HD7950 $449.00?

Amen, brutha!

The REASON why the 6970 was priced at $349.99 was because its performance fit right between the 570 and 580. AMD couldn't have priced it higher and expected it to sell.

The 7970 is in a class of it's own. It's 20% faster than a 580 3GB and costs the same. And people are angry at AMD! LOL. :D

I'll be getting one to replace my 5870 since I game on a U3011. Don't expect the price to drop much. If anything, the price will go UP soon after release and remain there for a while like the 5870 did.

OMG, this.

You done crying yet? First off, the 7970 is about 20% faster than a overclocked 580 and cheaper. It also, is probably 30-40% faster than a stock 580, and only $50 more. So it isn't "slighty " faster as you put it...How does it benefit the company financially to sell a card that is 40-60% faster than a 6970, for $350? I mean, it just makes no sense. If you would rather have a NV card, then why are you even posting in this thread? This card is a beast at stock and sources are saying it has ton of overclocking headroom. If you want premium, you have to pay the premium price. NV has been selling vid cards for years at high prices, and now the roles have switched. Just quit crying about it and buy it if you want it or wait, stop coming on here crying about a price that is actually fair.

This thread is about the 7950, not the 7970.

If it matches a GTX580 and uses far less power, I might be interested.

if your power supply can handle 580 then what's the point?

i rather get nvidia due to better drivers as of late.

but my advice is to wait for Kepler for final decision.

Seeing as most games now released are console ports so are designed for old console hardware it is insanity, or stupidity (take your pick), to spend big bucks on these cards when they are just not needed in most cases. The only people that buy these cards at those prices will be 1% of gamers, not much money to be made out of 1% of gamers.

if your power supply can handle 580 then what's the point?

i rather get nvidia due to better drivers as of late.

but my advice is to wait for Kepler for final decision.

And when is Kepler being released? Do you have a firm date? Do you know what card is being released first? Do you know what its specs are? what its performance is like?

Why not just keep waiting until the next best thing, then you wont ever spend money to regret buying it.

And when is Kepler being released? Do you have a firm date? Do you know what card is being released first? Do you know what its specs are? what its performance is like?

Why not just keep waiting until the next best thing, then you wont ever spend money to regret buying it.

I think it's safe to say the next GTX will be minimum 20-25% faster than the current GTX 580.
Seeing that AMD achieved 40-60% increase over the 6 series, you can also say Nvidia could achieve the same with their 28nm process.
Both companies are releasing new arch on the 28nm process, so the Nvidia card is sure to impress when released.

As for buying decisions, just because a new product is released no one has to run out and buy it because it's available.
I think it's very smart to see what the competitor has to offer before putting down $450-550. If that's up to six months from now, it doesn't matter since all of today's games can be played on the cards we have now.
Maybe someone with a high resolution needs to upgrade(such as yourself), but the average 1080p user can wait.

Unless this 7950 has dual bios / unlockable shaders, forget it. Zero point in buying from AMD this go around. The GTX 780 will be priced about the same and it will be faster than the 7970.

Why do you think AMD even built this feature into the 6970 / 6950's to begin with. Apparently the 7970 has dual bios as well.

There is no freaking way the 7950 @ a staggering $450 dollars that you can't unlock the shaders.

I guess we are within a week or so / less before someone can prove you can or can't.

The world is waiting AMD, did you just throw away millions of dollars or were you smart and decided you wanted your customers money after all?

Common sense. Lulz, you don't release something slower that's more expensive. The math doesn't support Nvidia releasing something slower besides. Look to a year old 580 card if you need context. I'm not sure why someone hasn't posted these numbers but, the 7970 is only faster than the 580 in a very low 25% of the PC titles out there. That's everyone else's numbers and benchmarks, not mine. This is other peoples math. All I did was just cut through the bs. They talk about the card being 10% - 15% faster. Well, if you look at the averages, 20% faster only applies to 10% of the titles out there, a very small number. The 10 - 15% is not even an average, again, those numbers are based on 25% of the pc titles out there. The numbers are even lower when the bigger picture is considered. I think the 7970 is a great card if you are coming from a 5870 or older. For most of us, 80% of us, it's cheaper / wiser to purchase a 2nd 6950 / 6970 card, save a lot of money and be faster than a 7970.

I think we should wait till we see volt tweaks and the overclockability of the 7000 series before do anything. I just think that completely bypassing the 7000 series by just adding another 6970 or 6950 is a mistake until we know the true potential of the card. And if you think for a second that the 780, even if it's just 20% faster than a 7970, that it'll be priced at $550, you're crazy. And also, Xfire isn't just "buy another video card and it works". Some people may have to purchase a new mobo, maybe a bigger case for airflow, worry about heat, purchase a new power supply..... if I were to just "buy another 6970" it'll cost me about $100 for another PS, and another $300 for the 6970.. with my $330 already invested in my current 6970 itll come to $630.... and I'd be pissed if after OC'n the 7970 yields close to teh same performance as 2 6970s, but now I have to worry about XFire issues etc......

Meh, I threw down a little more than $500 bucks 2 generations ago to get a 5870 with 2GB VRAM and 6 Outputs do I could run huge resolutions and still hit 60FPS. If this is better and cheaper and can still do 6 displays, why would I care? All I'm seeing is more and more from amd / ati. I know I'm in the minority, but I tend to buy the biggest most bad ass single GPU videocard I can afford and call it a day... well a couple generations. If this fits the bill, sign me up. I think it's too early to talk about pricing, especially when 1 company has the floor to itself. Things will eventually even out. Whether you're mad or not, then speak with your dollars. This generally gets companies attentions.

Last edited:
Common sense. Lulz, you don't release something slower that's more expensive. The math doesn't support Nvidia releasing something slower besides. Look to a year old 580 card if you need context. I'm not sure why someone hasn't posted these numbers but, the 7970 is only faster than the 580 in a very low 25% of the PC titles out there. That's everyone else's numbers and benchmarks, not mine. This is other peoples math. All I did was just cut through the bs. They talk about the card being 10% - 15% faster. Well, if you look at the averages, 20% faster only applies to 10% of the titles out there, a very small number. The 10 - 15% is not even an average, again, those numbers are based on 25% of the pc titles out there. The numbers are even lower when the bigger picture is considered. I think the 7970 is a great card if you are coming from a 5870 or older. For most of us, 80% of us, it's cheaper / wiser to purchase a 2nd 6950 / 6970 card, save a lot of money and be faster than a 7970.

Also the 7970 isn't as impressive in DX9 games, where the 580 pulls close in performance.
To the get the most out of the 7970, you'll have to play DX11 games primarily or Eyefinity resolutions. The 7970 didn't trounce the 580 in BF3 either.

You better believe it the Nvidia will perform strongly in both DX9 and DX11 titles.
The GTX 580 came out of no where last year, I wouldn't be shocked if rumors start to fly around about Nvidia moving up their projected dates.

A 7970 is slower than a 6990. a 6990 is slower than 6970 crossfire
580 in sli is faster than all of the above.

It really depends on each individual.

Right now, I'm looking for an upgrade soon next year, but the 7970 performance isn't quite what I'm looking for. While I think we can all agree that none of these new GPU will be 2x the performance of the GTX 580, I'm hoping for something that's about 1.5x of the GTX 580 performance

So in this situation, its best to wait for Kepler and see what it offers. Its not about waiting for the next best thing, its about waiting for one that falls into the performance range each individual is aiming for.

Of course if you're aiming for something that's a 30% improvement over GTX 580, by all means look no further.

The issue here for me is everyone is comparing this card with a year old architecture saying it's priced fairly. Think how much an i7 would cost compared to an original Pentium if you compared price/performance across all those years. Tech doesn't cost itteratively more every year, at least not everything else. These cards are already getting to the point where normal people can't justify the costs.

The issue here for me is everyone is comparing this card with a year old architecture saying it's priced fairly. Think how much an i7 would cost compared to an original Pentium if you compared price/performance across all those years. Tech doesn't cost itteratively more every year, at least not everything else. These cards are already getting to the point where normal people can't justify the costs.

*Raises Eye Brow*

You realize that in the not to distant past 500$ was pretty standard for the high end cards?

eg.

the 6800 Ultra - 500$ at Release
7800 GTX - 600$ at Release
8800GTX Ultra - >800$ at Release

X1900XTX - 649$ at release

Even teh Voodoo2 SLI setup was 600$ (plus you had to have another 2D card)

ATI has definately spoiled us with their awesome pricing in the past and has forced Nvidia's hand from the 8800GTX Ultra pricing fiasco but i'm not at all suprised with the price of the 7970.. We just need Nvidia to get back into the game (manufacturing wise) and get the price back down.

Last edited:
that's some stiff pricing for sure but we all know less units moved = lower prices so you all know what to do.....

AMD has built their video card market by offering great performing cards at prices that more gamers can afford. The high price is not welcome by their established market.

You are more of a 7770 type customer so why are you even concerned?

Both companies are releasing new arch on the 28nm process, so the Nvidia card is sure to impress when released.

Really? I thought that Fermi (this generation) was the "new" architecture for Nvidia and that Kepler would be an evolution of it, not a new design. Where did you read this?

Really? I thought that Fermi (this generation) was the "new" architecture for Nvidia and that Kepler would be an evolution of it, not a new design. Where did you read this?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/hot-topics/nvidia-kepler

Generally when the name changes, the arch changes with Nvidia. Fermi has been used in two generations already, the 400 series was the original and the 500 series refresh.
Fermi isn't capable of single card surround among many other features AMD currently has. A new arch is need to keep up with AMD.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/hot-topics/nvidia-kepler

Generally when the name changes, the arch changes with Nvidia. Fermi has been used in two generations already, the 400 series was the original and the 500 series refresh.
Fermi isn't capable of single card surround among many other features AMD currently has. A new arch is need to keep up with AMD.

Did you read the article? Looks like Anton Shilov is confused. He has direct quotes from Huang in his article but none mention Kepler being a new architecture.

*Raises Eye Brow*

You realize that in the not to distant past 500$ was pretty standard for the high end cards?

eg.

the 6800 Ultra - 500$ at Release
7800 GTX - 600$ at Release
8800GTX Ultra - >800$ at Release

X1900XTX - 649$ at release

Even teh Voodoo2 SLI setup was 600$ (plus you had to have another 2D card)

ATI has definately spoiled us with their awesome pricing in the past and has forced Nvidia's hand from the 8800GTX Ultra pricing fiasco but i'm not at all suprised with the price of the 7970.. We just need Nvidia to get back into the game (manufacturing wise) and get the price back down.

I'm with you on this AMD had spoiled people on prices. I have owned the Voodoo SLI, 9700 pro, 6800 ultra, 7800 GTX, 8800 GTX..When I was single I use to spend alot on cards. All around the 500 range in price. High end has all ways been in the 500 range. I don't know why every one is whinning about a 550 dallor card. It's what the top card has all ways been priced. If the thing OC's like a beast, I'll toss a water block on it and call it a day. If it suports 20x30x20 gaming with the new eye2.0. If not I'll just pick up a use 580gtx or 6970. Running a single 260 gtx @ 2560x1600. Sold my main rig about to build a new one. The 6970 I did have in it played pretty much everything fine @ 2560x1600 so anything faster would just be icing on the cake.

i don't see anything wrong with this price.

figure the 7870 is the 6970 nex gen replacement.

the 7950 offers better performance, the 7970 improves upon it for a bit more.

Honestly i am just waiting for the non reference 7870's. I figure they will be on the shevles in force in 6 months.

You are more of a 7770 type customer so why are you even concerned?

Will be interesting to see how 2xhd7770 in cross fire compare to single hd7950 at 1920x1080 on single display.

Right now I game with single water cooled gtx470 on 120hz display. I'm hoping AMD or NVIDIA have a single 28NM video card for no more than $300 that will be at least a 35% performance upgrade while making a nice lower heat and power load improvement. I will be water cooling my next single video card as well.

High end gpu cost so much

It's so stupid cause you can but atm two gtx 460 in sli for about 300$ They are on par with a gtx 580 that cost 550$

I mean wut? They need to price better their cards and compare them to what power they offer.

I'm waiting for the 6000's to crash down in price so i can get another 6870

honestly they are already pretty cheap, can be found under 150$ brand new. Not sure how much cheaper they will get before their production is halted.

2 GPUs on a single chip? Exactly how much should it cost?

6GB's of RAM too, for what that's worth. Probably costs at least $100 right there.

The way I look at it these cards are for rich people. Like if you're a basketball player and make 8 million a year, why not?

goes to performance too. since 7970 already slot above gtx 580 which is $580 for the 3gb version.

honestly they are already pretty cheap, can be found under 150$ brand new. Not sure how much cheaper they will get before their production is halted.

I think one was 129 after rebate on newegg just today. Pretty great friggen cards really.

Did you read the article? Looks like Anton Shilov is confused. He has direct quotes from Huang in his article but none mention Kepler being a new architecture.

You can google many websites that confirm in the same info:

http://www.guru3d.com/news/nvidia-kepler-is-succesor-to-fermi--due-2011-already/

Some interesting news coming from NVIDIA. It seems that they have been hard at work on a new GPU architecture. Typically NVIDIA introduces a new architecture one every two years, they are certainly skipping a beat this time as the product might launch somewhere in 2011. According to Jen-Hsun Huang hundreds of engineers are already hard at work on new GPU architecture under codename "Kepler", expected to go to production this year and ship in 2011.

Huang noted that Nvidia doesn’t talk about its roadmap. Rivals will note that the chips talked about today are “vaporware.” In fact, a year ago, Huang stood up at the company’s conference in October holding up a Fermi-based graphics card. But Nvidia didn’t introduce Fermi-based chips until March.

Kepler's will be based on a 28nm fabrication process, and deliver an estimated 3 to 4 times the performance per watt compared to Fermi, which first products rolled out of the fabs only earlier this year. The roadmap also showed "Maxwell" due in 2013 supposedly bringing a sixteen-fold increase in parallel graphics-based computing just two years after that, including advanced features like the ability to autonomously process some content independent of a CPU.

Not one website I read states that Kelper is an evolution of Fermi.
Kelper is touting 3-4 times the performance per watt, no way they will get that out of a third generation Fermi chip.

Sorry for the hijack, back to the OP topic.

3-4 times the efficiency is INSANELY impressive if they can pull it off!
can't wait for those bad boys to land

You can google many websites that confirm in the same info:

http://www.guru3d.com/news/nvidia-kepler-is-succesor-to-fermi--due-2011-already/

Not one website I read states that Kelper is an evolution of Fermi.
Kelper is touting 3-4 times the performance per watt, no way they will get that out of a third generation Fermi chip.

Sorry for the hijack, back to the OP topic.

All those websites have same info, one picture with a dot of where Kepler is at. Just recently did we see new "info" (a chart with models numbers and time frames).

Hopefully we will find out soon. If not at least a few versions in Q1 at least some solid info. And why do you think that 3~4 times the perf per watt is not possible? They did it with the previous architecture (8800GTS to the GTX 285)

I can't remember where I read it, but I just read the other day Nvidia was looking at a 50% performance per watt gain in 3d applications and 100% gain in gpu compute stuff.

3-4x performance/watt is quite silly and isn't going to happen here.

Back