HP L2335 23" 16ms... sweet

picked up a benq 231W a few days ago and i'm fairly happy with it, although i'm not totally sure if i want to keep it. for the most part this thing is awesome, no dead pixels, even backlight, and build quality is not all that bad -- even if it is a bit plasticky. my main problem is black levels; the windows desktop while doing work and browsing the web is fine, but when viewing a mostly black screen or dark movie scenes, everything is a little washed out (grey?). and i'm still on the fence about colour accuracy as well. i have an eizo 17" monitor with good colour fidelity and decent blacks, but this falls a bit short (esp since this is mainly a work monitor) if anyone is interested, maybe i'll post some shots with the eizo running beside this thing. i would have gotten the samsung 243T, but here in canada, the samsung is significantly more expensive at $2400+ where the benq cost me 1599CDN (after rebates).
any ideas? my main uses is design/multimedia work (photoshop, illustrator, flash) and software development, games are not really my thing -- but i do play them when i get a chance. should i spend the extra 1k for the samsung?

googleguy where did you find the BENQ for 1599 after rebate in CANADA?
I am interested in getting this monitor thanks.

yes i'm in canada. best buy has them listed on the website for 1799, but when you click the item, a rebate shows up for 200, so 1599 total CDN after rebate. :D

indyy500 said:
googleguy where did you find the BENQ for 1599 after rebate in CANADA?
I am interested in getting this monitor thanks.

Well finally I've decided to jump on the 2335 wagon. Pretty impressive monitor I think but, unfortunately, After testing it, I've found that it got a lot of green and red pixels on a black background. It happens only on black and they are a lot (counted 80-90), localized only in the upper part of the desktop, from left to right, like a star field.

Do you think guys I need a replacement ???

Thank you

Liquidik

EDIT: also found that sometimes the monitor starts flashing, text, or certain areas (like orizontal stripes moving vertically). It seems that adjusting the clock phase manually attenuated it, but it does not completely disappear. Could it be because I'm connected trough the analog port of my FX 5700? Or is it defective? Any experience ?
Thanks again

liquidik said:
Well finally I've decided to jump on the 2335 wagon. Pretty impressive monitor I think but, unfortunately, After testing it, I've found that it got a lot of green and red pixels on a black background. It happens only on black and they are a lot (counted 80-90), localized only in the upper part of the desktop, from left to right, like a star field.

Do you think guys I need a replacement ???

Thank you

Liquidik

EDIT: also found that sometimes the monitor starts flashing, text, or certain areas (like orizontal stripes moving vertically). It seems that adjusting the clock phase manually attenuated it, but it does not completely disappear. Could it be because I'm connected trough the analog port of my FX 5700? Or is it defective? Any experience ?
Thanks again

your monitor is thrashed. get a new one.

cheers,

dave

Definitely return that. For the money you should expect minimal to no pixel / screen defects. Unfortunately as we all know HP's QC sucks.

Hopefully the next one will work out for you.

(Btw, I got lucky. Zero dead / stuck pixels or other defects - thx Dave G.!)

Again for the money I would demand high quality.

My 2 cents.

Good luck. :D

-Shag

Googleguy, thank you so much. I went ahead and got the monitor from Futureshop for 1999 CDN and then I got the price protection because of you and bestbuy which had a cheaper price than Futureshop. I got the BENQ like you and absolutely love it no ghosting and the picture quality is truly superb!!! Perfect screen no burnt pixels.

Oh and btw I applied the price protection and futureshop gave it to me for 1559 CDN + taxes - and another 200.00 rebate on top of that. They kind of messed up on the price protection as well so I go a super deal. Sigh what a price for such a monitor!! WOOHOOOO.

Helllllo benq I got nothing but good things to say about this 23 inch beast so far!!! :)

good job! i should have done that! did they give you the rebate on the spot? i have to mail mine in, and i stillhavn't dont that!

edit: wait wait, 1559-200?! so like 1359?!

indyy500 said:
Googleguy, thank you so much. I went ahead and got the monitor from Futureshop for 1999 CDN and then I got the price protection because of you and bestbuy which had a cheaper price than Futureshop. I got the BENQ like you and absolutely love it no ghosting and the picture quality is truly superb!!! Perfect screen no burnt pixels.

Oh and btw I applied the price protection and futureshop gave it to me for 1559 CDN + taxes - and another 200.00 rebate on top of that. They kind of messed up on the price protection as well so I go a super deal. Sigh what a price for such a monitor!! WOOHOOOO.

Helllllo benq I got nothing but good things to say about this 23 inch beast so far!!! :)

Anybody actually on the fence about buying one of these screens?!

Due to finacial Issues I am trying to sell my HPL2335 :(
I want to keep it more than anything, but seeing as how I am in need of more money for a down payment on a loan, I'm trying to sell it...

It's the coolest screen I've ever owned, and have a thread set up here in the FS section -
Here

The screen was bought Brand New from Dave here....
It's Flawless!!

Just a note.

With the 6800 GT HL2 runs fluid at 1920x1200 (true 16:10 widescreen btw)
on the HP L2335. Frankly I would not have thought it would be possible but it's GORGEOUS!!

Cheerz - Shag

Shaggy I too would have never thought it would be possible!! I never even knew half life 2 would support 16:10 Widescreen :cool:

I enabled it with my 6800 GT and to my surprise my 23 inch BenQ was playing half life 2 at 1920 X 1200, with ease and no lag no ghosting. WOW!! What a beauty, worth picking up this screen alone just for this feature.

Are there any other games out there that support this wide screen aspect ration 16:9 or 16 :10 first time I see this since I own this monitor.

Yehaaaa back to Half life 2 in WIDESCREEN BABY!! :p

darktiger said:
Hahahha, look what is happening with the Apple 23" LCD's

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19727

...which is essentially the same monitor as HP L2335, Sony SDM-P234B and the Benq, so in this case they're all faulty. It's nothing to laugh about, people have spent thousands on these monitors (myself included) and are expecting a great display, just to be let down. None of the companies are of course willing to admit there is a problem.

Finally got round to trying my new L2335 on games (got it a week ago, for the bargain price of £860) :D

Games run perfectly, no ghosting, just as other owners have said on this thread. i'm so happy i got one.

anyhow, other people have posted a photo of their setup, so here's mine.
Desk_and_hp_l2335.jpg

And Half Life 2 running at 1920x1200.. :D
HL2_1920x1200.jpg

Gaming rig tower is out of view. But my signature is the spec of it. Just gotta add the L2335 to the sig now! ;)

Martin64 said:
...which is essentially the same monitor as HP L2335, Sony SDM-P234B and the Benq, so in this case they're all faulty. It's nothing to laugh about, people have spent thousands on these monitors (myself included) and are expecting a great display, just to be let down. None of the companies are of course willing to admit there is a problem.

it's a luck of the draw problem. again, i've sold 15 monitors with at least 8-9 of them being flawless (the last run of 5 were perfect). the others never exhibited problems with pink casts or red hues, etc.

cheers,

dave

dave_graham said:
it's a luck of the draw problem. again, i've sold 15 monitors with at least 8-9 of them being flawless (the last run of 5 were perfect). the others never exhibited problems with pink casts or red hues, etc.

cheers,

dave

A luck of the draw problem that's happening way too often, just look at all the people here who's received monitors with bad backlight and red picture, and let's not even talk about at the Apple forums.

Martin64 said:
A luck of the draw problem that's happening way too often, just look at all the people here who's received monitors with bad backlight and red picture, and let's not even talk about at the Apple forums.

<insert snide comment about how Apple users inherently deserve to have a horrendously over-priced monitor fail>

yup...that sucks.

cheers,

dave

I upgrade my GF4 Ti4200 to an XFX 6600GT AGP and both DVI ports work fine at 1920x1200 on my L2335. The bootup screen works as does the bios. No problems viewing anything. So the XFX 6600GT AGP goes on the list of cards that work just fine. I have also tested it on a 6800GTO from Dell, both ports worked fine as well.

With driver v66.93 I could create a custom resolution of 1680x1050@60hz and it scaled perfectly, so that's a resolution you can use in more graphic intense games if 1920x1200 is too much for your current card. 1600x900 would cause the L2335 to display it as 1600x1200 and 1600x1024 is a bit off and you would have black bars.

I RMA'd a HP 23" display a couple of weeks ago due to stuck pixels, a band of small sub pixels (40+) along the top area of the display. A few others have had this as well. I got my refund this week and received a BENQ 23" this morning, I am struck at how less ghosting there is compared to the HP i had. I thought these displays had the same panel...

In counterstrike there was a significant motion blur effect when i looked around on the HP i had breifly, however with this BENQ its great, almost as good as my old CRT. Is there some HP's maybe using the older 30ms 23" panel?

Roceh said:
I RMA'd a HP 23" display a couple of weeks ago due to stuck pixels, a band of small sub pixels (40+) along the top area of the display. A few others have had this as well. I got my refund this week and received a BENQ 23" this morning, I am struck at how less ghosting there is compared to the HP i had. I thought these displays had the same panel...

nice....but it's luck of the draw. you'll either get a good one or you won't. HP is generally much more generous when it comes to replacing panels than most companies, so....there is benefit.

Roceh said:
In counterstrike there was a significant motion blur effect when i looked around on the HP i had breifly, however with this BENQ its great, almost as good as my old CRT. Is there some HP's maybe using the older 30ms 23" panel?

good for you. HP doesn't use 30ms panels. period. again, luck of the draw.

cheers,

dave

Roceh said:

I wish people would start reading the post in the thread. How many times does this need to be repeated!? HP and BENQ are the SAME freakin panel manufactured by LG, I have posted the manufactures LCD panel link earlier in this thread. They both have the same stats (eg 16ms panel) and one is no better than the other as far as visual quality (eg ghosting). I also had a HP L2335 with 40+ dead pixels and they sent me a brand new one with only 1 dead sub pixel!! Rather than the refund you could have had them send you a new one. HP has awesome tech service! They shipped me the new one 2 day air free of charge!

)SHAGGY( said:
Just a note.

With the 6800 GT HL2 runs fluid at 1920x1200 (true 16:10 widescreen btw)
on the HP L2335. Frankly I would not have thought it would be possible but it's GORGEOUS!!

Cheerz - Shag

Hey post some 1920x1200 pics of you monitor playing HL2!! :D I would but I havent purchased it yet

I'll try to post some pics. Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera yet.

But I'll try to borrow a friend's camera and post some HL2 goodness. ;)

- Shag

I got my brand spanking new 23" HP 2335 through eBuyer.com for about $1500 WITH shipping. In a word? Awesome!!! There was some trepidation with the amount of negative posts of some horror stories, then I remembered that people use the internet to vent and be negative more than positive, hopefully my post will go to balance some of that negativity.

I watched a DVD on it (the Matrix, the first and ONLY good one) with no ghosting, blacks were sure and true and whites didn't get too hot and create hot spots. Played UT4 and Halo (the first) on it, both looked simply stunning at 1900X1200. I've checked it out using various means and it has no dead pixels, no stuck pixels, no hanging pixels, 0.

Created a perfectly white, perfectly black, red, green, and blue (R, G, and B) backgrounds to see if there was any flaws in color, etc. Not really, or not enough to matter and I'm a VERY anal graphic designer for a large college, I'd send it back if it was off more than my eyes would care to calibrate for, it's as perfect as the 23" Apple CDs we have at work... then again, it's the same friggin' display and I got it for $500 less. I love having Illustrator open with all the palettes and still have enough room for Mail, iChat, iTunes, and my time tracking software going (yes, I'm on a Mac, Dual 2.5 G5, 9800pro), all visible on screen at the same time.

Some people talked about hum or some noise from it, this thing makes zero noise and my home office is pretty quiet most of the time. Others talked about heat, it's been on 12 hours today non-stop, I just put my hands on the back in various places, fairly cool to the touch, no idea what those people are talking about either. Some warmth to the front but far less than you'd feel from a CRT. Others said text was fuzzy on screen, mine is fine, maybe it's because of their operating system, or their eyes, text on my screen is smooth as any LCD I've gazed upon, which is many. Which is to say some LCDs are poorer than others.

The plastic isn't nearly as cheap as flimsy as some have led others to believe, sure it's not aluminum like the Apple display, but it's pretty sturdy plastic, not like that sh*t Dull (Dell) or ChumpPact (Compaq) uses in their third world poor quality crap they shovel like chum on the masses. HP doesn't usually skimp on quality anyways, and I wasn't expecting them to start now.

It's MORE than exceeded my expectations, I've been grinning at it all weekend, simply great.

Oh, and thos black scuffs everyone is griping about, there was a couple on the base and they came right off, one I wiped off with my thumb, the other a soft cloth with some tooth, people bitching about this need to get a grip or try to use a little elbow grease, it's NOT a big deal, so stop bitching! :D

Great purchase! Thanks to everyone who gave constructive feedback on this forum, I'm having a cold one and toasting to you! Especially the one, the only, Dave_Graham (tips hat), the 2335 guru!

IW

ImageWrangler: Congrats, I'm glad you're happy with your purchase. :) You are right about the part that people vent when they're not happy, but on the other hand, with a monitor like this it would be fair to assume that just as many want to brag and say it's awesome as well. :p

I just sent back my L2335 (which cost me $100 to send back) and will not get one of the monitors using the LG/Philips 23" 16 ms wide panels, but I'm sure there are people who are very happy with their displays, I just don't want to get another bad monitor and have to cough up another $100 to replace it and more importantly, wait another 3 weeks for a new one.

I am totally honest about my opinion on the monitor I received though, but sure, it was a faulty monitor. I would never say something bad about a company or a product for no reason. The main reason I'm annoyed is that for a monitor that's this expensive, I expected something better than my 3 year old Samsung 17" TFT, which beat the HP hands down, and it doesn't have any problem with uneven backlight, bad colours or grey blacks. :)

I'll most likely get a Samsung 243T now and upgrade once the new Samsung 24" 16ms wide is out (there's some info in another thread at [H]), does anyone have a clue which quarter they'll be out next year? The panels are being manufactured Q4 2004 according to Samsung.com. I'm just wondering whether it would be worth the wait or not because I gave my 17" Samsung TFT to my brother so now I'm stuck with a 17" CRT. :p

Here are some HL2 images at 1920x1200. Pictures came out a little blurry (borrowed camera but the actual view of the HP screen in person is incredible though)

DSC01046.JPG

DSC01042.JPG

Cheerz - Shag

Well, I've finally received back my hp2335.
Just one green pixel, in an area where I will not see it.

Anyway. I want to buy a card that can drive this baby using DVI, at the moment I'm on a 5700 that supports only 1600x1200 on DVI.

Any suggestion? I was thinking at a GeForce 6800, but I cannot find if it will work. I can too switch to an ATI FireGL X3, which I know will work for sure, but it's a little bit expensive.

Waiting...

many of my customers are using 6800GT's without any problem. I typically see this card being used (more often than not) in this thread.

the BFG 6800GT OC with Doom3 is currently going for 440.00 from me.

cheers,

dave

The HP monitor MaximumPC reviewed was the HP f2304, not the L2335 if you were refering about the recent issue.

synergyo1 said:
The HP monitor MaximumPC reviewed was the HP f2304, not the L2335 if you were refering about the recent issue.

same panel without the adjustment features and with the addition of side speakers.

yeehaa.

cheers,

dave

That is what I meant, pretty much the same monitor but without speakers.......

Hello everyone,

I can start by saying that it took me a while to read trough all the replies in this forum.
I am thinking about buying me the HP Pavilion f2304 and I will be connecting it to an HIS Radeon X800 Pro IceqII. I know someone here is running the L2335 with an X800XT PE in DVi-I to DVI-I mode. Is this a fact for all Radeon cards based on the X800 chip? I have surfed arround on HIS homepage but have not find any information regarding this.

Also if you had the chance to choose between the HP L2335 and the F2304 which one would you choose? If the purchase price would be the same on both?

Thank you guys.
This forum has been of great help.

[edit]
Hmm just read the Review on the HP f2304 at CNET and they did not found it as good as the L2335. How is that possible if the use the exact same panel? http://reviews.cnet.com/HP_F2304/4505-3174_7-30871933.html

"The bottom line:
HDTV-ready jumbo LCDs are certainly worth buying (if you have the cash), but HP also sells a cheaper, more adjustable, and better-performing alternative to the f2304, the L2335."

[edit 2]
Oh yes and another thing.
Whats upp with the not so HDTV compliant resolution 1920x1200?
1920x1080 is like the real HDTV. Any comments on that?

Back