HTC Vive Owners Thread

Just ordered my Nephew a unit for his college grad present....any idea how long from order to delivery usually?

They have been working on this one for a while. I hope it's great and adds a twist from the genre norm.

I watched a video of gameplay from Robbaz:

Looks cool graphically and world-wise, but the gun mechanics look like they are lacking a bit. The guns don't really look like they feel powerful, and despite the granularity of the gore system, headshots, even with the basic pistol result in the head just completely exploding. Probably something they could work on, but a more open-world game like this is something VR needs, IMO.

I watched a video of gameplay from Robbaz:

Looks cool graphically and world-wise, but the gun mechanics look like they are lacking a bit. The guns don't really look like they feel powerful, and despite the granularity of the gore system, headshots, even with the basic pistol result in the head just completely exploding. Probably something they could work on, but a more open-world game like this is something VR needs, IMO.

Indeed the graphics look good. The real bullet damage physics system they have going looks awesome. Zombie flesh flying off where you aim your weapon is a nice touch.

hmmm, hope they have a shotgun and all the splatter, chain saw and maybe an axe -:X3:

I picked up the Solus Project on the Steam sale...seems alright though performance is abysmal. Definitely can tell that the game was not originally built for VR, but maybe it will improve over time.

I picked up the Solus Project on the Steam sale...seems alright though performance is abysmal. Definitely can tell that the game was not originally built for VR, but maybe it will improve over time.
What GPU are you using?

In my sig....OCed 1080.

I tried turning down details and resolution scaling but it didn't seem to make a significant difference. If it was just reprojection it wouldn't be so bad, but it was dropping frames pretty regularly and was starting to make me nauseous.

Speaking of reprojection, I had to disable Async because it was causing framrate issues with Irrational Exuberance and I think, to some extent, H3VR. Hopefully they are working on tweaking that because it seems good overall, but the current iteration is messed up.

Speaking of reprojection, I had to disable Async because it was causing framrate issues with Irrational Exuberance and I think, to some extent, H3VR. Hopefully they are working on tweaking that because it seems good overall, but the current iteration is messed up.
There is still a good bit of work being done with Async on Valve's end. Not near complete IMO from speaking with them. They did have some interesting things to say about AMD and Async Repro though. It may be a good ways off, if ever.

Same here. Was hoping to cover it at launch but had to put it on back burner. Doing some SSVR mGPU with NVIDIA now. Probably cover Svrvive next.

Did you ask for details on that?

Oculus' ATW is supported on R9+ (I believe) cards and 400 series cards can handle Async spacewarp, which is much more complex.

Why would Valve not be able to get their version of ATW running on any AMD card?
Yes.
Hardware.

I ordered mine on Black Friday, got it Monday. Took me hours to get it setup. Just downloading all the software which was around 2gigs, took like 4 hours. Guessing vive download servers are smashed. But outside of that? Yea, the setup was that simple. Even the tutorial that it comes with is absolutely crazy. I was surprised at how well that would do. Picked up Raw Data, that Paint App, and Virtual Desktop. Reading threads here in this part of the forum to find the best way to tune it with my 1080 and which games are worth picking up.

but yea.. so far? not disappointed. Lives up to the hype.

PSA: You don't actually need the Vive software at all if you just play Steam games. SteamVR is all that is needed.

I never even installed the Vive software.

Good to know. The setup software wouldnt let me setup the vive system unless I downloaded it all. Sucks being at work today.. =\

not going to lie, My favorite feature of the vive is actually using my computer like a crazy screen. Been playing wow for hours now and its a massive 20 foot screen

not going to lie, My favorite feature of the vive is actually using my computer like a crazy screen. Been playing wow for hours now and its a massive 20 foot screen

Are you using virtual desktop to do it or is there a setting that treats the vive like another monitor? im still banging around getting all the info. i sorta impulsed bought it on Friday.

Are you using virtual desktop to do it or is there a setting that treats the vive like another monitor? im still banging around getting all the info. i sorta impulsed bought it on Friday.
I just pressed the steam button on the controller and clicked desktop.... Opened wow and grabbed a mouse and keyboard.

I ordered mine on Black Friday, got it Monday. Took me hours to get it setup. Just downloading all the software which was around 2gigs, took like 4 hours. Guessing vive download servers are smashed. But outside of that? Yea, the setup was that simple. Even the tutorial that it comes with is absolutely crazy. I was surprised at how well that would do. Picked up Raw Data, that Paint App, and Virtual Desktop. Reading threads here in this part of the forum to find the best way to tune it with my 1080 and which games are worth picking up.

but yea.. so far? not disappointed. Lives up to the hype.
Congrats. Make sure you try Google Earth VR. I was pretty blown away by the different tour setups they have in there.

Strix 1070 has dual HDMI outs, but can you use Display Port to a monitor and HDMI to the Vive at the same time? Or advise on running a 1070 with dual HDMI and single DP to a Vive and a 145Hz 1440p monitor. I think you'd want to keep the DP to the monitor (did Nvidia ever get DP to work on the Vive?), but not sure how all this would work. The monitor and Vive yet to be purchased, it's a Christmas present rig (rig is built) and I'm trying to figure out how to configure it before hand.

Strix 1070 has dual HDMI outs, but can you use Display Port to a monitor and HDMI to the Vive at the same time? Or advise on running a 1070 with dual HDMI and single DP to a Vive and a 145Hz 1440p monitor. I think you'd want to keep the DP to the monitor (did Nvidia ever get DP to work on the Vive?), but not sure how all this would work. The monitor and Vive yet to be purchased, it's a Christmas present rig (rig is built) and I'm trying to figure out how to configure it before hand.

I have a 144hz 1400p monitor on DP, 1080p monitor on DVI, and vive on HDMI. Worked fine on my 980ti and works fine on my Titan XP

Thanks, guys. Sounds like it'll work in whatever configuration, that's good news.

The issue I'm having with non VR games in steam is they fade in and out. I disabled the launch in VR mode, because the theater mode was causing issues. When using the headset and virtual desktop, the game will fade in and out to the "this if real" back ground constantly. Totally unplayable. I've tried putting the game in Window Mode, adjusting the size of the window, adjusting the resolution of the game in window mode, and enabling Vsync, but still no joy. I know I need to mess with it more, search this forum and reddit for more tips and tricks. I've picked up Raw Data, Google Tilt, Island 359, The Lab, and Red Out. Tower Defense / Wave games are cool, but for a collaborative experience with friends? Google Tilt was where it was at. My buddy came over, and randomly he decided to draw a fire pit. Gave me the headset, and I made a 3d tree. Then he drew a tent, I drew a kayak. It randomly became this sound activated camping scene. Having an idea of what to draw and then we both draw an element of it was a LOT of fun. Being able to walk around and teleport around the scene was very very cool. I could see how in a party it would be loads of fun. I've been messing with Super Sampling and I currently have it set to 2.0 with my gigabyte watercooled gtx 1080, and things seem ok. Is there a widget that I can add to my vr experience that tells me frame rate, and when I drop into reprojection mode? Im still way too new to this to tell if things are going side ways. If it helps, I've had zero motion sickness or issues with that.

I haven't been able to get my Vive to work with DP on my 980 Ti, only HDMI. Not a big issue but something to be aware of if you don't have DP on your monitors.

Just got mine in yesterday but it's a present for the kids/family so can't really play with it just yet. I am taking the time to set it up and verify drivers/firmware before hand and DL'ing games so that it will be seamless going from them opening the gift to us all playing. Kids are 8 and 10 so if you have game/app suggestions for their age groups, much appreciated.

I'm also in the group with low graphics till next year (tax refund) so hoping my 7970 can struggle through a few lighter weight games till then, that and my 960m on the laptop.

Last edited:
Even the lighter weight looking games don't always perform that well, so you can't use that as a gauge. My suggestion is to not buy anything without a demo that you can try first to see if the GPU can handle it.

Tilt brush would be good for kids and should be workable on that GPU.. probably..

Just got mine in yesterday but it's a present for the kids/family so can't really play with it just yet. I am taking the time to set it up and verify drivers/firmware before hand and DL'ing games so that it will be seamless going from them opening the gift to us all playing. Kids are 8 and 10 so if you have game/app suggestions for their age groups, much appreciated.

I'm also in the group with low graphics till next year (tax refund) so hoping my 7970 can struggle through a few lighter weight games till then, that and my 960m on the laptop.

Job Simulator

But it suggests at least a 290/970... Can he do negative resolution scaling? I.E. 0.8 instead of 1 >= that people usually do? You can always try it.. worst case is you wait until the new vcard to use it. Might be too intense for that card though. You can monitor frametimes on your monitor using the steamVR tool.

Might want to consider a used 970 and OC the hell out of it. They have to be pretty cheap by now.

Kids games my daughter liked:
Free:
"The Lab" "Waltz of the Wizard"

Not Free:
"Tilt Brush"

Dad liked "Zombie Training Simulator" that might come with your Vive... at first I had my reservations, but when I actually tried it it was fun, and your 7970 might actually run it.

Last edited:
The lab is probably the best thing to try since it is one of the few games that uses dynamic resolution scaling. It can scale down pretty far and valve has reported it working well on an nvidia 680

Well I got done testing "The Lab" with the laptop and the 960m does work but you can see alot of skipping though it is truly functional. Showed the wife and she approves also. So we packed it all back up and now the wait begins...

23 more days

I liked the lab, but while i really liked that sling shot demo, it just wasn't long enough. Is there another VR game like that that allows me to destroy the environment?

There was a city destroy vr game I haven't tried but looks fun

Called maximum vr

I don't know anything about this title, but the concept looks interesting for the price. Reminds me a bit of Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes.

Main things I am concerned about are length and replay value.

Picked up my vive on thursday. I just had a blast playing paint ball in rec room.
Resolution seems significantly better than my old dk2. I do find the ridges annoying in virtual desktop.

I am impressed by minecraft and the doom 3 vive mod,

Really happy with my purchase.

Picked up my vive on thursday. I just had a blast playing paint ball in rec room.
Resolution seems significantly better than my old dk2. I do find the ridges annoying in virtual desktop.

I am impressed by minecraft and the doom 3 vive mod,

Really happy with my purchase.
I never like Minecraft, but in the Vive it is really damn cool. Still need to try Doom, I keep hearing it's really good.

Posted this over in VCards...

I'm setting up a new SFF build for VR..Vive.. and I'm torn between a 1080 and 1070. The 1070 will save me money but am I going to be happy with it in the long run?

What say you Gods of VR?

As much gpu power as you can afford.
You will want as high oversampling as your gfx card can manage because the res is so low.

Back