HTC Vive Owners Thread

DSR eh? Interesting. I wonder how NVIDIA handles that, even though the control panel doesn't "count" the Vive as a "display", at least in direct mode.

Setting DSR factor resolution kicks the Vive out of ready mode. I guess I will have to look up how to get it to work.
Saw this vid

Ya, I've read those but it hasn't helped much. I have almost a thousand hours wearing night vision goggles, so I am familiar with focusing instruments on my head. The Vive only has IPD and eye relief. The screen door affect is massively apparent to me, as is the blurriness of non-central vision. I'd wager about half the pixels in the display are blurred due to the fresnel lens, making it look even that much more blurry. No way you could use this thing in a detailed environment like a fighter cockpit.

Given all that, I just beat Xortex in "the lab" and was giddy. That is some of the most fun I've had in a game in a while. VR definitely won't be going away this time. Now bring on the 4K overlords to VR! Thinking about cancelling my Rift. Not sure what it would do better than the Vive? Except may be lighter. Even though they both have the same woeful resolution, maybe the Rift's fresnel lenses etc will make a clearer image. I've read the Rift also doesn't have as much screen door effect, but I guess I'll find out when I get it.

I have to say, firing up elite dangerous on my vive was one of the coolest gaming experiences i have had. It was similar to the first time i played quake.
So I wasn't charged after my hold on my card expired and I was a bit tired of being jerked around so on Friday I decided to cancel my order. I contacted HTC support and they said, no problem, you haven't been charged yet and your HMD hasn't shipped yet, so just fill out this Customer Support form and all should be gold, so I did...4 hours later FedEx notified me that a package was on the way to me from HTC. I got in contact with HTC support again and they said, sure we can stop the package, give us a sec...a second later, we encountered a problem, we need to elevate the issue someone will be in contact with you in 24-48 hours, 4 hours later I got an email from HTC telling me to be happy my Vive is on its way :-/ This morning I get an email telling me that since the Vive was already in the middle of shipping, they are unable to process the cancellation, I can either decline the package and get a refund 5-7 days later or accept my Vive no harm, no foul (were do I get this hint of a threat there?). Anyways, I think I'll accept it and if I'm not happy, ebay it ASAP.

Honestly, it would be foolish not to accept it and eBay it if you don't like it. It's like throwing away free money

Wonder why the user removed that above video, I found it informative.

Just got and setup mine yesterday! I need to buy some tripods or something, cause I need it to be portable... Too many of my friends want demos.

I had my first look on Steams selection of Vive VR titles and theres a lot already!
Plenty of free stuff too, it should be entertaining.
If you havent already had a look, its very easy to view Vive + free stuff.
There is a shed load of cheap stuff as well.
Reviews will be handy for the rest.

I was marginally put off after seeing the low res of the Rift (Vive will look slightly worse because it spreads the same res a bit wider).
But sod it, its going to be a few years before the next model comes out because it will need to be quite a bit higher res and the mainstream gfx horsepower to drive it wont exist until then.
So this version will get plenty of use, there will be a stack of things to do on it.
Downside is I'll have to pack up the pool table to get room space.
VR Pool, here I come :p

I've decided against getting a tripod and will DIY a stand or something instead, that will also try to hide the power cables.

I have my Vive setup in my living room with large HDTV as the companion monitor, as others can watch what you are doing. While giving tips or laughing at funny moments. It's weird, I never thought that VR could be such a social experience.

As far as games probably Holopoint and BrookHaven Experience have been my favorite.

Last edited:
I was in pending fulfillment status for about a week then it shipped Monday, arrived Tuesday (TODAY!!!!)

At work now, and going to play it pretty much until tomorrow. Very Very excited guys!

I had to email HTC for my steam codes, but got them maybe 2 hours later. Awesome. Just amazed at how much better HTC is doing compared to Oculus

Similar, pending for a week.
I got confirmation of shipping from DHL 12 hrs before HTC told me it was on the way.
5hrs after the HTC email they sent the steam code.

Just got my Vive. Won't have much time to play it over next week. Shit timing as usual!

damn yous!!!!

When did you guys order?

I placed mine on the 7th of April and still haven't heard anything. I've seen others that ordered on the same day have received theirs already.

I was in pending fulfillment status for about a week then it shipped Monday, arrived Tuesday (TODAY!!!!)

At work now, and going to play it pretty much until tomorrow. Very Very excited guys!

I had to email HTC for my steam codes, but got them maybe 2 hours later. Awesome. Just amazed at how much better HTC is doing compared to Oculus

Just got my Vive. Won't have much time to play it over next week. Shit timing as usual!

ouch! I wouldn't be able to sleep lol

damn yous!!!!

When did you guys order?

I placed mine on the 7th of April and still haven't heard anything. I've seen others that ordered on the same day have received theirs already.

March 31st is when I ordered mine. Whats your location? Its still early in May, they seem to be moving REALLY quick, so i'd expect before the end of the month. I also used paypal for payment, not sure if that changes anything or not.

damn yous!!!!

When did you guys order?

Shipping allocation is region specific.

Got my Vive and its not a pleasant experience.
The centre is in focus but if my eyes look outside of that slightly, one eye goes out of focus while the other is still focused.
To read text in focus I have to look at it with my eyes dead centre and move my head to point at the words as I read them.
Moving my eyes further out it is very blurred and both eyes blur a different amount.
I can still read off centre but my eyes are seeing 2 different things and its blurred.
It spoils the VR experience too. I had such high hopes.
The eye spacing is at its best setting, that didnt help.
The lens distance helps a bit but nowhere near enough but it also reduces the FOV substantially so thats no use.
See what tech supp has to say.

My friends Rift isnt like this. The Vive is also less comfortable and the ear buds are not a good fit, one wont go in properly using the smallest buds. The latter can be fixed with headphones if I can get the focus issue sorted.
I'll have my friends opinion on the Vive tomorrow.
Hope I dont have to return it.

Sounds like you don't have your IPD adjusted correctly Nenu. Also the Vive does have a "sweet spot" due to the lens, and it is blurry out of that sweet spot. You can make the sweet spot larger by getting your eyes as close as you can to the lens, which will also increase the FOV.

It is true the Rift lens have a larger sweet spot.

Sounds like you don't have your IPD adjusted correctly Nenu. Also the Vive does have a "sweet spot" due to the lens, and it is blurry out of that sweet spot. You can make the sweet spot larger by getting your eyes as close as you can to the lens, which will also increase the FOV.

It is true the Rift lens have a larger sweet spot.

Eye spacing didnt help (I covered this amongst my griping). I found the best spot which is around 61 and verified it a ton of times. Its not beyond the end stop so it is set adequately. It doesnt affect the blurring problem.
I tried the larger foam face pad and the blurring problem was worse, the sweet spot was smaller.
Pushing the Rift into my face made a decent difference enlarging the sweet spot but it cant be used like that and it wasnt enough.

I'll further the example of how the blurring manifests.
When looking just off centre up or down I stated that one eye blurs while the other doesnt.
If I keep tracking my eyes at the same object while turning my head left/right, the eye that blurs and the eye that focuses change.

Its as though the lenses are not aligned with my eyes as you suggested. If someone else posted this problem I would say the same as you.
It looks like the left/right focal points of the lenses dont match up with each eye and the IPD needs adjusting.
I wish that worked.

I have a feeling its because I have high cheek bones and their position is somehow not compatible with the Vive design because pushing the headset into my face helps quite a bit.
What I normally see has too small a sweet spot.

Last edited:
Eye spacing didnt help (I covered this amongst my griping). I found the best spot which is around 61 and verified it a ton of times. Its not beyond the end stop so it is set adequately. It doesnt affect the blurring problem.
I tried the larger foam face pad and the blurring problem was worse, the sweet spot was smaller.
Pushing the Rift into my face made a decent difference enlarging the sweet spot but it cant be used like that and it wasnt enough.

I'll further the example of how the blurring manifests.
When looking just off centre up or down I stated that one eye blurs while the other doesnt.
If I keep tracking my eyes at the same object while turning my head left/right, the eye that blurs and the eye that focuses change.

Its as though the lenses are not aligned with my eyes as you suggested. If someone else posted this problem I would say the same as you.
It looks like the left/right focal points of the lenses dont match up with each eye and the IPD needs adjusting.
I wish that worked.

I have a feeling its because I have high cheek bones and their position is somehow not compatible with the Vive design because pushing the headset into my face helps quite a bit.
What I normally see has too small a sweet spot.
Definitely getting the right positioning of the HMD is crucial for the best experience. This placement is different for everyone as everyone's face is different. In VR you do need to train yourself not to look by turning your eyes, but by turning your head to look around.

High cheek bones could keep you from getting the best experience also. Many people have modded the HMD face pads for the best visual fit. Here is an easy mod you can try to see if it helps you.

Modding the Vive is important!

Hmm, thanks for that, it might be the grail I was looking for!
I'll see if support have another face pad before I hack mine.

The one I posted above doesn't alter your face-pad, it only moves where the pad sits on the Velcro. Its a really simple mod that can be put back to stock in seconds.

Last edited:
I just picked up Hover Junkers for the Vive last night. Holy crap!! I was so freaking blown away with this multiplayer shooter that I was damn giggling like a freaking school kid!!! I actually forgotten I was at my house, thats how engrossed I was in the game. I haven't really experienced that with any other Vive game yet. It's really hard to explain the awesomeness of this game in words. But I put it at the level of the first time I played Mario Bros on the NES. This game is really the first of its kind.

Yes it's $35 which is pricey for a VR game, but it is so worth every penny for the experience you get!!! I read some reviews that a couple people experienced lag, but they must have had some server or ping internet issues because it was spot on for me. The ducking for cover and shooting mechanics are just so damn fun!!

The level of presence when you are in multiplayer and someone else is currently there with you, giving you a thumbs up (if friend) and giving you the middle finger after her shoots you is something that must be witnessed.

There is a learning curve so you might get your butt handed to you at first, until you get the mechanics down. Tip, spend a good amount of time in the target range and practice aim and quick reloads.

It's a little early to tell how much replay value it has, but man it is so damn cool!

Last edited:
I just got a tracking number for the order I placed April 13th. I'm super excited. I guess I'll be watching the setup tutorial on youtube tonight. The Vive itself should be here Wednesday May 25th according to Fedex. I plan to get started with The Lab and Hover Junkers.

What games are you guys playing? I haven't picked up hover junkers yet (price is a little high) but I've been playing the hell out of "out of Ammo" and having a blast with it. For those unaware, It's a top down RTS/tower defense game. Looking for something with a little more depth...

I just got a tracking number for the order I placed April 13th. I'm super excited. I guess I'll be watching the setup tutorial on youtube tonight. The Vive itself should be here Wednesday May 25th according to Fedex. I plan to get started with The Lab and Hover Junkers.

very nice! enjoy :)

The older I get, the quicker I get bored with single player experiences. I have a good friend with a Vive, so I'm getting Hover Junkers for the coop.

What games are you guys playing? I haven't picked up hover junkers yet (price is a little high) but I've been playing the hell out of "out of Ammo" and having a blast with it. For those unaware, It's a top down RTS/tower defense game. Looking for something with a little more depth...

Steam summer sale is so close that it might be worth it to hold off on buying these games. I never take my own advice though, I've been buying games left and right. Still haven't bought Hover Junkers but I probably will this weekend.

For a little more depth you could try Vanishing Realms for 20 bucks. It is like a first person Zelda-esque adventure RPG. Like most of the first person perspective games you will need to teleport. A bit of a slow pace to it but very nice IMO.

I find Audioshield to be my favorite game as far as being able to play it a long time. It is easy to play, fun, and it gets people dancing around to a song they can choose so although it is simple it is highly replayable.

Final Approach is a cool concept and can offer a higher degree of difficulty than most of the other games I've tried. The difficulty comes from the micromanaging required.

Hordez is really cool, I had doubts but was glad I bought it after firing it up the first time. I feel I've barely dived into this one at all as I haven't even attempted harder difficulties where the different zombie types come for you.

very nice! enjoy :)
Games with the most depth I have seen right now are Project Cars & Elite Dangerous. In PCars the low res seems to be more noticeable, but man is the racing immersive when you have wheel/pedals to go with it. So fun if you race with some VR friends.

Anyone can join our Vive steam group for some Vive info or multiplayer.

Steam Community :: Group :: VIVE VR

Games with the most depth I have seen right now are Project Cars & Elite Dangerous. In PCars the low res seems to be more noticeable, but man is the racing immersive when you have wheel/pedals to go with it. So fun if you race with some VR friends.

Anyone can join our Vive steam group for some Vive info or multiplayer.

Steam Community :: Group :: VIVE VR

I tried both Project Cars and Elite Dangerous last night for the first time in VR and have to agree with you. I have owned both for over a year so I am pretty familiar with playing them on a regular monitor. You're right about the res in PCars but overall I found it to be amazing. I had my wheel out and it felt so good whipping around the corners. I'm still terrible but I felt like I could play this for quite a long time with the headset on.

Elite felt so much different than on the regular monitor. Even just sitting at the landing pad or at the outfitters in a base was incredible compared to the regular monitor. I found myself laughing at how insane it felt. I did two cargo runs in my Type-7 and called it a night. Just like with PCars and the wheel, the HOTAS setup really adds a lot to the experience and immersion. I'm really looking forward to jumping back into Elite and finding where I left my Vulture so I can try some combat in VR.

I find Audioshield to be my favorite game as far as being able to play it a long time. It is easy to play, fun, and it gets people dancing around to a song they can choose so although it is simple it is highly replayable.

HUGE thanks for suggesting this! I'd like your post again if I could lol

I've been on the fence about it since getting my Vive but you convinced me to pull the trigger and I'm so glad that I did. These types of games aren't really my forte, typically, but I've been meaning to get more cardio into my life (in an upper condo and can't have a treadmill or other types of cardio equipment) and holy balls this did it!

First game was a little awkward getting used to it... but I then mapped my server to a network drive to get access to my own music and had a blast. I found myself really punching pretty hard and moving around quite a bit trying to get my scores up. My heart rate was way up and I was soaked with sweat after an hour... and so was my poor vive lol. Now to find a way to either protect or replace the foam facepad. I may try to wrap it with some vinyl/leather or something so it's easy to just wipe down.

I'm loving that, being an early adopter, I'm #1 on many leaderboards of quite a few songs lol

HUGE thanks for suggesting this! I'd like your post again if I could lol

I've been on the fence about it since getting my Vive but you convinced me to pull the trigger and I'm so glad that I did. These types of games aren't really my forte, typically, but I've been meaning to get more cardio into my life (in an upper condo and can't have a treadmill or other types of cardio equipment) and holy balls this did it!

First game was a little awkward getting used to it... but I then mapped my server to a network drive to get access to my own music and had a blast. I found myself really punching pretty hard and moving around quite a bit trying to get my scores up. My heart rate was way up and I was soaked with sweat after an hour... and so was my poor vive lol. Now to find a way to either protect or replace the foam facepad. I may try to wrap it with some vinyl/leather or something so it's easy to just wipe down.

I'm loving that, being an early adopter, I'm #1 on many leaderboards of quite a few songs lol

Question; do you put your own music into Audioshield or is it built-in songs?

Question; do you put your own music into Audioshield or is it built-in songs?

Both :)

They have a bunch of music already on there, and you can also search online for music (I think), but yeah, you can totally put any song you want into it by just searching your computer. It then keeps scores based on whatever meta data is attached to that particular song.

super slick!

My only real complaint (which isn't a big deal) is I wish it had more than two environments. Hopefully the developer adds more in the future (or allows mods)

Agreed. Love it that he Vive gets you up and moving. I have even heard of some guys putting some 1lb wrist weights on in Audioshield for even more of a challenge. It definitely makes you feel like a badass when you are hitting all the notes on the hardest mode.

I've been having a bit of a problem lately in games like Holopoint and Space Pirate Trainer where I am required to move around and dodge incoming projectiles quite a bit. I'll get the cord twisted up after so much spinning and moving around, and inevitably I end up pulling a cord loose on the little link station. So far this is my number 1 annoyance with the Vive. I've found a very nice and comfortable position for the straps and such to wear the headset and reduce blurriness and focus problems, but now it seems I need to rig something up to help my manage the cord and the link station.

Anyone have good methods for cable management?

edit: After considering my options, I think I'm going to use some velcro tape to keep the Link Station on one side of my computer stand, and then somehow strap down or fasten the start of the Vive cable (s) to the other side of the computer stand.

Last edited:
I've had my Vive for a couple days now, and I'm overall very impressed. The immersion and tracking is freaking amazing. The excellent tracking makes me want more peripherals that are tracked and visible in VR-- keyboard, mouse, controller. The lack of a mic input is disappointing.

I've had my Vive for a couple days now, and I'm overall very impressed. The immersion and tracking is freaking amazing. The excellent tracking makes me want more peripherals that are tracked and visible in VR-- keyboard, mouse, controller. The lack of a mic input is disappointing.

I have a headset w/mic that uses a USB connection. I just plug that into the Vive (top cover comes off and there is a little USB port right there in the headset).

You can then go into the SteamVR settings and under audio options and select a headset mic. Honestly I have not tried to use either mic yet in VR, but in theory it should work fine.

I have a headset w/mic that uses a USB connection. I just plug that into the Vive (top cover comes off and there is a little USB port right there in the headset).

You can then go into the SteamVR settings and under audio options and select a headset mic. Honestly I have not tried to use either mic yet in VR, but in theory it should work fine.
I hadn't noticed the USB port in the Vive HMD. Unfortunately, my Sennheiser headset has 3.5mm jacks.

I ditched the horrible earbuds it came with and use my Corsair 2000 wireless headset. Bulky and hot but have a mic too. Like the built in headphones on the Rift better. Maybe next gen Vive will be better.

For those in apartments or that otherwise don't want to wall mount you can get some tripod/light stands cheap from Amazon: Amazon.com : Neewer Two Aluminum Photo/Video Tripod Light Stands For Studio Kits, Lights, Softboxes-6.23 Feet/ 190CM : Photographic Lighting Booms And Stands : Camera & Photo
I also got some ball joints so I can point them down some: Amazon.com: EXMAX Tripod Mini Ball Head for DSLR Camera Camcorder Light Bracket Swivel 1/4" Screw: Camera & Photo

I'm going to get a big rug for the VR space once I move into my new house. Using one in my apartment now and it's a good way to tell if you're getting close to the edge before the walls kick in, at least for the slow paced programs.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back