I got my LianLi PC-A05B ! it's Small!

Put some 5 cent molding around that.. the rough cut looks terrible on such a nice case.

Put in the 2 x 120mm AC Ryan Rad Grill this weekend.

Now I am ready for the extra heat my case is going to have Tuesday. :D

A05Bryan.jpg

This is my extremely quiet storage/browsing rig. 400 RPM fans, sound damping material, passive video card, and suspended Green Power and laptop hard drives make it completely silent 99% of the time, even to my sensitive ears. The switch on the front is a DPDT switch. It changes power between the two drives, effectively giving me two completely separate systems in one.

71cb8053.jpg

162c0937.jpg

5a8c6889.jpg

Nice and clean...AND quiet!

What foam did you use and did you notice any difference in noise or vibrations after applying the foam?

Thanks!

Nice and clean...AND quiet!

What foam did you use and did you notice any difference in noise or vibrations after applying the foam?

Thanks!

Well, I originally didn't intend to use any sound damping foam, but when I got everything set up, there was an intermittent high-pitched ringing sound coming from my computer, only audible because everything else was so quiet. I set up everything outside the case, and after lots of careful listening, found that there were a few places on the motherboard making buzzing noises whenever there was any sort of load on the rig, especially websites with flash animations. At a longer distance, like outside of the case, the buzzing became a very high-pitched ring. I couldn't be positive if it was the motherboard making the noise, or the video card or ram. It was driving me so insane, I thought I was getting tinnitus.

The foam helped a little, but I can still hear the noise when its quiet out. Now that its summer though, its never quiet :p. Its part 8614K82 and 8614K811 at Mcmaster.

Finally got mine up!

After the cut:

Front:

Side (please pardon the dust):

Some fresh air for my PSU:

The guts:

I'm currently using some old UV lights...thinking about replacing them some other color. I really don't want to get blue just because they're overdone but they'd match so perfectly with the blue power LED and the Lian Li temperature sensor. What do you guys think?

EDIT: Sorry for the crappy lighting...I didn't notice how grainy the images came out.

Well, I originally didn't intend to use any sound damping foam, but when I got everything set up, there was an intermittent high-pitched ringing sound coming from my computer, only audible because everything else was so quiet. I set up everything outside the case, and after lots of careful listening, found that there were a few places on the motherboard making buzzing noises whenever there was any sort of load on the rig, especially websites with flash animations. At a longer distance, like outside of the case, the buzzing became a very high-pitched ring. I couldn't be positive if it was the motherboard making the noise, or the video card or ram. It was driving me so insane, I thought I was getting tinnitus.

The foam helped a little, but I can still hear the noise when its quiet out. Now that its summer though, its never quiet :p. Its part 8614K82 and 8614K811 at Mcmaster.

Thanks for the part numbers!

the noise sounds like coil-whine to me. I had a mATX abit that had the same exact symptoms you described.

*could be coil whine from the PSU as well.

I'm currently using some old UV lights...thinking about replacing them some other color. I really don't want to get blue just because they're overdone but they'd match so perfectly with the blue power LED and the Lian Li temperature sensor. What do you guys think?

EDIT: Sorry for the crappy lighting...I didn't notice how grainy the images came out.

You should try some plain white cathodes. I use them in mine, and they look really classy. They (surprisingly) aren't all that common.

Finally got mine up!

Looks good! I agree that blue cathodes would match the power LED (which you could replace) and temperature sensor (of which one probe is broken), but I'm partial to red lighting on a black case. Most everything else seems tacky to me.

Granted, white would look pretty classy (propz to previous poster) but I imagine it'd get irritating if you left them on for a while.

You should def. re-take the pictures, I know you can do better ;)

I'm very pleased with the S-Flex SFF21E's yet again. (The 4 120mm fans in my V1000 are all SFF21E's.) My old A05B had Yate Loon D12SL-12's, which compared to the S-Flex are more noisy and weaker on airflow. I am an S-Flex fan for life. ;)

Based solely on your glowing review, I bought a couple of SFF21E's to mount in my Ryan Radiator. BEST FANS EVER!!

I also have some of the famous Yate Loon D12SL-12's. I agree with you, they aren't even in the same league.

I just placed an order and will be replacing all of my 120mm fans in all of my systems with the SFF21E's. :D

This is my extremely quiet storage/browsing rig. 400 RPM fans, sound damping material, passive video card, and suspended Green Power and laptop hard drives make it completely silent 99% of the time, even to my sensitive ears. The switch on the front is a DPDT switch. It changes power between the two drives, effectively giving me two completely separate systems in one.

71cb8053.jpg

162c0937.jpg

5a8c6889.jpg

What kind of camera did ya use for your pictures, cause they sharp and clean.

Hey guys, amazing thread here! Inspired me to get a PC-A05B too! Anyway I just want to know if its worth spending $20 on those rad grillz to have 2 120mm exhaust fans or should I just stick with a single 120mm blowhole on the top? Would it make much of a difference cooling my 8800GTS G80?

G80 doesn't run that hot... IMO I'd test it first before modding, It's not necessary in every situation.

Hey guys, amazing thread here! Inspired me to get a PC-A05B too! Anyway I just want to know if its worth spending $20 on those rad grillz to have 2 120mm exhaust fans or should I just stick with a single 120mm blowhole on the top? Would it make much of a difference cooling my 8800GTS G80?

It depends on a lot of factors. For example, I was running a 8600GT in my case with no blow holes at all in the top. Everything ran just fine with no crazy temps. However I upgraded to a HD4850 with a single slot cooling solution. This means the card is dumping 100% of the heat directly into the case. This is what made me go for the dual 120mm with the rad grillz.

If you have a G80 that vents the heat out the back of the case, then a single 120mm blowhole might be more than enough. Hell if you plan on running the card at stock you probably don't need a blowhole at all.

hey everyone. i'm looking to get this case, as i'm really impressed with it after going through this thread. i have a couple questions though. as far as the window, what is the best way to go about doing it? I would really like one at some point. I really like the look of the cut side panel with the window attached inside. I have a dremel but don't want to risk messing the cut up with it being uneven. is there some sort of place i could take it too that would cut it for me and give me a perfect straight cut? i'm also planning on doing the 120x2 rad grill on top, but I should be able to do that myself, since the actual grill should cover any minor imperfections in the cut, correct? thanks in advance for any help. i'm looking forward to getting this case. it will be my first lian li :) haha.

I've been asked this a few time already, so I'll just post it in the thread.

Bsport said:
Hi was reading the PC-A05B thread, and see you removed the top did you just drill out the rivet, cut the blowhole and re-rivet it?.

regards

Bsport

To remove the top, I just drilled out the rivets. There are only 4 holding the top on the case and all are easy to get to. I then did all of the work on the top installed the fans and grill. To reattach the top, I used screws to make removal in the future easy. Since this case is aluminum, the frame is soft enough that with a little force and a steady hand you can get the screws to self tap.

Rebuilt the 'innards' with my IP35-E now that I have the IP35 Pro in my V1000.
A few updated pics...(need to post a few others in the LL thread as well)

IMG_1497.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg

so i got my case yesterday and just finished the first blowhole. now I want to make another one but I want it to line up with a 240mm swiftech rad. anyone got measurements for that? heres a pic:
DSCF0009.jpg

Quick question for those of you who reversed your hard drives (I posted this on the v600/a05b hybrid thread too):

Did you have to take your front exhaust fan out in order to fit the reversed hard drives? My hard drives won't fit in reverse--they just run into the front fan.

so i got my case yesterday and just finished the first blowhole. now I want to make another one but I want it to line up with a 240mm swiftech rad. anyone got measurements for that? heres a pic:
snip..

hey man, good job with that blowhole. it looks nicely done the way the rubber molding fits with the grill.

Quick question for those of you who reversed your hard drives (I posted this on the v600/a05b hybrid thread too):

Did you have to take your front exhaust fan out in order to fit the reversed hard drives? My hard drives won't fit in reverse--they just run into the front fan.
i posted pics few pages back here. Yes you have to take the fan out and you need 90° sata/power plugs too. i modded my fan so its mounted on the inside of the case but sticks outide the case (just cut part the the fan shroud). if you go that route its best to drill a hole in the front for optimal airflow. most people like the clean front of the a05 but if you want the best cooling its the way to go. i tested alot with cardboard panels with fans and found this to be the best. i also drilled 2 holes in the side.

dsci0504px5.jpg

Im not the best modder but i think it looks good and thats all that matters. the bottom fan on the side fits just bearly between the hdd rack/psu and my TRUE, its awesome.

my rig folds 24/7 and in these warm summer months(no AC) my B3 Q6600 peaks at 50c load on the cores, which is great in this small case.

has anyone put a radbox on the back of this case with a dual radiator? Are there any issues with the psu cable getting in the way?

Thanks!

Man I love Lian-Li. Still saving up for a V2000 full tower case. One day I'll have it...

Cleaned it up a bit more this morning. I decided that I didn't want to move than front fan up to reverse the hdd's so I did the best I could...might end up reversing them later if I can find a sweet grill to put at the front of my comp. Anyways, here are some pics:

img0353uh9.jpg

img0350bz5.jpg

img0357ws1.jpg

Raxxath: If i want to get the anti noise foam as well, how much should i get if i want to cover the 3 side panels, and top+bottom? Also, what fan controller is that?

I think they just buy a window kit and cut it out and install it themselves.

Hey serious1 where do you buy that black rubber stuff around the fan? And does your video card blow heat out he back? I noticed how you had one fan intake and the other outtake.

Back