Votes: 155 25.8%
  • 128GB+

Votes: 14 2.3%
  • 256GB+

Votes: 6 1.0%
  • 512GB+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
With higher density chips in production we should start seeing a drop per GB in RAM prices as 16GB single rank sticks with half the number of chips become more readily available.

Used 4x4GB for a few years, then 2x16 before finally settling on 4x8GB. No difference in system or game performance - not that any was expected. My main takeaway is Hynix CJR ICs are much better overclockers (on Intel plaforms anyway) than people give them credit for, though it could be they are too busy creaming their jeans over Samsung b-die to notice.

My main takeaway is Hynix CJR ICs are much better overclockers (on Intel plaforms anyway) than people give them credit for, though it could be they are too busy creaming their jeans over Samsung b-die to notice.
What is your latency in AIDA64? as I find that matters more than anything for CPU limited game performance.
1582264611269.png

4x4 mushkin redline 2133. Running at 1866 stable ish (crashed last night for the first time in three weeks) on a 2500k really with the ram clock we’re more friendly on sandy

I have 8gb and I cnt even manage to fill it up. To be honest, 3gb was fine before. I look at pictures, listen to music, and create word documents.

If I ever need more ram, I cn get a free stick of ram by bumping up my page file. Genius.

What ? No 4K pron ?

Still running 4x8GB DDR3-1600 low profile Crucial Ballistix "set it and forget it" XMP profile in BIOS on my Z77 MoBo.

When I went 32 GB three years ago I thought it was frivolous, a luxury. Primarily gaming with an occasional need to run 1-3 VMs. Hindsight tells me I was correct but I wouldn't give it up either. Having the memory for large RAM drives is nice for testing networking and disk components also temporary virtual disk storage. I can do most of that using SSDs but life is better using RAM. I don't see the need for more than 32 GB for the next couple of years.

I went up to 32 GB last year from 16GB and can I tell a huge difference? Not really, but I suppose it is just a comfort thing with some people including myself.

I went up to 32 GB last year from 16GB and can I tell a huge difference? Not really, but I suppose it is just a comfort thing with some people including myself.
Windows can make use of it in some ways? Or not?

Honestly there has to be some sort of conspiracy between memory makers and software developers because everything uses more RAM than it should need

There's no reason a browser should need half a gig of ram to display a plain text webpage

These fucking game clients are a dime a dozen, can't get a game without needing a new store client.

Discord and the rest of the bloat apps sucking my resources dry for no reason

Advances in hardware have always been used as cover for shitty coding. If coders used the skills that were required back in the 8bit days when every byte was sacred...man games would be amazing.

When a fix patch is 60% of the original game size...

I selected 16gb because that's what I run in 2 of my desktops. I run 8gb in my other 3 desktops, and I run 96GB in my home server... wasn't really sure which box you were asking about. I think my laptop only has 4gb... so I guess my answer is that I have your entire chart just about covered, lol. I still haven't had a use to go over 16GB in my desktop. My server never even comes close to using 96GB and was working just fine at 24GB before I upgraded.

16GB. Never had a reason for more. I tend to work pretty lean (only a few programs/tabs open at a time) and my gaming/multimedia habits don't benefit from more.

16GB DDR4 2133 right now. Not really feeling this limit too much, but I like overkill / overhead especially since I do play around with VMs and other stuff from time to time, and it does seem like games are eating more and more RAM these days.

Wanting to upgrade to 32GB but have to replace the 2x8GB with 2x16GB sticks because of my CPU cooler blocking a slot so it's more expensive (basically 2x price) of an upgrade than I'd prefer right now, looks like $120-160 no matter what.

Maybe I'll toss up a WTB thread soon to see if I can snag a deal. If I can eventually find a nice a 2x16GB set under $100 I'll probably grab it. That or I could just go ahead and pay the premium and sell some old parts to make up the difference. /shrug

Reactions: DrDoU
like this
32GB (2 x 16GB) Hynix DJR 3600MHz 16-19-19 in my rig. Might splurge for another matching kit if Zen 3 IMC is really strong and can easily run all 4 sticks at 3600.

My FreeNAS server has 64GB (4 x 16GB) of CT16G4WFD8266 ECC memory. Runs at 2666MHz CAS 19.

Running 32GB in my main 3900X system. I did not really feel that I needed more than 16GB for gaming, etc, but I wanted to be able to take advantage of all these extra CPU cores and run 4+ VMs at the same time.

My personal workstation only has 32GB since its iTX and I couldnt really justify 32GB sticks when I built it over 3 years ago.

16 GB (4 x 4 GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133 MHz. Quad-channel on X79.

32 gigabytes for me to go along with my 3900x. Both are truly overkill for my needs.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I ended up with 48GB. Got 16GB when I built my system and ram prices were at an all time high. (2x8GB) Bought 32GB later when ram was super cheap. (2x16GB) Just added it in instead of replacing, because, why not.
I use about 16GB* of it as RAMcache, and my system doubles as a media server so its nice to have extra ram for stuff.
6GB for OS cache,
6GB for game cache
4GB for media drive cache.

Last edited:
Back