallery, duh, lol.
 
Last edited:
@webdes03

Very nice! I notice that quite a few people here get the A legs for the L-Shaped desks. I wish I had enough room for one of those puppies.

Are A-legs sturdier than T-legs?
 
@webdes03

Very nice! I notice that quite a few people here get the A legs for the L-Shaped desks. I wish I had enough room for one of those puppies.

Are A-legs sturdier than T-legs?

I don't know that the "A" legs are more sturdy, though I'd assume them to be. I'd assume they more evenly distribute the weight due to their shape, but that's just my gut. That said, I ordered mine online so it wasn't like I actually stood next to the T legs and the A legs and decided. I just preferred the appearance of the A.

I'm still debating getting another section to continue on under the window. One can never really have enough desk space I do believe ;-)
 
I'm still debating getting another section to continue on under the window. One can never really have enough desk space I do believe ;-)

I tried to explain that to my girlfriend as I have the Galant with an extension on each side and she keeps saying no. :mad:

I went with the T Legs though as that is what the person had when I bought this desk but I like it better as it doesn't seem to stick out quite as much as the A legs.
 
I went with the T Legs though as that is what the person had when I bought this desk but I like it better as it doesn't seem to stick out quite as much as the A legs.

Exactly what I was thinking :D

They tend to be out of the way for my legs when I turn around in my chair
 
I'm still debating getting another section to continue on under the window. One can never really have enough desk space I do believe ;-)

I'm thinking about adding a straight section to my Galant but I'm not too confident about it supporting the weight of a 32" Sony Bravia LCD TV
 
I tried to explain that to my girlfriend as I have the Galant with an extension on each side and she keeps saying no. :mad:

I went with the T Legs though as that is what the person had when I bought this desk but I like it better as it doesn't seem to stick out quite as much as the A legs.

Actually, the A legs do not extend out any further than the desk surface. If I had to guess I'd say it's probably the same footprint as the T leg. There may be some variation to that depending on how deep the desk surface is, but all of my legs end a couple inches inside the footprint of the desk surface.


I'm thinking about adding a straight section to my Galant but I'm not too confident about it supporting the weight of a 32" Sony Bravia LCD TV

While there's no published specification on weight limit for the Galant desks, there are some details floating around in the blog and forum world. I've heard the figure of 100 pounds per leg quite commonly. There's an example in this post of someone with about 350 pounds worth of fish tank sitting on a Galant. I can't imagine your 32" bravia weighs more than 35-40 pounds, so you should be fine in my opinon.
 
Last edited:
I dont think you'd have any weight issues from even a huge CRT on a Galant. My wife and I were walking around on mine when we decorated the house for my daughters B-day party, and again a couple weeks ago when we put up the Halloween stuff, and I'm pushing 170 lbs.
Monitors stayed on the desk the whole time, and didn't see or feel any flex at all.
 
I got two 20" CRTs on my Jerker desk without issues. If the Galant is anything like the Jerker in construction, there should be no problem.

Think about it, what's a desk worth if a person can't even stand/lean on it without breaking it? :)
 
Here is my new baby:
emptydesk1.jpg

emptydesk2.jpg

underemptydesk2.jpg


And here we are, fully set up:
fulldesk4.jpg

fulldesk3.jpg


For anybody that is interested, here are the parts I used from Ikea:

1 x Numerar Countertop - 8 feet:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30160191

2 x Ekby Jarpen Wall Shelves:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20094347

2 x Capita 6" Leg:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00054564

6 x Galant A-Leg (you will need to buy 3 of the mounting frames for these too, but I can't find the link on their website):
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40057457

2 x Signum Cable Management:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50035115
 
Nice setup gigantor! :D

One for gaming, one for everything else?

Nah, I'm on the left with the 28 inch Hanns-G. My girlfriend is on the right with the dual 23 inchers. She had dual 22's and I had the 23's, but I missed my big, big screen while gaming, so we are selling the 22's, and now she runs the 23's.
 
Back
Top