Help a girl out, will ya? :D

Okies, this is what I have:

7300GT $56.99, including shipping.
Abit IP35 146.09 including shipping. With $25.00 MIR, $121.09
2 GB OCZ Platinum DDR2 PC6400: $79.99 + free shipping.
Samsung DVD 18x +/- burner $32.99
Rosewill 500W PSU $47.99 - $10.00 off + free shipping + 15.00 MIR, $32.99
E6750 Processor $183.00 - free shipping.
Scythe Ninja Plus Rev B CPU Cooler $46.32, including shipping.
250 GB HD - Free (already have it)

Total: $593.37

Good enough? :D

Will upgrade as I have the $

Looks good. what made you stay away from Quad's?

I should have elaborated more...

If I were buying a P35 board right now and was on a tight budget, I'd go with like an E6420 (or whatever is similarly priced after the 22nd; should be the E6750), then upgrade to a Yorkfield whenever an attractive one comes out, which should be within the next year.

I don't run anything enough that would make much use of a quadcore... so I'd go for a faster dual core instead. Sure, I edit video, but not enough to make me want a quadcore, hehe.

So, the choice is yours. If you edit video enough to warrant the higher CPU price, then by all means, go for it. Its only ~$83 more, so as long as you have the budget (you mentioned a loan from the 'rents) and the need for it, knock yourself out.

Will upgrade as I have the $

sounds good, but I'd switch the heatsink out for a Thermal Take Big Typhoon. It's 50 after shipping on newegg. As for the RAM, OCZ is nice. I trust Crucial a little more since they're guaranteed to give you good clocking D9GMH IC's, but if you don't care about overclocking, it won't really matter.

Good CPU choice, Good motherboard choice, graphics card should probably be the first to upgrade after this :) .

Not wroth the money for this cooler, i rather spend 5-10 dollars more to get the Tuniq Tower 120 or 20 dollar less to get the Arctic Freezer 7.

http://jab-tech.com/Tuniq-Tower-120-pr-3593.html

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=FAN-AC7PRO

sounds good, but I'd switch the heatsink out for a Thermal Take Big Typhoon. It's 50 after shipping on newegg. As for the RAM, OCZ is nice. I trust Crucial a little more since they're guaranteed to give you good clocking D9GMH IC's, but if you don't care about overclocking, it won't really matter.

Good CPU choice, Good motherboard choice, graphics card should probably be the first to upgrade after this :) .

Since her CPU have a high multiplier, it doesnt really matter which ram to go for. usually they all can go up to at least 400FSB.

Not wroth the money for this cooler, i rather spend 5-10 dollars more to get the Tuniq Tower 120 or 20 dollar less to get the Arctic Freezer 7.

http://jab-tech.com/Tuniq-Tower-120-pr-3593.html

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=FAN-AC7PRO

Since her CPU have a high multiplier, it doesnt really matter which ram to go for. usually they all can go up to at least 400FSB.

arctic freezer is kind of a pointless waste of money. You might as well get a 120mm fan on top of your stock cooler and expand the little aluminum piece of your heatsink slightly. Masscool does that, they just make the stock heatsink a little taller, lol. The big typhoon cools not only your CPU, but also draws air from around your socket as well, creating a better ambient temperature for your RAM and northbridge :)

And as for the RAM, she's running a 1333mhz bus chip, higher clocking RAM would be beneficial if she does overclock.

arctic freezer is kind of a pointless waste of money. You might as well get a 120mm fan on top of your stock cooler and expand the little aluminum piece of your heatsink slightly. Masscool does that, they just make the stock heatsink a little taller, lol. The big typhoon cools not only your CPU, but also draws air from around your socket as well, creating a better ambient temperature for your RAM and northbridge :)

And as for the RAM, she's running a 1333mhz bus chip, higher clocking RAM would be beneficial if she does overclock.

Lol? Big Typhoon is a great cooler for S939 but not so good Core 2 Duo. Also, Arctic Freezer 7 is way better than the stock cooler. Have you ever used it before? Anyway, why would i pay 50 dollar for the Big Typhoon where i can get the Tuniq Tower 120 for the same price? As for the ram, remember this is not an Extreme Overclocking system. Also, it is nice to have high overclocking ram, but you need to pay more.

Looks good. what made you stay away from Quad's?

The suggestion to wait for better ones to come out later & the fact that any C2D would kick the absolute snot out of my current 1.8ghz p4 Celeron hunk of junk :D

I should have elaborated more...

I don't run anything enough that would make much use of a quadcore... so I'd go for a faster dual core instead. Sure, I edit video, but not enough to make me want a quadcore, hehe.

So, the choice is yours. If you edit video enough to warrant the higher CPU price, then by all means, go for it. Its only ~$83 more, so as long as you have the budget (you mentioned a loan from the 'rents) and the need for it, knock yourself out.

I have 83.00 extra dollars I could spend on it, but am just trying to get the best deal I can. :D I do spend a lot of time editing videos- however, like I said above, nearly anything would beat what I have so far. :D If I could get the P5B Deluxe that I want, I'll probably get that FSP Group PSU & the evga 7900GS video card. Then wait for some better quad cores to come out :D But, I'm just trying to put together my basic PC. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh, I did find a Tuniq Tower for 56.99, including shipping. :D - http://www.crazypc.com/products/tuniq_tower_120-5047.html?gclid=CNW6m7fStY0CFR8TOAodFHfuLQ

- Now the question is, which is better (considering I'll eventually go up to a quad core)? Tuniq Tower or Thermaltake Big Typhoon?... :D

Lol? Big Typhoon is a great cooler for S939 but not so good Core 2 Duo. Also, Arctic Freezer 7 is way better than the stock cooler. Have you ever used it before? Anyway, why would i pay 50 dollar for the Big Typhoon where i can get the Tuniq Tower 120 for the same price? As for the ram, remember this is not an Extreme Overclocking system. Also, it is nice to have high overclocking ram, but you need to pay more.

My friend has an E6400 and a BIg Typhoon. On the hottest days in the summer, he gets temps of around 40C load @ 3.6Ghz. If that's not good, then I don't know what is.... good for s939 but not good for C2D? Do you know what you're talking about? Have you even used it? And if you look at the design of the Big Typhoon, the fan is positioned pushing air up and down. That provides for better air circulation for crucial parts by the socket which get hot. I've got a Scythe Ninja Rev. B and I'm happy with it, but it's not big typhoon. Upright heatsinks don't have the convinenence of removing heat around the socket as well as removing heat from the CPU.

My friend has an E6400 and a BIg Typhoon. On the hottest days in the summer, he gets temps of around 40C load @ 3.6Ghz. If that's not good, then I don't know what is.... good for s939 but not good for C2D? Do you know what you're talking about? Have you even used it? And if you look at the design of the Big Typhoon, the fan is positioned pushing air up and down. That provides for better air circulation for crucial parts by the socket which get hot. I've got a Scythe Ninja Rev. B and I'm happy with it, but it's not big typhoon. Upright heatsinks don't have the convinenence of removing heat around the socket as well as removing heat from the CPU.

Ambient temperature? and what is he using to read his temperature? As a matter of fact, i tried Arctic Freezer 7, Big Typhoon, Tuniq Tower, Scythe Ninja and Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme and i get the best out of the Themarlright Ultra 120 Extreme. also,the Themalright 120 Extreme push hot air out directly out of the case. so which is better air ciculation compare to big typhoon?

The bold sentence that i quote, you need to do some re-search before claiming that. As of right now, Themalright Ultra 120 Extreme is the king of air cooling and it is a upright heatsink.

Okie dokie. Hows about this, then?

For a $600-650-ish budget:

7300GT $56.99
2 GB OCZ Platinum DDR2 6400: $79.99 + Free shipping.
FSP Group 500W PSU + free shipping 64.99
E6750 or 6700 Processor $183.00 - free shipping.
Tuniq Tower 120 $56.99, including shipping or Thermaltake Big Typhoon $49.98 - 15.00(MIR)

Grand Total: 621.04 - 25.00 MIR = 596.04

or

Grand Total (Big Typhoon): 614.03 - 40.00(MIR) = 574.03

If my budget is going to be $700.00, here's what I'll do:

7900GS $124.99
MSI P35 Platinum 169.99 + $15.00 MIR = 154.99
Tuniq Tower 120 $56.99, including shipping or Thermaltake Big Typhoon $49.98 - 15.00(MIR)

Grand Total (Tuniq): 711.95 - 15.00(MIR) = 696.95

or

Grand Total (Big Typhoon) 705.93 - 30.00(MIR) = 675.93

Heh heh. You bought 2 of my recos so far. :) The ram :) Finally decided on the IP Abit :) and I'll make one more. The Abit is hands down the BEST for the price and boards costing more.

THERMALRIGHT. They are hands down THE BEST in AIR COOLING.

I have an HR-01 which competes with the best of them and is very inexpensive if you look around. It's such a great deal. There is also the Ultima 90 and the Ultima 120 and Extreme 120. I think I put them in order of price. They are also very easy to put in place.

1 more suggestion and off to work. If you look around you can buy some gems in the F/S @ H. I was able to get the 7600GS that runs at GT speeds for $50. I've also seen a few GT for $60. Try that b4 getting that 7300GT. I know it's used but it WILL make a nice difference in eye "candy".

Enjoy your build... and I think NOT gettng a QUAD was a great idea. I still think getting a E4300 or a E440 is better but your $. They reach 3Ghz and work very nicely and SHOULD hold you easily till the "new" Quads come out.

Enjoy your build! :)

Why go for a Tuniq when the Extreme isn't much more? I think some of the people recommending things are just recommending what they have, even when there are better options.

Thank you! Now I really must go!

I really think you should consider Thermalright. Their support is great as well. I broke a piece of my northbridge heatsink and they charged me nothing to replace. They also answer almost every email.

Okie dokie. Hows about this, then?

For a $600-650-ish budget:

7300GT $56.99

Grand Total: 621.04 - 25.00 MIR = 596.04

or

Grand Total (Big Typhoon): 614.03 - 40.00(MIR) = 574.03

If my budget is going to be $700.00, here's what I'll do:

7900GS $124.99
MSI P35 Platinum 169.99 + $15.00 MIR = 154.99

Grand Total (Tuniq): 711.95 - 15.00(MIR) = 696.95

or

Grand Total (Big Typhoon) 705.93 - 30.00(MIR) = 675.93

I'd grab the Gigabyte P35 board (the cheaper one) before the MSI board personally. Also I've got the Big Typhoon and the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme and I can tell you the latter is FAR superior. The Big Typhoon was never a bad cooler and it still isn't, but newer designs have proven to be superior. Before the rebate crap is done, the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme isn't that much more expenisve. (Not including fan cost.) Also the 7900GS is a world apart from a 7300GT. If you play games at all, this is a no brainer.

I would also go Gigabyte over MSI. And my DS3R was actually cheaper than that MSI listed.

I still think I'd go for the Enhance PSU for that price but Corsair, Seasonic, Fortron are still good.

I reveiwed the MSI P35 Platinum board for the [H] and although I liked it well enough, it didn't impress me very much either. As I recall it had some pretty horrific layout issues.

Even after my previous "high visibility" cyan warning, I had to delete two more posts this AM. I said it earlier and I'm going to say it one more time - this is General[H]ardware, not General[M]ayhem. You all need to post accordingly.

Last warning, guys - keep it on topic for G[H] or threads get locked and folks get vacations for not listening to moderators instructions.

Heh heh. You bought 2 of my recos so far. :) The ram :) Finally decided on the IP Abit :) and I'll make one more. The Abit is hands down the BEST for the price and boards costing more.

THERMALRIGHT. They are hands down THE BEST in AIR COOLING.

I have an HR-01 which competes with the best of them and is very inexpensive if you look around. It's such a great deal. There is also the Ultima 90 and the Ultima 120 and Extreme 120. I think I put them in order of price. They are also very easy to put in place.

1 more suggestion and off to work. If you look around you can buy some gems in the F/S @ H. I was able to get the 7600GS that runs at GT speeds for $50. I've also seen a few GT for $60. Try that b4 getting that 7300GT. I know it's used but it WILL make a nice difference in eye "candy".

Enjoy your build... and I think NOT gettng a QUAD was a great idea. I still think getting a E4300 or a E440 is better but your $. They reach 3Ghz and work very nicely and SHOULD hold you easily till the "new" Quads come out.

Enjoy your build! :)

hehehe! Yep! :D You told me to go with Abit & several other people did, too. It looked like a pretty darn good deal to me, so my frugal self was like YAY!!! :D And it supports quads, so I can upgrade later, if I want to. :) Sounds peachy to me! :D

As for the OCZ memory.. You recommended it & I kept seeing it everywhere since I've been here, so I was like "well, it must be a darn good deal, if everyone is talking about it like this!" lol So I bought some. :D If I had more $ I'd buy 2 of those! :D Can't ever have too much memory! XD

I don't mind getting used stuff. I was just listing the prices for things as I found them online, so I have some idea of what to spend on them. If I could get an inexpensive 7600GT, I'd be very happy with that. :D

I guess I'll have to check out those Thermalright coolers that you guys have mentioned, too. :D They must be pretty good. :D

I really appreciate that all of you have been so gracious to answer my questions and help me get the best deal possible. I feel like you've all put a lot of effort into helping me, and you've worked hard at finding things for me, like you would if it were your own computer. :D Of course there's some minor disagreements, but, without your guys' suggestions, I never would have imagined being able to have a system like this. It's not a $5,000.00 monster, but, it's mine & it's a darn good compy for me! You've all been absolutely wonderful. :D Thank you, arigato gozaimasu, muchos gracias, salamot, xie xie, chezu ba, kamsahamnida, doh je, merci beaucoup, danke schön, mahalo, ua tsaug, makasih, cám ón, toda raba, khawp khun makh, ayoi!!!! (Thank you in as many languages as I can remember lol)

~ HakuDoku :D

In reference to the Scythe Ninja Plus Rev.B...

I have tried the Tuniq, Ninja, and Ultra 120 (w/ yate loon fan; the extreme wasn't out when I built). Out of all 3, the Ninja kept my E6400 the coolest.

8 * 400 = 3.2Ghz @ 1.33125v (stock is 1.325v), DDR2-800 w/ 5-5-5-15 @ 1.8v
temps:
28°C idle, 49°C load, 22°C Ambient -- Ninja
29°C idle, 50°C load, 22°C Ambient -- Ultra120
30°C idle, 50°C load, 22°C Ambient -- Tuniq

These are just my personal experiences with these coolers. I'm not saying the Ninja is for everyone... I'm merely stating that it performs rather well in low airflow cases, and can hold its own in high airflow cases.

With its $40 pricetag, I believe its a very good option for budget minded people. The Tuniq and Ultra120X are both ~$65, making them $25 more, not just $5-$10 more.

I will also mention that I also have an AC F7Pro, and while it cools the chip well at 3.2Ghz, it gets a bit louder than I'd like, and can't keep the chip cool enough for me when its at 3.6Ghz (1.5v).

As of right now, Themalright Ultra 120 Extreme is the king of air cooling and it is a upright heatsink.

I did a little research on this and I'm inclined to agree. In fact, I'd even go as far as to retract my previous statements and will most likely get the Thermalright for myself in my upcoming build, instead of the Scythe Infinity.

Honestly I haven't really done much research into the air cooling market for a while, and figured there hadn't been much change recently. Apparently I was wrong about that though, and after finding out about the Themalright Ultra 120 Extreme I can highly recommend it over all others as long as it's within the budget. :D

In reference to the Scythe Ninja Plus Rev.B...

I have tried the Tuniq, Ninja, and Ultra 120 (w/ yate loon fan; the extreme wasn't out when I built). Out of all 3, the Ninja kept my E6400 the coolest.

8 * 400 = 3.2Ghz @ 1.33125v (stock is 1.325v), DDR2-800 w/ 5-5-5-15 @ 1.8v
temps:
28°C idle, 49°C load, 22°C Ambient -- Ninja
29°C idle, 50°C load, 22°C Ambient -- Ultra120
30°C idle, 50°C load, 22°C Ambient -- Tuniq

These are just my personal experiences with these coolers. I'm not saying the Ninja is for everyone... I'm merely stating that it performs rather well in low airflow cases, and can hold its own in high airflow cases.

With its $40 pricetag, I believe its a very good option for budget minded people. The Tuniq and Ultra120X are both ~$65, making them $25 more, not just $5-$10 more.

I will also mention that I also have an AC F7Pro, and while it cools the chip well at 3.2Ghz, it gets a bit louder than I'd like, and can't keep the chip cool enough for me when its at 3.6Ghz (1.5v).

Seems like my chip is concave or something then, since my Scythe Ninja cools my PD950 to 50C idle, 60C full load. My friend actually ran a BT with a PD950 before his E6400, and his PD950 never hit 55C full load. :confused:

Seems like my chip is concave or something then, since my Scythe Ninja cools my PD950 to 50C idle, 60C full load. My friend actually ran a BT with a PD950 before his E6400, and his PD950 never hit 55C full load. :confused:

They seem a little high.

Try reseating the heatsink.

They seem a little high.

Try reseating the heatsink.

yeah, I'll do that again. I am starting to really think the CPU is still concave. I'll lap it a little farther and see if the CPU is still hitting those temps.

Back