i7 couldn't handle norton and adobe

sonofwolf

n00b
i was told the 920 was one of the fastest on the market, so when i installed the cs4 collection and internet security 2008, i was a little angry to see that the computer was acting really slow and laggy while a virus scan was happening. even when norton wasn't running, ever since i'd installed the cs4 collection, it just wasn't performing as strongly as i'd like it to. is this a software problem or just that computers aren't truly as fast as people say they are?

also, i had installed a shoddy generic psu the first night i got the computer, and did get a burning rubber smell from the 3 hours i had left it in there, so i ended up replacing it with a regular one. even if the parts didn't "fry", can they still run at partial speed as a result of that?

WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!

What HDD do you have?

And as we said in your PSU thread: Parts do not run at partial speed due to a crappy PSU. They are either damaged (latent and visibily) and unstable or just working fine and dandy. A crappy PSU will only affect the stability of the system, not the performance of a system.

well what i was asking was, would the parts permanently run at partial speed whether i got a new psu or not?

well what i was asking was, would the parts permanently run at partial speed whether i got a new psu or not?

No. They'll run at the same speed whether you had a new or that shitty PSU. However, the system would run significantly more stable with a new quality PSU.

your hdd is fine, and they'll just run at partial speed until your power supply gives up and dies.

No. They'll run at the same speed whether you had a new or that shitty PSU. However, the system would run significantly more stable with a new quality PSU.

if a cpu is starving for power, a computer will indeed run slower.

so what might be causing the lag of running norton then? when i tried opening firefox during a scan, it took firefox literally 5 minutes before the window popped up. everything else was just ridiculously laggy. i'm coming from a single core 3ghz intel processor that was made in 2004 to this, so i'm just a little disappointed with the difference in performance.

anything is going to crawl while norton is running. Its fucking NORTON.
Seriously, blue gene/L would crawl if it was forced to run norton.

Yeah I concur with GLSauron: It's Norton.

The latest version of Norton, 2009, is good, lightweight, etc. However older versions, like 2008, are dog slow.

Honestly I think your "performance issues" are software related, not hardware related.

what OS?

run a hardware scan of your system. seagate has tools to check the HDD and Hiren's Boot CD has PC-Doctor and other tools for the CPU, memory, and system board and some stability tests. also use OCCT 2.x for stability running Linpack with HyperThreading enabled. let it run about 8 hours...if the system is still on and OCCT completed successfully then the system is stable and most likely has no hardware failures.

It sounds like you're complaining about the speed of the CPU when the problem is a bottleneck with the hard drive and shitty software.

nod32 by far. I install NIS2009 at work and it's an abysmal piece of work.

Antivirus software is notorious for hammering the hard drive, even lightweight AV software is guilty of it.

+1. Great little free anti-virus that gets the job done.

Also, when you're running all of these things (anti-virus, photoshop, etc), what other processes are running in task manager? If you open up task manager, what is your RAM/CPU usage?

+1. Great little free anti-virus that gets the job done.

Also, when you're running all of these things (anti-virus, photoshop, etc), what other processes are running in task manager? If you open up task manager, what is your RAM/CPU usage?

CPU - 25-30%

RAM - 25% of 6GB

25-30% CPU usage just when Photoshop is open?

Something fishy going on thar...

CPU - 25-30%

RAM - 25% of 6GB

Have you tried to clean the computer and the registry? CCleaner and Spybot are good places to start. Perhaps a thorough defrag is in order as well.

My i7 920 setup has no problem handling many tasks at once, so I'm thinking that there may be some other programs and/or processes hijacking your system resources.

Antivirus like anything else is a trade off. You gain virus protection at the cost of some system performance. For example - Kaspersky screws with my TF2 (stuttering) so I have to turn it off when I use it. Find the bottleneck and address it. Start with your hard drive, as mention defrag, ect. You should be running the AV scan while your are AWAY from your computer.

Last edited:
What a silly thread. Why don't you blame your sound card for slowing down your computer?

Look if that antivirus of yours is scanning the files of your computer, of course it's going to go slow. Get rid of norton and replace it like everyone says. And if you still hate the slowdown when an antivirus scans your HDD, get rid of your hard drive as well (i.e. upgrade to an SSD).

25-30% CPU usage just when Photoshop is open?

Something fishy going on thar...

Hows that? Photoshop is not going to use anymore CPU cycles than any other prog sitting at idle, I am running a scan in Avast, I have 10 FF windows open AND I have CS4 open and I am sitting at a 4-8% CPU usage (3.31GB RAM usage).

To the OP, get rid of Norton, and pick up any of the ones suggested, they will all be better progs. and well, best thing to do...Run your scans when you go to bed, that way its not hammering your HDD wile you are using it. Any anti-virus is going to hit the HDD hard because of the scan, that's what a anti-virus does....It scans...If you want it to be faster, get 2 SSD's one for OS and progs and the other as a scratch disk for photoshop.

Have you tried to clean the computer and the registry? CCleaner and Spybot are good places to start. Perhaps a thorough defrag is in order as well.

My i7 920 setup has no problem handling many tasks at once, so I'm thinking that there may be some other programs and/or processes hijacking your system resources.

i'm running convertxtodvd right now, and my cpu is using 25-35% processing power, and 30% of 6gb RAM. the video is rendering at average 250fps. how does this compare with your experience on the i7 920?

Last edited:
BlueFireIce said:
Hows that? Photoshop is not going to use anymore CPU cycles than any other prog sitting at idle, I am running a scan in Avast, I have 10 FF windows open AND I have CS4 open and I am sitting at a 4-8% CPU usage (3.31GB RAM usage).

Exactly, his 25-30% CPU usage is way too high for idle, something weird is going on.

The problem is likely not the hardware. I run CS4....have Photoshop and Premeire Pro open right now, both with projects live on them and literrally 0% CPU usage as I am typing this and paging 4.2GB of RAM (12GB in the box). This system stays tremendously responsive. Will run up 6GB with big projects working in CS4 apps, but it is NEVER sluggish.

Open up Resource Monitor and see what is using that CPU.

If I had to guess it would be one of two things.....Norton, its a pig, get rid of it and go with AVG.....or see if you have Windows Search Indexing turned on as it can do some crazy stuff.

Go into a command window and type services, look for Windows Indexing and turn it off and see what happens after a 15 minute period. Windows indexing has always proven to be more problems than good for me.

Exactly, his 25-30% CPU usage is way too high for idle, something weird is going on.

what could be the problem then? here are my specs:

Intel Core i7 920 Processor

Corsair XMS3 Tri Channel 6GB PC12800

Asus P6T Motherboard

EVGA GeForce GTX 260

Antec EA650 650W

Peripherals:

Seagate ST310005N1A1AS-RK 1TB 7200 RPM

Seagate ST3400633AS-RK 400GB 7200 RPM

Sony CD-RW

Memorex Single Layer DVD-RW

I'm running on the stock fan as well, if that counts for anything.

Well surely if your CPU usage is 25-30% you can see what processes are actually using the CPU too?

it's using 25-35% of the CPU when rendering video in ConvertXtoDVD.

ConvertXtoDVD is singlethreaded (2 threaded at best, but that is more of a claim than actual Cores usage, when looking at CPU load, at least when I used the software, about 1.½ years ago.), but are you saying your PC feels slow when encoding divx to mpeg2 (Divx to DVD)?

If that is the case, take a good, hard look at you HDD LED.
Is it constantly on?
If yes, then the culprist is not you motherboard, your CPU or your RAM.
It's your harddrive...let me guess, sourcefile and targetfile on the same hardrive, single HD, not in RAID?

Ah, sorry, I thought you meant to low, and I thought he was running Norton and it was to blame for the high usage.

it's using 25-35% of the CPU when rendering video in ConvertXtoDVD.

I think what he is asking is to open up task manager and look under processes or open up resource monitor and see what program is using those CPU cycles, not what you have open.

Look at your process list and identify which process is running high. NB was your virus checker reactionary (i.e. you believe you were already infected and hence installed it) or preventionary? if the former then you may already have a virus. Is the CS4 legit? (of course you are not going to answer that if it is not) but if you downloaded it illegally then it may have a virus/malware/trojan of it's own that is hitting your CPU.

Look at your process list and identify which process is running high. NB was your virus checker reactionary (i.e. you believe you were already infected and hence installed it) or preventionary? if the former then you may already have a virus. Is the CS4 legit? (of course you are not going to answer that if it is not) but if you downloaded it illegally then it may have a virus/malware/trojan of it's own that is hitting your CPU.

Last time I dealt with something like this, it was Pirated Adobe Software. :rolleyes:

my vote is kaspersky or avira. either one can be turned off completely without any processes running in the background permanently... and when running, have few, 1-3 processes.

AV comparatives begs to differ, and just from reading how they are doing it, you should able to tell AV comparative is miles ahead of tom.

So very true, back in the day everyone hated norton but it was often ranked top in finding new viruses, but was just bloated and slow, i have seen many mixed reviews on AV sites, some say NOD rules, other rank it at the bottom, seems they are all, all over the place.

Last time I dealt with something like this, it was Pirated Adobe Software. :rolleyes:

Ya, this could be it too, i have seen patched exe files peg cpu usage and other things like that and to buy the CS suite is a good chunk of change....

Back