HP L2335 23" 16ms... sweet

Has anyone figured out if it is possible to switch the orientation of the PIP if you use the monitor in the vertical position?

Hi Leo,

I doubt it but I could be wrong. The screen pivot is all software controlled (whether you use Pivot Pro or video card software / drivers to do it) where as the pip is hardware based.

Hopefully I'm wrong though. Would be cool.

-Cheers :D

Since so many got this monitor, can someone plz answer the questions I posted at this topic?

I would like to know how do PC games that do not support 16:10 mode scale with an ATI Radeon graphic card.
What about XBOX and Playstation 2 games?

Vampirtc said:
Since so many got this monitor, can someone plz answer the questions I posted at this topic?

I would like to know how do PC games that do not support 16:10 mode scale with an ATI Radeon graphic card.
What about XBOX and Playstation 2 games?

Haven't played any PC games.....if there are any specific one's you'd like to know about...if I have them I'll install them. I'm on a Radeon 9700 Pro, btw....I haven't installed any because I'm installing a 6800GT this weekend.

As for Playstation 2.....I'm connected via component cable, and it seems to be hit or miss. Smash Court Tennis Pro Tournament 2 looks frigging amazing, as does Guilty Gear XX. Enter the Matrix looked for the most part pretty good, but kinda jaggy. I was rather depressed to see that Madden 05 looked......well, bad. With the PS2 set for widescreen and madden set for Widescreen the player models looked very jaggy, and for some reason I felt like I was looking at some wierd graphical hybrid between 04 and 98 for the PS......
I'm hoping to try San Andreas tonight.

where can i find or buy one of these monitors? would it be good for my 9800XT? any links or info would be great.. thnx

edit: nvm, i found the link

whoami?: if you don't mind, try installing any game that doesn't support 16:10. Someone mentioned there is no option with ATI drivers to display standard resolutions (4:3 ratio) in a correct with (with black bars on each side).

Anyone know much about s-video. I just bought this monitor (loving it) and plugged in s-video, yet no picture (btw, didnt have the yellow plug/cable) What max res does it transmit? And does it lose signal over say 10metres?

Thanks in advance

whoami?: if you don't mind, try installing any game that doesn't support 16:10. Someone mentioned there is no option with ATI drivers to display standard resolutions (4:3 ratio) in a correct with (with black bars on each side).

Vampirtc,

I could be wrong but I doubt it would be a problem. I have a 6800GT so I'm not sure how an ATI would work with this monitor (though I guess it would be great). The monitor will take a standard res (4:3) and, depending on the HP L2335 monitor setting you use, will either stretch the image to fit the screen or run the image 1:1 meaning you would see black bars on either side. This is monitor hardware dependent, not graphics card dependent. Btw, I think this monitor scales lower resolutions very well personally and even when you stretch a 4:3 to 16:10 I don't think it matters much (matter of opinion I'm sure).

My 2 cents - Shag

Just received and hooked up my L2335.

EDIT: Some first impressions.

* I've found one dead pixel, even though I paid for a guaranteed perfect display.
* The bezel does not only have scratches, it has big DENTS in it.
* Very uneven backlight, bottom left and top right corners.
* Noticeable reddish tint.
* Overall picture quality is on par with my Samsung 171P 17" TFT, or possibly a bit worse.
* Xbox through Component is horrible, you can barely read the text, picture is anything but sharp.
* TV - external TV-tuner through RGB looks horrible as well, just like above, picture isn't sharp.
* Boy, it's much larger than I expected. :)

Overall, I'm not too happy with my purchase, I can't recommend this monitor. The bezel feels cheap and so does the buttons. It's not worth $2000, that's for sure.

I have asked for a Sony SDM-P234B replacement, even though I'll have to pay $500 extra. I'm waiting for their reply right now.

Martin64 said:
Just received and hooked up my L2335.

EDIT: Some first impressions.

* I've found one dead pixel, even though I paid for a guaranteed perfect display.
* The bezel does not only have scratches, it has big DENTS in it.
* Very uneven backlight, bottom left and top right corners.
* Noticeable reddish tint.
* Overall picture quality is on par with my Samsung 171P 17" TFT, or possibly a bit worse.
* Xbox through Component is horrible, you can barely read the text, picture is anything but sharp.
* TV - external TV-tuner through RGB looks horrible as well, just like above, picture isn't sharp.
* Boy, it's much larger than I expected. :)

Overall, I'm not too happy with my purchase, I can't recommend this monitor. The bezel feels cheap and so does the buttons. It's not worth $2000, that's for sure.

I have asked for a Sony SDM-P234B replacement, even though I'll have to pay $500 extra. I'm waiting for their reply right now.

yeah, gotta say...you got the tough-shit end of the deal.

*shrug* win some, lose some...if you were in the US, you'd have an immediate replacement from me. :)

cheers,

dave

dave_graham said:
yeah, gotta say...you got the tough-shit end of the deal.

*shrug* win some, lose some...if you were in the US, you'd have an immediate replacement from me. :)

cheers,

dave

It seems so, yeah. The reddish tint I can live with, but not the backlight problems, it's VERY appearant on black backgrounds. I can live with the dead pixel too, it's on the bottom right corner and the pixels are so damn small on this monitor that it's even difficult to see if you know where it is (you need to nose-touch your monitor almost). I can't accept the huge dents on the monitor either, they're all over the bezel and even the base. I have a feeling this monitor has been refurbished or used by someone else.

Honestly, I can't see how the lot of your are so satisfied with your monitors, so it probably means I got a bad sample. I bought this monitor because it has component inputs, but image quality is unfortunately so bad I won't use it again. Same goes for the TV-tuner, picture looks MUCH better on my Projector. When you pay $2000 you expect to get a good monitor. :)

Yup, shame I don't live in the US, would have cost me $400 less too. :)

Martin64:

One dead pixel is very low although mine didn't have any - how you got someone to agree to no faulty pixels is beyond me!
I had similar issues with bezel and base scratches & dents, their QC sux.
Uneven backlight.... Have you checked this by moving your head around? If the problem appears & disappears its just the usual TFT viewing angle issue.
You should be able to adjust out the reddish tint.
Had absolutely no issues with an Xbox on component input, have you enabled 480p, 720p and 1080 modes?

The Sony is really good but doesn't have component in. Quality of casing is far better. Don't forget that the panel is the same LG-Philips and just as prone to faulty pixels!

P.s I use both the HP & the Sony, the Sony is much nicer but the HP has more useful features - like component in!

DragonRR said:
Martin64:

One dead pixel is very low although mine didn't have any - how you got someone to agree to no faulty pixels is beyond me!
I had similar issues with bezel and base scratches & dents, their QC sux.
Uneven backlight.... Have you checked this by moving your head around? If the problem appears & disappears its just the usual TFT viewing angle issue.
You should be able to adjust out the reddish tint.
Had absolutely no issues with an Xbox on component input, have you enabled 480p, 720p and 1080 modes?

The Sony is really good but doesn't have component in. Quality of casing is far better. Don't forget that the panel is the same LG-Philips and just as prone to faulty pixels!

P.s I use both the HP & the Sony, the Sony is much nicer but the HP has more useful features - like component in!

They have a service where you pay €20 extra to get a monitor that's guaranteed to have no dead pixels. The company is mindfactory.de.
The problem is uneven backlight, not viewing angles.
The reddish tint as I said isn't the main problem, I can live with that, but not some of the other problems.
The Xbox is set to 480p, 720p and 1080i, I'm normally using it for my Projector. :)

EDIT: Heh it's not even funny how uneven the backlight is, the black is dark grey if even that, in the corners. This is the best they could come up with for $2000?

Finally found a great deal on a 24" LCD to replace my defective HPL2335 that I sent back due to the infamous "Black stripe" of death.

Was Shopping at Fry's today and came across the Samsung 24" LCD on sale for $1699 with a $100 MIR.

Unfortuanately they were out of stock, but after closely inspecting the display unit I offered to buy it (discounted for open box of course). They did not have the original box for the Mail in rebate so I got them to sell it to me for $1649!

Not 1 bad pixel and the image quality is superb across the entire secreen - very uniform!

I am very happy with this display and have been enjoying CS:Source in 1600x900 goodness as well as Far Cry and Doom3 in widescreen bliss!

For those looking for an alternative $1799 with a $100 MIR is a great buy on this awesome monitor from Fry's outpost!

DSC00075.jpg

TheGameguru said:
Got mine yesterday along with two more Samsung 172X's... here are some pics... I moved my old 3 LCD's to my second PC.. I'll use them for trading.

Tried to take some shots of Riddick playing on Xbox..but the game is too dark.. The HP 23" is an awesome monitor... not a single dead pixel..

My 172X's look clean too..
Picture_005.jpg

[image resized]
Jesus christ, is that really the size of the box? I was planning on getting the BenQ monitor but that makes me think otherwise, since I move often.

barking frog said:
Jesus christ, is that really the size of the box? I was planning on getting the BenQ monitor but that makes me think otherwise, since I move often.

the box is large...but the monitor does weigh 22 pounds so it needs the packing...

cheers,

dave

I'm going to get a L2335, but I'm looking for a good graphics card to run it.

I need a PCI-Express one, and was going to go for a 6800GT, but it looks like the pci-express versions of it are all being snapped up by OEM's.

What other cards in that price range (~$400) are known to work with the reduced blanking interval ?

What about the X800Pro ?

Thanks,

John

Barking Frog, How do you like that 23 inch Benq monitor? Is it smooth? No ghosting? I saw the rebate too at futureshop -200.00. And it has killer looks. Are you happy with it so far? I would really like your feedback or anyone els who might have the 23 inch panel from BENQ.

Thanks again.

Hi. I'm new to this particular forum, and the HP L2335 (a monster of a tft) really gets my attention.

i'm all ready to get myself one, apart from one issue...

i live in the UK, and a local retailer is holding his last one back for me till 1pm tomorrow. I told them i had to check the response time of the part number, they were unsure if it is a 16ms panel or 25ms panel. I will only purchase it if its a 16ms panel, as i wish to use it for gaming. My Rig is top spec, so this would finish it all off nicely.

Part number on the back of it is P9615A. If anyone here who owns one could confirm if it is a 16ms or 25ms panel, i would really appreciate it. With this sort of money, i need to be 100% sure.

I have also asked HP themselves, but i have had no reply as of yet.

Please put my mind at rest and confirm if a 16ms or 25ms panel is used in the one thats reserved for me.. remember part number is P9615A. :confused:

Thanks!! :)

thanks for those quick replies.

so, with it having part number P9615A on the back, its definately 16ms??

i only had doubts in the first place, after reading THIS and seeing 25ms mentioned.

if its 16ms, then im happy. :)

ALL of these displays are 16ms - the 25ms figure came from a pre-production spec, before LG-Philips knew they'd be able to get the neccessary yield for 16ms parts.

I bought an l2335.. picked it up for a bargain price of £860 GBP :D He was let down with a cancelled order, so i got it for a bargain price. Definately the bargain of the week!!

i'll post photos in a few days.

Has anyone hooked their Xbox up to this screen yet? I seem to remember someone in this thread saying they did that, but can't find the posts. I am using the X2VGA adapter and plugging that into my HP screen and I have to tell you, just about every game I have played on it is a jaggy mess. It looks bad. It then tried the component hookup, that too is a mess, almost as bad as the VGA hookup. Would I have more luck getting a smoother picture going through the S-video port? I was just curious about how some of you were hooking your Xboxes up to this screen. Of course the games I have been playing only support 480p, standard res. So, maybe that is why they look like junk. Any help would be appreciated.

Oh and has anyone noticed a slight high-pitched noise coming from the back of their monitor? If I leave mine plugged in for a while, I start to hear that noise. If I pull the power plug from the monitor, of course the noise goes away and stays away until the monitor has been plugged in for a while. I don't think it is a sign of anything bad, just wanted to see if anyone was having this issue as well.

kraken0698 said:
Oh and has anyone noticed a slight high-pitched noise coming from the back of their monitor? If I leave mine plugged in for a while, I start to hear that noise. If I pull the power plug from the monitor, of course the noise goes away and stays away until the monitor has been plugged in for a while. I don't think it is a sign of anything bad, just wanted to see if anyone was having this issue as well.

My EX HP L2335 was noisy in the same way.
:confused:

kraken0698 said:
Has anyone hooked their Xbox up to this screen yet? I seem to remember someone in this thread saying they did that, but can't find the posts. I am using the X2VGA adapter and plugging that into my HP screen and I have to tell you, just about every game I have played on it is a jaggy mess. It looks bad. It then tried the component hookup, that too is a mess, almost as bad as the VGA hookup. Would I have more luck getting a smoother picture going through the S-video port? I was just curious about how some of you were hooking your Xboxes up to this screen. Of course the games I have been playing only support 480p, standard res. So, maybe that is why they look like junk. Any help would be appreciated.

Yup, I've tried Xbox on my L2335 through Component and I was not impressed at all. Xbox gaming will be done on my projector in the future. :)

I hooked up my PS2 to my L2335, and the quality I got was mixed. It depended on the game. So I went out and bought a 42" HDTV Plasma, and now my gaming is better than ever...

barking frog said:
well I pulled the trigger and got the BenQ for 1800CAD + 126 GST - 200 MIR = 1726CAD ~= 1400 USD

edit:
IMGP1649.JPG

That's hilarious... I have the same background on my HP ... It's a good look :)

)SHAGGY( said:
Where can I find that image?

Thx!

wincustomize.com

search their wallpappers section. They have a lot but I did see it in there, along with a green version of it.

Back