HP L2335 23" 16ms... sweet

It probably has bad pixels. Why else would it be refurbed?

if it has bad pixels and the panel's not replaced can it be sold as "refurbished"? I'd say it just went back to HP and then resold, no refurbishment was involved.

Mysticcal said:
I was planning on getting this panel for a good portion of Xbox, GC, and PS2 Gaming? Should I reconsider? And how does it look in non-native resolutions? Should I hunt for one I can try?

it'll rock for your Xbox and PS2; i don't know if GC allows for scaling.

it'd be good to try it before buying it...heck, it's a hefty 1550.00 from me and elsewhere, so....with PC gaming you can use your GFX card software to do the scaling for you.

btw, i offer a 5 day eval. period.

cheers,

dave

btw, just because i love to pimp myself here... :) this was an email i got from one of the guys who bought a L2335 from me.

"Dave was a first-class fellow to deal with to purchase the LeadTek A400GT and HP L2335, not just because everything ended up perfectly, but when things were going awry with FedEx, UPS and PayPal he was there to sort it out and held himself accountable and communicative at all times. He actually turned some problems with FedEx into solutions! There's no way to get this performance from a big box retailer like Buy.com. I would recommend him and would repeat the experience without hesitation. -- Chris, Alameda, CA"

anyhow, he's not a member on the forums, so....

cheers,

dave

and found out that the logitech z680 center channel fit perfect. :D

and if you work for a huge computer company. you can buy it from CDW $1321

Igthorn said:
http://www.monitorsdirect.com/toolkit/index.shtml

The MonitorDirect Calibrator has a dead pixel test for LCDs. There are other LCD tests as well.

i have had the hp2335 23' lcd for less than a week (bough brand new). and i noticed a dead pixal (in the red state), it's sticking out like a sore thumb, about 2' away from the center of the lcd.

can you please detail what procedure (ie links, information etc) that's needed to inform HP for a possible replacement. (the manufactor date is August 2004), shipped out on sept 30th.

thx

check on HP's site for a technical support #.

call 'em and explain the problem...they MAY replace your monitor.

cheers,

dave

damn that looks nice. Too bad I don't havfe that kind of cash to spend on a monitor. I will have to go with just a 2001FP

This is starting to become silly, but please continue reading, this is some story.

First I ordered the Apple Cinema Display 23" and when I heard of the reddish tint I changed my mind so I requested a refund (the refund is currently on the way from my PayPal account to my bank account). Then I decided to get the 23" Sony SDM-P234 instead, but after I found out the warranty was only valid in the US I skipped that as well. So I ordered the 20.1" Viewsonic VP201B locally (Sweden) since I got a nice deal on it. Today I changed my mind and canceled that order. Guess what? A HP L2335 it is. ;)

At first I didn't like the HP at all and it was out of the question, I thought it looked cheap, not so much the actual display but the silly foot annoyed me. I really wanted a large widescreen monitor so it was either the Apple or the Sony, but both were too expensive to buy locally, I couldn't justify paying nearly $3000 for a monitor, so I got the Viewsonic like I mentioned above. But today I found a pretty good deal at Medianess in Germany, €1660 including shipping for the L2335. w00t!

Since I had just purchased the Innovative 7500 arm (http://www.lcdarms.com/LCDarms/7500.asp) it meant I wouldn't use the HP foot anyway so then I really started considering this bold monitor.

Then I pondered some more and glanced over at my external tv-tuner with progressive scan (http://www.macab.com/macab/eng/products/pro_v_plus/pro_v_plus_eng.htm) which until this point I had only used for my projector (yup, I watch TV on 100", but I don't watch TV very often, I mostly use the projector for movies and the Xbox). I don't even have a regular TV set.

How about if I would mount the monitor arm on the right side of my computer desk (which is a bar desk from IKEA btw :p), and swing out the arm over the sofa table, which is a bit further to my right, when it was telly time? Hmm...we really got something here. :)

Then I took a look at my Xbox setup, which of course has a Xbox High Definition AV Pack with component cables to my projector. Component I thought....doesn't the L2335 have component input? It does! But wait a minute...why play Xbox games and watch movies on a computer monitor when you have a sweet projector setup? Well, I'll tell you two important reasons:

1) Light. A projector requires a dark room, you can't play at mid-day without all the curtains down, which does become depressing in the long run.
2) Cost. A projector light bulb costs about $500 here and lasts around 2000 hours if you're not too picky. Grab your calculator.

There you have it. I'll just name this my 3in1 deal: monitor, widescreen television and xbox display. $2000 is certainly a lot of money for just a monitor, but if you'll use it as television and xbox display as well, at least I can convince myself it's not so bad. ;)

I'll post pictures when I've received the monitor and monitor arm.

You thought you had problems making up your mind? I rest my case. I promise, I won't change my mind again. ;)

I have now ordered and paid for the monitor. I decided to buy the monitor from www.mindfactory.de, I read some reviews about the store and it had good feedback. I paid through wire transfer which means they should receive the money by the end of the week and I should have the monitor sometime next week.

I paid €1641,44 including S&H and "pixel check" service, which means they open the box and test the monitor for dead pixels, which assures you that you get a display with no dead or stuck pixels, or that 2" wide strip some people have reported. I paid €20 for the pixel check service. Thumbs up if this works as advertised!

EDIT: I just noticed that Mindfactory.de states that the monitor has a contrast of 350:1 and a response time of 25ms. I've read through this thread and people have said that all L2335 monitors are in fact 16ms. But just to be sure I mailed HP support and asked if there were different versions of the L2335 and they replied (translated from Swedish):

"Hello Martin,

It is correct about what you say. The monitor has a contrast of 350:1 and "less" than 25ms response time. Additionally, this is a good monitor with many nice functions.

Regards,

Firstname Lastname - HP SalesLink"

dave_graham? Have I bought a monitor with 25ms reponse time? Are there two different versions? That's a horrible reply from HP btw, they didn't even answer my questions about if there are different versions. Thanks in advance.

Martin64 said:
dave_graham? Have I bought a monitor with 25ms reponse time? Are there two different versions? That's a horrible reply from HP btw, they didn't even answer my questions about if there are different versions. Thanks in advance.

all the L2335s are 16ms rated panels. The contrast ratio should be >/= 400:1 (i can't remember the spec off the top of my head...400:1 sounds about right but it could be 500:1...i'm just too bloody tired this morning.

cheers,

dave

You know.....I really hate this frigging place. I just burned over $1k on a laptop thanks to the 750 off coupon posted in the FS/FT forum, and according to tracking, FedEx is delivering my L2335 today!!!!! Now to pop in the GeForce 6800GT and go!

Thankfully my company has a corporate discount for it's employees with HP, so I got it for a very sweet price. Not to mention the salespeople at HP were almost disgustingly courteous and helpful. Hopefully I won't have to find out how their RMA staff is!

Im sooo fed up. :(

I live in rip off England and have followed this thread since the early days, popping in every now and again to drool.

At first it wasnt available in the UK and seeing you guys were getting it delivered for $1500-1600 i was hoping it would come in somewhere the same for us at £830-£890. At most I hoped it would be £999, which is $1800.

Even today, HP want £1632 delivered (thats fricken $2940 dollars). After searching theres an unheard of company doing £1415 delivered ($2550) but thats still far too much, especially since they are £1150 in germany.

I could just afford 999 but 1400+ is out of the question. Ive got a 9700pro and the balance is the cost of the XT PE id need soon after. With xmas coming I cant see me finding more cash b4 the new year, nor can i see HP suddenly lowering the price to sub £999 levels.

So just feel sorry for poor old us in the UK, companies seem to think they can just gouge us blind with prices sometimes. I could fly to NYC, pay all the duties and still save $250 over the cheapest here.

Thats it, whinge over - ill just have to wait
(And i so do not want a dell fp, they are on a deal again here.)

Mad Ad said:
Im sooo fed up. :(

I live in rip off England and have followed this thread since the early days, popping in every now and again to drool.

At first it wasnt available in the UK and seeing you guys were getting it delivered for $1500-1600 i was hoping it would come in somewhere the same for us at £830-£890. At most I hoped it would be £999, which is $1800.

Even today, HP want £1632 delivered (thats fricken $2940 dollars). After searching theres an unheard of company doing £1415 delivered ($2550) but thats still far too much, especially since they are £1150 in germany.

I could just afford 999 but 1400+ is out of the question. Ive got a 9700pro and the balance is the cost of the XT PE id need soon after. With xmas coming I cant see me finding more cash b4 the new year, nor can i see HP suddenly lowering the price to sub £999 levels.

So just feel sorry for poor old us in the UK, companies seem to think they can just gouge us blind with prices sometimes. I could fly to NYC, pay all the duties and still save $250 over the cheapest here.

Thats it, whinge over - ill just have to wait
(And i so do not want a dell fp, they are on a deal again here.)
You are absolutely correct, we seem to get worse prices than a lot of other places. The HP 23" F2304 which is the same panel as the L2335 but with speakers is a bit more reasonably priced over here. At Micro Anvika they have it at £1199 which is around £300-400 cheaper than the business model. But has a different look to it.

http://www.microanvika.com/product.asp?TXT=INFO&PNO=HEW42135

dave_graham said:
all the L2335s are 16ms rated panels. The contrast ratio should be >/= 400:1 (i can't remember the spec off the top of my head...400:1 sounds about right but it could be 500:1...i'm just too bloody tired this morning.

cheers,

dave

Thanks dave, I feel better now. :)

Alright guys I've joined the HP 23" monitor community, it was quite a journey. So I pick this bad boy up at CDW for $1599, bring it home unpack it and found that the VGA connector was already connected. So I figure hell this is a used monitor, but I turn it on anyway and it looks great no dead pixels, but the bezel has to LARGE scuff marks on top. Hey for $1600 I want perfection, bring it back to CDW the same day. After a lot of back and forth, they finally agree to give me another one. So I opened it right then and there and it's the same thing, VGA connector connected! Now I'm thinking oh sh*t, I hope this one has no dead pixels at least there are no scuff marks on top of the bezel. There are a few marks on the foot but they're just minor. Bring it home set it up check everything, perfect no dead pixels, no uneven backlight, I just hope it stays that way. Well that's my HP2335 saga.
A side note, I'm running a 9800XT and when I turned the monitor on my resolution went all the way to 1900x1440, I thought 1900x1200 was the max resolution on this monitor, go figure. :)

The scuff marks come off with 91-99% rubbing alcohol and a cloth. Perfect. I think that the 1920x1200 is it's native resolution, not it's max...

i'm currently running an internal tv tuner through my PC (winfast xp deluxe) and i know that just plain cable will not look as crisp as it would on a tv set (and we all know the limitations of cable picture)

however my question is (HDTV would be the next step, but for now i'm using plain old cable):

can i get a better picture on my LCD (more vivid color and get a tv feel when watching cable),

i messed with the hue, saturation, contrast setting within the tv tuner software, but i'm not happy with the overall feel.

does any one have any suggestions of various tv tuner programs that may be designed for the LCD user...or settings to tweak to give it a more tv feel?

rakall said:
Alright guys I've joined the HP 23" monitor community, it was quite a journey. So I pick this bad boy up at CDW for $1599, bring it home unpack it and found that the VGA connector was already connected. So I figure hell this is a used monitor, but I turn it on anyway and it looks great no dead pixels, but the bezel has to LARGE scuff marks on top. Hey for $1600 I want perfection, bring it back to CDW the same day. After a lot of back and forth, they finally agree to give me another one. So I opened it right then and there and it's the same thing, VGA connector connected! Now I'm thinking oh sh*t, I hope this one has no dead pixels at least there are no scuff marks on top of the bezel. There are a few marks on the foot but they're just minor. Bring it home set it up check everything, perfect no dead pixels, no uneven backlight, I just hope it stays that way. Well that's my HP2335 saga.
A side note, I'm running a 9800XT and when I turned the monitor on my resolution went all the way to 1900x1440, I thought 1900x1200 was the max resolution on this monitor, go figure. :)

all the L2335 monitors ship with VGA cables attached...sorry, you didn't get a refurb. the scratches come from the cables banging around in the case...usually rubbing alcohol takes care of that problem.

cheers,

dave

Dave,
I did not know that, nobody ever mentioned it here on the board. Great now I feel like a fool. luckily most sales people don't have a clue either. So I think I got away with making a big issue out of the vga cable being connected. :D

rakall said:

That was what I was going to say, that all l2335 come with vga attached....

rakall said:
Dave,
I did not know that, nobody ever mentioned it here on the board. Great now I feel like a fool. luckily most sales people don't have a clue either. So I think I got away with making a big issue out of the vga cable being connected. :D

that's ok.... :)

cheers,

dave

Well fellahs, I wanted to say thanks. I have been lurking on this board for awhile. Dropping 1500+ on a monitor is a big decision when money is tight--as it usually is for a student. Like the rest of you geeks out there, I have been drooling over the 23" LCDs for a couple of years now, and with the HP L2335 at around $1500 I have been finally able to seriously consider it! That said, having decided, I have was wracking my brain over which one to buy when it came down to it, especially since I saw some stats on the HP which listed it with a 350:1 contrast (?). I also saw the BenQ but I saw a cuple of bad reviews. Anyways, after reading through the entire thread I decided on the HP and will be ordering it tomorrow.

Now, just to rub it in, I thought I tell you how I am getting the money for this display. I am doing my PhD in theoretical biology (Im a CS Major in a bio dept). In our department, each PhD student gets to submit a small proposal to fund their research. Normally this is about $1000-1500. I went a little overboard and asked for $4200, in my proposeal. This included was a 23" LCD (1500), a dual xeon server (1500), an extra PC (500), and of course a herman miller chair (700). I offered to pay 1200.00 of that so I was *only* asking for 3000. I figured I would get something along the lines of "are you out of your mind?!" but when I got the respone the other day, they said they would pay for the server, the pc and.....the LCD! Unfortunetly, I will have to pay for the herman miller chair my self. Needless to say, I am pretty excited about the new rig. I think I had some leverage points on the LCD since the chair of our department has a 23" cinema display, and he probably spent $3000 at the time! :)

The nice thing about this, is that if it drops in price by a couple of hundred dollar in the next few months I wont feel guilty because it really wasn't my money in the first place!

Thanks for all the info. guys!

Oh, and there is a pretty good price at Page Computers: $1,485.52 + $25 s&h. Its new with the 3 year warranty. I read some decent posts about Page.

Best,
RDL

I have never heard of Herman Miller Chairs. How comfortable are they, and how much do they run (on the average)? You will love you L2335.

darktiger said:
I have never heard of Herman Miller Chairs. How comfortable are they, and how much do they run (on the average)? You will love you L2335.

that was me an hour ago, ive done the research and now know they are the daddy of chairs and theres plenty on ebay cas ive checked! ;)

Well its not completely off topic because having the complete rig is pretty damn important.

I only spent a little bit of time in a HM (The Aeron model) and it seemed like it was pretty comfortable. Supposedly it is the be-all-and-end-all of chairs. In fact I talked to the head of our IT department here at Yale and he told me they could take his office, his computer, but they couldn't take his Herman Miller.

The chair is the other tough decision. Once I started looking into chairs though it came down to three: Herman Miller Aeron, Humanscale Freedom Chair (With headrest cause it looks bad ass!) or the Steelcase Leap. I am hoping to find an office furniture store around here to compare them as all I have to go on is other peoples subjective opinions. The Freedom Chair I think looks the best, and so maybe find it more comfortable because they just like the looks of it. As well, some people swear by the Herman Miller chair, but maybe thats just because of the hype.

Theres even a 100.00 Promotion now on the L2335 23" WOW!! :) I can get it for 1560 - the 100.00 promotion from HP lets see 1450 aint bad for this monitor I GUESS :)

So for all you people looking, this rebate from HP is effective through the 31st of OCTOBER for this flatpanel.

Cheers

Dont you have to buy a computer with the moniter for that deal. I saw that before....

darktiger said:
Dont you have to buy a computer with the moniter for that deal. I saw that before....

yeah, there's a discount if you buy the monitor with a workstation...nothing new... ;-)

cheers,

dave

Good thing is, you'll have the chair long after the computer gear is outdated. I've been sitting in an aeron for the last 4 years or so(no, not contiguously).

this is a strange question, but i have a l2335 and the l2035. my l2335 looks great, but the panel on my 2035 is broken and therefore the monitor never turns off. I am going to call HP tech to replace it, and I hear that they send you a monitor, and then you put the defective one back and send it back. This is great and all, but I can't help but to wonder as to how they can stop people from just keeping both monitors? Do you have to give a credit card number or something? It seems like a very risky deal on HP's part.

three4seven said:
this is a strange question, but i have a l2335 and the l2035. my l2335 looks great, but the panel on my 2035 is broken and therefore the monitor never turns off. I am going to call HP tech to replace it, and I hear that they send you a monitor, and then you put the defective one back and send it back. This is great and all, but I can't help but to wonder as to how they can stop people from just keeping both monitors? Do you have to give a credit card number or something? It seems like a very risky deal on HP's part.

Yup, many service companies do that, they did the same for my current Samsung 17" TFT. What would prevent them for billing you for another monitor if you don't send it back though? :)

most companies that do crosshipments put a hold on your credit card, if they dont get it back well they charge you CC for the full price

three4seven said:

I'm not sure about that, or at least my experience didn't work out that way. I didn't want to get a refurb (my 2335 has a mark on the screen in the lower left corner....it's actually something like a chip in the panel itself and not a pixel issue), so I ordered a new one. Or at least, they informed me that that would be they way they'd have to do it. They sent me shipping labels via email for the old one, so I box it up, send it back, and when they get it they will credit me for the original purchase. I'm guess that's the way they'd do it for most issues. I'll say I'm not overly keen on doing it exactly this way (since HPs now got about $3000 of my money!) but I don't mind too much as I get my replacement in about 3 days, and don't need to be without a monitor until then. Plus they sent the replacement 2 day air and didn't charge me a thing for shipping. Not to sound advertisy or anything, but I was pleasently surprised at just how nice it was dealing with the HP rep.

Has anyone figured out if it is possible to switch the orientation of the PIP if you use the monitor in the vertical position?

- Leo

Back