HP L2335 23" 16ms... sweet

canislupy

[H]ard|Gawd
Just got this bad boy and hooked it up (yeah I know I could have had 2x 2001FP's for less... but I wanted to be different). :p :D

img_0053.jpg

img_0067.jpg

FarCry is choppy @ 1920x1200... but I'm certain it isn't the display. (where's my 6800U?) :D UT2k4 runs great @ 1920x1200.

So far, no problems... haven't really checked for dead pixels, but so far this display seems flawless. Anyway, I'm going to go back to playing with this monster. I'd be happy to answer any questions as best I can.

23" screens are sweet aren't they. You have me beat though, I have Apple's 23"er with a 25ms display. I can't play any games at 1920x1200 worth sh|t but I find myself pleased at 1280x960 with FSAA (whatever its called) turned all the way up. :p

You got that right. I'm loving this thing. I was actually looking at getting the Apple 23" until I heard about the new HP, and so far I don't regret the extra wait. Still need to do a bit of testing AFA colors are concerned and whether or not I could actually use this bad boy for any kind of photo work. Of course I didn't buy it for photo work to begin with, but it would be nice if it turned out to be okay in that area in addition to its uber desktop/gaming/video qualities.

awesome, I really think I'm going to pull the trigger on this one. Any comments? On far cry, did you notice any ghosting? How's the colors? etc.

ShePearl, I haven't checked it out for sure, but from what I have heard others say, the HP is using a new LG panel.

Conscript, FarCry was running 1920x1200 in the picture I took, it was very choppy but not unplayable with my 9800XT. For real game play I'm going to use a lower resolution (1280x960 or more, haven't played around with all the different supported resolutions yet). On UT2k4, also running @ 1920x1200, I have been getting much better frame rates. There does seem to be some motion problems, but I cannot rule out that being the 9800XT. Basically, I'll have to run at some lower resolutions tonight or tomorrow where I know the graphics card is not the limiting factor to say for sure. Can't blame a guy for trying maxed out everything on his new toy first run can ya? :D

No problems with ghosting on DVD's. Haven't really looked at color space yet. Nothing glaring stands out so far, but I'm going to take a look at some 11mp raw pictures off of my EOS-1Ds sometime this weekend to get a real reading on it.

Wow HP must have changed panels because I looked at that same monitor a month ago and it was rated at 25ms not 16ms.

Damn.. To bad Im past the 30 day mark on my 2001fps..

Dude that thing is uber sweet. I have a 213T and a 2001fp. But I am jealous. That is crazy high rez. Colors look good as hell too. Not one dead pixel? That is amazing with a panel of that size. Congrats on the nice LCD.

I want one....Just the one thing, COST! I cannot justify the cost but damn, I want more screenies...UT2004. How well does the monster scale?

I paid $1700 w/ 2-day air shipping. Retails for the same at HP's site.

Going to do some game scaling tests now. Will post when I have some results.

Quick test. Haven't really noticed any ghosting at 1280x960 in UT2k4, but I have been using LCD's for a while. Doesn't seem to be niticeably worse than my Planar 17" 16ms panel.

Here are a few pics for comparing the scaling of three differen't resolutions I tried. You can clearly notice that the circular structure is stretched into an oval when using resolutions that are not at the native aspect ratio.

1280x960
img_0068.jpg

1600x1200
img_0069.jpg

1920x1200
img_0070.jpg

Also, here are some screenshots I took at the three respective resolutions. All w/ 6xAA & 16xAF.

1920x1200

1600x1200

1280x1960

those screen shots dont take into account the processing the monitor does to scale it. (framebuffer is untouched by it)

Omega, yeah, I smacked myself in the head after I took those screenshots. But I figured I'd put them up anyway having gone through the trouble. :D

Welcomerain, sure seems huge to me. The viewable area of the screen is actually slightly wider than my keyboard, and its at least 2" wider overall.

So when did HP switch to this panel.. And who else will be using it? Im pretty sure its the only 16ms 23in panel out there.

man, that thing sure does look sweet but its way to rich for my blood so I'll just have to be content with my 2001FP.

Originally posted by canislupy
ShePearl, I haven't checked it out for sure, but from what I have heard others say, the HP is using a new LG panel.

Conscript, FarCry was running 1920x1200 in the picture I took, it was very choppy but not unplayable with my 9800XT. For real game play I'm going to use a lower resolution (1280x960 or more, haven't played around with all the different supported resolutions yet). On UT2k4, also running @ 1920x1200, I have been getting much better frame rates. There does seem to be some motion problems, but I cannot rule out that being the 9800XT. Basically, I'll have to run at some lower resolutions tonight or tomorrow where I know the graphics card is not the limiting factor to say for sure. Can't blame a guy for trying maxed out everything on his new toy first run can ya? :D

No problems with ghosting on DVD's. Haven't really looked at color space yet. Nothing glaring stands out so far, but I'm going to take a look at some 11mp raw pictures off of my EOS-1Ds sometime this weekend to get a real reading on it.
canislupy,

Thanks for your replay about the panel manufacturer. :)

Your setup looks very sweet, indeed.

If you don't mind me asking, what made your go for the HP rather than Sony SDMP232W or Samsung SM243T ?? Was response time your main deciding factor ? I ask because from reading around about current state of LCDs, it seems that response time, and colour are two seperate/different animals. And *if I'm not mistaken*, with current LCD technology, having both good colour reproduction as well as fast response time seems impossible. Of course, I am just speculating based on what I've read.

Cheers.

I bet it looks even better in real life......the camera never does a montitor justice.

1799...heh when I got the Apple Cinema 23" it costed $1900, today, a year later, it costs $1900...when I start getting dead pixeledge I may consider that one although I would get a free Apple replacement first...

You should write a full review on that. I don't think there are any out there.

Well, just my cursory oberservations so far, but there is one thing I do know for sure. This HP panel looks far better than my Planer 17" 16ms panel in regards to colors. My planar had a overall blue cast to everything, as well as muting colors. The HP seems far cleaner and brighter. What I really need to do is get my 22" CRT hooked up for comparison, but unfortunately that sucker needs to get to a shop for repair. (One of the reasons I will have a hard time ever purchasing a large CRT again, had two go bad on me). Well, since my CRT does still work okay for a while (only has a problem once warmed up), maybe I'll hook it up and do a little comparison.

Basically, I had been looking at updating my Planar by getting something newer and bigger. I was really looking hard at the 2001FP, but decided to wait and see what else came down the pipe at 16ms. Once I saw the HP was out, it just made more sense to me. DVI, VGA, S-Video, and Component inputs with Picture-in-Picture. 16ms and the massive 1920x1200 resolution helped too. 1080P Terminator 2: Judgement Day is awesome BTW. So, I can play games, have a massive desktop, watch TV in a PiP, play games, watch HDTV @ 1080... you name it. I'm happy so far.

I don't see buying an HP as any more of a compromise than buying a Dell. With LG selling the same panel for $3k from what I heard (not sure if this is true?), I think the HP is a downright bargain.

Originally posted by canislupy
Well, just my cursory oberservations so far, but there is one thing I do know for sure. This HP panel looks far better than my Planer 17" 16ms panel in regards to colors. My planar had a overall blue cast to everything, as well as muting colors. The HP seems far cleaner and brighter. What I really need to do is get my 22" CRT hooked up for comparison, but unfortunately that sucker needs to get to a shop for repair. (One of the reasons I will have a hard time ever purchasing a large CRT again, had two go bad on me). Well, since my CRT does still work okay for a while (only has a problem once warmed up), maybe I'll hook it up and do a little comparison.

Basically, I had been looking at updating my Planar by getting something newer and bigger. I was really looking hard at the 2001FP, but decided to wait and see what else came down the pipe at 16ms. Once I saw the HP was out, it just made more sense to me. DVI, VGA, S-Video, and Component inputs with Picture-in-Picture. 16ms and the massive 1920x1200 resolution helped too. 1080P Terminator 2: Judgement Day is awesome BTW. So, I can play games, have a massive desktop, watch TV in a PiP, play games, watch HDTV @ 1080... you name it. I'm happy so far.

I don't see buying an HP as any more of a compromise than buying a Dell. With LG selling the same panel for $3k from what I heard (not sure if this is true?), I think the HP is a downright bargain.

damn you... you're gonna cost me $1800 (with shipping and tax) :mad: :p

The LG monitor btw, only has a 25ms response time, if it's the same 23" ws that Bestbuy sells. $2999!:eek:

Originally posted by Disco_Stu_04
1799...heh when I got the Apple Cinema 23" it costed $1900, today, a year later, it costs $1900...when I start getting dead pixeledge I may consider that one although I would get a free Apple replacement first...

You should write a full review on that. I don't think there are any out there.
You are correct, I've searched on Google and none I have found...

Well, I don't expect you will be seeing any kind of detailed review from me unfortunately. Time is not something I have a lot of to spare inbetween work (and I certainly don't want to spend that time "working").

$1800? That's too bad. Can't get it from any place that doesn't charge tax where you are? I got the last one from Page Computers. It was about $1650 before shipping w/ no tax IIRC. Two day air put it just over $1700 for me. It would be interesting to see if anyone else starts selling this panel and the prices come down. I won't be bitter though... the price you pay for early adoption. Now what to do with all of these Laser Discs? :D

As far as dead/stuck pixels go... after running some tests, it looks like 1 stuck red, and one stuck green. Couldn't find any dead, and no other problems. One is in the lower left corner of the screen, the other in the lower right but slightly higher. Don't really notice them while using though, and never spotted them without test patterns.

I just got this monitor for review over at Designtechnica (yes I own Designtechnica.com and I am an avid HardOCP'er and friends with Kyle) and so far nothing bad has stood out so far. I have only had it for a couple days and I am already in love. I have been able to play UT2004 at 1600x1200 resolution as well as Call of Duty and Final Fantasy XI online (playing this game with 1900x1200 background resolution). So far the only limitations have been with my video card (Radeon 9800PRO).

What impresses me the most is how good the display looks using the regular analog VGA input. Usually text is noticeably blurrier than using the DVI connection but so far I think that text looks very sharp; it is impressive.

The blacks are very deep and the whites look very white without a lot of the yellowish tint which you can find on some LCD displays (like samsungs).

I am also reviewing a 20" Gateway monitor (FPD2020) which I believe is made by Samsung (its says made in Korea on the box and the menu system looks nearly identical to Samsungs) and the HPL2335 is noticeably better at gaming than the Gateway monitor (which is better than average). I am not seeing ghosting or other artifacts ususally associated with slower response rate. The L2335 could be the hidden treasure in the LCD market. But it also costs a premium price.

Quick question can the Monitor move up and down? Not just tilt but move vertically on its stand?

Has a vertical travel of about 4 inches. Can be setup to pivot to portrait and re-align desktop automatically... haven't tried it though.

canislupy said:
Has a vertical travel of about 4 inches. Can be setup to pivot to portrait and re-align desktop automatically... haven't tried it though.

Awesome.. I'm ordering one Monday... should look nice flanked by two 172X's.. what sold me was the HD input.. I can replace my Sony SDM-V72B with Component inputs with this Monitor and still play my Xbox.

TheGameguru said:
Quick question can the Monitor move up and down? Not just tilt but move vertically on its stand?

It can move in just about every direction possible. One thing I need to check is whether it will support an aftermarket LCD arm (that attaches to your desk). My guess is that is probably doesn't with the pivot and swivel features, but I am going to try anyways.

Canislupy, GameGururu, (anyone)....
Where can I buy this and be able to return it within 30 days no penalty, no questions asked?
The big monitor sites like Monitorsdirect and Monitoroutlet don't seem to carry it (at least they didn't last time I checked a week ago) and I don't want to buy it from HP site because they hit you State tax ($75) ouch. :eek:

Rim, dunno man. I bought it from page computers, 30 days, no questions, but 15%. Looks like the HP store and computers4sure are 30 days at no penalty (not 100% on this though, just looked quickly), but tax at HP and $1900 at 4sure (looks like they add the 15% up front). Otherwise, keep looking....

ya know....part of me wants to part ways with my dual 2001FP setup for that...

Only one thing to say about a monitor like that. "TITS".

I want one

BillR

Hello canislupy, have you tried out the awesome new demo for Joint Op's ? It is like a combo of Desert Combat + RavenShield, will give BF1942 a runs for it's money for sure.

In the video options they have a box that says: Widescreen: yes or no, since I have just a 21"crt it is on no, but on your screen I would like to see a pic of it on ?

thanks

Got mine yesterday along with two more Samsung 172X's... here are some pics... I moved my old 3 LCD's to my second PC.. I'll use them for trading.

Tried to take some shots of Riddick playing on Xbox..but the game is too dark.. The HP 23" is an awesome monitor... not a single dead pixel..

My 172X's look clean too..

Picture%20005.jpg

Picture%20007.jpg

Picture%20009.jpg

Picture%20010.jpg

TheGameguru where did you purchase that awesome HP from ? If you dont mind me asking, how much ? thanks

Back