Hearthstone

I'll add you when I get on later Jeremiah.

Here's some of my thoughts from the last few posts I have seen here lately. At this point if you are new to the game and want to be competitive you will likely need to spend quite a bit of money to catch up. I have a friend who started maybe a month ago. I think he said he's had to spend almost $100 just to get some decks going so it doesn't take him hours to finish his daily quests. Lucky for me I've been keeping up with the game since the tail end of beta, haven't spent a dime on the game, and have enough of a collection to do whatever I need to do.

It's definitely a super slow grind. But I refuse to spend money.

My strategy is as follows:
Play the game only twice a week (once every 3 days). Try and reset quests to higher gold rewards. Grind through. Unlock Naxx and the other new set. Then use the same strategy to Arena like crazy. Obviously it requires patience, but I'm pretty busy anyway. If I'm playing more than once a week, it's unusual.

Arena I think is pretty fun, although it seems like other players get those Legendary cards more than I do while drafting. I'm not sure if there is an algorithm to make sure every player gets the same amount of rares etc. It's also fun in the sense that players like me that don't have tons of cards can compete and not have to worry about anything else.

Last edited:

Play the game only twice a week (once every 3 days). Try and reset quests to higher gold rewards. Grind through. Unlock Naxx and the other new set. Then use the same strategy to Arena like crazy. Obviously it requires patience, but I'm pretty busy anyway. If I'm playing more than once a week, it's unusual.

Arena I think is pretty fun, although it seems like other players get those Legendary cards more than I do while drafting. I'm not sure if there is an algorithm to make sure every player gets the same amount of rares etc. It's also fun in the sense that players like me that don't have tons of cards can compete and not have to worry about anything else.

I used to be in that camp, but honestly after spending the money on BWL, and none on GVN and Naxx I can say I am going to drop 20-30 bucks on each of the expansion they do, it really makes the game much more enjoyable, as of right now I am only 20 bucks in for BWL, but after TGT its going to be 40 or 50.

I have to say for the level of simple enjoyment I get out of the game its been well worth the price of admission. I try to get on every night and grind out a quest or a level or two.

I used to be in that camp, but honestly after spending the money on BWL, and none on GVN and Naxx I can say I am going to drop 20-30 bucks on each of the expansion they do, it really makes the game much more enjoyable, as of right now I am only 20 bucks in for BWL, but after TGT its going to be 40 or 50.

I have to say for the level of simple enjoyment I get out of the game its been well worth the price of admission. I try to get on every night and grind out a quest or a level or two.

I just tend to not buy a whole lot of games or spend a lot of money on games in general. Just how I do. I generally don't spend a huge amount of time playing games right now anyway, too preoccupied with work (which is a good thing, that isn't a complaint. Happy to be working).

The most efficient way to quest is to do it everyday. Keep your quest log full. Reroll anything that isn't 60+ and only complete a lower quest if your log is full so you can get a new one the next day.

The most efficient way to quest is to do it everyday. Keep your quest log full. Reroll anything that isn't 60+ and only complete a lower quest if your log is full so you can get a new one the next day.

You're making contradictory statements. You cannot simultaneously keep your quest log full and play everyday. There are 3 quest slots, and the player only receives one quest per day. So in order to have a full log, it takes three days. So unless for whatever reason your suggestion is to wait three days to fill the quest log, then only complete one quest per day, it doesn't make much sense. I would rather do what I'm doing and grind through all three every three days and not try to limit my playing when I do play.

And I already explained my method of waiting and reset.

You're making contradictory statements. You cannot simultaneously keep your quest log full and play everyday. There are 3 quest slots, and the player only receives one quest per day. So in order to have a full log, it takes three days. So unless for whatever reason your suggestion is to wait three days to fill the quest log, then only complete one quest per day, it doesn't make much sense. I would rather do what I'm doing and grind through all three every three days and not try to limit my playing when I do play.

He's just suggesting you log into the client each day to collect your quest and re-roll a bad (40 gold) one, not necessarily that you play any card games. If you log in every day to get and re-roll a quest, but actually play games every 3 days and complete quests, you're getting as much gold from quests as you can expect.

Basically it is this:

60 or 100 gold? Do the quest.
40 gold? reroll the quest.
Still got 40 gold? leave it and wait for tomorrow.
All three slots are 40 gold and you used your reroll? Do one of the 40 gold quests to open up a slot for another quest to be added tomorrow.

Rinse, repeat, profit.

The idea is to maximize the value of your rerolls and give yourself the highest chance of getting a 60 gold or higher quest. You only complete a 40 gold quest when you have no other options. As I said, this is if you want to maximize your quest gold. It is only going to give you marginally more than just simply completing all quests.

Basically it is this:

60 or 100 gold? Do the quest.
40 gold? reroll the quest.
Still got 40 gold? leave it and wait for tomorrow.
All three slots are 40 gold and you used your reroll? Do one of the 40 gold quests to open up a slot for another quest to be added tomorrow.

Rinse, repeat, profit.

The idea is to maximize the value of your rerolls and give yourself the highest chance of getting a 60 gold or higher quest. You only complete a 40 gold quest when you have no other options. As I said, this is if you want to maximize your quest gold. It is only going to give you marginally more than just simply completing all quests.

Makes sense but takes more time in management. It is really tough though for those of us starting new (I wish I would've started earlier... I actually had beta access). It's also really hard to figure out decent decks to build. I have some stuff but not others. Obviously all the newbie decks are available, but where to go from there?

It's too bad that you can't have other people look at your cards (online) and help with deck building.

Lately I've been experiencing a lot of passive-aggressive sportsmanship in this game. Meaning that when I have really clear win conditions on the board my opponents are, pretty often, just letting the clock run on their turn. Sometimes they play a card or two, sometimes they do nothing, but they all just let the fuse burn down and explode on them.

This has happened in nearly a dozen matches over the past 2-3 days. It's only a mild annoyance, but it always makes me wonder why they're doing this. Do they think that I'm so impatient I'll concede the game because they're making me wait?

--------------------
In a completely different category: anyone else here play on multiple platforms? I play on my phone and PC.

This is probably purely confirmation bias, but it does seem like I win many, many more games when I play on my PC as compared to my phone.

Example: when playing on my phone my paladin-rush deck barely made it out of rank 19 after about a dozen games. When I played on the PC last night I skyrocketed up to rank 16.

I have absolutely nothing to back up this theory, but on the whole it seems like I lose a lot more on my phone.

And the expansion is live - weird mid-day release.

I think Blizz always release Hearthstone content at 10AM PST? Maybe they do that so they can get a head start on the connection issues once everything collapses later in the day :p

I opened 93 packs today, 50 from pre-order and the rest with gold

Got 5 legendaries, Justicar Trueheart, Anu'barak, Varian Wrynn, Confessor Paletress and Chillmaw.

Not bad, I feel sorry for the people who got no legendaries with their pre-order.

This is still my most played game for the past year and a half. I have no problem dropping some money on it every several months.

Nice, I opened 21 packs I bought with Amazon coins and got Anub'arak, Eadric and Saraad. I have a bunch of gold saved up, but I'm not sure if I want to buy more packs with it right now. I've got over 10,000 dust available for crafting so I might just wait a couple weeks and see which cards are worth crafting. I finished an arena run 6-3 earlier and had some fun with the new cards. North Sea Kraken is a boss in arena.

90 packs, got Skycap'n Kragg and Skeleton Knight.

*closes game and walks away*

That is the last money I spend on this for a while. I have over 7,000 dust, I am going to chill on the Dust for a while and craft whatever Legendary turns out to be OP. Or Chillmaw. I've wanted to play a Dragon Deck for a while, Chillmaw is cool as hell.

Last edited:
Wow, I just went 0-3 in arena for the first time since Naxx came out. Decent draft too, Ragnaros and Illidan. Twice I lost to North Sea Kraken being dropped and being unable to remove it. Against the rogue, she played Ambush and I drew all three Nerubians in 6 draws, creating a wall I couldn't remove. Ambush was a lucky fluke, but the Kraken is fucking godlike for a common ranked card.
Draft log: http://www.heartharena.com/arena-run/h05648

Wow, I just went 0-3 in arena for the first time since Naxx came out. Decent draft too, Ragnaros and Illidan. Twice I lost to North Sea Kraken being dropped and being unable to remove it. Against the rogue, she played Ambush and I drew all three Nerubians in 6 draws, creating a wall I couldn't remove. Ambush was a lucky fluke, but the Kraken is fucking godlike for a common ranked card.
Draft log: http://www.heartharena.com/arena-run/h05648

That looks really decent for an Arena deck, surprised you went 0-3!

That looks really decent for an Arena deck, surprised you went 0-3!

Yeah, I've gone 12-2 with much worse decks. I had almost no removal though (forced to equip weapons for removal, destroying my health) and by the time they pulled out the Kraken, it was over despite me having Ragnaros or other big guys already on the board. Brutal.

Some may remember that I've been making some videos about the barrier to entry/being competitive in Hearthstone. I've come up with what I believe is one of the lowest costing competitive decks and have detailed out what is needed to create it and about how long it would take a new player to put it together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdsgsImsflk

Some may remember that I've been making some videos about the barrier to entry/being competitive in Hearthstone. I've come up with what I believe is one of the lowest costing competitive decks and have detailed out what is needed to create it and about how long it would take a new player to put it together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdsgsImsflk

I think that Eboladin deck has some sub-optimal cards in it now that TGT is out. There's a few commons and rares from TGT that might slot in better than what you have there for the same dust cost. Murloc Knight is worth a look for sure in a deck like that and it's a common.

I think that Eboladin deck has some sub-optimal cards in it now that TGT is out. There's a few commons and rares from TGT that might slot in better than what you have there for the same dust cost. Murloc Knight is worth a look for sure in a deck like that and it's a common.

You could be correct, but I haven't been able to research those cards yet. I built this deck before the TGT release. Unfortunately I don't have the dust available to really craft anything at the moment, so even if I find good TGT options it'll take a while for them to be available for me.

Midrange hunter seems to still be viable, went up to rank 10 the other night, will see if I can get to 5 with the deck for this weekend.

Midrange hunter seems to still be viable, went up to rank 10 the other night, will see if I can get to 5 with the deck for this weekend.

I was wrecking shit with an unchanged Midrange Hunter deck last night. I think I was 8-1 around Rank 11. Everyone was trying new stuff and I was too pissy at my terrible 90 packs to even look in my collection.

I normally just do Dailies in Ranked so I get golden portraits eventually.

I was wrecking shit with an unchanged Midrange Hunter deck last night. I think I was 8-1 around Rank 11. Everyone was trying new stuff and I was too pissy at my terrible 90 packs to even look in my collection.

I normally just do Dailies in Ranked so I get golden portraits eventually.

My favorite was people playing around bear trap, when I run two freezing and one explosive.

You could be correct, but I haven't been able to research those cards yet. I built this deck before the TGT release. Unfortunately I don't have the dust available to really craft anything at the moment, so even if I find good TGT options it'll take a while for them to be available for me.

Murloc Knight is the new value king, sooo good

Murloc Knight is the new value king, sooo good

duuuude, that card alone saved my arena run 2 days ago. was 0-2, then i comboed out murloc knight a couple of times with the three drop that makes your hero power cost zero next time and BOOM, full board on turn 4. finished 6-2

I often still play Warlock Murloc, I always find the wins fun and almost no one else expects it. Plus so much value from dropping a Murloc Warleader into a Mage's Mirror Entity... Just that alone wins me a lot of games. What deck lists are people running for Paladin Murloc now?

I often still play Warlock Murloc, I always find the wins fun and almost no one else expects it. Plus so much value from dropping a Murloc Warleader into a Mage's Mirror Entity... Just that alone wins me a lot of games. What deck lists are people running for Paladin Murloc now?

It's not so much Murloc Paladin as just Shock/Ebola Paladin with Murloc Knights added. You don't really need any other Murlocs to pull it off, though if you run Bluegill anyway, it's a good addition to the deck.

Murloc Warrior is also hilarious and works well enough to take onto the ladder.

I just finished an arena run 11-3 with this Rogue deck, powered by Buccaneers (2/1 1 mana add +1 attack whenever you equip a weapon):
http://www.heartharena.com/arena-run/1n5n41

I drafted 4 Buccaneers and finished half the games I won by turn 6. If you play Buccaneer on turn 1, your opponent has to remove it immediately or it will allow you to easily control the board with your hero power. Coining out Perdition's Blade on turn 2 with Buccaneer on your board is basically a win again anything but mage.

The games I lost were because my opponent dragged them into late game with good removal. My only late game card was the Kraken and it wasn't up to the challenge all on its own.

Has anyone tried the Heartharena Overlay? I've been having difficulties even getting it set up correctly.

First I installed Overwolf.

Then I had to install the Youtube app just to get Adobe Flash working in the Overwolf environment.

Then I installed the Heartharena Overlay app. I run it, then I run Hearthstone. The Heartharena Overlay app then asks me to log in to Heartharena so I click on the login button. It opens a Firefox browser within Overwolf. I log in to my Heartharena account.

Then I don't know what to do. The Heartharena Overlay app still just shows the login to continue and I can't seem to get past that.

For Blizzcon the players just rolled on and Patron is still right up there, it seems. Shredder or some other replacement.

Rogue deck didn't win every game, but it did trounce the Paladin. Lay on Hands was used so the rogue did/lined up at least 38 and I think Ostkaka was comfortably in the 20s. Though it was conceded.

Has anyone tried the Heartharena Overlay? I've been having difficulties even getting it set up correctly.

First I installed Overwolf.

Then I had to install the Youtube app just to get Adobe Flash working in the Overwolf environment.

Then I installed the Heartharena Overlay app. I run it, then I run Hearthstone. The Heartharena Overlay app then asks me to log in to Heartharena so I click on the login button. It opens a Firefox browser within Overwolf. I log in to my Heartharena account.

Then I don't know what to do. The Heartharena Overlay app still just shows the login to continue and I can't seem to get past that.

I haven't had any issues with the overlay. I would suggest posting on the reddit for them www.reddit.com/r/heartharena

What is the cheapest decent mage deck? I don't have Alex, ice block, basically any epics+ and I don't have even have all the mechs. I do have Shredder and Mad Scientist. No Flamewaker yet, I know it's just unlocked by gold.

If I jumble up Leper Gnome-Mana Wyrm-Zombie Chow and Ice Barrier, 1x Flamestrike, Azure Drake, etc. will it confuse opponents? Arcane Intellect, of course.

I am also interested in 4/3 minions for 3 like Saboteur

I went back and played for the first time since black Mountain or whatever.

Some of these new cards have ridiculous combos to the point you might as well not use any old deck cards. Kind of dumb... My face hunter still rapes, but it would be frustrating trying to build a real deck without all the new cards.

At least with magic the gathering, the new cards blended in relatively balanced with existing ones

What is the cheapest decent mage deck? I don't have Alex, ice block, basically any epics+ and I don't have even have all the mechs. I do have Shredder and Mad Scientist. No Flamewaker yet, I know it's just unlocked by gold.

If I jumble up Leper Gnome-Mana Wyrm-Zombie Chow and Ice Barrier, 1x Flamestrike, Azure Drake, etc. will it confuse opponents? Arcane Intellect, of course.

I am also interested in 4/3 minions for 3 like Saboteur

Mech mage is really cheap and strong. You don't need all of the mechs, and most of the ones you do use are commons anyways. Cards to think of crafting for this are the goblin blastmage (rare) and dr. boom (legendary but can go into any deck it is so strong). Also tinkertown technicians work well and are common.

Basically the deck is an agro-control deck, you put out a lot of strong mechs that synergize. Use some spells like frostbolt, fireball, flamestrike to control and get value while your minions burn him down. If you have Antonidas you can add that in as another win condition because it synergizes well with spare parts you get from mechs.

This game just keeps getting worse and worse.

Are you playing the same game as me? LoE is great so far, and Reno is the most meta-shifting card we've gotten since Grim Patron. Hoping for similarly awesome cards every week for the next 3.

Are you playing the same game as me? LoE is great so far, and Reno is the most meta-shifting card we've gotten since Grim Patron. Hoping for similarly awesome cards every week for the next 3.

Been having a blast with the Renolock deck! nothing beats being whittled down to 5 health or less by a face huntard and then dropping Reno to bring me back to full health and making them insta concede :D

Been having a blast with the Renolock deck! nothing beats being whittled down to 5 health or less by a face huntard and then dropping Reno to bring me back to full health and making them insta concede :D

But not until after you drop two molten giants, then taunt them with sunfury, then play Reno. So you are now 30 hp, two 8/8 taunts, a 2/3, and a 6/4 (? I don't actually remember reno's stats)

Back