• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How much RAM you got?

How much RAM is installed on your rig?

  • 4GB or less

    Votes: 1 0.1%
  • 4GB+

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8GB+

    Votes: 14 2.0%
  • 12GB+

    Votes: 1 0.1%
  • 16GB+

    Votes: 115 16.2%
  • 32GB+

    Votes: 318 44.8%
  • 64GB+

    Votes: 222 31.3%
  • 128GB+

    Votes: 24 3.4%
  • 256GB+

    Votes: 9 1.3%
  • 512GB+

    Votes: 6 0.8%

  • Total voters
    710
Yup. Got bragging rights now. 😎
1701970266011.png

Heh.
 
I was a startup a couple of jobs ago. My hosts had 4TB of RAM each.
 
I'm thinking sooner than that because win11=more bloat.
I doubt there is much difference, they are almost the same OS, looking a couple of video testing up to date win10 vs win11, at least for fresh install, ram usage seem the same when not a tiny bit lower on win11.

Running a bunch of different AI inference model from SOC with custom AI capability could be the next shift in ram use for "regular" people, but there is many sign that small specialized 1.5-3 billion model can do a lot... , still 3-7 of RAM used.. if you have a language, personal assistant one that came with the OS running, one for your work and one that is specialized for one or your common activity and do not want to jungle which are active or closed, it could make 64 gig interesting.
 
I doubt there is much difference, they are almost the same OS, looking a couple of video testing up to date win10 vs win11, at least for fresh install, ram usage seem the same when not a tiny bit lower on win11.

Running a bunch of different AI inference model from SOC with custom AI capability could be the next shift in ram use for "regular" people, but there is many sign that small specialized 1.5-3 billion model can do a lot... , still 3-7 of RAM used.. if you have a language, personal assistant one that came with the OS running, one for your work and one that is specialized for one or your common activity and do not want to jungle which are active or closed, it could make 64 gig interesting.
Like all the versions of windows before it, I'm sure at some point win11 will require more memory.

Yeah, all these new applications will need gobs of memory to run well--especially when most of the development of this stuff is being done on systems with far more memory than 64GB.
 
Yeah, all these new applications will need gobs of memory to run well--especially when most of the development of this stuff is being done on systems with far more memory than 64GB.

Give a programmer a slow computer and he/she will write fast programs.

(slowly)
 
Interesting that 75% of votes have at least 32GB :) The 64GB route has been moving up recently, too.
 
Interesting that 75% of votes have at least 32GB :) The 64GB route has been moving up recently, too.
Par for the course imo. You should have seen how many people went to 32MB as soon as 98se came out. ;)
 
Just upgraded my Linux box daily driver to 256GB and system info is showing 251.7. Is this normal? I tested the memory with memtest and it all passed.
 
2023 update:

Desktop/Workstation still has 64GB (4x16Gb) but now DDR4-3600, unbuffered, not ECC

Currently deployed server has 256GB (16x16GB) Registered DDR3-1600, ECC

I am currently testing what will become my next server on my desk in my office. It has 512GB (8x64GB) Registered DDR4-3200, ECC
 
O Give Me Land Lots of Land under Starry Skies Above, Don't Fence Me In......

Just created a 128GB swap file in memory just because I could. :p

OK, just changed it to a more reasonable 4GB which is twice the default size. Should be plenty enough for my needs.
 
Last edited:
O Give Me Land Lots of Land under Starry Skies Above, Don't Fence Me In......

Just created a 128GB swap file in memory just because I could. :p

OK, just changed it to a more reasonable 4GB which is twice the default size. Should be plenty enough for my needs.
You don't need no stinken swap file if you have enough memory. :D

The reality is that some programs depend on a swap file so best to have one, but I'd make it bigger since you don't want some dumb program crashing because the swap was too small.
 
You don't need no stinken swap file if you have enough memory. :D

The reality is that some programs depend on a swap file so best to have one, but I'd make it bigger since you don't want some dumb program crashing because the swap was too small.

I thought he meant it was a "for fun" thing. Otherwise putting one on a RAM drive would have no purpose at all, as the system would be better served by just using the RAM directly :p
 
I thought he meant it was a "for fun" thing. Otherwise putting one on a RAM drive would have no purpose at all, as the system would be better served by just using the RAM directly :p
Yep, I think he meant it for fun, but with the stupid requirement of windows needing a swap file, might as well put it in ram vs storage.
 
Yep, I think he meant it for fun, but with the stupid requirement of windows needing a swap file, might as well put it in ram vs storage.

Wait, you can't disable the swap anymore? I've been doing this for decades. If it has been re-enabled through updates, I hadn't noticed.
 
Wait, you can't disable the swap anymore? I've been doing this for decades. If it has been re-enabled through updates, I hadn't noticed.
You can disable it, but some badly coded stuff breaks if you do. I ran into this years ago so I stopped shutting it off.
 
You can disable it, but some badly coded stuff breaks if you do. I ran into this years ago so I stopped shutting it off.
Interesting. I've never had an issue, but then again, I only use Windows for games these days.
 
Interesting. I've never had an issue, but then again, I only use Windows for games these days.
It's been several years so maybe it's not an issue anymore. I only use portable software anymore so my OSes are generally not being touched by the programs so maybe it's a non-issue. I just remember something having a fit until I added the swapfile back--might have just been an issue with my xp embedded thin clients as I just checked and they have a 0mb swapfile.
 
I read somewhere that putting the swap file in ram will speed the computer up. Can't prove it by me. May have been true in the Stone Age but not today. But it was easy to configure and it's easy to turn off. Only wasted about 30 minutes at most.
 
I read somewhere that putting the swap file in ram will speed the computer up. Can't prove it by me. May have been true in the Stone Age but not today. But it was easy to configure and it's easy to turn off. Only wasted about 30 minutes at most.
Probably was a bit true back in the day when swap files and memory were optimized differently than today. It's crazy to think that we've actually got to the point where everything can be in ram and there is no 'storage' and ram, but yet we are still not completely there yet because RAM is still faster than 'storage', but that gap is closing. I guess that's what optane was supposed to be about.
 
Probably was a bit true back in the day when swap files and memory were optimized differently than today. It's crazy to think that we've actually got to the point where everything can be in ram and there is no 'storage' and ram, but yet we are still not completely there yet because RAM is still faster than 'storage', but that gap is closing. I guess that's what optane was supposed to be about.
Optane is awesome but RAM it is not. There were some ram-like products for the server space though, but I can't remember what their applications were.

I went up to 64GB in my desktop already in 2014 when I decommissioned an old consumer parts server. I had extra slots on my motherboard so I popped the RAM from the server in and had 64GB with no need for it.

I used to run Red Orchestra 2 from a ram disk just so I could join maps faster and prevent noobs who didn't know how to play important player classes from snagging them, losing us an entire map. It was pretty awesome. I always joined maps first.
 
Optane is awesome but RAM it is not. There were some ram-like products for the server space though, but I can't remember what their applications were.

I went up to 64GB in my desktop already in 2014 when I decommissioned an old consumer parts server. I had extra slots on my motherboard so I popped the RAM from the server in and had 64GB with no need for it.

I used to run Red Orchestra 2 from a ram disk just so I could join maps faster and prevent noobs who didn't know how to play important player classes from snagging them, losing us an entire map. It was pretty awesome. I always joined maps first.
Ah yes, the NVDIMMs that were supported on some boards. And then there was the Intel Phi chips that had so many cores and memory that you could install and run windows right from ram with their proprietary motherboard setup.

I actually haven't run a ram drive since the days of ramdisk.sys so I have no idea how to do it, lol. But that's definitely an awesome use for it if it gave you that much of an advantage. :)
 
Just upgraded to a 7800x3d system and stayed with 32gb. Don't see the need for more.
 
Just deployed new mainboard in server. 384 GB. ZFS will be happy.
Nice!

Just upgraded to a 7800x3d system and stayed with 32gb. Don't see the need for more.

Boooooo. (n) Just kidding! Great that it's able to just stay put where its at. I'm able to keep ram at 4GB on older systems but that's because they're only 32-bit. Still usable though!
 
Just deployed new mainboard in server. 384 GB. ZFS will be happy.

One of the same reasons I have lots of RAM.

Back a decade ago there used to be a level where if you made the ARC use too much RAM, the system would choke in managing it, causing severe timeouts.

If I recall they recommended not setting the ARC larger than 128GB back then.

I'm hoping/guessing they must have resolved that by now. This may have been a FeeBSD issue now that I think about it. Not sure.
 
One of the same reasons I have lots of RAM.

Back a decade ago there used to be a level where if you made the ARC use too much RAM, the system would choke in managing it, causing severe timeouts.

If I recall they recommended not setting the ARC larger than 128GB back then.

I'm hoping/guessing they must have resolved that by now. This may have been a FeeBSD issue now that I think about it. Not sure.

I heard about this just recently, I think it is still being worked on. All OpenZFS platforms.
 
Back
Top