• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Ikea desk gallery

oh man. good deal. not bad :p

too bad i couldn't quite get mine for that cheap. i'm not near an ikea so not as many are around. but i didn't pay the retail price so phooey ;)
 
Haha, yeah.

Nearest Ikea from my house is over 2 hrs. But luckily I come to Chicago every month for drill...So I hit up craigslist like mad while I'm here!
 
Anyone in the Bay Area want to buy my Jerker? Black/silver frame with extension and extra shelf. I also added the Fredrik drawer on the right side.
 
Haha, yeah.

Nearest Ikea from my house is over 2 hrs. But luckily I come to Chicago every month for drill...So I hit up craigslist like mad while I'm here!

I'm lucky, I've got 3 IKEA within 25 mins, 7 in a 2 hrs radius. lol.
 
Yeah I have 5 IKEA stores, closest being about 3miles from my place to the furthest being just 70 miles away.
Sucks for those that have to make weekend trips just to get something cheap or worth while.
 
yeah my closest one is 1.5 hours. sucks tho because my car wont make it that far. All I want right now is a few shelves and I cant get them. lol
 
Ikea Jonas :)

21mb0ib.jpg


Autostitch messed up a few bits, oh well.
 
This pic is right after I mounted the speakers. I have just moved in and am trying some new setups out with things. I actually like the speakers mounted up because then it gives me a tad more desk space, especially with the control pod mounted up and out of the way..

So, I've got some work to do finishing it up...Yeah, I know it's "ghetto" for now, but that was an in-progress pic.

641660603_fQtYE-L.jpg
 
I'm thinking of buying a L-shaped Galant desk with T-legs.
And i use to play LFS with a Logitech G25 steering wheel.. will the steering wheel cause the whole desk to wobble and shake like crazy and therefore make the display also shake, which would make the whole desk pretty useless?

I would really appreciate if someone could reply..
 
Wife and I made the 8 hour round trip to Ikea this weekend. For the "office" we are redoing we picked up the 4X4 expedit bookcase in birch ( http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80071357 ) , Galant birch right corner desk with large side extension and half round extension on the small side, 2 birch lack shelves and some curtains, etc. Hope to have pics up tomorrow.

The bad part was that Ikea was out of the half round extension frame, however we walked to home delivery and they agreed to ship me one to the house w/o a delivery fee (should be here today)

The WORST part was getting everything home and finding out that I purchased the wrong frame for the corner part of the desk. Luckily my co-worker was headed back from FL and agreed to stop in to Ikea on his way home and pick up the correct frame, so I was able to get most of the desk built last night.
 
Any ideas how to get one of these desks when you don't have an SUV to drive to a local IKEA? Renting an SUV ($90 + gas) seems a bit expensive...
 
Any ideas how to get one of these desks when you don't have an SUV to drive to a local IKEA? Renting an SUV ($90 + gas) seems a bit expensive...

fwiw, I fit my Jerker w/ extra shelves into my lexus gs400 w/out all the packaging.
 
Either buddy up with someone with a SUV or truck or get rope for tie downs on the roof and a route back home on the back roads? :D

Their products though are really slim, if you can you might be able to fit it in your trunk with just some of it hanging out. Haven't seen too many Ikea products that are very thick in any direction.
 
Either buddy up with someone with a SUV or truck or get rope for tie downs on the roof and a route back home on the back roads? :D

Their products though are really slim, if you can you might be able to fit it in your trunk with just some of it hanging out. Haven't seen too many Ikea products that are very thick in any direction.

My car's back seats do not fold down, and without that there is no way I count hope to fit one of those 70" long boxes in there. But you are right that none of the boxes I've seen thus far are more than 3" thick.

There is no way my wife would let me use her PLPD-only insured car (with fold down seats) to drive through Chicago. Anywhere else, she'd give me the keys. But not Chicago.

One buddy of mine, lives in northwest Indiana though, might be able to help me with his SUV. I hate to ask him though, I'd feel guilty.

I've got one idea though...group purchase with my apartment complex. That could pay for a rental really quickly. Maybe said buddy would split the group purchase profits or something...
 
My car's back seats do not fold down, and without that there is no way I count hope to fit one of those 70" long boxes in there. But you are right that none of the boxes I've seen thus far are more than 3" thick.

There is no way my wife would let me use her PLPD-only insured car (with fold down seats) to drive through Chicago. Anywhere else, she'd give me the keys. But not Chicago.

One buddy of mine, lives in northwest Indiana though, might be able to help me with his SUV. I hate to ask him though, I'd feel guilty.

I've got one idea though...group purchase with my apartment complex. That could pay for a rental really quickly. Maybe said buddy would split the group purchase profits or something...
sometimes you have to lie to the wife haha. :p
 
I convinced my wife we were going to decorate the babys room now that she is old enough to move out of her crib. The desk was just a "bonus".
 
Turns out a buddy is lending me his time with his SUV and a trailer that is only going to cost us $15 to get.

Now I just have to figure out what size desk and which accessories to go with? Any tips? Because I'm looking at two of those wire harnesses (the metal ones that hang off the frame), one keyboard drawer, and the PC caddy thing.

Right now I think I'm looking at these two more than anything, not sure though. I've decided on the T-legs already, still deciding on color too. Not sure if I need to go with the 'left' or 'right' desks though...

I can go up to about 7'x7' without too much trouble, but trying to keep cost down too.

Also, do you have to mount the PC caddy in a certain spot on the frame or anything?
 
Last edited:
This is my desk at the moment:


I'm considering this desk to replace it. Does anyone have this desk, and if so, what do you think of it?
 
Oh, sorry...but any idea if IKEA can wiggle around with student discounts? I hear they like to do 20% off a lot...
 
Also, do you have to mount the PC caddy in a certain spot on the frame or anything?

Actually no you do not, you have three options to mount them, I have one mounted in to the end of a frame as my 1200 is too tall for being under the desk. My second one is just clamped down to the frame underneath, the third option is to hang off the actual wood section of the desk.

Left or right is up to you, however one side will be considerably larger then the other, so just depends on which side you want/need the thicker side to be.

Congrats on the SUV and trailer though! :D:D
 
Actually no you do not, you have three options to mount them, I have one mounted in to the end of a frame as my 1200 is too tall for being under the desk. My second one is just clamped down to the frame underneath, the third option is to hang off the actual wood section of the desk.

Left or right is up to you, however one side will be considerably larger then the other, so just depends on which side you want/need the thicker side to be.

Congrats on the SUV and trailer though! :D:D

I wasn't sure on the computer mount, thank you. That was what I was hoping.

Left v. Right? Take a quick look if you don't mind, I made two mockups showing the room layout.

66696350.png


and...

48249203.png


That chair isn't quite placed well for either, but hey it gets the idea across. I also don't know if I'm going to add which extensions and whatnot, I figure decide on this first.
 
My current apartment workstation setup. Just moved in a couple weeks ago, and yes I know there still needs to be some additional cable management. These were so cheap at Ikea I actually picked up 2 of them to do an "L" shaped setup for only $100 :D. They are surprisingly sturdy.
2s9qfc9.png
 
My current apartment workstation setup. Just moved in a couple weeks ago, and yes I know there still needs to be some additional cable management. These were so cheap at Ikea I actually picked up 2 of them to do an "L" shaped setup for only $100 :D. They are surprisingly sturdy.

Awesome. That answered my question. Now I just need to get down to Charlotte with a van.
 

I say go with this picture, puts the wide side where it seems like there is a little more walkway behind the chair and should allow you to add a bit longer section as well going towards what I am assuming is the door.

My desk is in the beech veneer and I have a left piece along with two extension pieces.

One piece on each side and I have a quite a bit of space as I run three 24" monitors with no problem, a small Brother laser jet printer and the other side just has my two laptops.
 
I actually ended up going with that setup for a few reasons, ended up finally deciding while I was in the store looking at them. I didn't get the chance to read your post until just now, but after thinking about it I went ahead and ordered two extensions (one for each side).

The desk is freaking massive.

My buddy and I just finished building it a little while ago, now I need to start populating the desk with stuff. I might need to buy longer USB and DVI cables...
 
Yeah the desk is a great size and once you get the extensions it will be even larger! On the side that is wider, I have my Antec 1200 hanging off the end and I had to buy 20 foot DVI cables for my third monitor to even be plugged in.

Not sure if you checked these wire racks out but I have four of them forming a complete line along the backside and all of my cables just sit in there. Makes it look so much cleaner.
 
Back
Top