IE 9 Beta

jeremyshaw

[H]F Junkie
Only reason I like it.

Draggable tabs-->windows.

I know it's a copy out of Chrome (or it's source, Chromium), but I kept a copy of Iron (another chromium build) around just for this purpose.

Best operating system ever.
Most of the good ideas ie has where "borrowed" from another browser.

Only beef with it so far is the tabs location - wish you could at least have the option to customize it.

it's pretty slick. I like it. However, I cannot combine toolsbars which would be cool. I would like to have my NIS 2010 and Favorites combined into one bar.

some things i have noticed that it does

it breaks mcafee site advisor (come on mcafee get your game on)
it breaks some games like plants vs zombies profiles when the gfx stutter
u can't uninstall it without doing a system restore (knew this going in)

I like it, super fast. Biggest issue is video lags like a mother on youtube, but sound is fine. Anyone else experiencing thing?

This browser rocks! Engadget would take forever to load and it was never stable in IE8, it's instant in IE9 Beta. All around, I'm impressed.

some things i have noticed that it does
u can't uninstall it without doing a system restore (knew this going in)

If you go into Programs and Features and click "View installed updates", IE 9 Beta will be in the list and you can un-install it from there without having to do a system restore. ;)

sorry I did not know that I was expecting to find it where the rest of the programs were, sorry

sorry I did not know that I was expecting to find it where the rest of the programs were, sorry

lol, no need to apologize. I would say a lot of people have assumed you can't un-install it because it doesn't show up on the first screen with the rest of your installed programs. Its an update/patch so it shows up in the updates list.

I'll download and install it once the final version is available, I don't run beta versions of anything these days.

it breaks mcafee site advisor (come on mcafee get your game on)
Friends don't let friends run Mcafee. Seriously, they haven't been "on their game" in years. If I saw Mcafee software installed on a computer I support, I'd treat it as malware, remove and and move on.

I found that messenger 10 shows no text in the window when you are chatting so I had to revert back to 8
when yahoo fixes it I will reinstall it.

I read that they are dropping support for all versions of xp with this version of IE.

It's great. The graphics don't use up 100% of the CPU anymore. One of the gripes i have about HTML is that it takes so much resources just to do an animation. Animating an image uses up 100% of one of your cores, flash does the same in 0%. The new IE lowered the CPU usage down to 2%.

Running IE9 x64...works great with flash square x64 and LastPass x64, which are the only plug-ins/add-ons I care about.

Couple of tips about IE9 that may help others:

1. If you have blurry fonts in IE9, hit the compatibility button (broken page icon next to the address bar), the page may be slower but it will look much better. Most sites seem to look ok without this though.

2. If you want to make the x64 version of IE9 the default browser, you can do the following: Take ownership of iexplore.exe in "c:\program files (x86)\internet explorer", give "administrators" full permissions, rename iexplore.exe in "c:\program files (x86)\internet explorer" directory to iexplore32.exe, use 'mklink' in elevated cmd.exe to make a symbolic link: mklink "c:\program files (x86)\internet explorer\iexplore.exe" "c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe". Now when you click things like pinned sites or gmail notifier sidebar gadget, etc. IE9 x64 will open. Not sure if it breaks anything (didn't on my system) but if it does, you can simply delete the symbolic link you made and rename iexplore32.exe back to iexplore.exe. Unfortunately you can't execute the iexplore32.exe to run the 32-bit version, if you need to use a 32-bit only plug-in (like quicktime or silverlight), so this is probably not very useful unless you install another 32-bit browser for those plug-ins.

There isn't a 64bit silverlight yet? Damnit microsoft. Youve only been doing 64bit since...2001. Open up the source code and paste x64 over those x86's. I really want to see something use silverlight, but no 64 bit seems a little...stupid. Especially since theyve been releasing 64bit IE for a long time (7 or maybe before? so at least 2006). Maybe it will come with a full 9 release.

1. If you have blurry fonts in IE9, hit the compatibility button (broken page icon next to the address bar), the page may be slower but it will look much better. Most sites seem to look ok without this though.

Doing that is basically removing the main reason to use IE9.

There isn't a 64bit silverlight yet? Damnit microsoft. Youve only been doing 64bit since...2001. Open up the source code and paste x64 over those x86's. I really want to see something use silverlight, but no 64 bit seems a little...stupid. Especially since theyve been releasing 64bit IE for a long time (7 or maybe before? so at least 2006). Maybe it will come with a full 9 release.

I think that Microsoft simply thinks and rightly so at this point in time that there's just not enough people using 64 bit browsers to make it worth while. They've said that it will come in time and there's actually a lot out there that does use Sliverlight and it's use is going to explode with Windows 7 Phones as it's the primary development platform for W7 Phone.

I know that many people here are 64bit crazy but right now the world is in a 32bit phone OS craze, 64bit is just not quite relevant in the consumer space just yet.

I like it, seems faster than IE8 on my work Win7x64 laptop
Only thing I cant figure out yet is can you get a drop down favorites menu or are the Favs only shown in the side when you click on the star icon in the upper right?

I use the bookmarks a lot so the new one was kinda annoying.

If you have a multimedia keyboard and happen to have a bookmark key. That will toggle the 'old' style bookmarks on the left side.

I think that Microsoft simply thinks and rightly so at this point in time that there's just not enough people using 64 bit browsers to make it worth while. They've said that it will come in time and there's actually a lot out there that does use Sliverlight and it's use is going to explode with Windows 7 Phones as it's the primary development platform for W7 Phone.

I know that many people here are 64bit crazy but right now the world is in a 32bit phone OS craze, 64bit is just not quite relevant in the consumer space just yet.

I know it's probably not a simple matter to make a 64bit version of software, but if there are no 64bit add-ons available, well then its rather obvious why nobody uses 64bit browsers. You can't have one without the other really, since things like Flash are essential for most people unfortunately.

Doing that is basically removing the main reason to use IE9.

Well, if you install IE9 and use IE9, using the compatibility button on a few websites until they/IE9 gets fixed is better than uninstalling IE9 and going back to IE8, since you still get hardware acceleration on other sites, and html5/svg/css 3/etc. on proper html5 sites, and you also get the much faster javascript + attractive interface.

I know, I was just speaking with regards to only the sites that need IE8 or lower emulation.

I use the bookmarks a lot so the new one was kinda annoying.

If you have a multimedia keyboard and happen to have a bookmark key. That will toggle the 'old' style bookmarks on the left side.

Does your "broswer" button have a "home" function now? (instead of opening a new browser)

Main gripes with it so far are..
1: No progress bar when loading webpages. I know it has the spinning wheel, but that does little good for what we need to watch at work.

2: You no longer have a favorites bar. I realize very few use this, but I use it for my daughter so she can find her web pages with ease.

other than those I find it pretty damn good.

Do you mean a Home button? There's s silhouette of a house, a star and a cog on the right side.

I like it. I don't think I could use it though because the bookmark button is in the wrong spot. I have to have it in the upper left sector of the screen.

If Microsoft lets us drag around icons that would be great. I still have to have my add-ons though so I'll be sticking with FF even if they fix this. Plus FF 4.0 is virtually the same and I get to keep my add-ons.

Main gripes with it so far are..
1: No progress bar when loading webpages. I know it has the spinning wheel, but that does little good for what we need to watch at work.

2: You no longer have a favorites bar. I realize very few use this, but I use it for my daughter so she can find her web pages with ease.

other than those I find it pretty damn good.[/QUOTE

Right click on the tabs bar and select Favorites Bar.

Back