High end PC owners Will YOU be buying the 360?!!

InternationalHat said:
Why are people using CoD2 to compare?

Use HL2, the review on IGN clearly states the PC game has a higher level of detail than that on the Xbox. Besides, Xbox usually shines at sports/racing games etc. Playing an FPS on one is awkward and frustrating.
Maybe because CoD2 is a game for xbox360 and Half-life 2 is for the xbox :rolleyes:

MadDog5145 said:
Maybe because CoD2 is a game for xbox360 and Half-life 2 is for the xbox :rolleyes:

I saw CoD2 for both, and they looked the same. Although to run it at the same quality levels as the XBox 360, you'll have to have a badass machine.

I think that the theoretical power of the x360 is much greater than what will be used, for the first few years at least. It has three cores, so what? Multithreading apps ain't like dusting crops, boy. Carmack tried to multithread quake 3 and gave up. Yeah, the man who made the first pc game that actuall scrolled (commander keen) and the first 3d games (doom, quake) gave up on multithreading. Not that it can't be done, but I bet you won't see games actually using all 3 cores until the end of the 360's lifespan. I honestly would rather spend $800 on PC parts than $400 on a 360, because it's just going to be the same games with slightly improved graphics and HDTV support.

I'll consider buying one next year when I can see it head to head with the competition.
At this point, the only must play game for me on the system is PGR3. Nothing else looks interesting to me.

For the price that I paid to build the rig in my sig, I will wait untill the Revolution. All I really play nowadays is CS:S, even though I own FEAR, BF2, etc.

comming from a just above midranged sytem owner, I will not buy an X360 for at least another 2.5 years.

Not right away. My PC has better versions of half the launch titles, not to mention an infinitely better control scheme for the types of games I play. I'll pick up a 360 sometime in the next 6-12 months, but I'm in no hurry. I'm a lot more interested in the Revolution to tell the truth.

Yes I will buy one. why? I skipped the PS2, Xbox, dreamcast, gamecube, etc. Haven't owned a console since PS1 so I'm damn ready for a new one. Plus pc gaming is so isolated, I can't really enjoy it with family or friends, the 360 can go in the living room on the future 42" HDTV and everyone can play and have fun.. it will also keep those family and friends OFF MY PC, one wrong website and your rig is in spyware hell so I'd rather them screw around on the 360 than my pc :)

Steel Chicken said:
maybe later. since theres no real titles im dying to get, i see no reason to get one.

I am getting it mainly because my regular DVD player is dying, and some of it's no gaming features interest me. Plus, I am sure there will be a few games over the course of it's production run that I will want to get.

Sir-Fragalot said:
I am getting it mainly because my regular DVD player is dying, and some of it's no gaming features interest me. Plus, I am sure there will be a few games over the course of it's production run that I will want to get.

a good point. i should check up on more of those other media center type features.
either way, it will be later after the hype and prices have died down.

Steel Chicken said:
a good point. i should check up on more of those other media center type features.
either way, it will be later after the hype and prices have died down.

Same here. I likely won't be buying one until after the first of the year.

Of course...but I Just layed down $1700+ on my two GTXs and my water cooling...so I think it's going to be a month or so before I can...hopefully they are available then.

I'd buy it solely for PGR3, even if there weren't any other games coming out. And the hope of Forza 2? That's just gravy.

Rudager said:
Of course...but I Just layed down $1700+ on my two GTXs and my water cooling...so I think it's going to be a month or so before I can...hopefully they are available then.

Dude, you need dual GTXs and a 4.32 Ghz Prescott to run a 19" LCD ? What is that, 1280x1024 at the highest? You could be getting crazy framerates on a 2405fpw.

Will I buy a 360? Yes, but I'm reselling it the minute I pick it up. I was the first or second pre-order in for the local EB, so I am gauranteed one (I figured something like this shortage might happen, and bet the $5 for the pre-order on it). My plan is to pick it up, and hang out till it becomse evident to the crowd that many who thought they would be getting one won't be, and see if I can unload it for $600 or so, if not, I'll get it on e-bay.

Now, I will be buying a PS3 when that comes out (well, I'll probably order a couple, one to keep, one to resell to pay for the first one). For now my PS2 takes care of all of my gaming needs, and seeing an advert the other day for some new COD game for PS2 (can't remember the title) wow, I was blown away, easily the best graphics I have seen on any console to date, I thought it was a 360 commercial until they showed it was a PS2 game at the end.

I will wait for the frenzy to die down and at least 1 killer app to be released (preferrably a good RPG)... then when the PS3 comes out.. I will get one of those too. No need for a console vs. pc debate.. Have all three and you won't have to worry about what version of a particular game is better.

jtsnewo4 said:
Yes I do.

Hmm, this is sort of off-topic, but I checked some screenies at IGN and the game looks damn good... Similar to what I saw inthe commercial (though I do agree some of it was definately CG, I don't think it all was).

remember these are launch titles

look back and compare launch titles to later titles

Final Fantasy 7 compared to Final Fantasy 9 - id say there was a difference

anyway im not sure ill have to wait until after xmas because i didnt preorder by that time more people will have time to throw in their 2 cents on the system

Molingrad said:
remember these are launch titles

look back and compare launch titles to later titles

Final Fantasy 7 compared to Final Fantasy 9 - id say there was a difference

anyway im not sure ill have to wait until after xmas because i didnt preorder by that time more people will have time to throw in their 2 cents on the system

Best post so far. These games are going to look twice as good in another year, I wouldn't judge graphical performance now. None of the 3 systems are gimped (like the PS2 was compared to the xbox and GC), I bet we see similar visuals on all of them.

They totally screwed themselves over on the launch titles; I can count the exclusives on one hand. I can count the exclusives that I actually want on one finger. They had to go with ports because it's obvious the whole thing was rushed, but still, why the hell do I care to pay $500 just so I can play lackluster games (CoD2) slightly faster than my PC can?

If they come out with enough good exclusive games I'll get one, just like I got a PS2.

NulloModo said:
Dude, you need dual GTXs and a 4.32 Ghz Prescott to run a 19" LCD ? What is that, 1280x1024 at the highest? You could be getting crazy framerates on a 2405fpw.

Yeah I know...that was my next purchase for my computer (that was the exact montior I was planning on getting) but first things first for now.

Im not planning on it. BUT my cousin will no doubt get one and, I will reserve judgement till I see it in the real world. If it is good enough then I might get one. It needs to have a major improvement for me to get one. Otherwise it is PC for me.

NulloModo said:
Hmm, this is sort of off-topic, but I checked some screenies at IGN and the game looks damn good... Similar to what I saw inthe commercial (though I do agree some of it was definately CG, I don't think it all was).

It was all CG.

The new commercial for the X360 CoD2 is all 100% CG too, which is just silly.

[Fate]Doom said:
It was all CG.

The new commercial for the X360 CoD2 is all 100% CG too, which is just silly.

There's a new one that all in-game. It's a guy looking for his buddy in multiplayer, and talking smack. Then, his buddy sneaks up behind him and kills him. All in-game.

diehard said:
You do know that the latest $700 dollar 512mb 7800GTX gets about 52 fps with no AA at 1280x1024, right?

I dunno, COD2 runs really good at 1600x1200 on my 6800GT.

sarbz said:
There's a new one that all in-game. It's a guy looking for his buddy in multiplayer, and talking smack. Then, his buddy sneaks up behind him and kills him. All in-game.

Maybe that is what I saw... I don't know, the IGN screenies match up really well to the commercial, and it all looks awesome. Still, I doubt I will buy the game (I don't much enjoy shooters) but it is nice to know that the emotion engine is still holding its own. It has, and always has, had the capability to destroy the graphics options of the GC and the Xbox, Sony just fucked up making it so hard to program for (a mistake they may have repeated with the PS3... only time will tell on that one).

IceWind said:
Nice broad statement there, how about some specifics like game settings and what GAME exactly.
Sorry i was quoting Redline, in reference to COD 2.
http://firingsquad.com/hardware/call_of_duty_2_performance_ati_nvidia/page4.asp
IMHO, ithey all look to run it worse than the 360 , i got the new GTX Framerate of 52 in their newer article, which had benchmarks for it.

rayq said:
I don't know how because it runs like ass on my 6800 ultra at 1680x1050.

NulloModo said:
Maybe that is what I saw... I don't know, the IGN screenies match up really well to the commercial, and it all looks awesome. Still, I doubt I will buy the game (I don't much enjoy shooters) but it is nice to know that the emotion engine is still holding its own. It has, and always has, had the capability to destroy the graphics options of the GC and the Xbox, Sony just fucked up making it so hard to program for (a mistake they may have repeated with the PS3... only time will tell on that one).
The commercial that is in realtime is for COD 2, on the 360 and PC only. The one for the PS2 version is Called Big Red One and there isnt a realtime commercial for it.

I got a x2 64 3800 oc'ed now stable 2.8 ghz with a 7800gt 481/1250 2 gigs ram with a 21 sony crt monitor x-fi sound card 2-sata 2 hds etc and trust me the xbox is a nice console but cant even compare to my machine graphics wise period. I have seen it played it allready and seen cod on it and king kong I have downloaded the hi-res version of king kong most of you only downloaded the normal version and the pc simply blows the xbox 360 away just no comparison. However, I have thousands of dollars in this system and the xbox 360 is only 400.00 bucks and I think its a great console and great value and I will purchase one just to have it on my big 50' hdtv but make no mistake if you have close to the best of the best with a computer right now it the xbox 360 will not even come close simple as that. Anyways I will have them both but the xbox 360 mainly for my 10 yearold the computer stays with me because I demand best quality :) If you compared cod2 on my computer at 1600x1200 4x8 aa/af sumpersamp trilinear etc etc etc all cranked pumping major fps then you would clearly understand the quality difference between the two.

Ps. I dont think the programmers have yet to harness the full potential of the xbox360 yet and we will see it get better over time, however, as it is now its a very good ( best ) console

I would buy xbox360 if:

I could upgrade it like my PC or wouldn't be out of date in a few months.
I didn't have to use a goddamn controller and instead I could use keyboard/mouse and my joystick for flying.
I could run my choice of apps and OS on the system without modding.
I could a large size RAID to it.
It had OC capability.
It had adjustable graphics settings, but static hardware eliminates that option.
I could run Battlefield 2 and Shadowbane on it.
Console games weren't so inferior in the sense that the vast majority are only single player and I don't know of xbox360 is the same, but I'm not willing to pay just so I can play online. I pay for an internet connection and there's NO reason I should pay to play console games online.
I didn't think I'd rather buy 40 Backstreet Boys CDs.
It wasn't made by Empiresoft! <= Most important

No, I'm not buying xbox 360.

I'm buying the 360 and camping in line monday night I can't wait! As for the aa, the demo units do NOT have aa enabled. The retail units will have aa enabled on them.

rayg said:
(no af,aa, medium-low settings to boot my good man?)
people like to compare 1280x720 to similar resolutions on pc, but when you do make sure the game has 16:9 enabled as it does impact preformence

Back