HIS 5970 is here!!!

... it might be worth checking your PSUs maximum output of current through the 8pin and 6 pin connectors, AMD recommend 20A and 16A respectively....

This seems like a crazy amount of power, even for really overvolted cards. The stock power draw of the card is 300w, with 75w coming from the PCIE bus and 225w coming from the PCIE connectors. That is about 19A between the two connectors. It seems hard to believe the card could make use of nearly double that amount of power on the PCIE connectors; hopefully it is just an overestimate, but I suppose the closer you get to that recommendation the better your overvolting stability.
 
Just wanted to thank you guys for posting on the 5970. Amazing results and benchmarks you have there, keep 'em coming :).
 
I'm keeping my eye out, unfortunately due to shops fighting over stock the price is now £530+ for these cards, my pre order is still £440 so it's a risk canceling the order, it might arrive in a few days time and if I cancel im down nearly £100. That's a lot of money for just a few days wait :S

This seems like a crazy amount of power, even for really overvolted cards. The stock power draw of the card is 300w, with 75w coming from the PCIE bus and 225w coming from the PCIE connectors. That is about 19A between the two connectors. It seems hard to believe the card could make use of nearly double that amount of power on the PCIE connectors; hopefully it is just an overestimate, but I suppose the closer you get to that recommendation the better your overvolting stability.

It's almost certainly an over estimate, I mean on a 12v rail with 75W and 150W through the 6/8 pin connectors you're pulling 12.5A and 6.25A anyway. But the clocks on the 5970 default are artifically lower than the hardware is spec'd for, and overclocking can push it way past spec, so the difference between stock clocks and overclocked is massive. 725Mhz to 1000Mhz+ on the core and 1000mhz to 1300mhz on the memory, both clocks that have been achieved already.

The closer you get to the PSU limits the less stable the voltage will be, fluctuations in power will be greater and theres only so much cleaning up of the incoming supply the card can do before that hits the core/mem.
 
Last edited:
Ohh also, has anyone got anythign definitive to say on the drivers best used for this card, I hear all sorts of mixed reviews about the new betas being pretty bad, about the 9.11 not being great either, is it best to just stick to the set released with the card?
 
Ohh also, has anyone got anythign definitive to say on the drivers best used for this card, I hear all sorts of mixed reviews about the new betas being pretty bad, about the 9.11 not being great either, is it best to just stick to the set released with the card?

Beta 5 is the newest driver recommended for the 5970 by ATI. Yeah, it's a little buggy but it's not a show stopper.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/pages/GPU37-driver-for-ati-radeon-hd-5970.aspx
 
This seems like a crazy amount of power, even for really overvolted cards. The stock power draw of the card is 300w, with 75w coming from the PCIE bus and 225w coming from the PCIE connectors. That is about 19A between the two connectors. It seems hard to believe the card could make use of nearly double that amount of power on the PCIE connectors; hopefully it is just an overestimate, but I suppose the closer you get to that recommendation the better your overvolting stability.

I was reading some power usage benches on a 5970 review somewhere. The stock 5970 indeed draws around 300 watts. But the Overclocked 5970 drew over 460w! I'll see if I can find the graphs.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_radeon_5970/6.htm

"Peak load when overclocked came in at 486 watts with load temperatures peaking at 69 Celsius with the fan at 85%." This was with an OC of 890/1250 on the Sapphire 5970.

Interesting benches of Crysis Warhead. Sapphire 5970 OC actually beats the 5870CF and crushes the GTX 295 easily.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_radeon_5970/8.htm
 
Last edited:
I was reading some power usage benches on a 5970 review somewhere. The stock 5970 indeed draws around 300 watts. But the Overclocked 5970 drew over 460w!

Well, subtracting out the 75w from the bus, that is just over 32A. Pretty close to the 36A estimate being quoted as being from AMD.
 
streetfighter4.jpg
 
Colt are you running a single 5970? You have the same model and brand video card as mine. But you're getting double the frames?
 
Colt are you running a single 5970? You have the same model and brand video card as mine. But you're getting double the frames?

Yup, running a single 5970 here. Would be nice if I had another one :) What is your Catalyst AI setting at right now?
 
Colt are you running a single 5970? You have the same model and brand video card as mine. But you're getting double the frames?

do you have all the settings in CCC raised?

I have 5870 CF and I get ~270 FPS...so it seems your FPS are really low if they are half of his 5970
 
Weird. running my 5970 at 850/1200. Maybe I'll try the benchmark again.

SFIV5970_850_1200.jpg


Still over 100 FPS difference. That's really inexplicable.
Additional weirdness, I can't get Ken to show up anymore?
 
Last edited:
TPQ-1200 has arrived! Can't wait to plug in this new powerplant and see if it will fix some OC stability issues. Maybe I'll even be able to run my rig at 4.2?? :D I always did wonder if plugging in another 8 pin socket would make a difference. Now I will get to find out! :D

TPQ1200_02.jpg
 
Weird. running my 5970 at 850/1200. Maybe I'll try the benchmark again.

Still over 100 FPS difference. That's really inexplicable.
Additional weirdness, I can't get Ken to show up anymore?

I showed you earlier in this thread that i get double your FPS with double the resolution. just look back phew pages.
 
I showed you earlier in this thread that i get double your FPS with double the resolution. just look back phew pages.

That was when I only had one of the GPUs overclocked.
I don't see much of a difference having both GPUs OCed to 850/1200.

You also had a different brand 5970, Sapphire vs HIS. So I chalked it up to brand at the time.
The other poster also has HIS 5970. What speeds/volts do your run your 5970 at?
I hope this is a driver issue. LOL. Cos the video hardware is identical. HIS 5970 and HIS 5970.

Also what are your RE5 bench results?
 
That was when I only had one of the GPUs overclocked.
I don't see much of a difference having both GPUs OCed to 850/1200.

You also had a different brand 5970, Sapphire vs HIS. So I chalked it up to brand at the time.
The other poster also has HIS 5970. What speeds/volts do your run your 5970 at?
I hope this is a driver issue. LOL. Cos the video hardware is identical. HIS 5970 and HIS 5970.

Also what are your RE5 bench results?

What are your Catalyst AI settings? (Off, Simple, or Advanced)
 
That was when I only had one of the GPUs overclocked.
I don't see much of a difference having both GPUs OCed to 850/1200.

You also had a different brand 5970, Sapphire vs HIS. So I chalked it up to brand at the time.
The other poster also has HIS 5970. What speeds/volts do your run your 5970 at?
I hope this is a driver issue. LOL. Cos the video hardware is identical. HIS 5970 and HIS 5970.

Also what are your RE5 bench results?

Actually i have OEM straight from ATI no Saphire or HIS but that should not matter since all cards are exactly the same hardware wise.
The bench i posted are with 800/1100 default core but i retested with 850/1200 and i just got 2 more FPS strange.
 
I have read somewhere that XFX 5970 only the Black Edition allow to use overvolt tool, does that mean other vendor did the same too?

I am a bit confuse here. My XFX 5970 from buy.com just got cancel due to out of stock, and I am glad it got cancel if it is true that only certain 5970 can use it..
 
Actually i have OEM straight from ATI no Saphire or HIS but that should not matter since all cards are exactly the same hardware wise.
The bench i posted are with 800/1100 default core but i retested with 850/1200 and i just got 2 more FPS strange.

LOL, I have one too :p straight from ATI, I think you got yours from the same person!
 
Ok running my new system on 1200 Watts of power! Woot! :D Everything seems to be humming except for the top fan. Weird, wonder why that's not working. Gotta work on that later.

Also have to watch the Patriots/Saints game tonight. Gonna have to hold off on serious overclocking attempts till tomorrow!

PS The HIS multitool is actually quite useful. Especially with that built in light and screwdriver heads. I used it extensively while rewiring my computer with the new TPQ-1200. =)

Oh and I have CCC on advanced. I don't know what settings more I can change besides core speed and memory speed to increase performance? Everything else has been left on default except for core/mem clocks.
 
Last edited:
PS The HIS multitool is actually quite useful. Especially with that built in light and screwdriver heads. I used it extensively while rewiring my computer with the new TPQ-1200. =)

Thought the same thing when I opened it up. Used it to install the card, and then tweak my fans on the antec 1200 case on the back [little switches, no light, lol].
 
Got my 5970 today. Pleased with the performance for the most part but I am getting some major stuttering in Crysis Warhead with the latest DiRT 2 hotfix drivers. Seems to only happen in the beach scene on the first level. Anyone else getting this?

It runs at like 40 FPS then drop down to 10 FPS instantly when looking at the beach.
 
I am now contemplating the insanity that is 5970 Crossfire.
My Sapphire 5970 shipped from Amazon.
OMG. WIll install tomorrow when it arrives!
 
I am now contemplating the insanity that is 5970 Crossfire.
My Sapphire 5970 shipped from Amazon.
OMG. WIll install tomorrow when it arrives!

Without eyefinity 3x30" monitor, I have no idea what you're going to use 5970 quadfire / crossfire for =p other then to heat your house
 
Got my 5970 today. Pleased with the performance for the most part but I am getting some major stuttering in Crysis Warhead with the latest DiRT 2 hotfix drivers. Seems to only happen in the beach scene on the first level. Anyone else getting this?

It runs at like 40 FPS then drop down to 10 FPS instantly when looking at the beach.

that is a known issue for Multi-GPU setup in Crysis..

don't know why [H] review never mention about it...
 
that is a known issue for Multi-GPU setup in Crysis..

don't know why [H] review never mention about it...

Odd they didn't mention it. Good to know it isn't a hardware fault though.. was worried something might be wrong with my card.
 
Odd they didn't mention it. Good to know it isn't a hardware fault though.. was worried something might be wrong with my card.

No its drivers for the card.Heres one noone heard before wiat till the next drivers come out,its going to be great.
I have a Nvidia 285 TRISLI thats ok with Crysis/WH.
 
No its drivers for the card.Heres one noone heard before wiat till the next drivers come out,its going to be great.
I have a Nvidia 285 TRISLI thats ok with Crysis/WH.

no, I had GTX 260 SLI and GTX 295, both have that problems..

its the game that have problem with multi-GPU on that level, it doesnt happen in Crysis, only in warhead with specific parts..

a lot of people can confirm this as well as pyside who have exact same problem on GTX 295.
 
Got my 5970 today. Pleased with the performance for the most part but I am getting some major stuttering in Crysis Warhead with the latest DiRT 2 hotfix drivers. Seems to only happen in the beach scene on the first level. Anyone else getting this?

It runs at like 40 FPS then drop down to 10 FPS instantly when looking at the beach.

I've been using the beta5 hemlock drivers [revision before the dirt2 fix i believe] and haven't had any stuttering issues in warhead.
 
Sigh, still waiting on my card, apparantly they've FINALLY passed customs in the UK and are on their way to ebuyer expected delivery to ebuyer is late tonight or early tomorrow, hopefully get a wednesday dispatch and thursday delivery.

It's like waiting for christmas as a kid except it keeps getting put back, immensly frustrating.
 
I've been using the beta5 hemlock drivers [revision before the dirt2 fix i believe] and haven't had any stuttering issues in warhead.

go to the beach level, or the level where you just finish fighting the boss with your squad.

you will see a extreme stutter there..
 
You are right, but I wouldn't exactly call it a "stutter". It's more like if you look in one particular direction, performance goes down to about 20fps. I would call that more of a game bug than a driver issue, no? Look slight left or right and you are back to normal performance. maybe the engine is drawing a massive amount of things in that particular view direction causing the drop. not sure...
 
You are right, but I wouldn't exactly call it a "stutter". It's more like if you look in one particular direction, performance goes down to about 20fps. I would call that more of a game bug than a driver issue, no? Look slight left or right and you are back to normal performance. maybe the engine is drawing a massive amount of things in that particular view direction causing the drop. not sure...

Well, if you try to move in these low FPS areas, it definitely feels like stutter. It could be the game itself but I'm leaning towards a driver issue, didn't have the issue with a single 5870.
 
You are right, but I wouldn't exactly call it a "stutter". It's more like if you look in one particular direction, performance goes down to about 20fps. I would call that more of a game bug than a driver issue, no? Look slight left or right and you are back to normal performance. maybe the engine is drawing a massive amount of things in that particular view direction causing the drop. not sure...

that is a game bug correct, but this have nothing to do with massive amount of things, it just engine problem since it doesn't happen on single GPU solution.

also, in parts like Tunnel where you spawn with your squads and right after boss defeat. the FPS stay around 20-25, but the screen is stuttering like crazy and feels like 5fps, there is something wrong with it there..

Well, if you try to move in these low FPS areas, it definitely feels like stutter. I'm leaning towards a driver issue, didn't have the issue with a single 5870.


its not driver issue when nVidia have the same problem..
 
that is a game bug correct, but this have nothing to do with massive amount of things, it just engine problem since it doesn't happen on single GPU solution.

also, in parts like Tunnel where you spawn with your squads and right after boss defeat. the FPS stay around 20-25, but the screen is stuttering like crazy and feels like 5fps, there is something wrong with it there..




its not driver issue when nVidia have the same problem..

Oh.. didn't realize it was affecting Nvidia cards as well. Must be a engine-related bug then.
 
Back
Top