• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How much RAM you got?

How much RAM is installed on your rig?

  • 4GB or less

    Votes: 1 0.1%
  • 4GB+

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8GB+

    Votes: 14 2.0%
  • 12GB+

    Votes: 1 0.1%
  • 16GB+

    Votes: 115 16.2%
  • 32GB+

    Votes: 318 44.8%
  • 64GB+

    Votes: 222 31.3%
  • 128GB+

    Votes: 24 3.4%
  • 256GB+

    Votes: 9 1.3%
  • 512GB+

    Votes: 6 0.8%

  • Total voters
    710
I heard about this just recently, I think it is still being worked on. All OpenZFS platforms.

Interesting. I'm going to have to do some googling. I just put 512GB in my new server build, was hoping to boost the ARC size to make it perform a little better, but I don't want it to choke.
 
I had 512 but decided to split it between 2 servers rather than put it all in one.

But I do have a Linux box with 256GB, do I get a consolation prize? :D
Sorry no prizes for 256GB since I didn't get one for the 256GB in my z420! :D
 
Yes me, I grabbed a fresh new kit of Teamgroup Delta T-Force 7600MHz C36 2x24GB 48GB kit. No option in the poll 😃
 
12GB? Am I reading that correctly? Some people have 12GB of Ram which is really weird number, isn't it?
 
12GB? Am I reading that correctly? Some people have 12GB of Ram which is really weird number, isn't it?

Bloomfield (x58 / Core i7-9xx) series CPU's had triple channel RAM, so you typically had 3 or 6 sticks if you used all slots.

These were the HEDT version of the generation right before Sandy Bridge, so, Intel Core gen 1.5 if I am counting Intel right?

I never quite understood how Sandy Bridge was second Gen Core, if prior to it we had:

- Core Solo / Core Duo (Yonah / Enhanced Pentium M)
- Core 2 Duo / Core 2 Quad (Merom)
- Nehalem / Bloomfield

If you ask me, Sandy Bridge should have been 4th gen Core.

Maybe they only count i3/i5/i7/i9 as being "core" despite there being two iterations of "core" before that (Yonah & Merom). In that case Nehalem and Bloomfield are first gen core, Sandy is Second Gen core, etc. etc.

Who knows what Intel's marketing department was smoking back then. Numbers hard.

Either way, when I first got my i7-920, I put 3x 2GB sticks in it, for 6GB. Before I retired it it had three 4GB sticks for a total 12GB in it. But yeah, that was a long time ago. They are a little long in the tooth at this point (I switched away from my Core i7-920 in 2011), but I'm sure there are quite a few of them still out there.
 
Last edited:
12GB? Am I reading that correctly? Some people have 12GB of Ram which is really weird number, isn't it?
Not when you consider Intel had mainstream triple channel memory for a few years available to consumers. Boards had 6 slots for ram. 12gb was a common configuration back then.

Also many laptops come with 4gb soldered on, with an open slot. A popular choice for many years was to stick a 8gb stick in them also.
 
When I built my i7 7700k in 2017 I installed 32 GB. At the point when I upgraded to the Ryzen 7800X3D, I was regularly pushing up to the 32 GB limit. I saw DDR5 was now available in capacities of 24 GB a stick so I briefly contemplated doing 48 GB for the Ryzen, but immediately saw that 48 GB kits were equal in price to 64 GB kits, so 64 GB it is.
 
I upgraded to a 64GB kit last year I think. I went with a 4 stick kit so I could fill up all the slots,
IMG_3406.JPEG
Corsair didn't make the dummy kits for this model ram stick at the time, but looks like they have them now,
1715219345257.png


I had these dummy sticks in my other machine, 2x 16GB plus the 2 matching dummy sticks, it just looks nicer with all the slots filled, imho.
1715219488245.png
 
I upgraded to a 64GB kit last year I think. I went with a 4 stick kit so I could fill up all the slots,
View attachment 652673
Corsair didn't make the dummy kits for this model ram stick at the time, but looks like they have them now,
View attachment 652674

I had these dummy sticks in my other machine, 2x 16GB plus the 2 matching dummy sticks, it just looks nicer with all the slots filled, imho.
View attachment 652676

Mine came with the memory. Don't think I'd pay $30 just for the LED's.
 
I've decided that for me, 32GB is the sweet spot. Don't really need any more than that. I recently built a new daily driver and went AMD this time. I use Linux so I really have no need for gobs of memory. Plus I only light game. Having more memory than you need is a waste, unless you need it for bragging rights.
 
I've decided that for me, 32GB is the sweet spot. Don't really need any more than that. I recently built a new daily driver and went AMD this time. I use Linux so I really have no need for gobs of memory. Plus I only light game. Having more memory than you need is a waste, unless you need it for bragging rights.
To be fair, I game heavily and 32GB is more than enough. A lot of the times you can get much tighter timings too...
 
I did a memory upgrade the other day, but not in capacity. Swapped my 14700KF machine from 4000MT B-die DDR4 to 7200MT DDR5. Still at 32GB since that's my gaming machine- the 5950X workstation has 128GB which should be more than enough for the "little bit of everything" I do on that box.

I wasn't sure that how much of a difference I'd see but so far I'm noticing way less microstuttering with modded Cyberpunk which is welcome. And my TimeSpy CPU score is way up which should help me get more cups on HWBot!
 
Back
Top