High end PC owners Will YOU be buying the 360?!!

I havn't decided, but it's either buy the Xbox360, or buy a second video card and run an SLI setup on my rig. Any suggestions? I really want the Xbox360, but I really want that second video card too.............

diehard said:
From what i can gather its pretty much locked at 60fps.

Just what have you gathered? just single player 60fps or are you saying the xbox 360 is constant 60fps in a 26 multiplayer with loads of smoke grenades going off everywhere?, because my rig is way over 60 fps in single player mode!

diehard said:
The commercial that is in realtime is for COD 2, on the 360 and PC only. The one for the PS2 version is Called Big Red One and there isnt a realtime commercial for it.

You suck at life. The PS2 version is real. The emotion engine can destroy the graphics capability of the GC or the Xbox, you are just now seeing what it can do.

NulloModo said:
You suck at life. The PS2 version is real. The emotion engine can destroy the graphics capability of the GC or the Xbox, you are just now seeing what it can do.

I hope this was a completely sarcastic remark :)
The 200-ishmhz PS2, as you likely know, can't touch either of the other systems visually. Not to say it looks really bad, though (I own one), just the other are much more capable in the technical sense. (GC = 500mhz PPC, XB = 700mhz Celeron) Compare some screenshots for Big Red One at IGN or something? hehe

:D :D off topic, but looks at these screenshots of halo on 360 and xbox, not only did they add AA but look at one of the far away walls, AF mmm
1132363122.jpg

I will be picking up one for sure. Consoles always have many great games that you can never get on the PC platform.

junehhan said:
I havn't decided, but it's either buy the Xbox360, or buy a second video card and run an SLI setup on my rig. Any suggestions? I really want the Xbox360, but I really want that second video card too.............
I wouldn't from all the troubles I heard from SLI owners. Heck some people experience less performance with SLI.

NulloModo said:

Being a big fan of emulators I can tell you excatly what developers do to get more out of the PS2. Trust me it isn't using the Emotion Engine.

You gotta remember that the PS2 was poorly balanced. Lots of CPU power and crap for a graphics chip. Only 2 MB of VRAM with not texture compression. So how do developers do it?

First developers stream textures. By loading textures continuously from the CD drive they don't need to have lots of ram to store textures. Problem of course is that textures don't always load in time. Ever run around a game and suddenly see textures appear? Also maps can't be detailed. So they'll reuse the same textures over and over again. Making one area of the game less interesting.

Second they reduce the texture quality. I've heard developers found a way to use texture compression by using the processing power of the PS2's CPUs to do it. Of course there's only so much the Emotion Engine chip can do. So they simply reduce texture quality.

Take a look at this pic of GT4 in HDTV. http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/3867/gt4hdtv5bu5gx.jpg

Looks good right? The car sure does but look around. The buidling and the walls all look like crap. The reason is because the higher quality textures are given to things the player will look at the most. Everything else is moving too fast for you to even notice. Plus TV's like to blur images a lot so you won't notice it. You'd be lucky if you can read any of the signs in the game.

Now look at Forza on Xbox. Notice how nice everything looks.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/faranheit/multiscreen.jpg

These are actual shots from TVs. This is what you see when you play the game.

Finally there's how developers make the PS2 load game data. Since the PS2 streams textures, developers do the same for game data. Most games are cut into sections and lots of them. PS2 developers design their games so that you run into one section and fight for a while but at the same time the PS2 loads new data. Ever notice certain systematic routines that games make you do? That's to keep the pace of the game at the speed of the loading. Which means developers are limited to keep the player at the pace of the loading speed of the PS2.

All consoles do these things anyway but the GC and Xbox are not nearly as limited as the PS2. Developers don't learn to use the hardware better they simply learn to work around the player. By reducing texture quality and using the CD drive constantly is how the PS2 gets games to look like what they are today.

Yea and your pretty much all forgetting the fact that 90% of console games ARE PC PORTS.

Not really. Maybe for XBox 1, but I tend to find a LOT of games on my PS2 and Gamecube that can't be purchased anywhere else. In fact, I tend to buy games for my consoles that AREN'T on PC, because the PC version is almost always better. In other words, I purchase PC games for my PC, and console games for my consoles :)

J-M-E said:
Yea and your pretty much all forgetting the fact that 90% of console games ARE PC PORTS.

That number isn't even close to being true. Unless the company is mostly a pc company, any game on both pcs and consoles, were made on consoles first and then ported to pc.

having seen the x360 in a hd demo no.
it just does not have the polished look i am looking for just yet. maybe next year when developers will take advantage of its power and put out good looking games. plus by then the price will be 200 or so.
my 2-3 year old gaming computer can easily beat the xbox 360 right now.

I won't be buying one because I'm poor white trash with a $3k computer ....yay:rolleyes:

[H]

junehhan said:
I would really go with the 360, I think in the long run it will be worthwhile. Having a extra video card in sli will wear off after a while in excitment. Sli isn't that big of a boost in performance from a single card, at least the extra cash just to get a small perfomance increase. Also the 360 has support for video, mp3, high end gaming. It can be a media hub basically. And I'm sure that the 360 will get cracked in a short while opening up even more possabilites. I'm know where I'm gonna be monday night! Fighting for my life with soccer moms, and whinny kids trying to get my premium 360.

Yes and I am not and never was a PC fan boy like many people on this forum. I bought an Xbox a month after it came out and I will buy the Xbox 2 at launch.

I live in San Antonio too Staples, what area of town do you live in? I'm getting my 360 from walmart @ 1604/281.

There will be games such as Elder Scrolls 4 that I will want to play, but that I feel are much better played on a PC. On the other hand, Xbox will have Ridge Racer, PGR 3, maybe a Ninja Gaiden, etc. that are better played on console.

I am getting a Revolution, probably. Not a PS3 due to Sony's recent BS. I will keep my PC high-end. Let's wait and see what exclusive Xbox titles come down the turnpike...

At $400, no. Only once the price drops significantly and a game comes out for it that I can't live without, will I consider buying one :)

Nihilanth99 said:
At $400, no. Only once the price drops significantly and a game comes out for it that I can't live without, will I consider buying one :)

Same as I feel.

I prob wont buy another console for awhile, or until GT5 comes out with net play and FF13. I really have no will to play console games anymore, not much intrest. I'll prob be building a shuttle box first before I even touch another console.

No plans to buy a 360. The only games that I'm interested in are going to be available (if not already) on PC. If the system gets a couple of exclusive non-FPS games that I take a fancy to, I'll reconsider.

I don't need my two machines to compete. When I buy a console, it should complement what I can get on the PC. The problem is that competing is what the 360 will do if I buy one -- three of the genres that the 360 has a strong presence in are the same ones that the PC is strong in -- racing, FPS, and Western-style RPGs.

Racing. PGR3 looks nice, but doesn't look like something that will hold my interest. I haven't been into any console racing game for a while now...I used to be a huge GT fan (still am in some ways -- even now I'm still amazed at how well the series balances itself between being an arcade game and a simulation game), but most of the sim-racing scene is on the PC now (GPL, LFS, NR mods, etc etc). If (big if) I ever go back to console racing games, it'll likely be with GT5.

FPS. The only two ways a FPS game can be a must-have is either through: 1) graphics, or 2) innovative, addictive/deep gameplay. The FPS genre has been a little lacking in innovation lately, so it's going to be hard for the 360's FPS games to wow me with anything other than graphics. And that's going to be hard to do.

Western-style RPG's... Elder Scrolls. I'd rather just play this on my computer than buy a 360 to run the same game. The PC WRPG market is strong as well.

The "complementary" genres that should be catching my interest aren't:

Fighting games. DoA4 is nice looking, but DoA3 didn't impress me very much fighting mechanics-wise and it seems as if they didn't change that much between 3 and 4. I'm keeping my eyes open for what systems the next Virtua Figher and Guilty Gear land on.

J-RPG's (traditional, action, and strategy variations). They are so far off that it's hard to tell if anything that comes up will spark my interest or not. I see Sakaguchi's dev team announcing support, which is a good sign -- but I haven't seen any games yet. Too far away to judge.

And I want some innovation mixed in there too, dammit. Games like Shadow of the Colossus, or Zone of the Enders. Or some puzzle games. Or freaky weird shit like Katamari. Stuff that's crazily addictive but will never make its way to the PC.

Long, rambling post, so in summary: To me, the 360 games don't look appetizing enough to warrant the entry price. I'll take a wait-and-see attitude.

Rash said:
Some of the games look very good to me BUT, the lack of AA and high AF on some game demos i have seen on the 360 kiosks has put me off especially when you compare COD2 on both formats, i thought this machine was supposed to shit on everything else? Although i must admit for the price of the xbox you get good graphics etc....but still wont be buying one!

Yea today I was at EB and people were ooing and ahhing at the COD demo and I was liek dude that is so effin ugly compared to my computer....

I have reasons to back it up and I told them.

1. The shadows are set to low
2. looks like a bloom type effect...with almost no shadows? UGLY
3. it uses very little textures so it looks too plain
4. the guns have terrible textures and like no AA
5. OMG guys how in the world does it take 5 shots at the head with an M1 at the head to kill someone? noobs

/337 said:
I live in San Antonio too Staples, what area of town do you live in? I'm getting my 360 from walmart @ 1604/281.
I live near I-10 and Vance Jackson. I have a preorder at a westside Blockbuster. I am picking it up at the midnight launch.

I work near Huebner, I have a feeling there is going to be alot of people in line.

Where I work we have about 20 in stock. They aren't reserved either. They'll be sold on first come first serve on launch day. We don't expect them to last beyond 2 or 3 minutes at the very most.

Then the supply will be gone until who knows when.

Technically since the 360 is computer graphics for the masses I don't see why I should since I have a computer.

Only until they either make Halo 3 for the 360 or some really really nice game would I think about it. Otherwise I have DOA2 and DOA3 for Dreamcast and Xbox. My PC plays COD2 just fine. No reason for me to buy a 360 like all the sheep I'm seeing.

I'm not getting one for at least a year till the price drops. Hopefully by then the system will be hacked. I use my current Xbox for Xbox Media Center. With the addition of high def it will be awesome to see what the homebrew guys can do.

It's pretty pathetic when a group of people who work on something in their spare time can crank out something 20 times better then any company could do and do it all for free. The media extender in the 360 would be great if MS wasn't in bed with the entertainment industry. Why they feel they need to hold your hand while watching a movie or listening to some music is beyond me.

As for the games, yeah they'll be alright but there really isn't anything on there that I can't satisfy with my PC.

As I posted before... All the titles I want, come out on PS3 and I even don't wanna pick up a first gen.. I love sony, but their first gen products always have some kind of fuck up later on down the load. Once xbox = another pc in a box but a smaller foot print this time. Every thing in those machines are going to bargin basement priced eletronics to make them cheaper and yes Kids, they don't make money on the consoles, accessories, live, and games. Unlike Sony, they will be backing profits off the consoles by the first year and prob price drop them, and I wouldn't be surprised if we have another FF7 million console sales with FF13.

ray4389 said:
Yea today I was at EB and people were ooing and ahhing at the COD demo and I was liek dude that is so effin ugly compared to my computer....

I have reasons to back it up and I told them.

1. The shadows are set to low
2. looks like a bloom type effect...with almost no shadows? UGLY
3. it uses very little textures so it looks too plain
4. the guns have terrible textures and like no AA
5. OMG guys how in the world does it take 5 shots at the head with an M1 at the head to kill someone? noobs
All reputable sources say that the 360 version looks as LEAST as good as a top-end PC, yet were supposed to believe you because of what you saw from a non-final kiosk?

diehard said:
All reputable sources say that the 360 version looks as LEAST as good as a top-end PC, yet were supposed to believe you because of what you saw from a non-final kiosk?

#1 No such thing as reputable sources. If they make money off of it in any such way then their observation equals shit.

#2 Learn to love people like ray4389. These are the people who question anything that is given to them. Just cause someone either runs a website or writes articles in a magazine doesn't make their opinion gold.

#3 PC gamers can see better. Since PC gamers are always exposed to higher quality graphics they know their shit. We can see if AA is off or if there isn't enough filtering.

#4 PC gamers are console gamers. We are evolved console gamers. We grew up on console systems. Trust me we know.

diehard said:

The kiosks are final. I don't know where people are getting this crap. That doesn't mean the TV's are configured right, but the hardware is done and in the can.

Now, as far as CoD2 goes, I've played them both on my machine and the Xbox 360 we have on demo where I work part time. I have to say that CoD2 looks just as good as the PC version. Anyone who says it doesn't has a case of wishfull thinking going on. One thing people fail to realize is that your PC's monitor is still clearer and sharper than the Xbox's HDTV's even if they were configured right. Bear this in mind. CoD2 looks the same on both platforms. The SAME.

Frame rates on the Xbox 360 version of CoD2 did drop a bit at one point when the action got really heavy, and that's no surprise. We all have to deal with that from time to time on any platform. For a console the Xbox 360 is very impressive and as far as what it delivers for $399 vs. what a PC can deliver at twice the price, there is no comparison. As a gaming platform the Xbox 360 is a great value.

That being said, I don't generally find that many console games I find worth playing. So I won't get as much out of the new Xbox that others will.

Sir-Fragalot said:
Now, as far as CoD2 goes, I've played them both on my machine and the Xbox 360 we have on demo where I work part time. I have to say that CoD2 looks just as good as the PC version. Anyone who says it doesn't has a case of wishfull thinking going on. One thing people fail to realize is that your PC's monitor is still clearer and sharper than the Xbox's HDTV's even if they were configured right. Bear this in mind. CoD2 looks the same on both platforms. The SAME.

You obviously dont use aa or af on your pc then (both of which are some the main things that the graphics card wars have been about over the past few years), and those samsung hdtvs the xbox 360 kiosks are on here in the UK, ARE just as good a pc monitors

mmm kiosks demos are DEMOS lets compare some of the pc DEMOS screenshots if were going to compare platform, compare the same software

Back